Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #1
MightyQuinn
Minors (Double A)

25 Man active / 40 Man roster

I just bought ootpx and am in five leagues, one I am running with a friend. I never followed the behind the scenes of baseball, waivers, acitve, 40 man, dfa, etc...

Now I would like someone to help me understand the 25 man active roster and 40 man.

From what I know, 25 active is the ML team, 40 man is all players with ML contracts ???

But one problem I have is when I want to move someone up I have to make space and dont really want to get rid of the player.

Now I know when someone is injured on active and is placed on 60 day they are taken off active/40 man which makes room.

So how can I move players around without losing them ???
MightyQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

To make room on your 40-man roster, you have to expose them to waivers. This means every other team has the opportunity to claim the player. However, if nobody claims him, you can remove the player from your 40-man roster, send him to the minors, and still keep him in your organization.

To make room immediately, you can designate the player for assignment. This basically gives you a certain period of time to either waive the player or trade the player while not taking room on the 40-man roster. In MLB, this period is 10 days. In OOTP, there is a command to 'waive and designate for assignment' that takes care of this. It is commonly done in tandem.

Make your additions to the 40-man roster carefully, because once you do it, you risk losing the player if you change your mind.

Last edited by TribeFanInNC; 08-18-2009 at 03:14 PM.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Big T
Hall Of Famer

Good answer above..

I think the key statement, is select who you place on the 40 man roster carefully, it does not always have to be at 40 thus, if you are unsure who you want to add, and they will not be exposed to the "Rule 5 Draft", you can keep the list at under 40 and add when you need to.

I often carry my 40 man at about 35-37 players and only decide to add a player just before the Rule 5 draft to protect him if I see him as someone that will eventually make my MLB club. Quite often you will see guys at AA and A that are up for Rule 5, but rarely will another team take them so you would be wasting a spot on the 40 man roster for them just to protect them.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
MightyQuinn
Minors (Double A)

Where can I get more info on the rule 5 draft ???
MightyQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
ACESFAN 1
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyQuinn View Post
Where can I get more info on the rule 5 draft ???
On Google and other search engines. I found this on Wilipedia:

"The Rule 5 draft is a Major League Baseball player draft that occurs each year in December, at the annual Winter Meeting of general managers. The Rule 5 draft aims to prevent teams from stockpiling too many young players on their minor league affiliate teams when other teams would be willing to have them play in the majors. The Rule 5 Draft is named for its place in the Major League rules. The June Rule 4 draft, known as simply "the draft" or the "amateur draft", is a distinctly different process in which teams select high school and college players"

And there is a lot info on GOOGLE.
ACESFAN 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
Big T
Hall Of Famer

The online manual discribes the Rule 5 draft pretty well as well as the "news message" you will get on the day of the draft.. (usually December 1st)

Basically its designed to ensure that players with 4-5 years professional experience (basically since draft and depends on they age they were drafted at) aren't stuck in an organization that has yet to promote them to the 40 man roster whereas another organization feels they could use them.

On your Transaction page, players marked with an "#" are eligible for the Rule 5 draft and you could lose them without compensation unless you protect them on the 40 man roster. You need to pick and choose carefully as not all players are worthy of putting on your 40 man roster, nor will someone else want them. The Rule 5 was put in place to ensure that organizations were not hiding talent in the lower leaques that could help out other teams MLB teams.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

To clarify one point from the OP. A player can be on the 40 man roster and not have a major league contract. However in reverse, if a player has a major league contract, they must be on the 40 man roster.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

And one thing to be careful about the rule 5 draft, if you trade for someone shortly before, make sure you bring them up to your team before the rule 5 draft. I made a huge deal the day before the draft, got me a 3B with good D who was like 12 contact 20 power (on a 1-20 scale), then start the rule 5 draft and see, "Ramon Jean has been drafted by XXX." Umm, crap. Thank God for Commisioner mode.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
Afino
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
To clarify one point from the OP. A player can be on the 40 man roster and not have a major league contract. However in reverse, if a player has a major league contract, they must be on the 40 man roster.
Although there is a bug if you force a trade or manually assign a player to a team, you can bypass the whole 40-man roster completely....so the guy is on the 25-man but not on the 40-man....

That's always fun....

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
Corked Batty
Bat Boy

Can anyone tell me when the 40 man roster empties for the upcoming season? I just finished my first season. I’m now in “offseason” and there are players on my 40 man roster that I really don’t want there. I’m assuming that at some point during the offseason anyone who is not on the 25 man roster will disappear from the 40. True?
Corked Batty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corked Batty View Post
Can anyone tell me when the 40 man roster empties for the upcoming season? I just finished my first season. I’m now in “offseason” and there are players on my 40 man roster that I really don’t want there. I’m assuming that at some point during the offseason anyone who is not on the 25 man roster will disappear from the 40. True?
No. Once they are on the 40-man roster, they are there forever. The only way to get them off is to clear them through waivers. Anyone you don't want there has to clear waivers before you can remove them.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
Once they are on the 40-man roster, they are there forever. The only way to get them off is to clear them through waivers.
Just to be perfectly clear (or needlessly pendantic, take your pick ), a player can be removed from the 40-man roster by either:

(A) Assigning the player outright to the minor leagues (this requires waivers);
(B) Unconditionally releasing the player (this also requires waivers); or
(C) Trading the player to another major league club (this requires waivers if the trade takes place after the trade deadline).
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
kq76
Global Moderator

I'm resurrecting an old thread, I know, but this point has come up in our online league and it doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
First of all, that's not the case in OOTP so I have to assume you mean that's what happens in real life and that that's what should happen in OOTP. I don't believe either is true however. If one of the reasons for waiving a player is to remove him from the 40 man then surely an outrighted player who had a major league contract will still have a major league contract after they've been outrighted to the minors and therefore they'd be a player who has a major league contract, but is not on the 40 man roster.

I know, it's a poor source, but wikipedia seems to confirm this when it says:

Quote:
Typically a player is placed on waivers after being designated for assignment for the purpose of outrighting him to one of the club's minor league teams. A player who is outrighted to the minors is removed from the 40-man roster but is still paid according to the terms of his guaranteed contract. A player can only be outrighted once in his career without his consent. However, a player must clear waivers (that is, no other team may place a waiver claim on the player) to be sent to a minor league team. Also, if the player has five or more full years of major league service, he must give consent to be assigned to the minors. If the player withholds consent, the team must either release him or keep him on the major league roster. In either case, the player must continue to be paid under the terms of his contract.
Designated for assignment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and:

Quote:
A player who is designated for assignment is immediately removed from the 40-man roster. This gives the team time to decide what to do with the player while freeing up a roster spot for another transaction, if needed. Once a player is designated for assignment, the team has ten days to do one of the following things: the player can be traded, the player can be released, or the player can be put on waivers and, provided he clears, outrighted to the minors. A player who is outrighted to the minors is removed from the 40-man roster but is still paid according to the terms of his guaranteed contract. A player can only be outrighted once in his career without his consent.
Major League Baseball transactions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still being paid their guaranteed contract makes sense, but is it just the case that it's no longer considered a major league contract once a player is outrighted? Perhaps that is the case, but for OOTP's purposes, if they're still supposed to get paid the same then I think it's fine that OOTP doesn't require players with major league contracts to be on the secondary roster.

I tried to find some sort of confirmation or denial in the CBA, but it directed me to Major League Rule 10 which didn't help much.

On another page I did see this:

Quote:

The major league reserve list (the 40-man roster) must include all players under major league contract...
, but it seems to me that that is talking about when a team first declares its reserve list, not that it is a requirement throughout the year.

Last edited by kq76; 04-28-2010 at 11:38 AM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote