Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #41
BradC
All Star Starter

Wow, Front Page Sports Football sounds like a disaster. Those 3D screenshots and video clips looked pretty good, so I thought they might give us a run for our money, but obviously not. And then when you add in all that other stuff that should be brain-dead obvious to include (2-point conversions, onside kicks, going for it on 4th down in certain situations, etc.), wow ... Just, wow.

Thanks for the intel.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #42
Penfold75
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Wow, Front Page Sports Football sounds like a disaster. Those 3D screenshots and video clips looked pretty good, so I thought they might give us a run for our money, but obviously not. And then when you add in all that other stuff that should be brain-dead obvious to include (2-point conversions, onside kicks, going for it on 4th down in certain situations, etc.), wow ... Just, wow.

Thanks for the intel.
Brad, I bought it because like many people we have been desperate for a really good American Football GM style game for years. I tried Front Office Football and as much is it is a really good in depth game I can't look at the shocking UI for too long before giving up. Front Page Sports Football really is a debacle of Biblical proportions if you love the game of American Football. I played it for about 3 hours and then uninstalled it due to the glaring issues with the game. It is a complete insult to European based fans as I think they assumed they wouldn't have a clue about American Football and might not spot the 4 yard penalties, the lack of onside kicks or two point conversions. Just makes me look forward to BTS even more as I think Francis will make a great job of the game.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #43
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

Front page sports football is a disaster. It's curious that sierra would sell the license to a publisher that knows nothing about football. What a shame

Can we get some insight into what bits football will look like. Front office football has all the depths and options you could ever want. It is amazing. The problem? An abomination to look at. Awful interface. I can't imagine any game being stronger under the hood than FOF. BUt it is unplayable as a game experience

What can you tell us about the bts experience?
Old 10-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #44
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslanking View Post
Well, BTS is still very much in development. I'm guessing it'll be a while before even Francis can really answer that question.

That being said, he's discussed his vision for the game at pretty great length in different posts on the forums here. So if you hunt down his old posts, you'll probably get a good idea of what he's shooting for.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #45
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslanking View Post
Front page sports football is a disaster. It's curious that sierra would sell the license to a publisher that knows nothing about football. What a shame
I don't believe Sierra sold them the license. From what I gather, the copyright on it simply expired, so they were able to simply copyright it themselves, or something to that effect.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #46
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
If you can be more specific I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks,
Francis
Old 10-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #47
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

I guess I would ask. Have you played front office football or the original front page sports football? Is that what you are aiming to replicate, albeit with a much more polished interface. Seriously, FOF has very little to fault by way if depth but I can't even make it through a season because of the muddle.

My hope is we have a game that mimics ootp but in the football environ.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #48
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

I have indeed. I've spent what must be hundred of hours in the last decade or so playing FOF (as well as TCY!).

Quote:
Seriously, FOF has very little to fault by way if depth
While I don't want to disparage FOF in anyway, (the statics the game produces and the game plan for example are the best of any current game in this genre) I'm not sure I'd agree.

There are countless things I want in BTS (and will be present in BTSV1) which are not in FOF - my aim isn't just to try and exactly replicate any current game but with a different UI.

Last edited by Francis Cole; 10-05-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #49
Al Davis
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post

While I don't want to disparage FOF in anyway, (the statics the game produces and the game plan for example are the best of any current game in this genre) I'm not sure I'd agree.
Care to share your reasoning with us?

Quote:
There are countless things I want in BTS (and will be present in BTSV1) which are not in FOF -
Such as ?

thank you
Old 10-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #50
ironmarc
Bat Boy

Hello thanks for the initiative of creating this game, I think a lot of people out there are looking for a football sim and although I'm a fan of baseball, I'm a much bigger fan of football.

Now, I have a question about training, in OOTP you just hire a staff to train specific areas of your team and they go there and do their job, so you have no influence besides hiring or firing your coaches.

Is it going to work in the same way for BTS, or can you give your team or specific players general directions?
For example, Adrian Peterson was asked to bulk up at one point of his career, because he is a tall RB and he could lose a bit of speed to bulk up.
Some coaches and teams, like the Baltimore Ravens for example, highly value size and power over agility, stamina and speed, while guys like Andy Reid, Bill Belicheck and Chip Kelly, want speed, skill, agility and resistance from their players instead of pure strength and size.

Will we have some kind of influence in this besides signing and drafting players that fit a particular philosophy?

Sorry if this has been asked already, didn't read the whole thread, if it has, just say it and I'll look it up.

Another question is, we will have college football along with the NFL and if not, how the scouting for prospects will work? You know, because every football fan is a bit of a scout for his team lol... We are always on the look out for promising players and sometimes watch college football just to see a particular prospect in action, because he might end up playing for his team. How will that work in your sim?

Not to mention that I love college football too and it would be a blast to start up as a college HC and end up in a NFL team. Maybe a division III college HC and go up step by step?

Last edited by ironmarc; 10-07-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #51
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Such as ?
Pre-game stats and the draft process are two examples of the top of my head
Old 10-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #52
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Quote:
Some coaches and teams, like the Baltimore Ravens for example, highly value size and power over agility, stamina and speed, while guys like Andy Reid, Bill Belicheck and Chip Kelly, want speed, skill, agility and resistance from their players instead of pure strength and size.

Will we have some kind of influence in this besides signing and drafting players that fit a particular philosophy?
If you leave the signings/draft up to your coaches then they will sign players based off their own preferences.

Quote:
we will have college football along with the NFL
There are colleges, but for V1 you won't be able to be in control of one, but as a NFL GM you can see all the college players and track them when they first appear as freshmen through to the draft.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #53
Al Davis
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:

There are colleges, but for V1 you won't be able to be in control of one, but as a NFL GM you can see all the college players and track them when they first appear as freshmen through to the draft.
As a guy who plays FOF MP alot and is bored of it, this is cool.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #54
ironmarc
Bat Boy

Thanks for your answer and I had many tabs open and thought I was posting these questions on the FAQ thread, but posted in here, but it doesn't really matter I guess.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #55
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
If you leave the signings/draft up to your coaches then they will sign players based off their own preferences.
I think he's talking about if you can influence player training or not.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:35 AM   #56
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

At least for V1, The influence of training will be just in so far as how good your coaches are. e.g. a great QB coach vs a bad one.

In his original question he mentioned Size/Speed etc, I'm sure how you would train those, but maybe I have misunderstood the question
Old 10-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #57
Spitfire221
Bat Boy

Speaking of coaches, how many coaches will you be able to sign for your team?
Old 10-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #58
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

These are the staff you hire currently. Bear in mind it may have changed slightly by the time of release; I don't expect it to, but you never know.

Head Coach
Offensive Co-Ord
Def co-ord
ST co-ord
QBs Coach
RBs Coach
WRs ""
TEs ""
OLs ""
DLs ""
LBs ""
DBs ""
STs ""
Director of Pro Personnel (i.e. pro scout)
Director of College Scouting (i.e. college scout)
Head of Strength and Conditioning (i.e. physio/doctor)

Last edited by Francis Cole; 10-19-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #59
Spitfire221
Bat Boy

Quote:
These are the staff you hire currently. Bear in mind it may have changed slightly by the time of release.I don't expect it to, but you never know.

Head Coach
Offensive Co-Ord
Def co-ord
ST co-ord
QBs Coach
RBs Coach
WRs ""
TEs ""
OLs
DLs
LBs
DBs
STs
That's amazing, I've been playing Madden's franchise mode this week and been infuriated by only being able to sign one "coach" and "scout" so 2015 can't come soon enough!
Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #60
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
These are the staff you hire currently. Bear in mind it may have changed slightly by the time of release; I don't expect it to, but you never know.

Head Coach
Offensive Co-Ord
Def co-ord
ST co-ord
QBs Coach
RBs Coach
WRs ""
TEs ""
OLs ""
DLs ""
LBs ""
DBs ""
STs ""
I hope (and assume) that the coaches available will have unique coaching styles and preferences.

I also hope you can act in different roles in terms of coaching. If you act as the head coach, you can make the decisions to punt, kick, pass or run; the coordinator picks the play. Or you can act as the specific coordinator and have the AI decide what it wants to do and you just call the play. Or, you can do it all - which ever.