Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
Crowbar
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Easy MLB-32 team league expansion?

After half-watching, half-simulating Season 2013, I thought it was a good time to try out an expansion and pick an expansion team to play.

Boston Red Sox won the 2013 world series 4-0 against Detroit Tigers, for anyone curious. Another reason I wanted to change league structure while expanding it to 32 teams was because of the wildcards, which I don't really like at all.

I had everything figured out, I planned the Brooklyn Bombers and the Indianapolis Wildcats. I created the following league structure:

AL East: Boston, New York (Yankees), Toronto, Cleveland
Al Central: Detroit, Chicago (White Sox), Milwaukee, Minnesota
Al West: Los Angeles, Seattle, Oakland, Colorado
AL South: Texas, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, Baltimore

NL East: Philadelphia, New York (Mets), Pittsburg, Brooklyn
AL Central: St. Louis, Cincinnati, Chicago (cubs), Indianapolis
AL West: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Arizona, San Diego
AL South: Washington, Atlanta, Miami, Houston

Now, I guess some divisions look slightly off in their geography perhaps. I was OK with it mostly, but then the hard part came and I lost orientation and in the long run gave up.

The game automatically creates AAA,AA,etc. But they are all over the place, and I have to manually edit every league up to the rookies to make sense, renaming and replacing everything. I gave up because I couldn't see the forest for the trees. Another point I failed horribly in was I forgot about the Indianapolis Indians and the Brookyln Cyclones, it doesn't make any sense having them part of another organisation while also having MLB Brooklyn and Indianapolis.

I guess I have to start over again, scrap Brooklyn and Indianapolis, they don't make any sense. Anyone feel as frustrated as I have with this?

Last edited by Crowbar; 09-17-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Atlanta didn't win, was looking at early playoff section afterwards
Crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Sounds kinda similar to what I did. I put expansion teams in Buffalo and Indianapolis, and moved the AAA Indians and Bisons to Evansville and Tallahassee, respectively.

It's not too difficult to change cities around. I keep true-to-life minor leagues, so I had to make sure to switch them to cities that wouldn't have other minor league clubs any time soon, but other than that, no worries.

Your divisions don't look that bad at all. Baltimore in the South seems a tiny bit off, but since Washington is in the NL South, it's not too far off. I'd keep 'em as is. Make sure to turn historical off, or it'll foul stuff up when you add non-historical expansion teams.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
Crowbar
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSeventiesGuy View Post
Sounds kinda similar to what I did. I put expansion teams in Buffalo and Indianapolis, and moved the AAA Indians and Bisons to Evansville and Tallahassee, respectively.

It's not too difficult to change cities around. I keep true-to-life minor leagues, so I had to make sure to switch them to cities that wouldn't have other minor league clubs any time soon, but other than that, no worries.

Your divisions don't look that bad at all. Baltimore in the South seems a tiny bit off, but since Washington is in the NL South, it's not too far off. I'd keep 'em as is. Make sure to turn historical off, or it'll foul stuff up when you add non-historical expansion teams.
Ok, yeah, I was starting to get confused. I'll try and do as you said, moving the Indians and Bisons. That'll do the trick.

Only thing that remains is all the other leagues below (AA,A,S A, R), did you find it easy to find good places that don't already have a team and could support such a team?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

I'm in the mid-to-late 80s. I put AAA American Association teams in Dayton and Grand Rapids (neither of which will have real-life minor league clubs until around the mid-90s), AA Eastern League teams in Worcester and Poughkeepsie, High A California League teams in Sacramento and Needles, Short-season A Northwest League teams in Ogden and Walla Walla, and Rookie teams in Terre Haute, IN and Bloomington, IL.

If those cities won't work - I know Sacramento and Ogden won't in 2013, since they have real teams now - try Canada. Lots of large cities up there with no teams, or only independent league teams. Or even try Latin American cities like San Juan or Havana or someplace a little bit out there like that. Sometimes I go for "biggest city without a minor league team", others just on a whim or whatever. Or towns that used to have a real-life team, but lost it, like Evansville.

If you're starting in 2013 and working forward, it should be even easier, since you don't have to worry about whether a town will have a minor league team in the future or not. After this year, who knows, unless you're Nostradamus or something.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Nice original post; I'd like to expand to 32 teams also; like your set up 4 divisions per AL/NL and 4 teams in each. Just have to decide on locations!
Hockey13Playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
ShaneCarson
All Star Reserve

How did the Tigers and Red Sox play in the World Series?
ShaneCarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Crowbar
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
If you're starting in 2013 and working forward, it should be even easier, since you don't have to worry about whether a town will have a minor league team in the future or not. After this year, who knows, unless you're Nostradamus or something. ...
Yes, I'm starting in 2013 (quickstart). Thanks for the tips, will work hopefully .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneCarson View Post
How did the Tigers and Red Sox play in the World Series?
Boston dominated their division, Tigers did too, but somehow had a giant off-series (however you call it haha) in the World Series. Losing all 4 games in a row is really awful especially if you just mostly dominated the entire season. I didn't really check in detail, but I think some players lost their hot streak and a couple of injuries, mostly in pitching.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar View Post
Boston dominated their division, Tigers did too, but somehow had a giant off-series (however you call it haha) in the World Series. Losing all 4 games in a row is really awful especially if you just mostly dominated the entire season. I didn't really check in detail, but I think some players lost their hot streak and a couple of injuries, mostly in pitching.
I think he was asking how two American League teams played in the World Series.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
Crowbar
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
I'm in the mid-to-late 80s. I put AAA American Association teams in Dayton and Grand Rapids (neither of which will have real-life minor league clubs until around the mid-90s), AA Eastern League teams in Worcester and Poughkeepsie, High A California League teams in Sacramento and Needles, Short-season A Northwest League teams in Ogden and Walla Walla, and Rookie teams in Terre Haute, IN and Bloomington, IL.

If those cities won't work - I know Sacramento and Ogden won't in 2013, since they have real teams now - try Canada. Lots of large cities up there with no teams, or only independent league teams. Or even try Latin American cities like San Juan or Havana or someplace a little bit out there like that. Sometimes I go for "biggest city without a minor league team", others just on a whim or whatever. Or towns that used to have a real-life team, but lost it, like Evansville.

If you're starting in 2013 and working forward, it should be even easier, since you don't have to worry about whether a town will have a minor league team in the future or not. After this year, who knows, unless you're Nostradamus or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
I changed the league structure/playoff rules once before a little. That's how that was possible .
Old 09-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I moved Toronto to Charlotte and added teams in Portland and Salt Lake City
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Think NL. In another five years or so we could have the Astros vs the Dodgers in the World Series.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar View Post
Only thing that remains is all the other leagues below (AA,A,S A, R), did you find it easy to find good places that don't already have a team and could support such a team?
One way you could do that is to take a look at the real-life cities which currently support independent league ball clubs. Many of these cities once had affiliated minor league clubs which moved elsewhere. Find the independent league clubs with the best attendance, and then claim those cities back for affiliated ball.

Note also there's been a trend in recent years for minor league clubs to be located in the suburbs of major cities.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Liking your structure division and 32 team wise I just put together my realignment idea with two expansions

**Note 1: I'm playing as the New York Mets and plan to relocate them to one of the "3 expansion teams". (So one is really a relocate)

**Note 2: Kansas City Royals become an NL team; Houston Astros become an NL team again (All states/cities with 2 teams have 1 in AL and one in NL); Hartford/Providence (not sure which yet) become expansion team 1 in the AL; Portland becomes expansion team 2 in the AL; New York Mets relocate to New Orleans (As of now).

**Note 3: My only gripe with my set-up as of now is Colorado and Arizona. Want to keep most teams as possible in their respective AL or NL. Arizona is more west and south then Colorado; so where ever they go they at somewhat geographically out of place.

Here's how I'm looking; I'm up for changes but wanted to do 3 cities that were on the top 100 metropolitan list in The United States!

MLB 32 Team Set-up:

American League (AL):

North-
Chicago White Sox
Detroit Tigers
Minnesota Twins
Toronto Blue Jays

South-
Baltimore Orioles
New Orleans _____ (Relocation)
Tampa Bay Rays
Texas Rangers

East-
Boston Red Sox
Cleveland Indians
Hartford/Providence _____ (Expansion)
New York Yankees

West-
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Oakland Athletics
Portland ______ (Expansion)
Seattle Mariners

National League (NL):

North-
Chicago Cubs
Kansas City Royals
Milwaukee Brewers
St. Louis Cardinals

South-
Arizona Diamondbacks
Atlanta Braves
Houston Astros
Miami Marlins

East-
Cincinnati Reds
Philadelphia Phillies
Pittsburgh Pirates
Washington Nationals

West-
Colorado Rockies
Los Angeles Dodgers
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
Old 09-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Think NL. In another five years or so we could have the Astros vs the Dodgers in the World Series.
The Astros already played the White Sox in the World Series.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

" Make sure to turn historical off, or it'll foul stuff up when you add non-historical expansion teams."

I most often play with the current roster set and then add 2 expansion teams at the start of the game. I do not change many settings. Just curious as to what historical messes up? And is it usually "on" as a default setting?
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #16
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

" Make sure to turn historical off, or it'll foul stuff up when you add non-historical expansion teams."

I most often play with the current roster set and then add 2 expansion teams at the start of the game. I do not change many settings. Just curious as to what historical messes up? And is it usually "on" as a default setting?
Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

I was doing an 1884-? season, and after 1884, when I wanted to move some teams around, it screwed up all kinds of stuff...lost whole teams and their rosters, and kept saying teams existed that I'd deleted or moved. So, basically, that season was ruined. I also had it lose the Toronto Blue Jays and re-do them as a new expansion team in '86, when I tried to do an expansion draft for Indy and Buffalo. Thankfully, I was able to move all the "old" Jays onto the "new" Jays, so that season was still okay.

I think that kind of thing's why "turn off historical" is a big thing (I think there was even one guy here who had that in his avatar or sig, wasn't there?), unless you want to do a COMPLETELY historical recap...no franchise moves or expansion unless it happened in real life. Granted, that was on OOTP 11, and it was also before I completely knew what I was doing, so maybe that's not as big an issue with 14. I just keep it off out of habit now. Once bitten, twice shy.

I think it may be okay if you don't plan an expansion draft. If you do, turn it off. I think. Can anybody back me up on this? Like I said, my problems were early on before I knew what I was doing completely, so maybe it was just me!

Last edited by ThatSeventiesGuy; 09-17-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #18
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

So with what was just said ^^^ is this just when playing historical mode?

With my 32 team idea I posted a few posts up I started off present day with 2013 season; just beginning my second season which its now 2014... planned on expanding in most likely 2016.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #19
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

^^^^^

Thanks for the update. I will keep that in mind if I play back in history!

I always play from 2013 and expand from there (you can guess what team I bring back to life!) by two teams to 32 and have never had any issues. I found OOTP '13 significantly improved the expansion function. Maybe the historical stuff was tackled then too?

I used to divide the 32 teams in to four divisions each because I can't stand the wild card. Currently, I have two divisions in each league with the top two qualifying for the play-offs (unbalanced schedule).

Building an expansion team never seems to get old for me and this game tops them all.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
millhousebc
Minors (Double A)

When you expanded to 32 teams, how did you stock the minor leagues for those teams. Auto-fill seems to give those teams a bunch of scrubs. I know Houston is operating with a 12-15 million payroll, but I also find that when you do an expansion draft, the expansion teams select alot of players not ready for the majors. Do your teams go 18-150, or do you bump them up a bit?
I have tried this in the past and notice that it throws the stats out of wack when teams beat up on the expansion teams.
millhousebc is offline   Reply With Quote