Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
nedyken
Minors (Single A)

How can I set the game to auto-hire Minor League Staff?

I'm brand new to this game (just purchased it yesterday... which maybe was a dumb idea now that I see OOTP 12 is right around the corner) and slowly getting through my first season. I've played games like this before (usually based on the NBA) and the level of detail is incredible. I am finding some it a little tedious and overwhelming though.

I'm going to rattle off a bunch of somewhat random questions that I'd appreciate getting answers to

I'm towards the end of my first season and I'm getting flooded with emails about managers on my minor league teams leaving because they didn't get contract extensions. I started trying to fill those positions by going to "available personnel" but started having trouble when trying to fill positions for the lowly single A teams, because none of the guys I was targeting were interested in coaching at such a low level.

#1 - Is there a way to sort available personnel based on what level they would accept playing for (MLB, AAA, Single A, etc)?

#2 - Is there a way to change my settings so that the computer will handle signing minor league coaches? I think it's going to be highly tedious dealing with those coaches when ultimately i don't really care who is coaching them.

Kinda a splinter question... I traded for a couple young players who were showing 1 star currently with 5 star potential which leads me to:

#3 - Are those "star ratings" based on my scout's analysis? In other words, if my scout has weak ratings is he potentially giving me wrong information on these prospects I traded for? Maybe they don't actually have 5 star potential?

Which leads me to:

#4 - I immediately put those 1 star current/5 star potential players in the AAA and noticed they were stinking it up at that level. I ran a minor league report that told me they weren't ready for AAA baseball. I figured I could just demote them to a lower league and see if they do better... but again I think managing the minor league teams to this level might get a little tedious. Is there a way to have the game auto manage the minor league rosters and promote/demote as necessary WITHOUT running the risk of the game cutting these prospects I went out of my way to trade for?

THANKS A BUNCH for any help. I realize I'm a n00b and I appreciate your patience. Totally new to this game. Love the detail, but at this point I'm not ready to manage every single aspect down to that level. I'm trying to just sim through a season and it's stopping me every day for one thing or another.

Last edited by nedyken; 05-02-2011 at 09:30 PM.
nedyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Ned welcome to OOTP....I dont understand your 1st ques.

to let the AI sign your coaches including, i believe u have to set the transactions tab to cpu, but that will do players signings also...personally i dont put much weigh into coaches i just let 7 of my minor league coaches go since their contracts were up... I then go in and offer contract to personal with 0 exp who ask for the lowest amount and then sign them, unless i can get my current coach at what i was already paying him.....i also promote from within.

to let the AI deal with player promotions and demotion u will see i use that option.
this game is overwhelming at 1st...just keep asking people question all of us here will answer your questions the best we can.
I am gonna give #1 a try cuz i think i know what u r asking but not sure...from either your pitching menu, batting order or roster u can go to affiliates at the bottom right to see who is at each of your levels.
Attached Images
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
Chicagofan76
Banned

forgot to answer your scouting ques....some scouts will see players differently and even with an excellent scout he doesnt always get it right...click on the drop down menu for your scout and see what OSA says about the player, but they r understaffed (according to ootp manual) and r not always accurate.

have u checked out the online manual?
lots of good info in there

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/documentation/ootp11/
Old 05-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedyken View Post
#2 - Is there a way to change my settings so that the computer will handle signing minor league coaches? I think it's going to be highly tedious dealing with those coaches when ultimately i don't really care who is coaching them.
The only way is to give the AI control over minor league signing/releases, which means everyone, not just coaches. So I recommend doing this only if you want the AI controlling all signings/releases, or only turn this on for a short time if you are having trouble signing coaches. Otherwise there is no simple solution.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
The only way is to give the AI control over minor league signing/releases, which means everyone, not just coaches. So I recommend doing this only if you want the AI controlling all signings/releases, or only turn this on for a short time if you are having trouble signing coaches. Otherwise there is no simple solution.
didnt i already answer that?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
nedyken
Minors (Single A)

The more I get use to navigating through the game interface, the less annoying this has become. I just make a note to check my staff every season and offer extensions for anyone who is due to expire.

Chicago Fan, thanks for the advice in setting the minor league managers to control demotions/promotions/lineups. That's a big help too. I just stick my prospects anywhere and let them figure it out for me.
nedyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:11 AM   #7
tejdog1
All Star Starter

There's a whole hierarchy to the minor leagues, I'm about to go geek, and tell you my philosophies:
*Note: I use a 1-100 scouting scale, it's the most informative

Rookie leagues, generally under age 22, and under 40 contact, unless they have high avoid K/Eye ratings (over 40)
Short-season A, under age 25, under 50 contact
mid A and high A are two seperate levels IRL which the game treats as one. I'm going to use the Mets affiliates in these levels
Savannah (Sally League): Age 24 and below, under 50 contact
St. Lucie (FSL): Age 25 and below, under 60 contact

Double A is usually for players who have mastered the high A level, jumping them from mid-A or lower is not recommended (unless you're Tony Bernazard). Age 26 and below, usually 60+ contact

Triple A is for your advanced prospects most close to the majors, no real age limit/contact limit here, you'd like your prospects to be pretty much at theri potential here. It's a fine tuning level/injury stockpile level.

I promote based on stats, for the most part. There's... a zillion different philosophies on when is the best time to promote prospects, no one is really better then another. There was a thread about this recently, I posted in it, so if you want to see it, just search for posts by me.

Hope this helps.

PS: The AI is dumb, don't let it manage your minors.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote