Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 05-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Calling all Diamond/Perfect League Managers

I am trying to learn the nuances of the higher-tier levels, and I now have 2 teams in Gold hovering around .500. I have made significant changes and still hover there. There is obviously something wrong with my strategy of improvement.

I was hoping you high level manager might be so kind as to give screenshots of your rosters at DiL/PeL so I have a better understanding of what a team in those leagues might look like? I would appreciate also a brief description as to why your team construction works for you. (i.e. because you use fast, slap-happy lefties and power righties, or you use a defense-up-the-middle strategy, or starters in relief to shorten the bullpen, etc...)

I just want to analyze several higher-level teams to get a better sense of where I am versus where I need to be. I have tried posting my teams, and I struggle with the advice. Some works wonderfully, and some does not. Maybe this way I can actually see what's working and possibly try new strats I haven't thought of yet.

Anyone who does so is much appreciated. So in short, post your roster and a short description of your strategy (ballpark, speed vs power, etc.)

Thank you so much to all who contribute. Cheers!
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #2
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

do you have any particular strategy that you WANT to use? First thing is the game should be fun so if you have a theme you enjoy or like all-lefties or something, you should state that up front when asking for advice so we can help cater to that. I'm at work but I'll post my high diamond team tonight.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWR View Post
do you have any particular strategy that you WANT to use? First thing is the game should be fun so if you have a theme you enjoy or like all-lefties or something, you should state that up front when asking for advice so we can help cater to that. I'm at work but I'll post my high diamond team tonight.

Not anything in particular. I am using a all-Nationals/Expos/Senators team for my main, a LH power team for my third team, and my secondary team currently is aimless with no idea where it's going or what identity it has. So this is really open-ended inquiry here. I'm interested in how you guys do it. That's all
Old 05-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #4
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Check out the thread http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=299382 - it may give you more information than any new threads in this slow forum.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #5
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

I've read it. Just felt like a measuring contest of overall value. Doesn't really mention much in the way of strategy except for "pack only" or not. I'll re-read tonight, and I appreciate the post, but I wanted the thread to be as current as possible even if it takes weeks for people to post. I'll be stuck in Gold in the meantime anyways. Most of that thread is about "get this card or that" which is basically impossible with the AH the way it is.

I'm looking for people to post about park factors, overall strats for pitching, fielding, and hitting. As well as their overall strategy.

Thank you for your post.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #6
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

I think I can help out with what Perfect level rosters can look like. I have three teams at Perfect, one of which was into Perfect the first year it opened up, and two that I brought along slower, but still have been at Perfect for 9 seasons now or more.

The first is my top team if you will, the Blue Gryphons. They've won 3 Perfect WS titles now, and generally are a playoff team, and in 18 seasons in perfect now have missed the playoffs 4 times. To show the spread, the WS titles came in 2025, 2035, and 2038. I have the park set up completely neutral and run a balanced type of managerial setup.

In the grand scheme it's a competitive team. I have a few Perfect cards, but none of the real high priced ones, and instead I've gone with trial and error with cards I think give bang for the buck. I try to have players that may not win gold gloves, but play decent D, and have put more emphasis on putting my PP into pitching than offense overall I'd say.

Next one is my Gryphons Gold team. In 11 seasons, they've only qualified for playoffs the past two seasons, but last year (2039) they won the P401 WS title. It was still an underdog situation, but I do feel the team is pretty competitive most years. Again more emphasis on pitching and decent defenders, and a few players in common with my Blue team. This is the kind of team that takes a while to build but you could get to this point as a FTP with smart AH purchases. This season (2040) they're playing darn near .600 ball in an average Perfect league, so it's possible being competitive without having Perfect Pedro or Gooden or Bonds or Old Hoss, as long as you have decent balanced pitching and use your bench well. May never win another WS, but still it's fun being competitive and occasionally you can surprise. Again neutral park, and manager settings fairly conservative and utilizing speed and defensive replacements / pitcher hooks.

Last up is my Gryphon Red team. This team is a FTP team that's been at Perfect level for 9 seasons, and never qualified for playoffs yet (although did come within a game of the second WC spot two seasons ago). More bargain shopping than spending on the AH, and using tricks and cards I've learned can work with my Blue team. OK, not in danger of winning a WS any time soon at Perfect, but usually comfortably above the relegation cut line. A couple close calls earlier on, but last few years playing roughly at a .450 clip or so. Small victories. I'm trying to find players to make depth an advantage, and subbing in top defenders late when I have any kind of leads. I could use another top starter or two for sure to bump up the overall chances at playoffs, but at the same time no real dogs in there either, and golds like Carew and Clemente can hit at the Perfect level. Raines is surprisingly good too, although maybe more prone to occasional "off" years. But steals a ton of bases for me.

Hopefully that is some help.
Dunzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

You will also run across teams like this, or maybe even better in terms of number of high-dollar cards. Sometimes they have stupid good regular seasons and then lose to teams that on paper look way weaker. However they do tend to be pretty successful with rosters like this.

I won the WS against the league with these two teams.

Here's another one to consider. This team has won TEN Perfect WS titles and one of the most successful teams in PT19 for sure. My Gold team had to get through this team to win their only WS title. So it does happen.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:07 PM   #8
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

You see, what I don't understand is when someone says "Carew can hit at the perfect level", but when I played him in Silver he was downright awful. -0.6 WAR, below mendoza line with no power to speak of, his OBP I believe was around .270-.276-ish, and only mediocre at best for defensive ability.
His second season in silver was MUCH worse so I sold him by the all-star break. So my question is, if a guy can hit so well in Perfect league, why do they suck so badly at Silver?
Old 05-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #9
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Oh and thank you very much for your input. It's quite clear I'll never make perfect. I should be happy made it to Gold :P
Old 05-01-2019, 08:13 PM   #10
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
You see, what I don't understand is when someone says "Carew can hit at the perfect level", but when I played him in Silver he was downright awful. -0.6 WAR, below mendoza line with no power to speak of, his OBP I believe was around .270-.276-ish, and only mediocre at best for defensive ability.
His second season in silver was MUCH worse so I sold him by the all-star break. So my question is, if a guy can hit so well in Perfect league, why do they suck so badly at Silver?

If you gave him a fair chance and he didn't hit I can only say I'm surprised... he regularly hits .300 for my red team at Perfect. WAR is sometimes misleading to me as a stat because it takes into account a lot of things including defense vs alternative players. Here's my Carew's last 3+. WAR ratings aren't awesome, but they aren't bad either.

He doesn't hit a lot of home runs - and keep in mind my park is set up not to favor hitters the way some do. But he's a capable .300 guy. Maybe not the right fit for all teams, but I like him as a contact hitter who gets on base.

Also... before you go feeling all hopeless about comparing the rosters I posted from the high end, check out this team from my current P416 league. ONE card above gold. Just one! And check out the record - he's in first comfortably in the NC West. 10 game lead in fact. I won't give away his park settings or what I see is his strategy. But he's winning large in his second year in Perfect after winning Diamond. Some guys do a great job with matching their park and their strategy to their players and making it work.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:32 PM   #11
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunzie View Post
If you gave him a fair chance and he didn't hit I can only say I'm surprised... he regularly hits .300 for my red team at Perfect. WAR is sometimes misleading to me as a stat because it takes into account a lot of things including defense vs alternative players. Here's my Carew's last 3+. WAR ratings aren't awesome, but they aren't bad either.

He doesn't hit a lot of home runs - and keep in mind my park is set up not to favor hitters the way some do. But he's a capable .300 guy. Maybe not the right fit for all teams, but I like him as a contact hitter who gets on base.

Also... before you go feeling all hopeless about comparing the rosters I posted from the high end, check out this team from my current P416 league. ONE card above gold. Just one! And check out the record - he's in first comfortably in the NC West. 10 game lead in fact. I won't give away his park settings or what I see is his strategy. But he's winning large in his second year in Perfect after winning Diamond. Some guys do a great job with matching their park and their strategy to their players and making it work.

First off, if I ever got more than 2.0 WAR from more than 2 players I'd be ECSTATIC. At 2.4 he would lead my team every year. So congrats on having him be that awesome for you!

Secondly, I have run almost the exact same team as that last guy you posted minus Ashburn, Pesky, Barker, Puckett, Varitek, and Boudreau and I'm stuck in silver and when I get to gold I'm getting relegated. So I have no idea how people get so lucky with the SAME players I've tried with over and over again, but when they're on my team they SUCK HARDCORE. They aren't just bad, they're so dismally bad that I have to mantra myself "be patient, give them time they'll come around" and then when they're -1.2 WAR batting .160 or less after the all star break with a 15 OPS+ I get pissed and sell them.

I'm obviously not cut out for this game or the game hates me. Sorry to sound dramatic but I legitimately try every bit of advice given here, and I've run almost the exact same team as several different people have posted in perfect and diamond leagues, and I cant get out of silver. There's obviously something wrong here. I'm about done. I truly don't know what else to do anymore. I spends hours every day scouring the AH or upgrades. I get excited when I find one after saving up for 2 weeks. Then the guy plays like a drunken minor leaguer for 6 months and everyone tells me don't worry things will even out. I don't see that happening. Ive tried ballpark variations, team structure micromanaging base running and hit&run strats, pull/hook sliders...everything. And when I get to gold it's luck and nothing more. It sucks because I was finally starting to have fun competing in silver, but it's extraordinarily discouraging to see people running your team to diamond and perfect while struggling to be .500 in gold. It makes no logical sense. I'm terribly sorry. End rant.

Last edited by Findest2001; 05-01-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:52 AM   #12
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

Might be worth setting up your park and manager settings the way you think fits best and walking away for the week. I sometimes wonder if players need to be given time left alone to get on track. If you’re frustrated maybe letting the game run its course for a few days will surprise you. There are some undisclosed variables the programmers won’t tell us about. Maybe it’s part of keeping the group together?

Also worth pointing out bad years for both players and teams happen. My top team had back to back sub 500 seasons and then won the World Series. Could be how your team matches up against your league competition one week vs the next. I know I’ve found that.

Anyway sorry to hear the frustration but probably worth sticking to it. Last week had a team that had my number. Just top defensive players and a park tweaked to reduce long balls and lefty BA. And smart slider settings for managing. Just keep seeing what works and build on it.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:06 AM   #13
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunzie View Post
Might be worth setting up your park and manager settings the way you think fits best and walking away for the week. I sometimes wonder if players need to be given time left alone to get on track. If you’re frustrated maybe letting the game run its course for a few days will surprise you. There are some undisclosed variables the programmers won’t tell us about. Maybe it’s part of keeping the group together?
I made this case weeks ago and, as you may remember because you were in the thread, Zorro told me I was wrong. Finally, out of desperation, I tried it anyway because I thought I had a good team but all of my tinkering could not make it win.

The first year, I was 71-91, but I made no changes. The second year, with the same exact team, I won 94 games and made the playoffs. For the next four years, I won at least 95 games and made the playoffs every year - with no changes. Some players had lousy years but other players picked up the slack.

Last year, I got a wild hair and changed (upgraded in theory) two starters, but I kept the original players on reserve. I went 83-79 but only after scrapping the experiment mid-year when I was 10 games under .500. This year, with the original lineup, I am 51-30 and in position for the first wild card.

I am convinced that a set roster improves by playing together. Your mileage may vary. I am also convinced that the best players win the most games, so I am not naïve enough to think any f2p team can use this strategy to win in perfect leagues. I am just saying that, all things being equal, the team that has continuity performs better.

P.S. The team is playing "Red" right now, so you can see that it is not a super team by any stretch of the imagination. My best pitchers are 96 Walter Johnson and Kevin Brown, and my best position players are probably Sisler and Anson.

Last edited by Orcin; 05-02-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #14
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I made this case weeks ago and, as you may remember because you were in the thread, Zorro told me I was wrong. Finally, out of desperation, I tried it anyway because I thought I had a good team but all of my tinkering could not make it win.

The first year, I was 71-91, but I made no changes. The second year, with the same exact team, I won 94 games and made the playoffs. For the next four years, I won at least 95 games and made the playoffs every year - with no changes. Some players had lousy years but other players picked up the slack.

Last year, I got a wild hair and changed (upgraded in theory) two starters, but I kept the original players on reserve. I went 83-79 but only after scrapping the experiment mid-year when I was 10 games under .500. This year, with the original lineup, I am 51-30 and in position for the first wild card.

I am convinced that a set roster improves by playing together. Your mileage may vary. I am also convinced that the best players win the most games, so I am not naïve enough to think any f2p team can use this strategy to win in perfect leagues. I am just saying that, all things being equal, the team that has continuity performs better.

P.S. The team is playing "Red" right now, so you can see that it is not a super team by any stretch of the imagination. My best pitchers are 96 Walter Johnson and Kevin Brown, and my best position players are probably Sisler and Anson.

I believe I have found the same thing. One tweak to the roster in a season seems to be ok, but a whole lot of additions and subtractions and fiddling with things seems to spell disappointment in my experience. And the first year I add a major upgrade player on paper he seems to have a rough year, or at least a rough start. Players go up and down week to week anyway, but I really believe you are right that continuity in the team makes for more success...
Old 05-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #15
KleineBiere
Minors (Double A)

Kinda boring...but won the WS last season
KleineBiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #16
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I have had the exact same experience. Definitely a believer in some sort of "chemistry" factor.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:02 PM   #17
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
I have had the exact same experience. Definitely a believer in some sort of "chemistry" factor.

It certainly might have something to do with it as I have to learn to not micromanage every day. With that said, so many times I have replaced a underperforming gold or diamond player with a bronze or even an iron who absolutely annihilate the previous players' performance. For example I have had Amed Rosario (iron) absolutely demolish Nolan Arenado, Manny Machado, and other gold infielders in both hitting and fielding for TWO SEASONS now. He's actually my super utility guy ATM. I'll take a screenshot if and when tech support get's me back running again, but last I checked he was hitting .280-.290, a solid 1.0-1.4 WAR at the all-star break, and about a 115OPS+. And he had + fielding metrics as well.

I've been told, and I understand now, that OVR rating isn't everything, but a LOW iron card should never outperform a high gold-low diamond card. Ever. Anyhoo, that's been my experience lately.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:07 PM   #18
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For example I have had Amed Rosario (iron) absolutely demolish Nolan Arenado, Manny Machado, and other gold infielders in both hitting and fielding for TWO SEASONS now.
So why not play him everyday as the starter? That solves one position.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #19
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

As soon as I do that he starts sucking lol. Believe me I tried
Old 05-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #20
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As soon as I do that he starts sucking lol. Believe me I tried
I am confused... didn't you say he was better than Arenado and Machado for two seasons? That doesn't sound like sucking to me.