Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 11-04-2018, 09:52 PM   #1
ike121212
All Star Reserve

More Weekend Feedback

Fun weekend playing around, and I know it's still a beta, so here my initial criticisms:

-Lack of auction search options is painful, really painful

-Future legends should be toned down or removed entirely. Some are rated so high it defies reason.

-No injuries + DH is encouraging some bad things, like carrying 15 pitchers.

-Anything less than bronze feels useless by the end of day 1. It makes casually opening packs feel bad fast.

-Once you're upgrading your team to silver cards, the repetition of cards on auction feels like there simply aren't enough options available, at least at some positions. When I look at other top teams, there's already a ton of duplication. Seems like you need more cards.

-Everyone putting their max bid in with 10 seconds left feels cheesy

-being forced to download new files, right as an auction is ending feels horrible

Last edited by ike121212; 11-04-2018 at 10:03 PM.
ike121212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #2
nickwatic
Minors (Double A)

What's wrong with carrying 15 pitchers? There are some MLB teams that will probably consider this. We've gotten close with teams carrying 13 (to my knowledge I don't know one that carries more). And to your point on bidding in the last 10 seconds. That's just how auctions go in all games
nickwatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:04 PM   #3
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwatic View Post
What's wrong with carrying 15 pitchers? And to your point on bidding in the last 10 seconds. That's just how auctions go in all games
No. It’s not. Time gets extended in some.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
ike121212
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwatic View Post
What's wrong with carrying 15 pitchers? There are some MLB teams that will probably consider this. We've gotten close with teams carrying 13 (to my knowledge I don't know one that carries more). And to your point on bidding in the last 10 seconds. That's just how auctions go in all games
15 pitchers, 9 players, 1 sub.....no team has ever considered this.

most games/auctions extend the duration when there's a bid
Old 11-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #5
mikezone13
All Star Reserve

Interesting, I would've thought less pitchers given no injuries... 5 starters and 5-6 in the pen leaves lots of situational pinch hitting/running.

Guess it depends on how you want to play the game, a bit like real baseball.
mikezone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #6
ike121212
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezone13 View Post
Interesting, I would've thought less pitchers given no injuries... 5 starters and 5-6 in the pen leaves lots of situational pinch hitting/running.

It'll be interesting to see how people feel in a couple days. I think the leaders will either be using 'extreme' strategies or have stacked teams.

Last edited by ike121212; 11-05-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezone13 View Post

This. I have been considering going with 11 pitchers to get more offensive flexibility.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

one suggestion I would have, as I think this would be nice feature to have, tho maybe it would require too much overhead to configure

it would be cool to receive an email (perhaps on a daily basis? perhaps weekly? or maybe every 20 games?) reporting the results and stats of the previous period, as well as the standings

this would be an "opt in" option of course, as I am sure there are many ppl who don't need the extra "spam" in their inboxes
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #9
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
This. I have been considering going with 11 pitchers to get more offensive flexibility.
I've been doing that for a while. Works since I have 5 good starters who can pitch deep into most games. When I was carrying 12 pitchers, the ai wasn't even using the 12th guy for weeks at a time anyway.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #10
ike121212
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
I've been doing that for a while. Works since I have 5 good starters who can pitch deep into most games. When I was carrying 12 pitchers, the ai wasn't even using the 12th guy for weeks at a time anyway.
I think big bullpens means 3/4 starters on pitch counts, and then abusing L/R matchups and AI lineup decisions the rest of the way.

Hope the bullpen size point doesn't distract from my other points. Absence of key filters is a big deal, and I still feel the number of silver cards is lacking. Too many of the same guys popping up consistently in auctions, and on my opponents roster.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #11
bsuball41
Bat Boy

Is there any way we could get an option to submit a lineup change effective at some time in the future? Like let’s say you want to bring up a reliever and reserve an OF, but not until May 4 in the game and that happens to be at 3:30 AM in real life.
bsuball41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike121212 View Post
Hope the bullpen size point doesn't distract from my other points. Absence of key filters is a big deal, and I still feel the number of silver cards is lacking. Too many of the same guys popping up consistently in auctions, and on my opponents roster.
There are just under 3000 cards overall. With a couple thousand human players so far and climbing, obviously there are going to be a few duplicates.

I don't think we need more cards, since we want it to be at least theoretically possible for someone to collect all of them, or at least all of a certain type.

And no matter how many cards we have, there will be duplicates. It's unavoidable.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #13
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Too many of the same guys popping up consistently in auctions, and on my opponents roster.
I do see a lot of the same cards. it seems. I get a Joey Gallo in every pack. Fortunately, other people seem to like the bum.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:05 PM   #14
ike121212
All Star Reserve

Quote:
There are just under 3000 cards overall. With a couple thousand human players so far and climbing, obviously there are going to be a few duplicates.

I don't think we need more cards, since we want it to be at least theoretically possible for someone to collect all of them, or at least all of a certain type.

And no matter how many cards we have, there will be duplicates. It's unavoidable.
In my experience, in the silver range, where most players are shopping right now, there's a lack of options at some positions.

3000 is not an impressive number. More so when you consider that low bronze and below are effectively useless. I hope you haven't miscalculated how quickly everyone is going to incrementally improve their roster to high silver and above, even with no cash shop. How many of those 3000 are 75+?

In my first 3 series, I'm going to face Carlos Carrasco 3 times. I'm going to face him on back to back days. He's a platinum card. With no cash shop, he should be extremely rare.

Last edited by ike121212; 11-05-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #15
sansterre
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

It's sort of like the Birthday Paradox, where given a group of 23 people, there's a 50% chance that at least one pair of people have the same birthday. It sounds like an unlikely coincidence, but it's actually as likely as not to happen. Open thousands of packs sampling from a few thousand players and you'll get some players who rarely seem to occur, and others who seem to occur all the damned time. Interestingly, the fact that the data will spike for certain cards is proof that the system is actually random, as random number patterns will show that kind of variation. Sort of like 200 coin flips are more likely than not to have at least one string of six heads or six tails.
sansterre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #16
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
3000 is not an impressive number.
Um. I beg to differ.

You will always have duplicates, even if we had 10,000 cards. I think 3000 is a good number for both variety and the possibility for collectors to actually complete the collection.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #17
ike121212
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansterre View Post
It's sort of like the Birthday Paradox, where given a group of 23 people, there's a 50% chance that at least one pair of people have the same birthday. It sounds like an unlikely coincidence, but it's actually as likely as not to happen. Open thousands of packs sampling from a few thousand players and you'll get some players who rarely seem to occur, and others who seem to occur all the damned time. Interestingly, the fact that the data will spike for certain cards is proof that the system is actually random, as random number patterns will show that kind of variation. Sort of like 200 coin flips are more likely than not to have at least one string of six heads or six tails.
There's a bunch of 75+ cards that already exist in my league 3-4 times. Not a huge problem, but if that grows to 6-8 in the next week or two, then I'd say it's a problem.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #18
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
In my experience, in the silver range, where most players are shopping right now, there's a lack of options at some positions.

3000 is not an impressive number. More so when you consider that low bronze and below are effectively useless. I hope you haven't miscalculated how quickly everyone is going to incrementally improve their roster to high silver and above, even with no cash shop. How many of those 3000 are 75+?

In my first 3 series, I'm going to face Carlos Carrasco 3 times. I'm going to face him on back to back days. He's a platinum card. With no cash shop, he should be extremely rare.
Actually the majority are probably 75+, at least of the historical players. There are a ton of high level historical guys no one's pulled at all yet, from what I can see.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #19
sansterre
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
There's a bunch of 75+ cards that already exist in my league 3-4 times. Not a huge problem, but if that grows to 6-8 in the next week or two, then I'd say it's a problem.
Then it sounds like you don't want random, you want controlled and even, ie, every time a pack is generated it looks at the number of each card in the PT universe and adjusts odds accordingly to keep the balance level.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to code it
sansterre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #20
ike121212
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansterre View Post
Then it sounds like you don't want random, you want controlled and even, ie, every time a pack is generated it looks at the number of each card in the PT universe and adjusts odds accordingly to keep the balance level.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to code it
I'm just saying that there's a level of duplication where it's a problem. Maybe it won't get there, but I see warning signs.