Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
winningwithstyle
Bat Boy

$40 on OOTP 17 and it does not recognize interleague rivalries (Cubs/Sox) when making a schedule?!

I am the GM of the White Sox in an online league. For the next season, the game has me playing the St Louis Cardinals in a 4 game home and home set that should have been a Cubs/Sox matchup. You'd expect a game that is a $40 buy to have basic features, like a realistic schedule generator, if they proclaim the sim is "an accurate simulation of being a MLB GM" then the Cubs and Sox would be one of the set teams that play every year. C'mon man, EA sports and 2k sports and their ****ty simulations are still able to recognize an interleague rivalry and make sure both those teams play each other at some point during every generated season. This is a text simulation that is only a 1 Gig game stock, that is not confined to limited space on a disc, that doesn't include a basic schedule generator; schedule generators that are available in games 15+ years old. For $40, one should not be satisfied when something as simple as this is overlooked. When will OOTP be updating the game to fix this?
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by winningwithstyle; 10-22-2016 at 03:12 PM.
winningwithstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Nevermind. I misread. Thought your user name was whiningwithstyle. Pardon me.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
winningwithstyle
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Nevermind. I misread. Thought your user name was whiningwithstyle. Pardon me.
good, now I know I can sell you something that is less efficient than advertised, and you would be happy with it
Old 10-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #4
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by winningwithstyle View Post
When will OOTP be updating the game to fix this?
We won't be. It's something for a future version, maybe OOTP18.

However, it's more than possible for anyone who wants to make sure to have a specific rivalry game scheduled each year to change the schedule manually. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes or so to do.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 10-22-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #5
winningwithstyle
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
We won't be. It's something for a future version, maybe OOTP18.
Thank You. I don't see how it would take a whole re-write of the game code to make interleague rivalries a set matchup. You already have teams playing each other within the division the same amount of times a year. The game has me playing the Cards 4 times instead of the Cubs. All one would have to do it have an extra 4-6 games set for their interleague rival instead of my team playing a different NL Central team every year
Old 10-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #6
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

"basic features?"
The the super schedule generator mod is with all the other schedules if you want that. OOTP doesn't account for crosstown rivalries yet. I'm guessing that this part of the game would be hard to code.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #7
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by winningwithstyle View Post
Thank You. I don't see how it would take a whole re-write of the game code to make interleague rivalries a set matchup. You already have teams playing each other within the division the same amount of times a year. The game has me playing the Cards 4 times instead of the Cubs. All one would have to do it have an extra 4-6 games set for their interleague rival instead of my team playing a different NL Central team every year
It's a good idea for a feature. I hope we can get it in for 18.

I'll definitely make sure to bring it up as we develop 18. In fact, I just brought it up now.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 10-22-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #8
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Also, it's an online league and it is an "accurate simulation of an MLB GM" and not an accurate simulation of an MLB schedule.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

if editing the schedule isn't your thing (certainly isn't something i've tackled before!) you can always request a specific schedule in the Mods/Schedules part of this forum. the guys there are pretty quick and extremely talented.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaus2 View Post
Also, it's an online league and it is an "accurate simulation of an MLB GM" and not an accurate simulation of an MLB schedule.
Fair enough, but he brought up a good idea.

I for one am happy he did so I'm not going to nit-pick the semantics of exactly how he made the request.

We'll take a look at seeing if this is possible for OOTP18.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #11
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Really disappointing to see people attacking the OP. He may have overreacted a bit, but he certainly doesn't deserve the condescending replies he received. We, as a collective community, know better and should be better.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:53 PM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Really disappointing to see people attacking the OP. He may have overreacted a bit, but he certainly doesn't deserve the condescending replies he received. We, as a collective community, know better and should be better.
The sarcastic thread title was completely unnecessary. Everybody could have done better including the OP.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:04 PM   #13
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Style as a Sox fan i dont see it as a big deal. You can find many schedules in the link below. Also changing it is really simple.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3780009

You can also reuse past schedules, or the Commish can.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:08 PM   #14
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
The sarcastic thread title was completely unnecessary. Everybody could have done better including the OP.
And I said as much when I said he overreacted. But the responses he received did not do any good. There's a better way to let someone know their post is either out of line or ill-informed.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:14 PM   #15
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And, sometimes, a newcomer needs to know we don't indulge petulant behavior. Well, most of the time.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:30 PM   #16
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Yes. Thank you!

We're going to have folks post here that are new to the game, new to the series, maybe they're even very young, and they just don't know about proper etiquette, maybe they're used to other sites that are more more aggressive, informal, impersonal whatever.

We really want to make this community welcoming to everyone who buys the game. The OOTP community has gotten a bit of a reputation in places for being insular and aggressive toward folks who criticize our games or express divisive views.

That's not what Markus or Andreas or myself or anyone from OOTPD wants the forums to have a reputations for. No more than any of you guys who love OOTP's games do, I'm sure.

We really appreciate having such good friends who are willing to help defend us where they feel it's needed.

That being said, we want to welcome anyone with an interest in our games. Some new posters are young, or inexperienced in forum etiquette. Some are upset because they're unhappy with one of our games for some reason and don't quite know how to constructively channel that or are just used to buying games from other companies that ignore their complaints and where they have to hit hard to even be heard at all.

That's ok. They'll realize in time that we welcome critiques and criticisms and aren't going to casually dismiss their thoughts and ideas and complaints. But since up until now they may've only dealt with companies that care less than we do, it may take time for them to learn that.

But OOTP really doesn't need to be defended from legitimate (or even illegitimate) criticism. We want to hear from everyone who's bought our games.

If folks are bothering to post complaints and issues, it's actually a good thing. It means they've seen enough in the game to feel it's worth their time and effort to try to contribute and add their take. We want to encourage that, not stifle it.

Obviously there are going to be a few trolls who make issues, but even then if you really think someone's a troll, don't go after them yourselves and start a flame war. Let one of the mods know, or let myself or Andreas know and we'll deal with it if it needs to be dealt with.

Overall, please just try to assume the best of everyone who posts here unless they've proven beyond a doubt, through repeated behavior, that they don't deserve that courtesy. Even if that's clearly the case, just report their post and let us deal with it.

But for 99.9% of the new posters here, please just do your best to make them feel welcome, answer their questions as you're able and to overlook any minor flaws in their approach or tone.

That's what can really help us out and will help OOTP to grow and thrive.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 10-22-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #17
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

PS: Sorry to get all preachy and to write the Great American Novel in a forum post

Old 10-22-2016, 10:59 PM   #18
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
most of the time.
Ohrly?

Old 10-23-2016, 01:25 AM   #19
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

Dunno about this guy but I got this game for 20 bucks

Plays legit baseball now. My OOTP ratings are low.

2022 update: I'm two stars!
TuckerDuckson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:15 AM   #20
andrewv500
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thank you! The game doesn't need anyone here to stand up for it in the manner that many do. It speaks poorly of the community, and the game as well, when people respond with rudeness and insults

I've bought this game every year for over a decade and yet I never feel compelled to contribute because the tone, if there's even any actual activity at all, is consistently ugly and the people who do moderate are usually conspicuous in their absence

People just need to stop acting like this game's white knight, and thank you to those in this thread and elsewhere who actually have the confidence in this game to not lash out like many others do

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Yes. Thank you!

We're going to have folks post here that are new to the game, new to the series, maybe they're even very young, and they just don't know about proper etiquette, maybe they're used to other sites that are more more aggressive, informal, impersonal whatever.

We really want to make this community welcoming to everyone who buys the game. The OOTP community has gotten a bit of a reputation in places for being insular and aggressive toward folks who criticize our games or express divisive views.

That's not what Markus or Andreas or myself or anyone from OOTPD wants the forums to have a reputations for. No more than any of you guys who love OOTP's games do, I'm sure.

We really appreciate having such good friends who are willing to help defend us where they feel it's needed.

That being said, we want to welcome anyone with an interest in our games. Some new posters are young, or inexperienced in forum etiquette. Some are upset because they're unhappy with one of our games for some reason and don't quite know how to constructively channel that or are just used to buying games from other companies that ignore their complaints and where they have to hit hard to even be heard at all.

That's ok. They'll realize in time that we welcome critiques and criticisms and aren't going to casually dismiss their thoughts and ideas and complaints. But since up until now they may've only dealt with companies that care less than we do, it may take time for them to learn that.

But OOTP really doesn't need to be defended from legitimate (or even illegitimate) criticism. We want to hear from everyone who's bought our games.

If folks are bothering to post complaints and issues, it's actually a good thing. It means they've seen enough in the game to feel it's worth their time and effort to try to contribute and add their take. We want to encourage that, not stifle it.

Obviously there are going to be a few trolls who make issues, but even then if you really think someone's a troll, don't go after them yourselves and start a flame war. Let one of the mods know, or let myself or Andreas know and we'll deal with it if it needs to be dealt with.

Overall, please just try to assume the best of everyone who posts here unless they've proven beyond a doubt, through repeated behavior, that they don't deserve that courtesy. Even if that's clearly the case, just report their post and let us deal with it.

But for 99.9% of the new posters here, please just do your best to make them feel welcome, answer their questions as you're able and to overlook any minor flaws in their approach or tone.

That's what can really help us out and will help OOTP to grow and thrive.
andrewv500 is offline   Reply With Quote