Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #221
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter

"Hey, look at me, I'm an in-depth baseball simulator, that appeals to baseball nerds of all levels! My 19th century play is a little gunked up!"

"Has this joke been made already, or what?"
Old 04-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #222
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for this! I don't remember seeing these news items last year..

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #223
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Note the "51th" typo. There apparently isn't special coding for that... which is weird, since it worked right in OOTP11. Also, why did you delete history?
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #224
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Note the "51th" typo. There apparently isn't special coding for that... which is weird, since it worked right in OOTP11. Also, why did you delete history?
I did a fantasy draft with the MLB QB in 2010 (ootp 11) and then erased history so it could write its own.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #225
JMDurron
All Star Starter

I absolutely love the re-worked Team Home screen. All the stats and leaders that I want, plus standings, plus team rankings on a screen that loads about 5x faster than the OOTP 12 team home screen.

In fact, the whole game seems faster on a machine that has not changed since OOTP. Loads faster, selects a league faster, goes from screen to screen a tad faster...seems like some background code optimization may have happened here, unless I'm just suffering from SSS issues.

My only issue so far is the broken international scouting/MLB contract issue that is keeping me from playing a Modern MLB League, but I'm loving how my historical League from OOTP 12 looks and feels with the new interface.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #226
Mariners fan 24
Minors (Single A)

Love the new interface, it really gives the game a fresh feeling after having the same one for several versions. And not sure if this is a bug or not, but pitchers with green or better control have inflated ERAs even when all of their other stats say that they should be much better. Maybe it has to do with the change with relievers where they are more volatile? I never had this problem with 12 though, where starters ERA fluctuated so much.
Mariners fan 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #227
Reggie
Major Leagues

I didn't lose my job ( was waiting to find out before ordering).. so I will be ordering OOTP13 later tonight after I cut my grass. Can't wait!
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #228
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I didn't lose my job ( was waiting to find out before ordering).. so I will be ordering OOTP13 later tonight after I cut my grass. Can't wait!
That's great to hear!
Old 05-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #229
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Great game. Getting better all the time.

But it gets better partly due to our feedback. So here are three minor issues for future consideration, IMO:
  1. The deficient font, to beat a dead horse. Loading the verda font from OOTP 12 and using the dark skin works for me. Please just keep this important aspect in mind for the next version.
  2. The Recently Visited Players list for the Player Comparison module still does not function correctly and has not for the past few versions of this game. Try it yourself and correct me if I'm wrong. The first name on the list is the player you are currently viewing and the second name might be somebody you saw recently but the rest of the list will be names that you don't even remember visiting.
  3. Can somebody explain to me what the Balance column represents on the Team Index page? This poor guy asked this question a few months ago and never got an answer, and I spent the better part of an hour last night trying to figure it out. No luck. Can anyone explain it?
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #230
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Suggestion

What I think would be cool if it was added to this game is if some players had brothers, fathers, grandfathers, that played in the league and that in player profiles it had like a "Family" tab or something like that. It would be cool in my fictional league. But for example, in Tony Gwynn Jr's player profile it would say he was the son of Tony Gwynn Senior.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #231
Tycobbler
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post

But it gets better partly due to our feedback. So here are three minor issues for future consideration, IMO:
  1. The deficient font, to beat a dead horse. Loading the verda font from OOTP 12 and using the dark skin works for me. Please just keep this important aspect in mind for the next version.
  2. The Recently Visited Players list for the Player Comparison module still does not function correctly and has not for the past few versions of this game. Try it yourself and correct me if I'm wrong. The first name on the list is the player you are currently viewing and the second name might be somebody you saw recently but the rest of the list will be names that you don't even remember visiting.
  3. Can somebody explain to me what the Balance column represents on the Team Index page? This poor guy asked this question a few months ago and never got an answer, and I spent the better part of an hour last night trying to figure it out. No luck. Can anyone explain it?
To piggyback on Yankeefan's... he know's who he is (Lord i hate the Yankees) points.

1. current font; in a word sucks
2. for me; recently visited player in minor league level page; which shoots right back to the top.... i want it to be right where i left it.
3. i 2nd this!
Tycobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #232
zappa1
All Star Starter

7 day disabled list

I was wondering why there is no 7 day disabled list. This is for a player who leaves the team for personal reasons. A funeral or new baby in the family.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #233
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa1 View Post
I was wondering why there is no 7 day disabled list. This is for a player who leaves the team for personal reasons. A funeral or new baby in the family.
The 7-day disabled list is for players who suffer a concussion. It was created in 2011. It's not in OOTP, but maybe it should be. I don't have an opinion one way or the other, nor do I know if it would be easy for Markus to implement.

In real life, players who leave for a funeral or family illness are placed on the bereavement list and must miss a minimum of three games and a maximum of seven. Players who leave for the birth of a child are placed on the paternity list and must miss at least one game and no more than three. I would think these would be coding issues in OOTP as they would require certain storylines to take place just to make the player eligible for these lists.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #234
zappa1
All Star Starter

Yes I agree it would tie in with the story lines. It would announce that so and so has left the team for personal reasons something like Oswalt did last year when his family was in danger from those tornados. Maybe they could work it into the program. Some players are only day to day but might be out 10 days taking up a roster spot and you can't even pinch hit the guy. I had a guy like that out with a sprained finger and just had to keep him on the bench for nothing.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #235
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa1 View Post
Yes I agree it would tie in with the story lines. It would announce that so and so has left the team for personal reasons something like Oswalt did last year when his family was in danger from those tornados. Maybe they could work it into the program. Some players are only day to day but might be out 10 days taking up a roster spot and you can't even pinch hit the guy. I had a guy like that out with a sprained finger and just had to keep him on the bench for nothing.
I think you might be missing the point a little bit. In real life, the 7-Day disabled list is ONLY for players with a concussion. A guy whose day-to-day with any other injury can only be placed on the 15-day disabled list.

If you're asking for a 7-Day DL for players with any type of injury, I don't think you're going to get that.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #236
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Somebody look at this!!!!

So I have a minor issue that doesn't matter much.
I don't know how to post a screenshot on this comment otherwise I would've.
So what's going on is I was playing on my fictional league and when the Cy Young award message came up at the end of the season, this pitcher that I traded the year before won it but the message said "The 2080 Eastern League Cy Young Award winner is Bill Chute(my former player) of the Miami Manatees (my team). He played a full season on the other team and it's kinda weird. Anybody else see this?

EDIT: It happened again the next year, same guy!!!!

Last edited by Tyler87898; 05-12-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #237
marxiedog
Bat Boy

how to enjoy the game or how i stopped worrying about simulation accuracy

I have ordered the past 4 editions of this game and have always lost interest in it because of the lack of accuracy and believable AI. It never worked as a replay sim, and quite frankly still falls short in that respect. There are much better options if you want to replay a season with transactions and lineups. OOTP as played lineups/transactions are toothless and pointless, in my opinion, because I have had the AI use like 35 players on the roster in extra inning contests.
But I digress. The reason I bring that up is because I have unlocked the "how" in how to enjoy this wonderful game. I was always so caught up in the unrealism in the game; the crazy lineups, the AI ability to always choose the rookies over established vets, the mind numbing unceasing platoons, the bonker trades.
Despite the shortcomings I always found myself giving it another chance, mostly because the display and layout and easy installation of mods makes it incredible to browse for hours.
OOTP 13 has finally clicked for me. Like taking a Kierkegaard leap of religious faith I realized you had to do the same with OOTP. You cannot question the "why" of the AI or compare it to other games or even realty, you just have to accept the decisions and move on. I f the AI wants to rot Mark Trumbo on the bench or insists on platoonig Jose Lopez with Jasaon Kipnis at second you just have to take that leap of faith...and let the games other attributes wash over you blissfully....this game is great once you jump from the precipice... and once I get really irritated with some decision or other, then i just play DMB or Action PC for a while to get it out of my system....
Nate
marxiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:39 AM   #238
reddawg
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxiedog View Post
I have ordered the past 4 editions of this game and have always lost interest in it because of the lack of accuracy and believable AI. It never worked as a replay sim, and quite frankly still falls short in that respect. There are much better options if you want to replay a season with transactions and lineups. OOTP as played lineups/transactions are toothless and pointless, in my opinion, because I have had the AI use like 35 players on the roster in extra inning contests.
But I digress. The reason I bring that up is because I have unlocked the "how" in how to enjoy this wonderful game. I was always so caught up in the unrealism in the game; the crazy lineups, the AI ability to always choose the rookies over established vets, the mind numbing unceasing platoons, the bonker trades.
Despite the shortcomings I always found myself giving it another chance, mostly because the display and layout and easy installation of mods makes it incredible to browse for hours.
OOTP 13 has finally clicked for me. Like taking a Kierkegaard leap of religious faith I realized you had to do the same with OOTP. You cannot question the "why" of the AI or compare it to other games or even realty, you just have to accept the decisions and move on. I f the AI wants to rot Mark Trumbo on the bench or insists on platoonig Jose Lopez with Jasaon Kipnis at second you just have to take that leap of faith...and let the games other attributes wash over you blissfully....this game is great once you jump from the precipice... and once I get really irritated with some decision or other, then i just play DMB or Action PC for a while to get it out of my system....
Nate
Here here....sounds like a fairly good way to approach most games or sims.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #239
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post

Add this:

4. http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...er-notice.html

Want to know what I'm doing right at this moment? I'm copying my OOTP13 league to the OOTP12 saved game folder to see if I can open it up and resume with the old version.*

* Nope. "You can't go home again."

But, you know, I'm looking at OOTP12 again versus the announced enticements of 13:

2012 Major League Rosters - don't care; don't play that way.
Real-Time Simulation Mode - don't care; don't play that way.
Interactive Storylines - sounded very interesting but need development; cannot play with them enabled right now.
League Associations and Expanded Playoff Modes - don't care; don't play that way.
Redesigned Interface - OK, but in OOTP12 I didn't have to swap fonts and use the dark skin to save my eyesight.
Improved Online League Play - don't care; don't play that way.
Core Engine Improvements - aside from "Improved pitcher creation & development" which I did notice and will miss, they say the same stuff every year.

So, why did I upgrade? Why am I beating my head on a wall with 13 when I was enjoying the heck out of 12?

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 05-17-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #240
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, see that "Yep, Storylines are off for now" thread for what I figured out. Here's what I'm going to do:

Since I only have six years in this OOTP13, I'm going to can this league. I'm going to reconstruct it in OOTP12 and enjoy that FINISHED game which I can play WITHOUT EYESTRAIN.

I am going to keep an eye out for what happens with 13, though. I understand about the font and not being able to redesign all the windows, fine. But the darned Offseason window needs to get fixed, the moving icon bar issue resolved, the Storylines get tamed, and maybe the two other things that I mentioned above finally get addressed after all this time, before I think of coming back to 13 again.

And 14's font better be highly legible and pleasant to read or else that will be it for me. Not that I matter, of course. I'm only one customer.

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 05-18-2012 at 12:06 AM.