Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 08:21 PM   #161
malichai11
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
- Adjusted trade logic for superstars, financial considerations

Markus, is there any chance you could expand on this?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:34 PM   #162
Cactusguy21
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by malichai11 View Post
Markus, is there any chance you could expand on this?
I'm not Markus, but one thing I've noticed is that teams will sign a superstar to a big deal then immediately like a few months later be looking to salary dump him. Probably they worked on this.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:05 PM   #163
Poweshow
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/3 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Do you think he'll come back and admit he was wrong?

Yeah, me neither

I *******LITERALLY********* posted a link to a member of the OOTP team stating that they would not be releasing a feature list until 3/18.
It is absolutely downright lunacy that you are unwilling to accept this.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:12 PM   #164
Cactusguy21
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweshow View Post
I *******LITERALLY********* posted a link to a member of the OOTP team stating that they would not be releasing a feature list until 3/18.

Do you have a link to the feature list?
Old 03-25-2019, 11:27 PM   #165
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Matt replied in that thread and he did NOT say "they would not be releasing a feature list until 3/18". He answered the question "when will the full feature list be released?". The key words there are "full feature list". It was the full feature list that would not be released until later.

Edit: For example, the newsletter was emailed out on 2019-02-26 and it contained a feature list, just not the complete feature list.

Last edited by old timer; 03-25-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:31 PM   #166
BronxBombers7
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
See, this all sounds simple, but it would take many hours for something that only 0.01% of users would ever care for, with the potential to break existing code which could require a hotfix. It just does not make any sense for us to give this any sort of priority. And there are countless examples of such tweaks / improvements. Our job is to prioritze them and make sure we make the best decisions for the majority of customers. Eventually we'll get to these small things, but it will take time...
Just a future idea, but have you developers ever considered implementing position rankings for every year? Sounds like a lot of data, but I would be interested in knowing who the top 10 2nd basemen of 1961 were for example.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:37 PM   #167
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Either you're insane or you just ignored everything that answered what you're complaining about.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:05 AM   #168
christophermichaels
Minors (Double A)

A few things to say here:

1. As a customer, I’m generally happy with this year’s version. There are things I would want to see changed, but that’s always going to be the case.

2. It was bad form to close the thread; and it was excellent form to recognize an error in judgment and reopen this thread. That tells me more than all other comments here about the value these forums offer the development team.

3. Listen, fellow consumers, we don’t have to agree or even come to consensus. Disagreement is healthy. Cognitive dissonance is valuable. Competing desires drive the marketplace. I couldn’t care less if some other consumer—who I will never meet—is upset with me or my take on an Internet forum for a game I’ve paid for, just like them. As such, let’s welcome all viewpoints that are not abusive in nature or full of personal attacks.

4. I’m not disappointed in OOTP XX. And I don’t disparage those who are. I can see AI improvements as I play my Manager Mode save. It’s made that mode really compelling for me. If you aren’t tinkering around with the specific modes where the AI changes are likely to be most visible, there’s a good chance you won’t see or feel the version update over 19.

5. I was skeptical of PT’s influence on the developers and their focus. I was wrong. I’ve discovered that I’m enjoying both the traditional format of the game and PT. I’ve even spent $20 out-of-pocket to buy some gold packs to jump-start my PT squad for the year. I won’t spend any more than that, but I’m looking at it as the cost of entertainment.

6. To the development team, you’ve created quite a product. You know that. It’s the reason we all congregate here. It’s the reason we all lay down money for an updated product year-after-year. With that comes expectations that will, at times, become unrealistic. Only you can decide where that line sits based on your current product and where you plan to take it. As long as you are mindful of your customers’ needs, you’ll continue to have this great gathering. But you already know that.

That’s all for now. Generally, I want to see and hear competing viewpoints—even those which are unflattering. I used to be an Assistant Principal and one of the things I was taught by a former supervisor was to simply shut up and let the other person vent and unload on me. Often times, that’s all they needed. They just wanted to be heard.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:08 AM   #169
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
Well, aside from a few that are listed twice (lol), I am really looking forward to the scouting report fixes and the trade AI somehow taking superstardom into account.

I honestly think you just weren't paying attention. That you didn't see the features list isn't equivalent to them not releasing one. And they released many details well before the game came out (even if it wasn't a FULL list). Many of us saw this information.

I don't agree with your statement which I bolded. This is rather subjective and like Markus says everyone has their pet peeve issue (super complex playoff structures or AI or statistical fidelity etc) and would like to see that issue addressed. I actually have quite the opposite outlook from yours. To me, OOTP appears to have taken some pretty significant risks lately with focusing on 3D and PT rather than resting on their laurels/making incremental AI tweaks and nothing else. And in so doing, the game is starting to transcend its "text sim" label. That some people don't really care about 3D graphics or playing Perfect Team, again, goes back to the issue of your pet peeve vs somebody else's. But, no one can really assert accurately that these things are insignificant undertakings.
This,
Old 03-26-2019, 04:11 AM   #170
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
This is nonsense. We released the features when we announced the game, both via newsletter and the forums: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=299260. We did not post the full changelist though (which is what I think you are referring to, and what Matt meant in the thread you pointed to), as we simply did not have time to track every single issue that we tackled, and that some changes are too complex to easily explain. That's all there is to it. It's not some "shady practice", you cannot be serious here. We have been developing this game for 20+ years now and I am pretty sure we have earned the trust of 99.99% of our customers during that time.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 03-26-2019 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:23 AM   #171
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanstephans View Post
A few things to say here:

1. As a customer, I’m generally happy with this year’s version. There are things I would want to see changed, but that’s always going to be the case.

2. It was bad form to close the thread; and it was excellent form to recognize an error in judgment and reopen this thread. That tells me more than all other comments here about the value these forums offer the development team.

3. Listen, fellow consumers, we don’t have to agree or even come to consensus. Disagreement is healthy. Cognitive dissonance is valuable. Competing desires drive the marketplace. I couldn’t care less if some other consumer—who I will never meet—is upset with me or my take on an Internet forum for a game I’ve paid for, just like them. As such, let’s welcome all viewpoints that are not abusive in nature or full of personal attacks.

4. I’m not disappointed in OOTP XX. And I don’t disparage those who are. I can see AI improvements as I play my Manager Mode save. It’s made that mode really compelling for me. If you aren’t tinkering around with the specific modes where the AI changes are likely to be most visible, there’s a good chance you won’t see or feel the version update over 19.

5. I was skeptical of PT’s influence on the developers and their focus. I was wrong. I’ve discovered that I’m enjoying both the traditional format of the game and PT. I’ve even spent $20 out-of-pocket to buy some gold packs to jump-start my PT squad for the year. I won’t spend any more than that, but I’m looking at it as the cost of entertainment.

6. To the development team, you’ve created quite a product. You know that. It’s the reason we all congregate here. It’s the reason we all lay down money for an updated product year-after-year. With that comes expectations that will, at times, become unrealistic. Only you can decide where that line sits based on your current product and where you plan to take it. As long as you are mindful of your customers’ needs, you’ll continue to have this great gathering. But you already know that.

That’s all for now. Generally, I want to see and hear competing viewpoints—even those which are unflattering. I used to be an Assistant Principal and one of the things I was taught by a former supervisor was to simply shut up and let the other person vent and unload on me. Often times, that’s all they needed. They just wanted to be heard.
Thanks for the kind words!

Regarding disagreements, I am totally with you here. What makes me upset is when people post total falsehoods (OOTP XX is just a roster update or similar bull****) or just complain because apparently they like to complain (there are some good examples in the past dozen posts here in this thread ). When somebody attacks our product outside the bounds of reason I get mad... fortunately, our community is probably one of the top 1% game communities when it comes to manners and adequate tone, so I don't get mad that often
Old 03-26-2019, 06:50 AM   #172
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They would not be releasing the full/final feature list until that point. The main feature list had already long been released, as others have long mentioned and you seem to be conveniently ignoring.

Which, as was explained over and over to you and others in that thread, is because work was ongoing on the beta and thus it isn't completely certain what will and won't make it in/get fixed, etc etc. It was very unlikely that huge features would be added at that point, so basically the final list of things would be pretty similar to what was already released. Somehow you took it as some sort of conspiracy theory.

Markus already nailed it in his response, but the little witch hunt you're on to try to suggest this is some kind of shady business practice is ridiculous. As I stated in that thread, all the main/core features had already been announced. If you were satisfied with what was announced, it was your choice to pre-order. If you weren't, it's your choice not to. Not much more to it than that.

Last edited by Cole; 03-26-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:06 AM   #173
phenom
Hall Of Famer

I still want pie

Old 03-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #174
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom View Post
I still want pie
Me too.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:34 AM   #175
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Me too.
You could always start a historical league in say 2007 and sign on to manage the Cubs.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:45 AM   #176
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

honestly updated opening day rosters with any improvement to the trading/financial AI makes the game worth buying every year for me. we are talking just $40 for hundreds of hours of play. basically nothing

my only pet peeve is scheduling future seasons in quick start. you always get the same interleague division pairings and the off days start to get wonky and it takes me a lot of time to get it right.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:50 AM   #177
Poweshow
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/3 (3)
Quote:
This is nonsense. We released the features when we announced the game, both via newsletter and the forums: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=299260. We did not post the full changelist though (which is what I think you are referring to, and what Matt meant in the thread you pointed to), as we simply did not have time to track every single issue that we tackled, and that some changes are too complex to easily explain. That's all there is to it. It's not some "shady practice", you cannot be serious here. We have been developing this game for 20+ years now and I am pretty sure we have earned the trust of 99.99% of our customers during that time.
Is this your backwards way of saying “we can have off years because we we’ve built loyalty over 20 years?”
As evident by this now 9 page thread, all is not peachy amongst your “trusting” consumers. Complacency has began to pop up and the company line of “it’s just too hard......” has began to pop up more and more over the years. If making your consumers feel like their money was well spent has become too hard, perhaps you should begin looking for ways to make it less hard? Innovation has been lacking for 5+ years now and the game *will* grow stale. It’s the lifecycle of every business that fails to innovate until a competitor comes along and says with energy: “it’s not too hard for us!”

The feature list that was dropped in the newsletter has never been the comprehensive list, more has always been expected hence the reason for this thread.
I’m personally quite alright if the development resources are being diverted to something BIG in 2 years or 5 years but absent clear instruction of this, this years game has been the least innovative ever.

The game is fantastic. Nobody would say otherwise. But the year over year improvement, innovation and most troubling to me: transparency has all waned recently. I absolutely love the OOTP franchise, but I am not excited about the clear complacency that has taken over the franchise.

Love you, Marcus. I do not love the responses I’ll get promoting and defending the complacency that has consumed the innovation, improvement and transparency of the series. But again, do love and respect what you have done with this series for the majority of its existence.

Scold away, folks.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #178
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Is this your backwards way of saying “we can have off years because we we’ve built loyalty over 20 years?”
As evident by this now 9 page thread, all is not peachy amongst your “trusting” consumers. Complacency has began to pop up and the company line of “it’s just too hard......” has began to pop up more and more over the years. If making your consumers feel like their money was well spent has become too hard, perhaps you should begin looking for ways to make it less hard? Innovation has been lacking for 5+ years now and the game *will* grow stale. It’s the lifecycle of every business that fails to innovate until a competitor comes along and says with energy: “it’s not too hard for us!”

The feature list that was dropped in the newsletter has never been the comprehensive list, more has always been expected hence the reason for this thread.
I’m personally quite alright if the development resources are being diverted to something BIG in 2 years or 5 years but absent clear instruction of this, this years game has been the least innovative ever.

The game is fantastic. Nobody would say otherwise. But the year over year improvement, innovation and most troubling to me: transparency has all waned recently. I absolutely love the OOTP franchise, but I am not excited about the clear complacency that has taken over the franchise.

Love you, Marcus. I do not love the responses I’ll get promoting and defending the complacency that has consumed the innovation, improvement and transparency of the series. But again, do love and respect what you have done with this series for the majority of its existence.

Scold away, folks.
I won't waste my time replying to this in detail, as this won't make a difference. Let's just agree to disagree, okay?

And I am now finally closing this thread, as everything that needed to be said has been said, and I won't leave this open only for some people who have nothing better to do than to try to get other users angry.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 03-26-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #179
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The main issue as I see it is that the development team knew there were very few fixes or additions to the game this year and refused to provide a new features list because of this. It is extremely apparent this is what happened and now there is an 8-page thread related to this shady practice.

I think many people would have been content with “this is a transition year while we work on HUGE stuff for OOTP 21” but instead we were intentionally deceived as evident by the refusal to release a features list before launch.

This has nothing to do with people’s desire to get “their” wishes into the game, it has everything to do with customers wanting the satisfaction of knowing their money was well spent. Right now there are a lot of questions and I think we need answers as to why the feature list was not released.
Yeah, they could post the transition year, but it's not like there is going to be huge stuff in OOTP XXI, because - remember - they are only doing stuff for that PT scam anymore?

If I was a developer I would never sell a copy of any game, because I would reply to persistent nagging like yours in choice words. We probably all get that you are pissed, but you are literally pissed about the presence of a list of features, not even a lack of features, or a particular feature. You should really chill it.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Closed Thread