Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

10 reasons why OOTP 17 is the best version yet

*Just wanted to make note that I don't work on the game in any aspect. Just wanted to make a fanboy thread since I love this damn series so much! Just had to get that out of the way.

OOTP 16 was the biggest step forward for the franchise yet, with TONS of great additions. This year, while the new announced features didn't initially jump out at you quite like last year, the improvements and additions to the game have proven that this year is the BEST version yet.

If you haven't already purchased it. I recommend you do so ASAP. What the heck are you waiting for?

1. 3D Player movement in the form of pawns

Sure, it's not perfect and there will be some bugs (it is a new feature that is still being tweaked and improved) but this is huge for those who play out games or watch the on-screen 3D game play. Ball flight was a nice addition, but the player movements are an even bigger one. We can now actually watch fielders try to gun down the runner at 3rd who is trying to make his way home. We can see the beautiful double plays in action. Again, not perfect. But a really nice addition.

2. Automatically generated game recaps and headlines (and WPA graphs)

This is a big one. It REALLY adds to the immersion aspect of our leagues. I'm sure they will be improved over time, but for a first time feature, GREAT job. You immediately get a feel for who the biggest impact players were in each game, and I love how the recaps will make a note of a slow start, winning streak, team record etc.. Browsing over the league scores screen you can see a nice bolded game headline that makes note of a walk-off, or big-game performance by a specific player. Now that I have this feature in my fictional league, I wouldn't be able to go back.

3. Improved player creation and development

While not everyone is going to love how this works now, I think it's a wonderful addition and really adds to the excitement of following prospects and the draft. In the past few versions of OOTP, I thought the draft was pretty damn boring and basically all the same after the 1st round. You had a few players who were 4-5 star potentials, and then by round 2 and on you were picking 1 and 2 star potential players. The new system has greatly expanded the number of players that come in with high POTENTIAL. And that's how it should be. Think about it, when teams are picking players in the amateur draft in real life, they feel these players have great potential to perhaps one day play in the Major leagues. If they didn't, they wouldn't draft the players into their organization and spend money working on their skill sets. Some may think that at first glance it will just make leagues overpowered. To that, I say don't worry..that's where OOTP's development engine kicks in. Sure, these players may come into the league with big potential, but keep in mind only a small percentage of them will actually live up to that potential..just like in real life. I've seen top 10 picks who look like sure-fire stars, drop significantly in potential after 2-3 seasons. The reason for this is because the scouts now have a more accurate reading of their true potential (again, just like in real-life). On the other hand, with Talent Change Randomess on, you'll still see late round bums turn into serviceable major leaguers and even stars. The wonders of the development engine!

4. Addition of real affiliated historical minor league's

This was a much-requested feature from the community for years, and thanks to Markus and Spritze (and many others, I'm sure) it's finally a reality. While I'm sure it will take time to get exactly where they want it to be (I assume it had to be a massive project) it really adds to the historical experience for those who like to do historical replays and simulations. Players are now imported at the age they first appeared in the minors rather than when they first appeared in the Majors. So in many cases, a favorite player of yours will get added to your game universe at 18 or 19, rather than say, 23 or 24. That's just an example, but it's pretty neat. And of course with TCR, late round bums can turn into stars. Maybe in your alternate MLB, a Minor leaguer with 28 total career innings back in 1962 turns into a 7x all-star and wins an MVP? Teams, leagues and affiliations also come and go as they did in real life, as well. Great addition to historical!

5. Individualized GM's

Managers received a lot of attention last year with the addition of personalized strategies. This year, it's the GM's turn to receive special treatment. Rather than teams basically being controlled by 1 main AI, each team is now run by a GM with their own style to building franchises. When making moves and bulding their rosters, some may prefer to focus on hitting over pitching, speed over power etc. Some may love to trade (and can be quite aggressive at it) while others aren't much of a fan and prefer to remain much more patient. Some will show great loyalty to their players, while others look at baseball is nothing but a business. Great new feature and a big step in the right direction when it comes to AI and teams being built differently.

6. Historical Exhibition mode

While I admittedly haven't used this much yet, I plan to make my own all-time tournaments soon enough. If you ever wondered how the 1939 Yankees would do in 1970 vs the Orioles team of that season, now you can. Want to replay for favorite all-time World Series? Now you can. Not much else needs to be said. For historical guys, this new mode has to make you all warm and fuzzy inside.

7. Multi-core processor support

On most systems, you'll notice a MUCH improved simulation speed. This is a welcomed addition for those of us who like to sim multiple years to generate league history. Or just for long-term simmers in general. BIG improvement.

8. Questdog's Nameset mod replaces the old default one

In previous versions, I wouldn't dare start a fictional universe without it. Much more realistic names are generated for players now, and QD's name database is massive compared to the default one so it gives off a huge number of different possibilities for names that wouldn't have been possible before. So the fact that it has replaced the old default one is fantastic news and something that many of us had been requesting for awhile. As silly as it sounds, I would even stay away from playing the MLB QS because it wouldn't get along well with QD's set. With this version, that has obviously changed and I couldn't be happier. Kudos to QD and of course Markus for making this happen.

9. Players can now request and receive opt-out clauses in contract negotiations

Yes, we had player and team options before. But player opt-outs have now been added to the game. Players are receiving them in real life so it's a nice addition to be able to use them in our leagues as well. I've seen aces sign massive 7 year contracts with the ability to opt-out of it after 2 years. Maybe in 2 years time the team they signed with isn't performing as well as the player had originally envisioned when signing the contract? He can opt out and if his numbers backed it up, maybe he signs a new deal with a different club for an even larger AAV? Cool addition to contracts!

10. Expanded/improved league specific text "hint" items during simulations

One of my favorite underappreciated features in OOTP has been improved even more so this year. It really helps bring my fictional league's history alive and adds to the immersion for fictional players. To use some examples..while simulating, OOTP let me know who won the AL MVP back in 1975 in my fictional league. They even included his slash line from that season. They also let me know how one of the 30 teams in my league did back in 1992, including their record that season along with the clubs top newcomer from that year, slash line included once again. Or they'll do a spotlight on a specific player in my league's history and include his career accolades along with mentioning that he was inducted into the HOF. With text items like this while you're waiting for the game to simulate, how can you not feel like your league is a real living breathing one with real players? I love it.

Anyways, sorry if there's any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors. Wrote it up quick. Just felt like expressing my love for this great game. Sometimes I think we take for granted just how lucky we are to have this great game series in our lives!
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Nicely done!
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Nicely done!
Thanks Wolf!

I hope everyone else is enjoying OOTP 17!
Old 04-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #4
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

I also forgot to mention another great feature that's underappreciated: Pressing f12 on your keyboard and the game stores a photo in the new "screenshots" folder.

Much easier now to take and store screenshots. In the past, I'd use the "print page" feature on my keyboard and then have to crop it and save it using Microsoft Paint then transfer it to my own created folder. So while it wasn't a huge process before, it's definitely quicker and easier now. Kudos to whoever thought of that!
Old 04-10-2016, 12:13 AM   #5
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

" The new system has greatly expanded the number of players that come in with high POTENTIAL. And that's how it should be. Think about it, when teams are picking players in the amateur draft in real life, they feel these players have great potential to perhaps one day play in the Major leagues."

Great post but this is where I completely disagree. The new system is terribly unrealistic. It does not align with how Scouts and GMs view a draft. No GM thinks he's drafting blue chip talent in the second or third round. Sure they think that the player has a realistic chance of making it, but that's very different than believing they have 5 star potential.

I recognize that Markus will not make everyone happy so I'm fine with the changes. People wanted the draft to be more entertaining with the misconception that it's more realistic. It's certainly more entertaining, but it's definitely not more realistic.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:44 AM   #6
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
I recognize that Markus will not make everyone happy so I'm fine with the changes. People wanted the draft to be more entertaining with the misconception that it's more realistic. It's certainly more entertaining, but it's definitely not more realistic.
Yes I totally agree with this, but as you mention, there's no way to make everyone happy on this issue. Markus felt, and I agree fwiw, that making the changes that were made make more people happy and thus were better for the overall health of the game than the more realistic but less popular (fun) system from the last couple versions.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:12 AM   #7
Go Middies
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
" The new system has greatly expanded the number of players that come in with high POTENTIAL. And that's how it should be. Think about it, when teams are picking players in the amateur draft in real life, they feel these players have great potential to perhaps one day play in the Major leagues."

Great post but this is where I completely disagree. The new system is terribly unrealistic. It does not align with how Scouts and GMs view a draft. No GM thinks he's drafting blue chip talent in the second or third round. Sure they think that the player has a realistic chance of making it, but that's very different than believing they have 5 star potential.

Boston routinely seems to think they draft star talent in any round. I present their 2011 draft as an example. Or Anthopolous before his exit from Toronto. Just listen to them when speaking of their later rounders.
Go Middies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:53 AM   #8
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Middies View Post
Boston routinely seems to think they draft star talent in any round. I present their 2011 draft as an example. Or Anthopolous before his exit from Toronto. Just listen to them when speaking of their later rounders.
Yes, but this is just propaganda.

Boston are the masters at over-hyping their prospects, been doing it for years and Anthopolous no longer has a GM job in part because he couldn't build much of a farm system.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:28 AM   #9
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

I agree... I just looked at the top 100 prospects. The top 2 have a FV (potential) of 70, the rest fall into place. Some teams have no prospects above a 45 (slightly below average). Most MLB players fall into the 35-65 range. 50 is an average everyday player (which is actually great considering).
NotMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #10
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post

Boston are the masters at over-hyping their prospects, been doing it for years and Anthopolous no longer has a GM job in part because he couldn't build much of a farm system.
Agreed the Blue Jays will being going all in again this year if they even have a sniff in July. Although Anthopolus, or his scouts, seemed to be able to find pitchers to use a chips in the trading games.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #11
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

I can definitely see what you guys are saying. But at the same time I can see why Markus made the change and I'm personally enjoying it.

I guess what I was trying to say was that it now better represents how teams and fans initially view these prospects and hype them up pretty good. I know GM's don't believe that every prospect they select is a blue chipper, but they certainly don't view them as "1 star potential" players either. So while maybe not realistic to expect 30 5-star potential prospects to be drafted each year, it has definitely made the prospect system more fun in this game. And I think that's what Markus was going for. And remember that once the development engine kicks in, thing fall back into place. It's not as if all these guys will enter your league as 5-star guys. Only a select few of them will. In that sense it's just like real life. So it's not as if this has an actual affect on development, really. Players just come in initially with higher potential, that's it.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #12
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I can definitely see what you guys are saying. But at the same time I can see why Markus made the change and I'm personally enjoying it.

I guess what I was trying to say was that it now better represents how teams and fans initially view these prospects and hype them up pretty good. I know GM's don't believe that every prospect they select is a blue chipper, but they certainly don't view them as "1 star potential" players either. So while maybe not realistic to expect 30 5-star potential prospects to be drafted each year, it has definitely made the prospect system more fun in this game. And I think that's what Markus was going for. And remember that once the development engine kicks in, thing fall back into place. It's not as if all these guys will enter your league as 5-star guys. Only a select few of them will. In that sense it's just like real life. So it's not as if this has an actual affect on development, really. Players just come in initially with higher potential, that's it.
Oh I completely understand why they made the changes. People like to draft players with 5 stars. But it's not realistic. Speaking of stars, there's plenty of serviceable guys that only have 1 or 2 stars. You want the most realistic way to draft? Play 16 without an overall rating. I think the stars warp people's view.

But like I said, I'm completely fine with the changes. I'll adjust my style of play. It is just a game and sometimes the most realistic isn't the most fun.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet

Last edited by jpeters1734; 04-10-2016 at 11:08 AM.
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #13
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Again, of all the things I could care less about when it comes to mrs to customization, this is an area where I feel it really should exist...I do not want to be drafting 4 or 5 star players in the 4th round.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #14
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not to make this an AA thread but...

Actually we had a pretty good farm system....and then traded off our blue chips for overpriced vets (Dickey, Reyes, Beurhele, Johnson). Ces't la vie, it got us Tulo so that's a plus. The lone plus. No word on the street is he left due to disagreements with his new role under the new regime that came in during the off-season.

Back to the topic of this thread...

3D Player movement in the form of pawns....does anyone have like a video or something of this? I'd be interested to see how this actually works.

PT22

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #15
Funkasaurus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Oh I completely understand why they made the changes. People like to draft players with 5 stars. But it's not realistic. Speaking of stars, there's plenty of serviceable guys that only have 1 or 2 stars. You want the most realistic way to draft? Play 16 without an overall rating.
That's how I've been playing 16 and I love it. The star ratings aren't worthless but they paint with a far too broad brush. Without them I find myself diving deeper to find, say, a raw SP with only two pitches who could be pretty good if he adds a third offering. A guy like that, late round pick a few years back, added a sinker , got a velo bump and now looks like a #4 starter. Not bad for a 10th rounder who sat around 90 with only two pitches in high school.
Funkasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #16
baseballfanmas
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I also forgot to mention another great feature that's underappreciated: Pressing f12 on your keyboard and the game stores a photo in the new "screenshots" folder.

Much easier now to take and store screenshots. In the past, I'd use the "print page" feature on my keyboard and then have to crop it and save it using Microsoft Paint then transfer it to my own created folder. So while it wasn't a huge process before, it's definitely quicker and easier now. Kudos to whoever thought of that!
Whoa! I didn't know about that feature. That's cool, since I incorporate screenshots into my dynasty report, it would be great to know exactly how to use that feature. I've always done the print page, Microsoft paint routine myself. This game definitely is awesome.
baseballfanmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #17
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfanmas View Post
Whoa! I didn't know about that feature. That's cool, since I incorporate screenshots into my dynasty report, it would be great to know exactly how to use that feature. I've always done the print page, Microsoft paint routine myself. This game definitely is awesome.
It's a very simple process now. Press f12 on your keyboard and OOTP stores the picture in a "screenshots" folder where the rest of your OOTP folders are. It's great.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #18
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

Quote:

I have to take issue with that statement.

Boston: I seriously dislike the Red Sox but their top positional prospects are far from overhyped.....Bogaerts is already one of the smartest hitters in baseball, Betts is the real deal, Shaw looks like a keeper and Swihart is one of the better hitting prospects/young MLB catchers.

Toronto:
1. Anthopoulos was not fired. He was offered an extension and refused.

2. He rebuilt the Jays system quite impressively and turned it over...you can question the trades but questioning the young talent acquired during his time as GM? Not sure I buy that:

Aaron Sanchez, Marcus Stroman, Roberto Osuna, Noah Syndergaard, Daniel Norris, Kendall Graveman, Jeff Hoffman, Miguel Castro....the pitching list goes on

Kevin Pillar, Anthony Alford, Dalton Pompey....not as good on the positional side but not bare either
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #19
delv213
Bat Boy

Quote:

Anthopolous built a well farm system, but he routinely traded the stud prospects in that farm for people like Tulowitzki, Reyes, Buehrle, Dickey ect.
delv213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #20
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Which is a legitimate use for prospects.

Sometimes it is the best use for prospects.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote