Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
SteveV
Minors (Single A)

Scout Ratings?

Ok, I understand the Scout function can't be 100 percent accurate because thats not how the real world works but why is there such a huge discrepancy between my scouting directors ratings and OSA? I just completed the inaugural draft for a fictional league and use the traditional 20-80 scout scale. My scouting director is only 'OK' for Amateur players so I accept his ratings are going to be maybe 60% at best but I don't know how accurate OSA is supposed to be?

Its farcical, in some cases my guy would rate a hitter as 80 OVR with 80 CON, 65 POW, 75 EYE and OSA would have tham as 40 CON, 45 POW, 40 EYE. I don't even trust the written report because it must be based on the Scouts misleading ratings so how am I supposed to know who's actually any good?

Actually, about ten percent of the players I have looked at have very similar ratings between the two..Is this a hint that these guys have been scouted accurately and you can rely on their numbers?
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
oman19
All Star Starter

From the manual.

"In OOTP, in addition to individual team scouting directors, there also exists an unbiased scouting agency known as the OOTP Scouting Association (OSA). OSA scouts players on a regular basis, and can provide a second data point for you in analyzing scouting reports. Even if you fire your scouting director, OSA can still provide you with some data on players. Unfortunately, OSA is woefully understaffed, and as a result, OSA only updates player scouting reports annually. OSA scouts are also woefully underpaid, and as a result, they are rarely as accurate as your own staff. As with all scouting, the younger the player is, the less likely OSA scouting reports are to be accurate. Most scouting directors who are available for hire will provide better information than the OSA scouts do. The bottom line is that you should use your own scouting department's information as a primary source of data."

I really only use the OSA to verify sometimes my own scouts assesment. Like hey this guy has high contact so I'll look at hitting him in the 2 hole and things in that nature.

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html

Last edited by oman19; 05-29-2011 at 02:04 PM.
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
SteveV
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman19 View Post
From the manual.

"In OOTP, in addition to individual team scouting directors, there also exists an unbiased scouting agency known as the OOTP Scouting Association (OSA). OSA scouts players on a regular basis, and can provide a second data point for you in analyzing scouting reports. Even if you fire your scouting director, OSA can still provide you with some data on players. Unfortunately, OSA is woefully understaffed, and as a result, OSA only updates player scouting reports annually. OSA scouts are also woefully underpaid, and as a result, they are rarely as accurate as your own staff. As with all scouting, the younger the player is, the less likely OSA scouting reports are to be accurate. Most scouting directors who are available for hire will provide better information than the OSA scouts do. The bottom line is that you should use your own scouting department's information as a primary source of data."

I really only use the OSA to verify sometimes my own scouts assesment. Like hey this guy has high contact so I'll look at hitting him in the 2 hole and things in that nature.
WOW,why did they even bother putting OSA in the game?
Old 05-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Graeme
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
So you can have SOME basis out there. It mimics real life, you know? Every year, there are tons of scouting agencies that put out things on the sports sites about who's going to be good and bad and all that. If they were super-accurate enough to be competitive, the people doing it would be working for the teams

I know a few people who are in the sporting industry who say that mostly interns do the work for some of these big sports broadcasters with regards to scouting.
Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
SteveV
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
So you can have SOME basis out there. It mimics real life, you know? Every year, there are tons of scouting agencies that put out things on the sports sites about who's going to be good and bad and all that. If they were super-accurate enough to be competitive, the people doing it would be working for the teams

I know a few people who are in the sporting industry who say that mostly interns do the work for some of these big sports broadcasters with regards to scouting.
Yeah, I get that scouting is an inexact science but if i have a half decent Scouting Director why would I even look at the OSA ratings?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
neugey
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
IMO the main benefit of the OSA is so that there is an independent scouting basis for publishing some of the BNN reports, like the Top Prospects, Top Systems, etc. so you can have objective (even if inaccurate) analysis between the different teams in your league.
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote