Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #81
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_named_Nick View Post
I have not read every post in this thread, nor many posts on BTS in general. However, on this last page there's talk of having no overall/potential ratings at all? I'll admit that I enjoy looking at stats and theorizing talent based on them in OOTP somewhat, but having overall/potential to get just a general sense of the players worth is essential for me.

Will OVR/POT be optional, like OOTP? I don't want to be pigeonholed into looking at pages of stats before I decide on one move for my team. Sometimes I just like to play the guys who have the highest OVR and go from there.
Agreed 100%. It is tedious to break down every attribute of a player's game. But it's not in v1, so we'll have to make do.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #82
Spitfire221
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
Obviously off the field issues is a huge issue (more so than Baseball currently). So there's going to be something, however exactly how this manifests itself in the game I don't know yet.
We have to be very careful what we name any potential attribute in the game and the impression it gives.
How about some hidden attributes like FM has, so a hidden attribute for aggression and decision making, with a combination of higher aggression and lower decision making, or simply lower decision making, making a player more likely to do something stupid on/off the field? Or something to that effect?
Old 11-19-2014, 04:45 AM   #83
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

oh yeah we can have hidden stuff going on behind the scenes, but eventually you have to have some message which says "Player X has been banned for Y", it's that message we have to be far more careful with that OOTP etc.

Last edited by Francis Cole; 11-19-2014 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #84
Spitfire221
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
oh yeah we can have hidden stuff going on behind the scenes, but eventually you have to have some message which says "Player X has been banned for Y", it's that message we have to be far more careful with that OOTP etc.
Ah gotcha, that makes perfect sense
Old 11-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #85
conception
All Star Starter

I'm rather late to this conversation and I haven't perused every page, but I do think if there is an overall rating it should vary depending on scheme like the NFL HC series did. I know there has been some discussion as to whether or not there will even be schemes, but if there are a player's overall rating should be more dependent upon the skills most utilized in that scheme. For example, power run would mean stronger backs get rated higher, west coast offense would rate higher backs who can receive. Head Coach would let you pick a scheme and loaded up default player preferences, but you still had the ability to modify what you wanted in your offense. You could set if you wanted a pass rushing, run stopping, or balanced DE. You could choose if you preferred a speed, power, or balanced back.

Even without schemes, it's beneficial to allow different overall ratings based on what the user prefers at that position. In a way, it allows for schemes even if they aren't fully implemented (ie if every guy I sign is a power blocker and a power back, I'll be a power team).
Old 11-20-2014, 04:51 AM   #86
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
I do think if there is an overall rating it should vary depending on scheme
Which one of the reasons why (at least for V1) overall ratings will not be in.

It's not really like OOTP/Baseball where on starting pitcher is generally going to perform the same at every team (I know there are ball park differences)
Old 11-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #87
sexyteeroy
Bat Boy

So I see this has been mentioned sorta but I'd like to elaborate a bit.

Each year when I get Madden I create a spread sheet for my teams depth chart. For each position I put my players in with their corresponding attributes. Then based on what kind of style(scheme) I want to run I apply different weights to each attribute, i.e. Power Back would have more weight applied to break tackle/strength while a Speed Back would be Speed/Acceleration. Anyways I do this with all positions and come up with "my own" Ovr rating for each player at each position. If something like this could be implemented in the game that would be awesome. It's not an Ovr rating per se, but just an option to tailor your team to your liking. Just a thought.

Couple questions. Since all players are based on the same scale an 85 speed WR is the same as a 85 speed DE/LB/FB/TE correct? I know that seems obvious but just wanted to double check. Will we be able to change positions put guys wherever we want (QB to HB/WR to CB)? If we can do that how will the position awareness work? Will we be able to get information on all prospects in the draft or only a certain amount, or is it going to be based more so on your scouts/gm ability for accuracy?

That's all I have for now. I have to say I'm really, really looking forward to this game. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #88
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Since all players are based on the same scale an 85 speed WR is the same as a 85 speed DE/LB/FB/TE correct?
Correct.

Quote:
Will we be able to change positions put guys wherever we want (QB to HB/WR to CB)?
You can set the depth chart anyway you want, so if you want a QB at CB you can.

Quote:
Will we be able to get information on all prospects in the draft or only a certain amount, or is it going to be based more so on your scouts/gm ability for accuracy?/
You see all college players from the moment they are Freshmen, of course how accurate you perceive them is down to your scouts, and how long they have been playing college ball for.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:14 AM   #89
tsmith023
Bat Boy

Scheme Fits

A model similar to Football Manager may be best for scheme fits.

Where all have fixed attributes, and a star system for player roles in positions.

So Brandon Graham would have a 3.5/4 star rating as a 3-4 OLB, but 1 star 4-3 OLB/Coverage LB.

Similar with press/zone/man corners, In the box/deep safeties etc etc.

This can then help you train players in a new role, as occurs in real life. So if a team changes scheme, you can train current personnel to try and become successful in a new role (like the Eagle's initial change to 3-4 two years ago to keep the example going), but it will take time, and experience played in that position.

Last edited by tsmith023; 03-09-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #90
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Here's how some other folks do it:

How Madden Ratings Are Made | FiveThirtyEight

And here's how you might allow gamers to rate themselves accurately:

How Madden Ratings Are Made | FiveThirtyEight

Last edited by Leo_The_Lip; 03-09-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #91
phillyboy19
All Star Reserve

I changed this post and moved it to frequently asked questions I don't know how to delete posts though so um hi

Last edited by phillyboy19; 03-21-2015 at 07:50 PM.