Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #21
OrbisEuler
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I don't think it's unreasonable to get an update every 3 months. The last one was on September 21st. Maybe we can get one on December 21st?
Old 12-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #22
WingaDinga
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbisEuler View Post
I don't think it's unreasonable to get an update every 3 months. The last one was on September 21st. Maybe we can get one on December 21st?
Too late now.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:01 AM   #23
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Eh, whatever. Let's hope for an update whenever the team is ready for an update.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #24
ZootMurph
Minors (Double A)

Here's an update for you all:

They are still working on it.

You're welcome!
Old 01-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #25
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Considering the initial tentative release date was late 2018, which obviously didn't turn out, it seems like it might be good PR for a developer to at least pop in and give some sort of two sentence update with maybe a new rough timeline or any sort of development update.

Obviously I don't know what's going on behind the scenes in this case, but I don't ever think complete silence is the best idea for PR, etc.

Last edited by Cole; 01-07-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #26
Ramzavail
All Star Reserve

I disagree. It will be ready when he think it's ready and I prefer it that way, just my opinion. He's put out enough products to prove that his formula/way works. I don't mind the silence.

Edit: Plus this isn't Steam Early Access or Kickstarter.

Last edited by Ramzavail; 01-07-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #27
campinginalaska
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Considering the initial tentative release date was late 2018, which obviously didn't turn out, it seems like it might be good PR for a developer to at least pop in and give some sort of two sentence update with maybe a new rough timeline or any sort of development update.

Obviously I don't know what's going on behind the scenes in this case, but I don't ever think complete silence is the best idea for PR, etc.
From what we know, the additional development time has allowed Jim to expand on his original vision. I'm gonna imagine we're getting a Sept 2018 release date cause that's when the new season is gonna start though I read somewhere on here that the draft would be a good time to start talking about the game.

I'm fine with waiting if it means we can get more features, I really really want historical and that's probably a lot of work on its own, plus FOF is more complex than most sports sims just cause of how football and its plays work, so incorporating that into OOTP's engine seems hard.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:53 PM   #28
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
I disagree. It will be ready when he think it's ready and I prefer it that way, just my opinion. He's put out enough products to prove that his formula/way works. I don't mind the silence.

Obviously it will be ready when he thinks it's ready. I wasn't suggesting the game should have been released in late 2018 unfinished simply because it was when they had tentatively tabbed for release. Literally nothing in my post suggested that. I'm not complaining that the product isn't released, I understand things happen and I want the game solid and ready when it comes out .

All I said is it might be time for some kind of update. Yes, Jim has used his formula of saying very little for many successful releases. But if we are being honest, marketing and PR has been fairly abysmal over the history of Solecismic's history and I feel even Jim himself would probably admit that. On the other hand, marketing and PR is a strong suit of OOTPD and I think many thought this release would follow more along that model as opposed to virtually no marketing or PR and then simply announcing it is released.

I'm honestly not even expecting them to necessarily announce a new tentative release date, but at least saying something would be nice.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #29
Ramzavail
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Obviously it will be ready when he thinks it's ready. I wasn't suggesting the game should have been released in late 2018 unfinished simply because it was when they had tentatively tabbed for release. Literally nothing in my post suggested that. I'm not complaining that the product isn't released, I understand things happen and I want the game solid and ready when it comes out .

All I said is it might be time for some kind of update. Yes, Jim has used his formula of saying very little for many successful releases. But if we are being honest, marketing and PR has been fairly abysmal over the history of Solecismic's history and I feel even Jim himself would probably admit that. On the other hand, marketing and PR is a strong suit of OOTPD and I think many thought this release would follow more along that model as opposed to virtually no marketing or PR and then simply announcing it is released.

I'm honestly not even expecting them to necessarily announce a new tentative release date, but at least saying something would be nice.
I didn't or wouldn't think Jim would change his stripes because he has tagged onto the OOTPD. Sure, it would be nice. But thats not his MO and we just have a difference of opinion. I'm happy to wait and didn't give him any money that I deserve an update.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #30
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:

The only thing I'm worried about is that the project could wind up in jeopardy because of all the difficulties!
Old 01-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #31
echolodge
Minors (Single A)

Can't wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdheer View Post
Just a note to say that while I haven't been on the forum in years, I am super-duper excited about this announcement, and I cannot wait!
I echo this sentiment. Does anyone else have the feeling that the beta version of the game will be released real soon? I'm checking the forum every day and hoping to see news. Or am I just wishful in my thinking?
Old 01-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #32
HavenHunting
Minors (Double A)

I am hoping a release by the SuperBowl
Old 01-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #33
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by echolodge View Post
I echo this sentiment. Does anyone else have the feeling that the beta version of the game will be released real soon? I'm checking the forum every day and hoping to see news. Or am I just wishful in my thinking?
Extremely wishful thinking, extremely unlikely. As far as I know beta testing hasn't even begun on the game yet. Neither OOTPD nor Solecismic have typically released "beta" versions to the public, so we aren't likely to see a beta out to the public, as opposed to the final game being released once it has been fully tested.

Quote:
I am hoping a release by the SuperBowl
Once again, anything is possible, but if I was putting my money on something, I would say there's virtually no chance of this considering the last update we got a few months ago was that things had been longer than anticipated and that pre-order would be announced somewhere down the road.

This all stems to my previous posts how it would be nice to actually have something other than complete radio silence from OOTPD on this, as you now have people hoping and assuming for release dates simply because they don't know any better, and thus being disappointed again and again.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #34
rmoons24
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post

Considering this game was originally due in what, 2014? I'd say an update is more than necessary after yet another delay.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #35
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

The 5 to 6 minutes it might take to write an update is probably better spent working on the game at this point.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #36
Ben E Lou
Front Office Football Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoons24 View Post
Considering this game was originally due in what, 2014? I'd say an update is more than necessary after yet another delay.
That's not accurate, for a couple of reasons:

1. OOTP Developments was going to release an entirely different game in the past. (Not sure what year, but sure, we can go with 2014 if that's what you like. That game was cancelled because the lead developer had a major stroke, then passed away later. The game that is being worked on now is FOF9. It was not due in 2014. (FOF8 was released in late 2016.)

2. A 2018 release--as far as I can tell--was never promised. Markus at one point posted that there was no set release date, but that they were *hoping* for late 2018. I *think* that's the closest they ever came to giving any sort of date. The last update that I can find was from Jim, in Sept 2018, saying that they are "months away" from showing anything--not from releasing the game--but from even showing anything. (To me, that sounds like not even a screen shot.) Here are the relevant bits from that post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gindin View Post
As Markus wrote recently, we're months away from being able to show off this work. There is no release date scheduled, nor do we have anything settled right now. It's done when it's ready.

Quote:
Finally, while I'd like to provide frequent updates on progress, I'm also aware of the dangers of talking too much about something that isn't yet completed. I'm never going to tell you this is the "best" anything or promise that something will be in the game that we haven't yet programmed. I'm not going to be posting much while we're busy with development. Once we are closer to our goals, those around here who are more experienced with the product release process will start doing their thing and I assume I'll be here to answer questions and explain more about the product.

Apart from that, Jim very briefly noted in October that "we aren't on the cusp of releasing this product."
Old 01-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #37
Robmeister89
Minors (Double A)

An update can simply be saying 'everything is going smoothly' or 'everything is not going smoothly as we'd hoped, please bare with us'. Without saying anything, it leaves our minds wondering far too much. Considering they announced the merger in February of last year (yeah.. almost a year ago...) and have give us just one major update in that time span, I think we deserve at least a tiny bit of an update from the developers. Like I said, just come on here and say 'things are moving smoothly' or not.. for all we know, everything has gone array and nothing is working like they planned and that's why its been almost a year with one major update from the developer(s)...
Old 01-14-2019, 06:27 PM   #38
philthepat

Just my two cents, but the fact there hasn't been an update recently along with knowing who is working on this makes me think everything is going smoothly.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #39
thefatcat
Minors (Single A)

Jim is notorious for giving very few updates on progress, no one likes it, it pisses most people off. Good marketing normally helps sales and spreads the word and keeps people interested in most walks of life. But it's Jim's game he can do what he wants and us mere mortals can moan all we like it is not going to change.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #40
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

Jim also released a major patch and provided updated Rosters while we wait, let's not forget about that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk