Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #141
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
I certainly prefer buying direct. The patches are faster, OOTPD gets more money, and I was easily able to use my additional license when I changed computers. I don't know what that process would have been like on Steam.
literally the same
campinginalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #142
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
i recall hearing about when he started both games of a double header. He was primarily a closer when i got interested in the American League. (grew up in a national league family ....)
He did start both ends of a twin bill for the White Sox in 1973, I believe.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:11 PM   #143
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Not sure if you are aware of the trend in exclusivity for gaming stores these days. But it's huge. Every game from Indy to AAA is doing it.
...and every game that does that to me can get F'ed. F.e., EA can get completely F'ed. I have not bought anything with EA on it in maybe a decade.

Exclusivity only serves so that someone somewhere in the chain can make extra bucks. Hint: it is not to the benefit of the players, ever. There is no competition. There is theoretically no limit to the price. I am on Steam (although I put that off until 2015 when, funny story, my Raccoons made me snap and I bitterly wanted to get paws on Civ5), and these days I get everything through Steam that is feasible. And I will get OOTP through Steam as well, because I am not going to manually apply the plethora of patches to keep the game current for Perfect Team (and OOTP is far from the only game that gets dozens of patches across its lifetime). That does not mean I endorse the ravenous moloch behind that store front (or any other store front!) that takes car-sized bites out of developers for the privilege to sell there at all.

Seriously, why the heck are people these days advocating for monopolies…? Have you all gone completely insane?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #144
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
IMO Feeder leagues are doing exactly what they were designed to do: create a draft pool with a statistical history. I don't believe Markus & Co. ever intended them to emulate real amateur baseball in any way.

For the function they do have they are also a bit of a pain. A 30 team league with four minor league levels needs 150+ feeder to make a draft pool. That is 150+ teams playing games, churning out players, creating history, and using game resources.

IMO the best way to improve feeders isn't to emulate amateur baseball rather it's add a function to delete players who never played professionally. There is already an option to delete players who never played in the majors.

Just my $.02 on feeders
I don't necessarily think you're wrong in that being the intent of feeder leagues. I do like the idea of being able to simulate college baseball as accurately as we can the majors.

If nothing else because the required rules would give us fictional players some nice options for other league types.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:32 PM   #145
swoboda
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
I certainly prefer buying direct. The patches are faster, OOTPD gets more money, and I was easily able to use my additional license when I changed computers. I don't know what that process would have been like on Steam.
I completely agree, " if it ain't broke don't fix it"
Why would we feel like it's a good idea for the developers to give some of their money to another firm that cares more about itself than anything else.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:58 PM   #146
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Let's say I have 4 OF, my starting LF is great at LF and CF my backup OF is great at LF but below average at CF. My starting CF is injured. When simming, will OOTP20 AI now be smart enough to move my starting LF to CF and insert the backup in LF?

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:24 PM   #147
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
i recall hearing about when he started both games of a double header.
You might be thinking of May 28, 1973. He threw 5 scoreless innings to close out (and win) a game that had been suspended due to curfew rules two days prior. He then pitched a complete game shutout in the regularly scheduled game. Between 1971 and 1975, he averaged 336 innings pitched per year.

https://tht.fangraphs.com/tht-live/4...came-a-legend/
Old 02-27-2019, 05:36 PM   #148
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Does anyone have any idea what sites I can visit to see the footage of when the Steam goon squad kidnapped Markus and Matt and tortured them for months forcing them to offer their game on Steam? Is it really true that Markus has to drink Natural Light and often goes to bed hungry, because he was forced to sell his game on Steam? Is buying the game directly from OOTP really step 3 on the checklist of things required for knighthood?

I didn't even know what Steam was when OOTP gave away Steam key's several version back. I had crappy internet at the time and Steam turned out to be perfect for me. I often ran into problems when downloading patches with my OOTP direct game. Nothing like waiting 2 hours while a patch downloads, only to have it stop working. So, I guess my point is, Markus and Company must benefit from having their game on Steam, Origen, etc. or why would they do so? The guilt trip about how buying from Steam takes money away from OOTP gets old and tired after a while. Heck, preordering takes money away from them too, but everyone runs to be first to brag about preordering.

As far as the game being sold exclusively on one platform, I don't see the benefit of that either. Now you kids get offa my lawn.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #149
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
The manager / GM mode has not changed in OOTP 20. As far as RPG, google Inside the Park Baseball, we did this a loong time ago but it did not sell enough to warrant further development unfortunately.
It's tough to do for a stat based game.

I personally would be excited to have "Player Mode" option to create a player than control his contract choices only. For example it could have option to stop auto-sim when they are offered a contract which you can decide to sign or go to arbitration, and than when you hit Free Agency can view the list of offers and select which one you want. Lastly, the final two options in this mode would be when you want to retire and lastly turn into a GM or coach. This I'd use all the time while running in tangent with being an actual GM in another profile in the game or just viewing my game world evolve.

Technically in commish mode we have this control already - except for choosing on behalf of the player from a list in FA - but it's just not recognized by the game. I'm a dreamer

Perhaps if the above got popular, it could be slowly added to.

Last edited by dave1927p; 02-27-2019 at 06:10 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:51 PM   #150
Supermercado
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
No. What's wrong with it? I think it works perfectly fine as is
Disagree from perspective of a historical player, I don't want to know when somebody strikes out 10 so I turn off game performance news and miss out on the rare times there's a no hitter or perfect game. Would also like more notifications for broken records (including team and individual records).

Suggestion is the same set up as Football Manager (see post from suggestion thread) that allows flexibility on what you want news about rather than all-in or all-out approach at the moment. Just seems like a forgotten aspect of the interface while everything else moves forward
Supermercado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:53 PM   #151
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I don't want to derail the thread in steam vs stand alone battle.So this is the last I'll say on the matter.

Steam has over 125 million users. The more coverage a game gets on steam the more users who are exposed to it.

This means more turn based fans, more grand strategy fans, more rpg fans, more city building fans and more sports fan. And now card games. Which are huge these days. Yes OOTP is a sports game but it does have huge crossover appeal in the grand strategy, turn based, and city building genres.

Football manager is a top 15 game on steam. Its like the non identical twin of OOTP. Not to mention several Civilization games and grand strategy games from Paradox all littering the top 15-20 games on steam. Football manager has 3 games in top 100. But 2019 is in the top 15 with about 60,000 daily players.

OOTP is not even in the top 100 steam games. So thats less than 4000 daily steam users. Because a huge portion of the OOTP community is stand alone installer.

If 60,000 are playing Football Manager I don't see why OOTP can't get +20k daily users on steam. That is huge free advertisement.

Or hey make a splash and go 100% exclusivity with Epic Game Store. It would sure generate an enormous media buzz.

The stand alone game installer days are DEAD. Doesn't matter if anyone likes the idea or not. Its just fact. The gaming community must adapt or die off. Its going to be Steam vs Epic from here on out. Yes you have less profit per each key with a store but huge market base you can't get on your own.

And if you become a top 10 steam game many gaming sites publish the list every week. Which is more advertisement.

Plus the kids love card games and kids only know Steam. But when they go there its dead. Nothing going on in steam forums and nothing going on in the steam mod workshop.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #152
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

When can we expect to see footage of the upgraded 3D?
Jamee999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:05 PM   #153
joshua106ful
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
The manager / GM mode has not changed in OOTP 20. As far as RPG, google Inside the Park Baseball, we did this a loong time ago but it did not sell enough to warrant further development unfortunately.
I never knew about Inside the Park until you mentioned it. I don't know why it didn't do really good because it sounded fantastic. MLB 2k is the only game that comes to mind that you can have a career on a computer. I'm pretty sure if Inside the Park Baseball was worked on in the future it would do better.
joshua106ful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:29 PM   #154
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

ITP spawned the greatest thread in OOTP history.
Jamee999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:51 PM   #155
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
I don't want to derail the thread in steam vs stand alone battle.So this is the last I'll say on the matter.

Steam has over 125 million users. The more coverage a game gets on steam the more users who are exposed to it.

This means more turn based fans, more grand strategy fans, more rpg fans, more city building fans and more sports fan. And now card games. Which are huge these days. Yes OOTP is a sports game but it does have huge crossover appeal in the grand strategy, turn based, and city building genres.

Football manager is a top 15 game on steam. Its like the non identical twin of OOTP. Not to mention several Civilization games and grand strategy games from Paradox all littering the top 15-20 games on steam. Football manager has 3 games in top 100. But 2019 is in the top 15 with about 60,000 daily players.

OOTP is not even in the top 100 steam games. So thats less than 4000 daily steam users. Because a huge portion of the OOTP community is stand alone installer.

If 60,000 are playing Football Manager I don't see why OOTP can't get +20k daily users on steam. That is huge free advertisement.

Or hey make a splash and go 100% exclusivity with Epic Game Store. It would sure generate an enormous media buzz.

The stand alone game installer days are DEAD. Doesn't matter if anyone likes the idea or not. Its just fact. The gaming community must adapt or die off. Its going to be Steam vs Epic from here on out. Yes you have less profit per each key with a store but huge market base you can't get on your own.

And if you become a top 10 steam game many gaming sites publish the list every week. Which is more advertisement.

Plus the kids love card games and kids only know Steam. But when they go there its dead. Nothing going on in steam forums and nothing going on in the steam mod workshop.

I don't disagree. OOTP is the last stand-alone game I play. With the exception of a couple of games I bought through Uplay, everything else is through Steam. I toyed with the idea of buying OOTP through Steam the past couple of years, but old habits die hard I suppose. Unless something is seriously effed up, getting patches slightly faster as a stand-alone customer isn't much of an incentive either any more.

I dunno. Maybe next year.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:00 AM   #156
ElementalKnight
Minors (Single A)

I wouldn't have known about OOTP at all if Steam hadn't suggested OOTP 18 to me. I was a die-hard baseball fan as a kid, but I drifted away from it as I got older. I didn't even know who Mike Trout was until I picked up OOTP 18. Turned out that OOTP is exactly the kind of sim that I love, and it has helped renew my love of baseball. I've put 2k+ hours into OOTP 19.
ElementalKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:42 AM   #157
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

nm

Last edited by Bluenoser; 02-28-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:20 AM   #158
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Well, it’s a good thing the thread didn’t get derailed.

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:52 AM   #159
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

There's no point arguing about all this steam nonsense anyway, it's a company and they see Steam as a way to capture a new, younger fanbase to compliment its primarily older fanbase that has been around for years upon years, nothing wrong with that in my eyes!

Anyway

Trade AI being improved is the one thing we all need! Thank you OOTPD for this, lol.
campinginalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:21 AM   #160
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalKnight View Post
I wouldn't have known about OOTP at all if Steam hadn't suggested OOTP 18 to me. I was a die-hard baseball fan as a kid, but I drifted away from it as I got older. I didn't even know who Mike Trout was until I picked up OOTP 18. Turned out that OOTP is exactly the kind of sim that I love, and it has helped renew my love of baseball. I've put 2k+ hours into OOTP 19.
you didn't know who mike trout was until last year? yeah you didn't just drift away, you were lost at sea! lol

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote