Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #41
Gern44
All Star Starter

I stumbed across the PEBA recently and find myself checking the League almost daily. Very well run, entertaining League!

If anyone needs/wants updated Jerseys or Logos, and it meets the guidelines set forth by Corsairs, feel free to make requests.

It would be cool to contribute to such a fine League.

Gern44's Blog
Gern44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #42
Athletics17
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gern44 View Post
I stumbed across the PEBA recently and find myself checking the League almost daily. Very well run, entertaining League!

If anyone needs/wants updated Jerseys or Logos, and it meets the guidelines set forth by Corsairs, feel free to make requests.

It would be cool to contribute to such a fine League.
Who knows, when I get the opportunity maybe I can have you update my Hyakujuu Shinkansen unis.

Athletics17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #43
ReverandStu
Bat Boy

Just sent an application form in. What a fantastic site you guys have there. I'd love the opportunity to join. Any team, any situation.

Cheers, Stu
ReverandStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #44
ajcrible
Bat Boy

I've been trying to access the site all day, but when I go to www.pebabaseball.com or Google the site, all I get is a spam site!?!?!?!?
ajcrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #45
Athletics17
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcrible View Post
I've been trying to access the site all day, but when I go to www.pebabaseball.com or Google the site, all I get is a spam site!?!?!?!?
The site went down shortly this morning. It is up and running now.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #46
Gern44
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athletics17 View Post
Who knows, when I get the opportunity maybe I can have you update my Hyakujuu Shinkansen unis.
It would be an honor.

Hows does that Japanese League work as part of the PEBA? Its not like a Feeder league right? Can players be traded across the leagues and stuff?

Gern44's Blog
Old 05-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #47
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gern44 View Post
Hows does that Japanese League work as part of the PEBA? Its not like a Feeder league right? Can players be traded across the leagues and stuff?
The League of the Rising Sun is definitely not a PEBA feeder league! The LRS is its own independent professional baseball league with its own feeder leagues (the Tokyo Collegiate Circuit and Nihon Koyaren) and its own set of unique rules. Examples of those rules include a limit of four gaijin (non-Japanese-born) players on the active roster at one time, a 35-man secondary roster, and a unique playoff format where the top seed plays all games of the best-of-7 opening round (the "Wasei Junkesshou") at home.

While PEBA and LRS teams cannot trade directly with one another, there are multiple paths for players to move between the leagues. The most obvious is free agency. The free market in the universe of the PEBA is a global one. Not only can a free agent choose to sign with a PEBA or LRS team, but he can also negotiate a contract with the other independent leagues in the universe, including the Alianza Béisbol Al Sur de la Frontera, the Liga Dominicana de Béisbol Invernal, and the San Juan Winter League.

But there are methods for a player to migrate from the PEBA to the LRS (or vice versa) without hitting the open market. Just as in real life, where *** players can be posted to MLB, LRS teams can post up to three players during the off-season. PEBA teams submit sealed bids on these players. If a LRS team decides to accept a bid on one of its posted players, the PEBA team will enter into a negotiation window with the player. If a contract is agreed upon during that window, the player is successfully posted and joins his new PEBA team, which pays the bidding sum to his former LRS team.

Japanese-born PEBA players can also be transferred from the PEBA to the LRS. For this to occur, they must first be designated for assignment and successfully clear PEBA waivers. If they clear waivers, before they are assigned to a minor league roster, the player's team may negotiate a transfer fee with a LRS team. If a fee is agreed upon, the player's contract is assigned to the LRS team, which then wires the agreed-upon sum to his former PEBA team.

Beyond the various unique rules and setup, the LRS boasts and extremely tight-knit and competitive group of GMs. Some of them you may know; it's home to OOTP forum member RonCo, amongst others. Far from being a "secondary league", the LRS is a full-fledged top-tier experience of its own. PEBA and LRS GMs talk regularly on our forums, interact during numerous events (e.g. All-Star and end-of-season awards voting, the Winter Meetings, etc.), and support one another when one league has a special event. For instance, the LRS draft will be held this evening, and several PEBA GMs will be stopping by to provide color commentary during the proceedings. I would heartily recommend either league for those interested in involving themselves in a community- and participation-focused online experience.
Corsairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #48
Gern44
All Star Starter

Wow. I hadn't expected such an indepth reply. Thats very impressive.

Unfortunately, im stuck on OOTPX. I haven't upgraded to 11 (nor will I do so to 12) as I've elected to spend my limited disposible income in other areas. It sounds like it would be a great League to be a part of.

I will definitely be following the League by way of its website. Thanks for taking the time to respond... and for what must be an amazing amount of time that you put into the PEBA.

Gern44's Blog
Old 05-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #49
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

John is a tremendous commish who does indeed put a lot of time and effort into the league. I realize that not every league fits every GM, but anyone who joins an online league without seriously considering the PEBA/LRS is doing themselves a disservice.

As a PEBA GM, it's been fun to watch former players of mine in the LRS. It's also been frustrating to see a player I'm interested in sign with an LRS team. The fact that some players bounce back and forth and some make a one way journey (in either direction), makes for a really fun environment to be a part of.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #50
Gern44
All Star Starter

I hope the PEBA and its management don't mind me having some creative fun with the League (especially the GM of the Reno Tenpinners)...

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ners-peba.html

Gern44's Blog
Old 05-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #51
RonCo
Hall Of Famer

It took me about a month to kinda "get" the LRS, but once I did I realized it's one of the more intriguing leagues in existence.
RonCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #52
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

The Gnats will be heading to their eighth consecutive playoff appearance

The Crystal Lake Sandgnats are a dream opening. With a franchise record of 849 wins against 421 losses, they are the PEBA's all-time second-winningest team. They ain't slowing down, either. Last year, Crystal Lake won their 7th-consecutive Great Lakes Division title on the strength of a 105-57 campaign. No team has been able to hold a candle to the Gnats for sheer sustained dominance.

It gets better (or worse if you're the competition). Crystal Lake boasts the league's #1-rated farm system. Their embarrassment of riches includes top prospects like C Pepe Espinosa (BA's #24 overall prospect, who is working on a magnificent rookie campaign), 3B Chris "Jitters" Long (who just finished a dominating AAA season at age 22), 1B Lou Powell (who was crushing AAA pitchers before an elbow injury ended his season prematurely) and SP Curt "Cobra" Turner (BA's 4th-ranked pitching prospect and a certified stud in the making). These are the kinds of young players that could totally revitalize a stagnating franchise. In the hands of the Gnats, they're simply the next wave of shock troops, preparing to join an army that is mercilessly slaughtering its foes. Losing is a disease, and "Cobra" Turner is the cure.

Was that not enough for you? Should I bother to mention that the team is swimming in available funds, allowing a new GM to freely explore the free agent market or extend key players? Or that the team has draw over 3.6 million fans to Gnat Field in each of the last four seasons? Or that the deep pockets of owner and Oracle CEO Larry Ellison should ensure steady cash flow over the long term? Nah... by now, I think you've got the picture.

For all their success, there is one thing the Gnats haven't done, and that's win a Planetary Extreme Championship. Oh, they've been close. They've obviously been to the playoffs each year of the league's extistence and they've even qualified for the PEC on two occasions (2008 and 2010), but they've never managed to take home the Rodriguez Cup.

As the team's new General Manager, you're going to have an immediate opportunity to change Crystal Lake's reputation for playoff ineptitude. The PEBA is just one month away from its 2014 playoffs, and the Sandgnats are a lock for their eighth consecutive post-season berth. The moves you make between now and the start of the playoffs could mean the difference between another post-season disappointment for northern Illinois baseball fans and the boys in green finally hoisting the Rodriguez Cup.

Are you the GM to put it all together and finally bring the Cup to the great state of Illinois? Contact us today and let's find out. The Gnats hold a miniscule half-game lead over the Fargo Dinosaurs in the Great Lakes race. No Sandgnats team has ever failed to win the division. Don't let your new fans down! Come on board and provide the leadership necessary to give them what they're hungering for: Crystal Lake's first Planetary Extreme Championship.

And don't forget to read The History of the PEBA on GMGames.org!

Last edited by Corsairs; 06-17-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #53
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

Mediocrity, thy name is Gloucester

"Average Joes." That pretty much sums up the Gloucester Fishermen. Over the PEBA's first seven seasons, Gloucester has never finished better than second-place and never worse than fourth-place in the six-team Pan-Atlantic Division. As the league puts a wrap on its eighth season, it looks like that record will continue. The Fishermen are 75-81 on the season, good for another ho-hum fourth-place finish if they can hold off Connecticut and London.

But it doesn't have to be like this. In fact, it shouldn't be like this... not with the talent that Gloucester has. And when you're talking "Gloucester talent", the conversation is of course going to start with the "Mayor": Manuel Corona. Is he the PEBA's best pitcher? Well, Markus Hancock might have something to say about that, but the Mayor is certainly in the conversation. If only the Fishermen could trot Corona out there every day... but then, finding complementary arms to start games will be your job.

Gloucester doesn't lack for power. Gregory Arnold, Stan Brown, António Coronado and Mark Adams all have 20 or more homers on the season. What they need are some players that can get on base in front of these big sluggers. The team's below-average .317 OBP won't cut it. 2B Glen Ganey, he of the .417 OBP and 49 SB, is precisely what Gloucester needs to set the table for the big boppers. Too bad Ganey was lost for the season in late August with a hip strain...

Good news can be found in the minors. Gloucester's minor league system is #6-ranked in the league. Prized SP prospect Alfredo Velázquez, who was signed out of Puerto Rico four years ago, just completed a respectable rookie season in the bigs that will hopefully provide him with valuable experience. 22-year-old John Prentiss tore up AAA (34 HR, .580 SLG%); he looks major league-ready. So, too, does LF William McKee, who is getting a cup of coffee in the bigs as we speak. Every club could use a slugging catcher, and Gloucester has a young one with a bright future in Jeff Tolbert. Russell Wright continued to flash the skills that make scouts drool during those moments that he's healthy enough to take the field.

Oh, there will be tough choices to make. The Mayor is arbitration eligible for the first time this off-season. Say goodbye to that league-minimum salary. The question is do you tie him up to a long-term deal, go year to year, or maybe try to trade him while his value is at it's peak? What about Ganey? He's a pending free agent and he's injured, to boot, but he also possesses the leadoff skills the team desperately needs. Should he be extended or allowed to walk? And how to handle those emerging youngsters?

These questions and more will be answered by you. Start answering them by contacting us today. You'll receive an mailing with information about the league and further details about the application process. We're looking not only for a GM who can lead the team to victory, but also a quality individual who enjoys writing and chatting with league-mates on our forums. If you're this individual, don't hesitate - get in touch!

And don't forget to read The History of the PEBA on GMGames.org!
Old 07-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #54
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

The PEBA has filled up it's roster as the league kicks off the 2014 playoffs. Please visit our website to follow the post-season action and developing storylines! Will this be the first year where a two-time Planetary Extreme Championship winner is crowned? We'll soon find out...
Old 10-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #55
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

The little team that could needs a GM who can

The PEBA is looking for a GM to take over the Tempe Knights. Tempe has been the feel-good story of the PEBA since their dreadful first year of play. The Knights are far and away the smallest market team in the league. Refusing to use that as an excuse, Tempe rose to glory on the arm of Markus “Fireworks” Hancock, the #1 selection in the 2008 draft. Fireworks became the preeminent pitcher of his generation. He won three straight Golden Arm awards and led the Knights to an extraordinary Planetary Extreme Championship in 2012. In just five years, small market Tempe had risen from the ashes of a 45-117 inaugural season to league champs.

Success is difficult to sustain for any ballclub, even more so for one that is financially challenged. Having extended themselves to the max to win the Rodriguez Cup, Tempe management realized that drastic measures were necessary to move the team forward. Fireworks was dealt to the Bakersfield Bears in a massive trade involving 10 players, five draft picks and cash. Gone, too, was All-Star SP Conan McCullough; his departure via free agency netted the team two high draft picks. Another mainstay of the rotation, Barney Sharp, was moved to Manchester along with top bat Jason Kirkland for promising minor league talent.

2014 was an off-season of upheaval for the team. That tumult has shown in the standings. Tempe finished the 2014 season at 78-84 - a respectable record for a rebuilding club, but certainly a lesser record than a team just two years removed from the league championship would expect. 2015 is off to an even rockier start. The Knights are 19-31 through the first two months of the season. Work will need to be done to kick-start the rebuilding process and whip the club into shape.

A sign of a brighter future can be found in the minor leagues, where all those players acquired in the big trades of the 2012 heroes are making an impact. All of Tempe's minor league franchises are at or above .500. In a bit of a surprise, despite all the big trades, many of Tempe's brightest young prospects (Clayton Lewis, Matt Carter, Jerry Neal) did not arrive via trade but are actually products of the draft.

Speaking of the draft, the PEBA 2015 Amateur Draft will be held live this Saturday, Oct. 8. The choices made here will undoubtedly shape the team for seasons to come. You could be the man to make these pivotal choices. Join us and start shaping Tempe's future. We're looking for clever-minded candidates who enjoy writing and participating in an active baseball community. You may be just the man for the job!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #56
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

A valued former member will be returning to the fold to take over general managership of the Knights. Welcome back, Alan! The move from the LRS to the PEBA should be an interesting one.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #57
Athletics17
All Star Starter

Nice!!! That is fantastic news.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #58
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

The Great Lakes division is ripe for the taking... can the Badgers capitalize?

In what will hopefully be our final opening before our transition to OOTP 12, the PEBA is seeking candidates to take over as General Manager of the Kalamazoo Badgers. This is a franchise that has been mired in mediocrity for a while now, but a window of opportunity is opening. The Crystal Lake Sandgnats, long the dominant force in the Great Lakes Division, are beginning to show cracks in their iron wall of supremacy. Other Great Lakes teams like Omaha, Canton, and Fargo are moving in to capitalize on this perceived weakness. The Badgers have the talent to do the same, but they'll need help in the form of strong leadership prepared to answer tough questions.

What kind of questions are we talking about? Well, for starters, is Francisco Debesa for real? The longtime farmhand is enjoying a breakout season. A new GM will have to decide whether he merits a long-term contract or whether to go year by year during his arbitration years. Also, where does the team find some quality starting pitching? Rookies Marcos González and Luis Montoya can't do it all. How about former 1st rounder Lorenzo "Big Cheese" Amador? Arguably the top catching prospect in baseball is beating up Hi-A pitching. Is it time to promote him, or should the team take drastic measures and trade him, trusting the more advanced Stan Holmes instead?

As new Badgers GM, you'll be in charge of answering these and many more crucial questions. The path you take will determine if Kalamazoo is able to enter the conversation of Great Lakes contenders. So get in touch with us today to get started on your path to glory! The PEBA will remain an OOTP 11 league for another two months, but you don't have to wait for our transition to get involved with the best baseball community OOTP has to offer. Join up now and start plotting your course to the ultimate goal: the Planetary Extreme Championship!