Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 04-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
eMLBCommish
All Star Reserve

Hardball Heroes - A Total Sports World Production

<!-- begin embedded Flash file... -->
<table border='0' cellpadding='0' align="center">
<tr><td>
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="400" height="400" id="HHMovie" align="middle">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.hardball-heroes.com/images/HHMovie.swf" /><param name="loop" value="false" /><param name="menu" value="false" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#333333" /><embed src="http://www.hardball-heroes.com/images/HHMovie.swf" loop="false" menu="false" quality="high" bgcolor="#333333" width="400" height="400" name="HHMovie" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
</object> </td></tr>
</table> <!-- ...end embedded Flash file -->

Introducing Hardball Heroes

Brought to you by:

3 longtime Commissioners combine to provide a retrospective look at baseball in the Golden Era

Hardball Heroes, the latest offering from Total Sports World (TSW), takes you back in time to a place where baseball was always played in the afternoon, where it was a game, a passion....a true American Pasttime.

Hardball Heroes takes you back in time, to the mid-1930s, where all the major independent leagues of the early twentieth century played. A combined collaboration of over 15 real life years (and countless simulated seasons!) of Commissioner experience is provided to those who join what will become the largest OOTP online world ever created in a historical/fictional setting.

Your Commissioners:

"The General" Mark Cooley

Mark has been a longtime user of OOTP, going back to OOTP 2. While he has been in a variety of online leagues, his passion was fictional/historical type settings, which culminated in Glory Days Baseball, a historical league set in 1920 that he ran through the mid-30s. Mark is thrilled to put together Hardball Heroes, and created the movie and logo present in this announcement. Mark is the Founder of Total Sports World, and currently runs the highly successful Gridiron Glory, a Bowl Bound College Football league, with 119 active human owners currently in it.

James "LB" LeBlond

"LB", as he's known, has been a lifelong gamer, having run all kinds of leagues with his local friends back in his grammar school, high school, and college days. What LB really wanted was the ability to run a complete league with all teams owned. That became a reality as the internet evolved. After spending 1995 through part of 2000 learning how leagues were run, and what kind of effort it took to run one well, LB's dreams to be the ultimate entertainer became a reality as Electronic Major League Baseball (eMLB) was born in July of 2000. To this day, eMLB continues to operate, 7 1/2 years and 16 seasons later using the same database of players and history. LB has been an OOTP Fan since OOTP 3. While he admits to being more of a modern baseball guy, LB is very knowledgeable about baseball's past, and excited to support this venture. LeBlond is a Board of Director and Director of Marketing for Total Sports World.

Mike Dills

Mike is another example of a dedicated Commissioner. Having inherited USBA from Scott Fite almost 2 years ago, Mike has solidly positioned USBA to be one of the best fictional leagues available in the OOTP world. Another fan of OOTP since OOTP 2, Mike is proud of the almost 6 years of USBA's existence, and looks forward to its continued tradition and longevity. Mike is a Board of Director for Total Sports World.

The Setup:

Included in the league are 7 leagues of 12 teams each, operating independent of each, but allowing trading
amongst any of Hardball Heroes' 84 historical teams!

What leagues are included:

-- American Association
-- International League
-- Southern Association
-- Pacific Coast League
-- Independence League (Negro clubs)
-- Latino League (Cuban, Dominican, and Puerto Rican clubs)
-- Texican League (Texas League and Mexican League clubs)

What it offers:

-- Separate names db for each league giving true ethnic names to each league each year.
-- Facegen altered to give correct faces to each set of players.
-- Historical names db created just for this league.
-- 154 game schedule for each league.
-- Era correct financials/salaries.
-- Era specific game results

Total Sports World (TSW) is proud to present the latest of its highly successful and promising OOTP Leagues. To complement the highly successful eMLB (Modern Teams, Modern Players), and USBA (Fictional Teams, Fictional Players), TSW has added the element of yester-year in baseball by creating what will soon be the largest online OOTP World in a Historical Teams/Fictional Players setting.

For more information, please visit the Hardball Heroes website, and see what teams are still available for the inaugural season.

If you're interested in a team, please be sure to fill out our application.

Hardball Heroes - The Glory Days are Back!

The Man Behind eMLB - https://atl-02.statsplus.net/emlb/re..._150_home.html

Proud OOTP Affiliate Streamer
Proud Twitch Partner (Partnered 3/15/22)

Last edited by eMLBCommish; 04-05-2008 at 08:48 AM.
eMLBCommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

The application has been fixed and is now operational on the site.

Last edited by Cooleyvol; 04-04-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:25 AM   #3
udbacker58
All Star Starter

I can't wait!
udbacker58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
robster1225
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, this is gonna be sweet.
robster1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:21 AM   #5
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Would like to know more about financial system. Will there be free agency?
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:33 AM   #6
marc
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post
Would like to know more about financial system. Will there be free agency?
Yes there will be free agency, financial settings will be based on the time period.

Any OOTP player that doesn't apply for this league is nuts.

marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #7
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

I'll answer this as well--

Financials are era correct and free agency is a part of the world.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

What kind of sim schedule will you have?

#games per sim, sims per week
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #9
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

We're looking at 7 days per sim/3 sims per week.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
eMLBCommish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol View Post
We're looking at 7 days per sim/3 sims per week.
The benefits of having 3 Commishes capable of each doing one sim/week.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
Mike1
Minors (Triple A)

I'm also going to get Getch's utilities going as well...those make a huge difference when it comes to the draft and AS voting.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Forums are completed and operational. Work continues on links, etc. as the coaching resumes continue to stream in. Thanks to all interested; we're stoked to get this up and running.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #13
kq76
Global Moderator

A rules page and league zip would be nice, but seeing as how Cooley is one of the three I'll probably be sending in my app shortly anyways.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #14
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

A zip is created already, but we'll be giving that out once we start filling clubs.

As for rules, they are being worked on as well. For now, era correct financials, world wide free agency, and what is listed above should give a good idea of what's to come.

Last edited by Cooleyvol; 04-05-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
kq76
Global Moderator

How are you awarding teams: first come first serve or..?

When will you be announcing who get which teams?

Are there plans to switch to OOTP9 as soon as it comes out or are you planning on staying with OOTP8 far beyond or...?

How are you handling the scouting?

I'm a bit concerned that this 3 commishes thing isn't going to work out as great as it might sound. Any comments to assuage those fears?

I think I had some more questions, but I forgot them. Maybe I'll remember them later.

EDIT: Oh yeah! Maybe the most important: when do you think the league is likely to start? I know it took us a good month or so to write the rules for the KBL so if you're just starting them it might be awhile.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #16
eMLBCommish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
How are you awarding teams: first come first serve or..?
I'll let Cooley field this one.

Quote:
When will you be announcing who get which teams?
I'm assuming when we have at least 84 applicants. We're not concerned on getting this at all.

Quote:
Are there plans to switch to OOTP9 as soon as it comes out or are you planning on staying with OOTP8 far beyond or...?
The plan is to "tentatively" switch to OOTP9, but we do anticipate at least one full season under OOTP8/2007. Of course, either of those versions will be accepted, and people must have the game!

Quote:
How are you handling the scouting?
Another Cooley question. I have scouting on in eMLB, and want Scouting on in HH, but I may be in the minority. I can roll with it either way.

Quote:
I'm a bit concerned that this 3 commishes thing isn't going to work out as great as it might sound. Any comments to assuage those fears?
Obviously, since you're a non-TSW person joining this, you don't know the three of us, but of course we know you (I'm League ID 00005 on the Directory, btw).

We've worked extremely well for 9+ months now as a community that's grown to 637 members since last July. While we have fun, Cooley and I work TSW like a business, and don't take on anything unless we believe we can do it. The idea of the "King Ghidorah Commish" setup is to assure HH gets the attention of high quality Commissioners running a well run product, without giving up on what is still our primary loves...Gridiron Glory for Cooley, USBA for Mike, and eMLB for myself.

I'm not as concerned about league stability. Unless I'm missing what your claimed fear is that you need calmed...?

Quote:
EDIT: Oh yeah! Maybe the most important: when do you think the league is likely to start? I know it took us a good month or so to write the rules for the KBL so if you're just starting them it might be awhile.
We don't plan on taking too long before we get the league started. The three of us are hammering out the specifics right now. We're mostly interested in getting our core put together, and building from there.

We're excited how Hardball Heroes will compliment the already successful OOTP leagues at Total Sports World. The opportunity to work with a larger sample size of owners will provide for tremendous potential and creativity beyond what TSW as a brand currently provides. The possibilities are almost limitless, and we look forward to the entertainment value we feel a product such as this will provide.

Hope this helps. I see your submitted app, which is a good sign.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #17
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Kieran, awarding teams first come, first served is a good way to have a bad league. The first wave of teams will be awarded later this weekend and then we'll expect those not around on the weekend to submit come Sunday night/Monday.

As for OOTP9, it will be looked at after the first season to assess its readiness for online leagues.

I expect scouts to not be used. It opens up a few concerns on my behalf.

Concerned over these 3 running a league? Don't be.

A month to write rules? We have a couple good skeletons to work with already, plus, its my opinion that you can 'rule' yourself to death.

Don't fret, I assure this is going to be a great experience. Work has been going on all day today behind the scenes by a multitude at TSW getting all sorts of things done.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #18
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMLBCommish View Post
I'm assuming when we have at least 84 applicants. We're not concerned on getting this at all.
You're not concerned about filling all the teams right away or you're not concerned about announcing who gets what right away? I myself can wait; I'm just curious (anxious?) like I'm sure others are.

Quote:
The plan is to "tentatively" switch to OOTP9, but we do anticipate at least one full season under OOTP8/2007. Of course, either of those versions will be accepted, and people must have the game!
Good stuff.

Quote:
Another Cooley question. I have scouting on in eMLB, and want Scouting on in HH, but I may be in the minority. I can roll with it either way.
Scouting isn't my favourite part of the game, but if you switch to OOTP9 (scouting is reportedly being worked on) for the second season as it sounds like you might, then I can probably put up with it for 1 season. It might be a big issue for some.

Quote:
Obviously, since you're a non-TSW person joining this, you don't know the three of us, but of course we know you (I'm League ID 00005 on the Directory, btw).
Oh, I recognize all of you. I was in a league commished by Cooley years ago, though, and while he was a little laidback , I was very comfortable with his commishing style and was wanting to get into an OOTP8 or 9 league commished by him.

My question was more along the lines, however, of: league files being screwed up, possible disagreements amongst the three of you, miscommunication, that sort of thing. You know, the whole "the more parts to a system the more likely it is to break down" thing. I know some leagues have been successful with two or three commishes, but I know that when I did that I was always concerned that the league files would get screwed or something because someone didn't follow the sim checklist to the letter. I had some great guys backing me up so I shouldn't have worried and it never did happen, but they only stepped in on the rare occasion, not like you have this planned.

Don't get me wrong, I'm confident you guys have, or at least will have, all your ducks in a row, I just think it needed to be brought up.

Quote:
We don't plan on taking too long before we get the league started. The three of us are hammering out the specifics right now. We're mostly interested in getting our core put together, and building from there.
Yeah, that's not a bad way to go. We probably went a little overboard on the planning and no matter how much you plan certain things are going to come up that you didn't expect. Besides, the three of you have tonnes of experience so except for some stuff that might be new in OOTP9, you've probably seen all there is to see.

Quote:
Hope this helps. I see your submitted app, which is a good sign.
I saw the thread last night, but was too tired to look into it. Now I worry that I got my app in too late and might not get one of my favourite teams.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #19
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

kq, we're not concerned about filling all the teams. As I said, the weekend group of apps will be placed this weekend.

We're in a good spot at TSW in that we not only have three commishes for this league that know what they're doing (and two other TSW Board members), but we also have the entire TSW community who pitches in on projects such as this. You can't have 13 online leagues plus a wrestling e-fed up and running without help.

.................I'm not sure I remember me as too laid back in the days you speak of. haha

Trust me, this will work as a well oiled machine with no hiccups. None of us announce things off the cuff without talking to each other first with regard to TSW decisions. This league will be no different.

As for your team -- you're the only app I have with that club at the top of the list. With 84 clubs, at this point, its going to be hard not to get one of the teams you list.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #20
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
.................I'm not sure I remember me as too laid back in the days you speak of. haha
Well, from what I've seen on the boards here the last few years, you have gotten a tad touchy (grumpy?) so maybe that was just a thing of the past. I hope it's still okay for us to tease you incessantly though.

I more meant you were just more interpretive on the rules; not so much like me where if a happens then x is to happen, if b then y, etc. I don't really see one as necessarily being better than the other however.

Personally, I'd really like to see a lot of the old-timers like devaneyfan and asamford come out for this league and with how many teams there are available I think there's a good chance of that happening. Those were some good times.

Quote:
Trust me, this will work as a well oiled machine with no hiccups. None of us announce things off the cuff without talking to each other first with regard to TSW decisions. This league will be no different.
Good stuff. Besides, it's a part of your company so there's even more incentive to see it work as flawlessly as possible. I'm on board. No worries from me now.

Quote:
As for your team -- you're the only app I have with that club at the top of the list. With 84 clubs, at this point, its going to be hard not to get one of the teams you list.
Yeah, I figured it was just another bout of paranoia. Still, I'm pleased to hear it.

My apologies for hogging the thread.