Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #61
whouse85
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'd rather just have a 1-10, 1-20, or 1-99 scale for ratings and not have an overall rating at all.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:32 AM   #62
Swean-Dawg04
Bat Boy

It sounds like the way that you are making this is like real life in that there isnt an overall rating slapped onto a player once they hit the open market and teams only normally go after free agents if they need a certain position player with certain attributes. I like how this sounds a lot.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:45 AM   #63
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

That's correct
Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #64
jozza800
Bat Boy

I'm surprised that you're not going down the Football Manager route.

I hate the idea of an Overall attribute.

Every position (barring maybe the Kicker/Punter) should have the same attributes, especially Mental and Physical.

The attributes shouldn't change depending on what position they play or for which team they play either. A player is either fast or he's not, he's got a strong arm or he hasn't, he's got the weight/strength to block or he hasn't etc.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #65
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Maybe I have not explained properly then, as everything you said in your post is what BTS doing. There is no overall attribute, Every position does have the same ratings; you can see what catching ability a punter has for example.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #66
agrimsley
Minors (Rookie Ball)

This is great news. I'm assuming we can combine this with the ability to switch positions? Taking that dual threat college QB and turning him into a pro. HB, CB, TE, WR etc. depending on his strong attributes of course
Old 07-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #67
jozza800
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
Maybe I have not explained properly then, as everything you said in your post is what BTS doing. There is no overall attribute, Every position does have the same ratings; you can see what catching ability a punter has for example.
Sounds great then!!

Ive obviously not read the post properly. I do apologise.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #68
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whouse85 View Post
I'd rather just have a 1-10, 1-20, or 1-99 scale for ratings and not have an overall rating at all.
I like an overall rating of some sort or something to help define how a player is doing at a quick glance without having to examine and study all the stats and attributes for each player...or at the very least a highlighted portion of his attributes that matter most in comparison to his position (FM does this)....but I understand how some don't want it.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #69
dumbrabbit
All Star Reserve

I don't mind an OVR rating, but a POT rating should not be in the game. Most of the time the POT rating is inaccurate, and players sometimes don't reach that POT rating.

Just my opinion though.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #70
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbrabbit View Post
I don't mind an OVR rating, but a POT rating should not be in the game. Most of the time the POT rating is inaccurate, and players sometimes don't reach that POT rating. But to each their own...

Just my opinion though.
the potential rating is no different then your scout saying this guys going to be a star or a top player and then turn out to be a dud. Only difference is we see it in a number (and eventually in addition to a scouting report). I like the potential ratings. That's where the fun is.

Last edited by dave1927p; 08-06-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:43 AM   #71
dumbrabbit
All Star Reserve

Okay I'll give you that. It's just that I find most POT ratings in games not reached. Perhaps it's just that I'm developing him wrong.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #72
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

I've read through every post on this board as they have been made so forgive me if I forgot if this has been asked or not...

Will players have some sort of attitude/character/discipline rating? With the NFL going through off field issues, this could be an interesting issue to integrate. This goes for the college game as well because there are always incidents off the field that affect a player's playing status.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #73
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Obviously off the field issues is a huge issue (more so than Baseball currently). So there's going to be something, however exactly how this manifests itself in the game I don't know yet.
We have to be very careful what we name any potential attribute in the game and the impression it gives.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #74
colourmebrad
Minors (Double A)

Yeah, I think a news story of "got in trouble with the cops" or whatever is all you need. No one needs a story saying "beat the **** out of his kid/partner".

I also think it's important to be able to turn off off-the-field stuff. One of the things I love about virtual sports leagues is that you can focus on all the stuff you love and not have to wince and ignore the ugly parts of professional sports reality.

brad
Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #75
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

Agreed on both parts. I think the news stories would suffice. Would this be tied to some sort of rating making certain players more likely to be in trouble than others? Not sure if that's how OOTP handles it or not. And of course being able to shut it off would be great.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #76
Big_Johnsta
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
not sure how FOF does it but I enjoy their overall ratings generally.
Agreed, one thing I really enjoy about FOF7 is the rating system. I feel that it is very realistic depiction of the real NFL. Every team doesn't have a stud QB for example. Just like in real life they are hard to come by. There are first round busts and late round gems. The balance is very good in this regard in my opinion.

Another thing I really like is that my scouts (depending on their rating) will rate players differently than the next teams scout, especially if his scout is not as good as mine. This also realistically depicts the NFL. You will have different scouts with different opinions on players. I much prefer a system like this over a Madden system, where every team has every player in the NFL with the same ratings.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #77
Nick_named_Nick
Bat Boy

I have not read every post in this thread, nor many posts on BTS in general. However, on this last page there's talk of having no overall/potential ratings at all? I'll admit that I enjoy looking at stats and theorizing talent based on them in OOTP somewhat, but having overall/potential to get just a general sense of the players worth is essential for me.

Will OVR/POT be optional, like OOTP? I don't want to be pigeonholed into looking at pages of stats before I decide on one move for my team. Sometimes I just like to play the guys who have the highest OVR and go from there.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #78
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Player's have attributes (current/potential)
For example: Tackling: 50 current, 75 potential.

However they don't have one overall score unlike - for example - Madden.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #79
colourmebrad
Minors (Double A)

Will we have the ability to define our own formula for an Overall rating and have that displayed?
Old 11-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #80
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

There's no overall rating.