Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

OOTP Vets, please help

Hey guys,

I am apologizing in advance for the super long rant here but I want to get some tips, tricks, and advice from some of the long time Vets here, especially ones who create their own fictional leagues or have a plethora of information relating to MLB leagues.

Long story short I created a fictional league that I'd like to mimic MLB. I am started the league in 1980 and I am doing a long time test sim (In 2005 right now) and while a lot of the stuff looks good, there are things I have questions on or want to tweak and instead of running a million sims I'd like to get it right on attempt two so I can actually play the game as manager and GM. The following is what I would like some help/answers with pretty please if you guys don't mind!
  • When I add expansion teams I still have my total games for the season set 162, but all teams are not playing 162 games, is this due to schedule constraints of uneven teams?
  • My playoffs are three rounds with 1 wild card. I wanted to expand too 4 rounds as I add expansion teams but its grayed out in the editor. Is this non-modifiable after initial league creations?
  • I have "allow draft pick trading" turned on as I like the idea of trading picks for players. Yet in 25 years of simming there are no traded picks. Am I missing something?
  • I notice way to may players playing 162/162 games or VERY close to it. Should I increase the fatigue leave or injury frequency? (I see injuries but none ever seem to be serious or long term)
  • What settings do I need to modify/check on or off, etc to have salaries dynamically follow that of the MLB? From 1980 to 2005 salaries are no where near where they should be (much too low).
  • I have interleague play checked but its not working. Since creation of the league no team has ever had an interleague season game. Am I doing something wrong?
  • Looking over the stats it looks like to many players hit 40+ home runs every year (which in turn means too many to many RBI's etc). The same for pitchers with wins. Whats best to adjust this? Or is it primarily a result from too many players playing close to 162 games?
  • It looks like the future talent, the international free agents always turn out better then drafted players and are always league leaders. Is that normal?
  • There are WAY to may closers and relief pitchers in each draft. Especially in the top talent of each draft. Is that normal?
  • If I want a team to "disband" and relocate but I want the new team to have a separate entity in the history books and no ties to the old team what's the best way to do so? I would however, want all the players to go along to the new team.
  • a lot of players are still way to "good" at 38,39, 40 years old... I don't recall this in past versions of OOTP, is that normal?
  • so many players win an abundance of MVPS... like between 4-10 in their career. Seems a bit high... is that normal?

Just for the record on the above I started a "new fictional league" and did NOT adjust any of the modifiers I left everything at default. Any expert advice would seriously be so appreciated!

Last edited by Hockey13Playa; 03-25-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Hockey13Playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
Ktulu
Hall Of Famer

Any time you add teams or edit the structure make sure to regenerate the schedule.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulu View Post
Any time you add teams or edit the structure make sure to regenerate the schedule.
I do generate it for each league (Majors, AAA, AA, and A) after I add teams. For some reason though all teams have not played 162 since I started expanding.

I dont have even divisions though

Sub league 1:
5 teams
5 teams
4 teams

Sub League 2:
5 teams
5 teams
4 teams

I am assuming it may have to do with that, and when I expand for the last time adding 2 teams, 1 to each 4 team division it *should* go back to 162 I would think. Unless thats not causing the error?
Old 03-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa View Post
Hey guys,

[*] There are WAY to may closers and relief pitchers in each draft. Especially in the top talent of each draft. Is that normal?[/LIST]
Just for the record on the above I started a "new fictional league" and did NOT adjust any of the modifiers I left everything at default. Any expert advice would seriously be so appreciated!
This one is a matter of the perspective and if using relative ratings. If you are using relative ratings I believe the overall/potential value is broken down into 3 categories. Position Players. Relief Pitchers and Starters.
This is the reason you see so many high potential relievers and closer is to there being a lot of poor ones in the universe. So based on those you would see the classes broken down looking like many highly rated relievers.

Hope that made some sort of sense.
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:49 PM   #5
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Scheduler in Fictional has issues if you don't have an even number of teams, so make sure you do. As the above poster also pointed out, whenever you add teams, make sure you regenerate the schedule.

Interleague play will NOT work in fictional unless you choose the option to mimick the MLB from the start (with 15 teams per League). I've tried a million different ways to get interleague outside of that structure and never could get it to work (unless of course you get a custom made schedule or make one yourself).

Some of the rest of the questions would need for me to be in front of the game to give you the exact name of the options so I'm afraid that's the best I can do for now.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
Ktulu
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa View Post
I do generate it for each league (Majors, AAA, AA, and A) after I add teams. For some reason though all teams have not played 162 since I started expanding.

I dont have even divisions though

Sub league 1:
5 teams
5 teams
4 teams

Sub League 2:
5 teams
5 teams
4 teams

I am assuming it may have to do with that, and when I expand for the last time adding 2 teams, 1 to each 4 team division it *should* go back to 162 I would think. Unless thats not causing the error?
My game is busy simming right now so I can't check the specifics, but if you go into edit schedule function there is a button up in the top right that will generate reports on your schedule. Take a look at that and see what's happening.

Edit: It's the Edit League Schedule Button in the middle section of League Settings > Actions Button > Report Grid & Report Evaluation

Last edited by Ktulu; 03-25-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Ktulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #7
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIUPIKE View Post
This one is a matter of the perspective and if using relative ratings. If you are using relative ratings I believe the overall/potential value is broken down into 3 categories. Position Players. Relief Pitchers and Starters.
This is the reason you see so many high potential relievers and closer is to there being a lot of poor ones in the universe. So based on those you would see the classes broken down looking like many highly rated relievers.

It kind of makes sense, so basically what you are saying is its working as intended/fine? Or do I need to change "relative ratings"? I am not too familiar with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldur00 View Post
Scheduler in Fictional has issues if you don't have an even number of teams, so make sure you do. As the above poster also pointed out, whenever you add teams, make sure you regenerate the schedule.

Interleague play will NOT work in fictional unless you choose the option to mimick the MLB from the start (with 15 teams per League). I've tried a million different ways to get interleague outside of that structure and never could get it to work (unless of course you get a custom made schedule or make one yourself).

Some of the rest of the questions would need for me to be in front of the game to give you the exact name of the options so I'm afraid that's the best I can do for now.
Ah darn, thats stinky. Well I am at 28 teams right now. When I expand to 30 and have the same set up as MLB with 5/5/5 and then 5/5/5 will it then recognize and it use interleague play?

Quote:
My game is busy simming right now so I can't check the specifics, but if you go into edit schedule function there is a button up in the top right that will generate reports on your schedule. Take a look at that and see what's happening.
Awesome didn't know I can do that. I Just did and it looks to be at 162 now. Strange as for after one of my expansions it was playing 157 games per team instead of the 162 as intended. I will have to make a note and check back when I get to that point in time after my sim test is done.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
Andy
Hall Of Famer

I recommend checking out this post. Surely there is a schedule you can use that has what you need.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=249096
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #9
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I can't help you with too much as I mainly play MLB quick starts. However, for me, I notice that having injuries set to "High (Realistic Modern Day)" with fatigue levels left at default gives me realistic results in terms of bench and "AAAA" player usage as well as limiting the amount of guys that play 150+ games. Other people will swear that the default injury setting is too high so YMMV
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #10
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I recommend checking out this post. Surely there is a schedule you can use that has what you need.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=249096
Thank you! I am aware of that thread, just was curious why interleague play didn't work by default, or the cause of my schedule not playing all 162 games. But I will look into using one of these instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
I can't help you with too much as I mainly play MLB quick starts. However, for me, I notice that having injuries set to "High (Realistic Modern Day)" with fatigue levels left at default gives me realistic results in terms of bench and "AAAA" player usage as well as limiting the amount of guys that play 150+ games. Other people will swear that the default injury setting is too high so YMMV

I was debating to try that out. I feel like in past versions of OOTP (I skipped 18&19) that modern day was very high... but playing on normal right now and looking over players injury tab for their career it seems as hardly any players get injured. May have to run a quick sim with the realistic modern day and see how it looks!
Old 03-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #11
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Just wanted to give you an example here.... look at the first 12 picks of this draft. 11 straight SP
Attached Images
Old 03-26-2019, 10:31 AM   #12
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The draft the following year... same scenario...
Attached Images
Old 03-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #13
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

And does anyone else have any insight for me on the points in my original post? Please!
Old 03-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #14
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Edit: It's the Edit League Schedule Button in the middle section of League Settings > Actions Button > Report Grid & Report Evaluation
So I just hit my final expansion - 30 total teams, 2 sub leagues with 3 divisions and 5 teams in each division. Did generate schedule on all leagues (Majors, AAA, AA, and A) and ran that report. Some teams were playing 150 and some 153... makes no sense when its set to 162 and there are even number of teams with equal sub leagues and divisions. I may just have to import a custom schedule then. Not sure why it does that, it seems like it has done that after each expansion and then corrects itself back to 162 a few years later...
Old 03-26-2019, 03:38 PM   #15
jtnlange
Minors (Triple A)

Not sure what is going on Hockey. I run a custom fictional and I have had it as high as 32 teams with a 162 game schedule and no custom schedule and all teams play 162 games. if you are messing with the league structure are you regenerating the schedule? I also trade draft picks and it happens just very rarely. If you want to have dynamic financials make sure you check the progression box under financials. I use a custom file for mine and it seems to work very well.

Trevor L.
jtnlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #16
jtnlange
Minors (Triple A)

One more thing, screen shot your setting for us I think more peopl could help you out if we saw what we were working with. I have been playing this since the beginning and it took me many years of tinkering and asking questions to get the type of fictional I like now. Anything else I can answer let me know. I can show you the fictional universe I set up maybe it will give you inspiration :-)

Trevor L.

P.S. are you using feeders or just default for your draft?

Last edited by jtnlange; 03-26-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #17
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnlange View Post
Not sure what is going on Hockey. I run a custom fictional and I have had it as high as 32 teams with a 162 game schedule and no custom schedule and all teams play 162 games. if you are messing with the league structure are you regenerating the schedule? I also trade draft picks and it happens just very rarely. If you want to have dynamic financials make sure you check the progression box under financials. I use a custom file for mine and it seems to work very well.

Trevor L.
Hey Trevor, thank you for the response! I am hitting regenerate schedule so not sure why its doing that, it doesn't make sense. I notice the interleague doesn't play like mentioned above either. So I may just do a custom schedule from the mod section so I won't have to worry about that. Only thing I mess with in the league schedule is when I expand. It doesn't always let me expand where I want so I have to change which division after the fact, but I do hit regenerate schedule.

I may just turn off the trade draft picks then since it doesn't seem to even work (at least for me).

Quote:
One more thing, screen shot your setting for us I think more peopl could help you out if we saw what we were working with. I have been playing this since the beginning and it took me many years of tinkering and asking questions to get the type of fictional I like now. Anything else I can answer let me know. I can show you the fictional universe I set up maybe it will give you inspiration :-)

Trevor L.

P.S. are you using feeders or just default for your draft?

I can certainly screen shot my settings. Is there any particular page I should screen shot and post here that you or anyone else may like to see?

As far as financials go in your first quoted post I would like to see that. And I absolutely would like to see your fictional universe. Any inspiration I can get to make this awesome I am willing to check out!

I am not using any feeders or other leagues outside of Majors, AAA, AA, and A. But if it really will enhance my fictional world I am up for giving it a shot with some assistance!
Old 03-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #18
jtnlange
Minors (Triple A)

When I get home I will shoot you what I have to look at. I know feeders arent liked by a lot but I play with a 300 team college and 50 team High school feeders and I find I get a real good spread of talent plus I get 4 years of stats to use to decide of they are good. I guess for screen shots just the ones that have check boxes on the, I am at work at the moment and cannot think of the screen names :-). Let me knowif you want to tackle feeders. I can help out. I know mine is a little high but even I think a small one could help you out.

Trevor L.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:42 PM   #19
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When I get home I will shoot you what I have to look at. I know feeders arent liked by a lot but I play with a 300 team college and 50 team High school feeders and I find I get a real good spread of talent plus I get 4 years of stats to use to decide of they are good. I guess for screen shots just the ones that have check boxes on the, I am at work at the moment and cannot think of the screen names :-). Let me knowif you want to tackle feeders. I can help out. I know mine is a little high but even I think a small one could help you out.

Trevor L.
Awesome, sounds good to me! I appreciate that! In the mean time I will throw some screens here for the time being!
Old 03-26-2019, 04:53 PM   #20
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Ok here all the screen shots of my league, and I believe everything that matters to what I am inquiring about in this topic
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by Hockey13Playa; 03-26-2019 at 04:57 PM.