Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
tugger80
Minors (Rookie Ball)

How important is managing in Spring Training?

Hey guys,

About to go thru my first ever set of Spring Training games with my 2011 MLB team. From what I've read, it's important to get everyone the right amount of ABs/IP to shake off the offseason rust, while also leaving time for the younger players to play to know who might stick with the club when the real season starts.

My question...in order to achieve that, do you usually manage those games yourself, so you can make substitutions manually, or can you trust your manager -- I just hired someone during the offseason -- to be able to do that for you.

I don't want starters pitching very many innings, or regular position players playing a lot, early on at least.

I'd prefer to not have to (micro) manage every single spring training game...but is that the only way to really feel safe that the young players get enough playing time, and that the veterans get just enough to be useful without risking too much injury?

Thanks!
tugger80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

FWIW I play out all my teams games during the season so I quite enjoy Spring Training, giving my hitting prospects AB against the better pitchers and starting my pitching prospects against the stronger line-ups. My minor league seasons start before the end of Spring Training so I send some players down early. Needless to say, my OOTP universe progresses at a fairly stately pace!
Looking at the AI teams during this seasons Spring Training I notice that it mostly starts 4 SP in rotation (I have a fictional deadball era set-up) but each only pitches 3/4/5 innings so relievers are often pitching on three or four consecutive days and on a lot of teams some position players have had no AB after 10/11 games whereas expected regulars have had 25/30 AB.
Simmo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
For me it depends on which league I am playing, but as a general rule I play out the 1st 10 and the last 4.....I use the 1st 10 to see what some of the players that r battling for roster spots can do. I use the next 10 games, whether i sim or play them, to shake rust of of starters, and I use the final 4 games to start doing my cuts. Final ST game is 99.9% opening day roster.

I also always use a 6 man rotation (if league is already 5) and since I play out the 1st 2 times thru the rotation I keep every SP on a strict pitch count. 1st time its 50, 2nd its 60 3rd its 75 4th 100.

and I also tend to keep a pitch count the 1st time thru a rotation to start a yr 100-110.

For my depth chart is ST I use the backup spots usually every 3rd game. so I have 3 C's the Starter plays game 1 backup plays game 3 3rd string plays game 5. or something like that.
Plus I have a strict 0-3 rule in ST (also in Sept if not battling for playoffs up or down) that if u go 0-3 u come out in favor on the guy with the fewest AB's (of course I try to make sure I dont put an OF at C)
I also try to have any player that can not play at least 2 positions learn another 1 even if its only 1B.
It also depends on my league, the yr and the basic setup.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
tugger80
Minors (Rookie Ball)

thanks for the input guys. sounds like it's best to manage games manually to ensure players get the types of reps you want.

fair enough. i've really enjoyed the offseason.
tugger80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
tigey75
Major Leagues

Tugger, I have noticed that when I check the box scores of spring training games, the AI does seem to do just what you're hoping for. I have witnessed them take my starter out after 3 innings most of the time, plus you can set your depth chart for all players before simming.
tigey75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I set my lineups a couple of times throughout ST. I might slot in a young starter 2-3 times, but I sim 'em all and everybody does fine.

I don't think there is a "best" way to do this.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
Knuckster
Minors (Single A)

how much playing time is "SOME"

Yeah, but how much Spring Training action is needed to "knock off' the off-season rust? And if a player does not get that amount of Spring Training action, does the rust stay on all season long?

The manual's word that players should "get at least some" playing time in ST is absolutely no help whatsoever.

Does that mean 10 at bats, 20, 30, 50 IP?

5 IP? 10, 20 IP?

Or is it a function of games appeared in ST?

Quote:
Rust

Each player in OOTP has a certain amount of 'rust' after an offseason. For each at-bat or inning pitched during Spring Training, a player shakes off some of that rust. Therefore, it is important to make sure all your key players get at least some playing time during Spring Training, because rusty players won't perform well.
Knuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckster View Post
Yeah, but how much Spring Training action is needed to "knock off' the off-season rust? And if a player does not get that amount of Spring Training action, does the rust stay on all season long?

The manual's word that players should "get at least some" playing time in ST is absolutely no help whatsoever.

Does that mean 10 at bats, 20, 30, 50 IP?

5 IP? 10, 20 IP?

Or is it a function of games appeared in ST?
If you have aplayer in the starting lineup and you sim the entire ST he sees roughly 20 AB's 10IP (non SP)
If he is the 3rd player listed or not listed or is the mopup guy he usually gets under 5 AB's or less than 5IP.
For these players, I know they wont be on my OD Roster, so their rust will come off in the minors.
Even when i sim ST i try to only sim 5 days at a time so i can check for misc injuries and to move players who are surprising me into a platoon/rotation.
And who's to say that the rust isn't still there after 400+ AB's (Adam Dunn)
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote