Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
sharkmgs
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Team Strategy Help

Hello. I'm in an online league with OOTP X and am having trouble figuring out Team Strategy generally and pitch counts/hook specifically for pitchers. We don't have managers and, therefore, the "Action" menu only has the option of "reset strategy." Is there any tutorials or rules of thumb that I can use to try and set my strategies to get the most out of my team. More specifically, when trying to set pitch counts is there some kind of general rule about the outer limits of stamina. For example, does a 60 stamina SP (w/1-100) start to wear down around say pitch 100 while a 90 might start to wear down around 110+. Any help would be appreciated. Especially since my team sucks this year.
sharkmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkmgs View Post
Hello. I'm in an online league with OOTP X and am having trouble figuring out Team Strategy generally and pitch counts/hook specifically for pitchers. We don't have managers and, therefore, the "Action" menu only has the option of "reset strategy." Is there any tutorials or rules of thumb that I can use to try and set my strategies to get the most out of my team. More specifically, when trying to set pitch counts is there some kind of general rule about the outer limits of stamina. For example, does a 60 stamina SP (w/1-100) start to wear down around say pitch 100 while a 90 might start to wear down around 110+. Any help would be appreciated. Especially since my team sucks this year.
I'm not entirely sure what you need to know, so I'll give you a couple of pointers:

1. Pitchers begin losing effectiveness at about 90% of whatever is their ultimate pitch count in the game (i.e., the point at which they become "tiring"). That point can vary based on their condition when they start the game.

2. The "Hooking pitchers" slider is based on runs given up, not fatigue. In general terms this is one of the easier sliders to gauge. But what you want to do depends on what you think you are seeing, and what your preferences are.

Hope that helps.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1) I would start with your league rules to see what settings you are working with.
These are ours:
Use of Relievers- Very Often
Use of Closers- Very Often
Pitcher Endurance- Low
Typical Rotation Size- 5 Man Rotation
Pinch Hit for Pitchers- Very Often

2) With a Low setting for endurance I set a starter with 65+ stamina to 100 pitches. I max my starters out at 115 for the regular season. I do not care about complete games, I care about post season health and effectiveness. I also try to be pitching heavy. I always want 3 number 1 pitchers in my rotation, I sacrifice offense to this agenda.
3) I set a slow hook. I would rather they hang themselves than have me nueter them. I check all my ML pitchers once a month to see if I want to change something. Rookies and 2nd year guys I will do a quicker hook. I do not want them getting shelled more than they already do.
4) I also will take a good look at the competition to see if my guys are performing poorly or are running into beast offenses. I have found having one of the least talented teams makes the best teams that much better. Sounds wierd but in a 20 team league there is only so much talent and sometimes it gets very top heavy. A middle of the pack, near .500 team can get creamed by juggernaughts. Kinda like the AL East.

Just a few thoughts.
Good luck,
LP
Old 04-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
sharkmgs
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis Christ View Post
1) I would start with your league rules to see what settings you are working with.
These are ours:
Use of Relievers- Very Often
Use of Closers- Very Often
Pitcher Endurance- Low
Typical Rotation Size- 5 Man Rotation
Pinch Hit for Pitchers- Very Often

2) With a Low setting for endurance I set a starter with 65+ stamina to 100 pitches. I max my starters out at 115 for the regular season. I do not care about complete games, I care about post season health and effectiveness. I also try to be pitching heavy. I always want 3 number 1 pitchers in my rotation, I sacrifice offense to this agenda.
3) I set a slow hook. I would rather they hang themselves than have me nueter them. I check all my ML pitchers once a month to see if I want to change something. Rookies and 2nd year guys I will do a quicker hook. I do not want them getting shelled more than they already do.
4) I also will take a good look at the competition to see if my guys are performing poorly or are running into beast offenses. I have found having one of the least talented teams makes the best teams that much better. Sounds wierd but in a 20 team league there is only so much talent and sometimes it gets very top heavy. A middle of the pack, near .500 team can get creamed by juggernaughts. Kinda like the AL East.

Just a few thoughts.
Good luck,
LP
Thanks. After looking more closely at some of my SP games, it looks like limiting the pitch count is where its at. Do you have any thoughts about setting pitch counts for relievers? Or should I just err on the side of putting quick hook to the 2nd or 3rd setting?
sharkmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:52 AM   #5
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks. After looking more closely at some of my SP games, it looks like limiting the pitch count is where its at. Do you have any thoughts about setting pitch counts for relievers? Or should I just err on the side of putting quick hook to the 2nd or 3rd setting?
I stick with 25-35 unless they have a VERY low stamina. I want my Pen recovering quickly. I do not want a 50 pitch MR even if they have a 60 stamina and only 2 pitches. I have had players with single digit stamina, I will set them at 10-15 depending on the rest of the pen.
My relief philosophy, I use the term loosely, is to get the most innings to my top 2nd and 3rd best relievers. I place my second best in the #1 MR slot and 3rd as the 1st setup man. I shoot for 120-150 IP from my top MR and 60-100 from my setup. I know these are wide margins but if my SPs are exceptional instead of good then the IP from the pen goes down.
For my closer I just set his pitch count and let the AI do it's thing.
I never have a spot starter.
My mop up guy usually doubles as my 4th MR.
I usually carry 12 pitchers.
I set slow hooks with veterans. I'm a hangman myself. I am also slow to make changes to the staff once I set it up. Rarely more than once a month. Some one has to blow it a few times before I start yanking chains.

Hope this helps. If your settings are different it will have a huge effect.
Good luck,
LP

Last edited by TGH-Adfabre; 04-01-2010 at 02:54 AM.
TGH-Adfabre is offline   Reply With Quote