Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2003, 02:30 PM   #81
bigphesta
Banned

It was posted earlier, but a league's success is directly related to a consistant commish and solid owners.... thankfully the NAHHBL has been blessed with both. Not braggin here, but I think at any given time, I've got the best 29 other guys in OOTP, and it seems I NEVER go more than 24 hours with a spot open. Guess I've been pretty lucky here.

I attribute the league's success to a few things. First, I HARDLY miss a sim. I think the last sim missed was in April when I was moving across the state, and of course, the whole league knew about this weeks in advance. Second, fairness. Sounds simple, but I will not bend a single rule for a single person at ANY time. The rules are all listed, they're very clear, and they get stuck to. There's absolutely NO favortism in the league at all. Third, in reguards to rules, theres a unique set of rules which keeps the league balanced enough that even the worst team, if ran properly, CAN succeed in just a short time. Fourth, I'd say my web site looks VERY professional.

Fifth, owners. Not the quality of the owners as much as my total control over what owners stay and who gets booted. I track who submits what and when they submit, and if a owner misses three sims in a row, or doesn't maintain a solid level of submissions (70% minimum in the NAHHBL) they get booted. I don't buy the "there's not enough people playing OOTP to boot someone" which was said earlier. Not true at all. But the key is NOT getting to this point. SCREEN your applicants. Make them put down references. Find out info about them first and choose the BEST guy, not the first to respond. Also, I have NO problems taking on OOTP newbies. Sure, it's a little more work on my part (answering "how do I submit an expimp") but if someone's first experience in a league is a great one, then that person will always remember the league and probably stay in it. For instance, when I got OOTP3, I applied to join the CDL, and it must have been a mistake, but I actually got in. To this day, it's my favorite league i'm in (NAHHBL withstanding). I've been in DOZENS of leagues since then, but it was my first and the BEST ran (speaking of consistancy, I think there's only been one missed sim since I joined, and that was due to the commish having a baby - ok not him personally, his wife, but you get my point).

The final thing which keeps a league successful in MY book, is don't bring non-league related stuff into the league. I dont' want to go to the league and discuss politics (that's for the OT board) I don't want to go to the league and discuss football. I don't want to go to the league and see pics of half dressed ugly red-heads. I want the league to do one thing - bring me the best OOTP experience ever. I can come here for everything else.

Last edited by bigphesta; 02-01-2003 at 02:32 PM.
bigphesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:43 PM   #82
twins15
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by darkhorse
So true, a proper avatar commands, nay compels, respect from your peers.
My avatar commands respect from everyone here.

Bismarck Boy Scouts of the OTBL - league yes-man

Ross Gload at baseball-reference.com

Book Quotes and Book Lists
twins15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 04:55 PM   #83
LivnLegend
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by bigphesta
...blah blah blah...I don't want to go to the league and see pics of half dressed ugly red-heads. I want the league to do one thing - bring me the best OOTP experience ever. I can come here for everything else.
Amen!
Old 02-01-2003, 09:56 PM   #84
crackpott
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by LivnLegend
Amen!
I agree. A page with ugly redheads would be troublesome. Luckily I haven't come by one yet.

Seriously though, as I mentioned earlier, that's kind of the point. If you want to judge my league by the picture on the front, good for you, I really wouldn't want you in anyway if that's the only thing you make your judgement on.

Besides... maybe the half dressed redheads don't want to see you.
crackpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 11:02 PM   #85
IatricSB
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by twins15
My avatar commands respect from everyone here.
Exactly. It was easy to see by your avatar that you were a young girl, so everyone knew instantly how to interact with you.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a Ride!"

Chicago(N) - Boys of Summer
Oakland - 20th Century League
Bakersfield - Wild Things
Brooklyn - QBA
Dodge City - NBSL
California - ABC

Dodger's Senioriest fan on the OOTP Boards
IatricSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 12:45 AM   #86
LivnLegend
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by crackpott
I agree. A page with ugly redheads would be troublesome. Luckily I haven't come by one yet.
No joke...the other day my wife and I were watching TV and flipped past That 70's Show. I said to my wife, "Laura Prepon has got to be the ugliest actress on TV if you only count those who are supposed to be playing attractive characters." I was dead serious. My wife agreed. Prepon is the complete opposite of hot.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:49 AM   #87
treedom
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seriously though, as I mentioned earlier, that's kind of the point. If you want to judge my league by the picture on the front, good for you, I really wouldn't want you in anyway if that's the only thing you make your judgement on.
that picture works both ways...
Old 02-02-2003, 12:51 AM   #88
Total Nirvana
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally posted by bigphesta
You Suck. Your League Sucks. Only thing good there is the very cool Atlanta GM, other than that, it sucks.

Your Off-Topic Nightmare.

Free Agent OT Player - Plays 1B/3B/OF, hits for power on all fields, great fielder, can hit .330 a season!
Total Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:36 AM   #89
bigphesta
Banned

Quote:
Besides... maybe the half dressed redheads don't want to see you.
No, but the naked redhead in my bed likes to see me.
bigphesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:39 AM   #90
twins15
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by LivnLegend
Prepon is the complete opposite of hot.
You are right. She is the opposite of Sue Bird.

Bismarck Boy Scouts of the OTBL - league yes-man

Ross Gload at baseball-reference.com

Book Quotes and Book Lists
twins15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 02:09 AM   #91
crackpott
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by twins15
You are right. She is the opposite of Sue Bird.
Thank god.

Your claim however, Legend, is flawed in that the whole character of Donna is supposed to be just a "girl-next-door" type. Jackie is the one who's SUPPOSED to be hot. They ****ed up big.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:31 AM   #92
Modern Relic
All Star Starter

While I'm admittedly not partial to redheads, I think Laura is ok. However, you have GOT to get a better photo of her for your league's front page, crackpott. She's showing some serious birdlegs there.

American Folklore Baseball League (closed): Commissioner/GM - Mudville Nine (ruled!)
Former member of Boys of Summer: GM - St. Louis Browns (doormats!)
Former member of the OTBL: GM - Gashouse Gorillas (also ruled!)

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby
Modern Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:36 PM   #93
crackpott
Hall Of Famer

blah... fine. I'll change it later today.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:41 PM   #94
IatricSB
Hall Of Famer

I think Laura should fire her photographer. Sometimes (but not usually) she looks hot in the 70's show, but most of the pictures and avatars Crackpott puts up look very unflattering. No offense intended Crackpott, just my opinion.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a Ride!"

Chicago(N) - Boys of Summer
Oakland - 20th Century League
Bakersfield - Wild Things
Brooklyn - QBA
Dodge City - NBSL
California - ABC

Dodger's Senioriest fan on the OOTP Boards
IatricSB is offline   Reply With Quote