Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2004, 10:44 AM   #81
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I should have clarified that. Thanks, Kieran.

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 05:35 PM   #82
kq76
Global Moderator

84CubsFan and RebelYell, commish of Cobb Goes to College, have both joined the KBL.

In our short history we've already had a triple play, a no hitter, and a 118 game score including 10 RBIs, 2 HRs, and 5 for 5.

The open teams are:
  • Kilimanjaro Leopards - 22-20, tied for 1st in the Kurru 1st division. Best players are probably CF Akram "Big Train" Mukamutara and SP Jaja Nafula
  • Kongo Camels - 20-22, 3rd in the Kurru 1st division. Best players are probably CF Taji Bahati and SP Thenga Zuri
  • Sahara Chimps - 29-13, 1st in the Kurru 3rd division. Still the best record in the KBL. Best players are probably 1B Kwame Mukami and SP Kioi Mwamini.
  • Timbuktu Colobus - 22-20, tied for 1st in the Kerma 3rd division. Best players are probably 1B Murtada Wanjiru and SP Mahmud Nana
  • Berber Hippos - 22-20, tied for 1st in the Kerma 3rd division. Best players are probably LF Rashaad Nuaha and SP Nkosi Nyakio

Last edited by kq76; 02-21-2004 at 05:38 PM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:47 AM   #83
kq76
Global Moderator

The Memphis Lions, the worst team in the league at 15-33, have opened up. It's been rumoured that their manager committed seppuku, or harikari, after being disgraced by his team's truly pathetic performance. This team is going to need a miracle worker to turn things around. Luckily, bad teams seem to get snapped right up in this league.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:49 AM   #84
kq76
Global Moderator

The Mecca Cheetahs have opened up.

The open teams are:
  • Kilimanjaro Leopards - 38-40, 3rd in the Kurru 1st division. Best players are probably CF Akram "Big Train" Mukamutara and SP Jaja Nafula.
  • Kongo Camels - 39-39, 2nd in the Kurru 1st division. Best players are probably CF Taji Bahati and SP Thenga Zuri.
  • Sahara Chimps - 53-25, 1st in the Kurru 3rd division. Still the best record in the KBL. Best players are probably 1B Kwame Mukami and SP Kioi Mwamini.
  • Mecca Cheetahs - 40-38, 3rd in the Kurru 3rd division. Still the best record in the KBL. Best players are probably 2B Teremun Niara and SP Rashidi Zawadi.
  • Timbuktu Colobus - 39-39, tied for 1st in the Kerma 3rd division. Best players are probably 1B Murtada Wanjiru and SP Mahmud Nana.
  • Berber Hippos - 39-39, tied for 1st in the Kerma 3rd division. Best players are probably LF Rashaad Nuaha and SP Nkosi Nyakio.
  • Memphis Lions - 25-53, 3rd in the Kerma 3rd division. Worst record in the KBL. Best players are probably CF Takata Zaina (a young superstar) and SP Mandara "Mr. Cool" Shoorai (an aging vet).

We just recently passed our All-Star break and a number of players are emerging as the stars of the league. You can read all about it and more at: http://simrc.net/kbl/news.html
Old 03-07-2004, 08:21 PM   #85
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

What's the turnover like in this league? I noticed that you have lots of teams open at once.

Also, are there any African Americans taking part in this league? Just curious.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:40 PM   #86
EagleEye_0
All Star Starter

Ill say that KQ does a great job with the league and the openings are likely due to the theme of the league.

Im guessing no one knows. I know personally online I never ask nor care what race somebody is.
EagleEye_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:20 PM   #87
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Since I started playing OOTP and noticed the large number of fictional leagues out there I thought it would be great to have a fictional African league with real cities and real names and cool team names, not the stupid ethnic lampoon names you usually find with sports teams.

There are some OOTP leagues out there with African teams with names that make me cringe.

Also, I've always wondered if I'm the only black man in the world who plays this game.

As far as this league is concerned, many of us would likely be curious about something with an African theme.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs

Last edited by Antonin; 03-07-2004 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:36 AM   #88
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

As an owner in this league I just thought I'd pitch in.

There are open teams largely because we didn't fill up initially and we've also had some inactive owners who were dropped.

I joined this league because of the caliber of the people that are involved in it and I haven't been disappointed. Everything has gone smoothly and it has been a very entertaining league.

OOTP Grand League Champion 2015
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 02:20 AM   #89
ill16ca
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally posted by Antonin
Also, I've always wondered if I'm the only black man in the world who plays this game.
I can think of three: jaxmagicman, sixfour210 and darkcloud4579. I'm sure there are plenty besides you.

I might as well give my word about the league.... we have two strong commishes with good reputation in the online community, so it's obviously very well run. I'm also stumped as to why this league hasn't filled up as quickly as it should, besides the fact that it's a fictional league.
ill16ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:35 PM   #90
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
What's the turnover like in this league? I noticed that you have lots of teams open at once.
I don't think the turnover has been all that unusual so far. I've talked to a number of commishes about turnover and it sounds like you should expect a fair amount in the first season. During the initial draft, which seemed to take forever, a number of people came and went. But we ended the draft with about the same # from when we started the draft. We started the regular season with around 18 I believe. After 5 sims we had 3 who never participated or made contact since we started the regular season, so we dropped them as we have a participation or contact policy. But we also added a few during that time. Since then I believe we've only had 2 leave who actually did participate. Most, if not all, of those in right now seem to be fully participating in and enjoying the league.

Unlike most leagues, I've tried to post our openings right away. From what I understand, some leagues will just leave that team empty for the rest of the season unless they already have someone waiting.

We could have also started the league with fewer teams. We were initially considering a 16 team league. That would have made us look more full and stable, but we felt that a 24 team league was a better size as the more owners and play-offs spots should lead to more activity and as a result more enjoyment. So which is better, having 18 of 24 teams filled and having room to take on more good members, or having 16 of 16 filled and maybe having a few of those spots with members who probably won't be around long and not having room to take on people who might add a lot to the league? I'll take the former. Now of course a fully active 36 team league might rock, but that can be something to strive for if we wish.

As the others said, probably part of the reason it is not full is because it is a fictional league. I myself prefer fictional leagues (probably primarily because I'm disenchanted with the current state of MLB) and cannot understand the appeal of a modern day league. But everyone has different preferences, which is fine. Modern day leagues seem to be quite popular and have an easy time filling up, which is great for them. It seems to be that fictional leagues have less problems between members though. I'm not at all knocking anyone who prefers modern day leagues. If that's what they like, they great for them, I'm glad they've found something they enjoy. I just think the different types, in general, attract different types of people and I'm pleased that I find myself amongst this group.

I have a difficult time seeing the African theme in particular as being something that would stop a lot of people from otherwise joining though.

So while it may seem like we have more turnover than most leagues, that might be true, I can't say for certain. But there are certain aspects to the league (fictional, participation policy, posting openings asap, etc) that either lead to higher turnover or at least make it look that way. It concerned me in the beginning, but once I talked to a few people about it, I lost that concern. Over time I'm sure we'll add and lose more people, but that we'll also remain an enjoyable league. And really, I think that's all that matters, that those involved enjoy themselves as much as possible, not whether we're a 32 team league or never have an opening. Now I do feel that the more people we have, the more likely interaction, and the more likely enjoyment, so filling the league is a goal. However, filling up the league with people who are not all that interested, just for the sake of being full, does not add anything to the league. It might help make the league look more attractive to potential members, but then there might not be open spots for those people who might really enjoy the league.

Quote:
Also, are there any African Americans taking part in this league? Just curious.
I don't know. I suspect we might have a couple and if we do, then great! Maybe there's something that they'll add to the league. But if we don't, that's fine.

Quote:
There are some OOTP leagues out there with African teams with names that make me cringe.
With us all using the names of animals that our make believe fans respect or worship, that's something we won't have to deal with, thankfully.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:13 AM   #91
Rowleyball
Minors (Triple A)

I just want to throw my support out to the KBL. I was invited to join when the league was first starting, and I would have accepted but I don't think I could handle more than 4 leagues. It's one of the few leagues I have bookmarked that I'm not a part of, and if for some reason I find I have more time to work with, I'll jump on the opportunity to join. I'd imagine there are plenty of guys out there like me who would love to join another quality league but are at their current maximum.

Good luck finding some owners. I know what it's like to be a part of a good league with numerous openings (Beta).
Rowleyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:16 PM   #92
ill16ca
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally posted by Rowleyball
Good luck finding some owners. I know what it's like to be a part of a good league with numerous openings (Beta).
I know what it's like to be a part of both.
ill16ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:00 PM   #93
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by kq76
As the others said, probably part of the reason it is not full is because it is a fictional league. I myself prefer fictional leagues (probably primarily because I'm disenchanted with the current state of MLB) and cannot understand the appeal of a modern day league.
I also prefer fictional leagues. I wish I could join the KBL, but my internet connection is really crappy--my DL speed averages between 3K bps and 300 bps. I'm having trouble keeping up with league file DLs and team exports for my current online league (the World Baseball League, where my Niamey Meerkats are working toward being able to knock Oslo out of the top spot in the Old World Conference). Oh well.

Have fun!
Old 03-09-2004, 05:13 PM   #94
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
I also prefer fictional leagues. I wish I could join the KBL, but my internet connection is really crappy--my DL speed averages between 3K bps and 300 bps. I'm having trouble keeping up with league file DLs and team exports for my current online league (the World Baseball League, where my Niamey Meerkats are working toward being able to knock Oslo out of the top spot in the Old World Conference). Oh well.

Have fun!
No problem. If your connection gets better or you ever change your mind and would like to try us out, just send me an e-mail. I try to keep the sim zips minimal and they've usually been around 1.5MB.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:55 PM   #95
kq76
Global Moderator

The Mecca Cheetahs and Memphis Lions have been filled by Chip Orton (ortonius) and Michael Mincieli (ynekim).

The open teams are:
  • Kilimanjaro Leopards - 44-58, 4th in the Kurru 1st division. Best players are probably CF Akram "Big Train" Mukamutara and SP Jaja Nafula.
  • Kongo Camels - 47-55, 2nd in the Kurru 1st division. Best players are probably SS Akido Ayo, C Mambo Asali, and SP Jalali Tidyanawo
  • Sahara Chimps - 67-35, 1st in the Kurru 3rd division. Still the best record in the KBL. Best players are probably 1B Kwame Mukami and SP Safari Nena.
  • Timbuktu Colobus - 54-48, 1st in the Kerma 3rd division. Best players are probably 1B Murtada Wanjiru and SP Mahmud Nana.
  • Berber Hippos - 50-52, 2nd in the Kerma 3rd division. Best players are probably LF Rashaad Nuaha and SP Nkosi Nyakio.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:18 PM   #96
kq76
Global Moderator

Talking The KBL: 2nd Season Underway

I'd like to re-invite everyone to check out the KBL. If you were hesitant to join before, after a successful and very enjoyable first season, now is probably a good time to reconsider. As you can see at the site [ http://kbl-ootp-online.com ], we're a fairly active and mature group. Sims are nearly always held on time (I think there was once I was maybe a day late) and there's always a news summary with a bunch of extras. The info page is quite extensive and the forum also often has some new story to read. The second season has just started. So if you'd like to get in at the beginning of a year and participate in free agency and the amateur draft in an active fictional league, now would be a great time to join.

The currently open teams are:
  • Mombasa Giraffes - 2nd in the Kurru 2nd division. Best players are probably 3B Manu Marashi and SP Makamu Subira.
  • Swahili Zebras - 1st in the Kurru 3rd division. Best players are probably 3B Jahina "The Cat" Zaafarani and SP Njana Zera.
  • Anansi Spiders - 4th in the Kerma 1st division. Best players are probably CF Jaha Natasa and SP Makame Amadi.
  • Timbuktu Colobus - 1st in the Kerma 3rd division. Best players are probably 1B Murtada Wanjiru and SP Mahmud Nana.
  • Berber Hippos - 3rd in the Kerma 3rd division. Best players are probably LF Rashaad Nuaha and SP Nkosi Nyakio.
  • Memphis Lions - 4th in the Kerma 3rd division. Best players are probably CF Takata Zaina and SP Irungu Turkiya.

To join, please see the how to apply section on the info page [ http://kbl-ootp-online.com/info.html#HTA ].

EDIT: Updated info, see my next post in this thread.

Last edited by kq76; 06-14-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:58 PM   #97
TexasLonghorns
Major Leagues

And this is a great league. I'm not the most active person in the league but I can almost promise that you will enjoy the KBL if you join.
TexasLonghorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:23 PM   #98
RebelYell
Minors (Triple A)

A very well-run organization

A lot of time and effort goes into this league and it appears the KBL will have a lot of history and longevity.

Jump in now while the jumpin is good.

And coming soon:
The World Cup of Baseball
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 02:59 AM   #99
speedyturtle73
Bat Boy

Talking re

league is great.
commish puts lots of effort to make the league better everyday.
speedyturtle73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:01 AM   #100
chrisj
All Star Reserve

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
I'd encourage people to join this league - it's VERY well run!
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote