Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #41
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytron View Post
And if you will make CFL please also add Aussie rules. It makes no difference to Francis as long as he is drifting from his idea of "pure" NFL simulator. Is he?
The game will support other league structures and offer fictional opportunities, so I don't think calling it a strict NFL simulator is accurate. But yes, it is based on American (NFL) football in terms of the engine.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #42
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

Not really, I'm just trying to make everyone happy
Old 02-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #43
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

If the developers are going to start seriously messing with the code, I would hope they'd focus on historical play in the NFL rather than the CFL. Despite the vast differences in the way the game was played back in the early years, at least the NFL in the 1920s and '30s had eleven men per side and a 100-yard field.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #44
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Cole View Post
I'm sure we would all love CFL and all the other types of Football at some point, but the differences between NFL and CFL are rather huge.
There's that. But just the rules of football for the NFL have changed considerably over the years, the rules for football in the CFL have also changed considerably over the years. An example: it wasn't until 1956 that a touchdown was worth 6 points; prior to then it was worth only 5 points (Canadian football by and large retained more of its rugby roots than has American football; thus the greater emphasis on the kicking game. Indeed, for many years Canadian football was referred to as 'rugby football'. The original name of the Eastern Conference, for example, was 'Interprovincial Rugby Football Union'.)

The CFL as we know it now only really came about in 1961. Prior to then, the Eastern and Western conferences were separate, with no regular season games between them and each had its own playoff format and schedule. (The eastern and western sections of the CFL didn't play the same number of regular season games until 1974).

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 02-01-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #45
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk View Post
The game will support other league structures and offer fictional opportunities, so I don't think calling it a strict NFL simulator is accurate. But yes, it is based on American (NFL) football in terms of the engine.
I don't think that is accurate. Most we can probably do is renaming the NFL with CFL Teams and that isn't even close to the same. Probably change the financials but even then the draft, rules, player talent coming into the "CFL" would all be completely wrong. As a CFL fan, I will wait and just use the NFL as the NFL.

Quote:
I'm sure we would all love CFL and all the other types of Football at some point, but the differences between NFL and CFL are rather huge.

It would have been like expecting OOTP to provide a realistic model of Baseball, Softball, and Rounders in it's first version
Let's concentrate on one and get that perfect before we move on
We all know that the game will never be perfect...but it makes sense to have the NFL working to levels where people are happy before moving onto other leagues hopefully amoung them a true fictional leagues option (that can run in conjunction with real leagues like in ootp where you user can delete real leagues entirely is they want)

I would rather BTS set a foundation for fictional leagues that we are used to with OOTP with the option of templates for real leagues...that way we can just create the CFL on our own and share it via mod. The CFL is more likely to get in faster that route than officially. I would think that playable NCAA would be a much bigger priority then the CFL or AFL so when they have some of that "extra time" in a future version i hope they choose fictional.

What's made OOTP stand out is it's true fictional modes where the user can create and change worlds the way they want. FHM hasn't achieved this yet. But BTS must embrace it.

Last edited by dave1927p; 02-01-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #46
BradC
All Star Starter

While the CFL has some key differences from the NFL, Aussie rules football is essentially a different sport, isn't it? I can't speak for Markus and Francis - they may feel very differently about this - but I would think we would draw the line there. I can see including the CFL, as well as many of the minor leagues around the world, eventually, along with all kinds of historical play, but I'm not sure that Aussie rules football would really fit into the game. It seems to me that would require a different sim altogether.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #47
tomwolf2008
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
While the CFL has some key differences from the NFL, Aussie rules football is essentially a different sport, isn't it? I can't speak for Markus and Francis - they may feel very differently about this - but I would think we would draw the line there. I can see including the CFL, as well as many of the minor leagues around the world, eventually, along with all kinds of historical play, but I'm not sure that Aussie rules football would really fit into the game. It seems to me that would require a different sim altogether.
Right, I'll argue soccer is more similiar to Aussie football than American Football, so this will need to be a seperate game.

(There are actually some Aussie football sim on the market by the way, although I forget the name on top of my head)

Edit: now I remember, it's called Premiership Coach

Last edited by tomwolf2008; 02-01-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #48
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
You're exactly right. Aussie Rules isn't anything like American or Canadian football. It's an entirely different sport in every way, no more similar to American football than European Football is.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #49
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

As far as I know Aussie rules is some Soccer/Rugby hybrid. I wouldn't hold you breath on it being in BTS.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #50
shawa666
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Just announced my first Expansion Fictional CFL team-Alberta Clippers.
Where would they play, Ft McMurder?
Old 02-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #51
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Not really, I'm just trying to make everyone happy
You're a good man. Foolish, but good.

(What I'm trying to say is: good luck)
Old 02-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #52
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawa666 View Post
Where would they play, Ft McMurder?
Medicine Hat(6 games)
Calgary (2 games)
Edmonton (1 game)
Old 02-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #53
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
You're exactly right. Aussie Rules isn't anything like American or Canadian football. It's an entirely different sport in every way, no more similar to American football than European Football is.
Are the games played on cricket pitches?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 02-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #54
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
I don't think that is accurate. Most we can probably do is renaming the NFL with CFL Teams and that isn't even close to the same. Probably change the financials but even then the draft, rules, player talent coming into the "CFL" would all be completely wrong. As a CFL fan, I will wait and just use the NFL as the NFL.
He's said you can have a full-on fictional league, even 2+ running concurrently. The rules and such wouldn't be true CFL, but you could still have them around in addition to the NFL. At least as I've understood the announcements thus far.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #55
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
He's said you can have a full-on fictional league, even 2+ running concurrently. The rules and such wouldn't be true CFL, but you could still have them around in addition to the NFL. At least as I've understood the announcements thus far.
Yeah, but an 8 team league in Canada with NFL rules isn't the CFL.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #56
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

fair point
Old 02-02-2014, 12:01 AM   #57
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Are the games played on cricket pitches?
Th field is actually oval

File:AFL stadium.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-02-2014, 01:59 AM   #58
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
ok, thanks. I must of missed that.

Many NFLers would rather retire than play in the CFL or another league of that nature, so it would be great if we can change a reputation attribute of leagues.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #59
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
it would be great if we can change a reputation attribute of leagues.
That is certainly a good idea.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #60
Francis Cole
Lead Developer for BTS

I don't want to spoil the fun, but at the same time I don't want you to get your hopes up and then be disappointed when the first version doesn't have all the stuff you mention in this thread

V1 will be concentrating on mirroring the NFL (and Colleges) as accurately as possible. If we could have used the term 'NFL' in the newsletter we would have, perhaps using the term "Football" led to some confusion, but that was unavoidably unfortunately I apologize if not using the term 'NFL' gave you the wrong impression.

By all means you'll be able to customise your leagues and team names and have all the teams based in Canada (or wherever you want), and call the league the CFL (or whatever you want).
But it will be the CFL in name only.

I just don't want you to keep getting your hopes up for no reason for V1.

I hope you all understand
Francis

Last edited by Francis Cole; 02-02-2014 at 12:32 PM.