Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 03-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
BlackIce
All Star Reserve

FHM2 Online Leagues ?

Hello folks,

With FHM2 scheduled to be coming out within the next few months I'm wondering if anyone has any plans on creating they're own league and recruiting GM's for the NHL teams ?

I'm tossing around the idea of running my own league but I don't know exactly how big the data files will be from the GM's savefiles. Are they going to be small enough that everyone can email it to a designated email address ? or does a person need to host a site to download from ?

As a commissioner can I sim game to game and then *mass* send the savefile thru email to all of the GM's email accounts for them to add into they're game ?

Other questions are how many games are usually simmed in a week ? Do the former league commissioners sim game to game which is more work but feel's more realistic ?

Would it be wise to implement a trading rule that allows only so many trades throughout the season or perhaps a small transactions committee as some GM's end of mutilating the team and qutting moving it into the stone age and a new human GM must try to fix they're horrible decisions ?

How would alot of folks prefer draft day ? Using a ventrilo source and drafting the first round or two ? all seven rounds ? or simply sending in a list of top 3-5 for each round and if the GM isn't present or lacks information the best overall player is drafted to they're team at the time ?
BlackIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
drewst18
Minors (Double A)

I will wait to see how reliable and how fun the game is but I am very excited for the potential of online leagues.

There is currently a very small community about 50 GMs who still play EHM online with I think 4 active leagues right now, we were very hopeful that FHM was going to bring us into a new hockey sim but the game on top of not having online wasn't really fun enough.

Hopefully version 2 is vastly improved and if so look for some pretty good online leagues to form.

Our typical leagues run 4 in game days to 1 real life day (usually 2 days per sim) but we also do live sims where you watch your team. We would likely look to maybe 5 or even 7 game days to 1 real life day.

It is up to the commish as to trading rules. There are lots of options, it will depend on the player base. The more players you have the more vast your rules can be, but if you only have say 40 people willing to play online you need less rules to not push people away. Some rules we have established is you must keep 3 of your 5 1sts to prevent you from trading firsts and quitting. But there are numerous options.

We do drafts on Skype in a skype in afternoon usually a Sunday, those who can't attend send a list.

There are some fantastic possibilities for a league through FHM. You can do a traditional NHL League, a full CHL league, a league where everyone starts as a lower team and tries to make NHL. But before we get to that point definitely need to have a better game. If you have any interest in finding more how our leagues run to maybe play it or to compare to how you want to run a league PM me.

Last edited by drewst18; 03-16-2015 at 09:36 AM.
drewst18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Duranium
All Star Starter

Still wondering if the online mode is something in the mold of the classic FHL Sim. I ran a retro league approx. 10 years ago and there were 100´s of leagues around covering all variations (fantasy, retro, real-life).

HOFHL - leading your team through the decades........

The good old times...hehe....had such a blast

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:16 PM   #4
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
Still wondering if the online mode is something in the mold of the classic FHL Sim. I ran a retro league approx. 10 years ago and there were 100´s of leagues around covering all variations (fantasy, retro, real-life).

HOFHL - leading your team through the decades........

The good old times...hehe....had such a blast
I remember having FHL myself but never used it. Instead started a OOTP (3) Online League and the rest is history.

So I can't really compare the FHM Online League mode with FHL.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:59 PM   #5
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIce View Post

I'm tossing around the idea of running my own league but I don't know exactly how big the data files will be from the GM's savefiles. Are they going to be small enough that everyone can email it to a designated email address ? or does a person need to host a site to download from ?

As a commissioner can I sim game to game and then *mass* send the savefile thru email to all of the GM's email accounts for them to add into they're game ?
You won't need to email files around to make an online league work. The function is all handled in game, where users download the latest league file using FTP server in the game, then export their file to the FTP server. The commisioner then just imports all the team exports into the main file and simulates forward - then you repeat the process (download league file, export your changes, commish imports, sims).

That's the general scope of how an online league operates.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
grindline
Minors (Single A)

I have to say I'm very excited by the prospect of online leagues. The biggest of my disappointments with the first game was the lack of online play. As a lifelong Football Manager gamer who has never tried online play due to the time requirements for that game, I think the model of file sharing that FHM willing implement like OOTP seems perfect for me.
grindline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:56 AM   #7
Hank1974
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindline View Post
I have to say I'm very excited by the prospect of online leagues. The biggest of my disappointments with the first game was the lack of online play. As a lifelong Football Manager gamer who has never tried online play due to the time requirements for that game, I think the model of file sharing that FHM willing implement like OOTP seems perfect for me.
Same here.
I'm in an OOTP league and it's a great time.
I'm really looking forward to potentially enjoying the equivalent with a hockey sim.
Hank1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
Rizzo
Minors (Triple A)

I'm not a hockey fan at all and probably would struggle running a team but the fact that there are online leagues may get me to cave in and buy it.
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
BlackIce
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cole. View Post
You won't need to email files around to make an online league work. The function is all handled in game, where users download the latest league file using FTP server in the game, then export their file to the FTP server. The commisioner then just imports all the team exports into the main file and simulates forward - then you repeat the process (download league file, export your changes, commish imports, sims).

That's the general scope of how an online league operates.
Thanks Drew for the info, I may just hit you up down the road with questions as I'm getting pretty serious here on running my own show and eventually having a small list of rule set's for people to have to obey as a GM. Cole... So in a nutshell, GM's connect straight to a server that OOTP has where I the commish would upload the results and the GM's (users) would export into the game viewing they're progress and making all the changes they desire then sending it away to the server again where I would then download the file letting me simulate the amount of games and whatnot when I'm finished sending it to this server again , rinse and repeat ? If the OOTP folks do not have a server for this how do blue heck do I go abouts using a safe and reliable site to host these files ? I'm not the most computer savy I'll be honest haha!

Last edited by BlackIce; 03-19-2015 at 06:25 PM.
BlackIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:13 PM   #10
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIce View Post
Thanks Dew for the info, I may just hit you up down the road with questions as I'm getting pretty serious here on running my own show and eventually having a small list of rule set's for people to have to obey as a GM. Cole... So in a nutshell, GM's connect straight to a server that OOTP has where I the commish would upload the results and the GM's (users) would export into the game viewing they're progress and making all the changes they desire then sending it away to the server again where I would then download the file letting me simulate the amount of games and whatnot when I'm finished sending it to this server again , rinse and repeat ? If the OOTP folks do not have a server for this how do blue heck do I go abouts using a safe and reliable site to host these files ? I'm not the most computer savy I'll be honest haha!
You've got the idea. I'm not really an expert on web hosts either, but I'm sure someone could chime in on what a good site is to host an initial league file.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:29 AM   #11
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Just to make it clear: we do not offer any web hosting! You can enter your ftp data to the game and then upload/download team-files inside the game or do it outside with e.g. Filezilla.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #12
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If the OOTP folks do not have a server for this how do blue heck do I go abouts using a safe and reliable site to host these files ? I'm not the most computer savy I'll be honest haha!
You get your own host and site. I can be as simple as installing and configuring a content management system to a custom built site.
There is a guy on here who provides hosting for OOTP sites for a cheap price. He may open it up to FHM when it is available.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #13
drewst18
Minors (Double A)

Would there be any restrictions to number of teams that can play in an online league?

Would you be able to run a system where the CHL and NHL are fully taken up by human GMs or would it be limited to 30?
drewst18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:55 AM   #14
bp_
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
You get your own host and site. I can be as simple as installing and configuring a content management system to a custom built site.
There is a guy on here who provides hosting for OOTP sites for a cheap price. He may open it up to FHM when it is available.
I use Fidel's service for my OOTP league. Highly recommended. I assume he'd have no problem hosting hockey leagues. Pretty affordable prices.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #15
DaximusPrimus
Major Leagues

I have used proboards for certain things, each board gets about 8gb worth of upload storage space. I think proboards may be a great way to run an FHM2 online league. As long as the files for the league aren't to large.
DaximusPrimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:31 AM   #16
Cole
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18 View Post
Would there be any restrictions to number of teams that can play in an online league?

Would you be able to run a system where the CHL and NHL are fully taken up by human GMs or would it be limited to 30?
The league creation structures for online would be the same as the regular game (so you couldn't have a 100-team single league online league, for example).

As for your second point, I can't say for sure, but I do believe you would be able to have human users fill out as many teams within the game world as you want.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #17
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

As for your second point, I can't say for sure, but I do believe you would be able to have human users fill out as many teams within the game world as you want.
Oh please let this be true. So excited about the potential of online play now.
jonnycosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #18
grindline
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I can't say for sure, but I do believe you would be able to have human users fill out as many teams within the game world as you want.
Sounds cool. All I really want is the present day NHL with 30 human GMs.
grindline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #19
checkyoursixx
Minors (Triple A)

Already have a domain checked out at http://majorleaguehockey.net for when FHM2 releases. Used to be a STHS league awhile back.

I have experience with running OOTP as a co-commish so I'm expecting FHM2 to be somewhat similar.

Probably won't be too picky at first with GMs but typically league's I've run in the past all ended up being writing league's where forum participation was mandatory. Hoping to achieve that result again.

Last edited by checkyoursixx; 03-26-2015 at 11:57 AM.
checkyoursixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #20
JDevil
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkyoursixx View Post
Already have a domain checked out at http://majorleaguehockey.net for when FHM2 releases. Used to be a STHS league awhile back.

I have experience with running OOTP as a co-commish so I'm expecting FHM2 to be somewhat similar.

Probably won't be too picky at first with GMs but typically league's I've run in the past all ended up being writing league's where forum participation was mandatory. Hoping to achieve that result again.
When are you taking apps?