Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

Friend and I are Confuzzled

Hey OOTP wizards,

A friend of mine and I want to create a league with a draft pool consisting of players from 1978-1982 only. We tried selecting random debut and confining to those years but we are missing players. In PureSim Baseball, it's really easy to import multiple seasons into one draft pool. I can't help but think that the process should be easy in OOTP19 and that perhaps we are missing something really obvious.

Help would be greatly, hugely, Graham's number sized appreciated!

Best,
Beatles
Beatles Eternally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:59 PM   #2
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Not an OOTP wizard but my first thought is someone is going to ask you about common characteristics of missing players.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
Not an OOTP wizard but my first thought is someone is going to ask you about common characteristics of missing players.
Hi Brad,

I DO appreciate your question. I guess what my buddy and I are flummoxed about is why isn't (seemingly) possible to just create a draft pool consisting of all players in a given span of years. As I mentioned, in PureSim baseball such a think literally takes a click per season and all players are in the draft pool.

Thanks Brad and Happy New Year.

Beatles
Old 01-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

with a little effort, you could do this with a text file, by going into the .csv files, and sorting by the years desired - you would need the player id and year into a text file. ( not exactly easy, but not impossible. Below is a very small sample of what you need and what the text file would look like. )

allowa001art, 1895
ames--001edw, 1895
ames--001jim, 1895
anders001pet, 1895
andrew001jay, 1895
armstr001tac, 1895
armstr001wil, 1895
arthur002sta, 1895

then you would need to import historical players wit the in game import - using the text file.

one issue is if you use both the Milb and MLB databases, you might (probably will) get duplicates - as many of those minor leaguers eventually make it to the bigs.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 01-07-2019 at 12:27 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
Ah, but the players aren't actually missing. Choosing random debut 1978-1982 will not result in a draft consisting of every player from the years chosen. The draft will provide a random selection of players from the chosen years to the tune of enough to fill a 44 round inaugural draft. After the season is played out, the game will once again pull random players from the chosen years for the amateur draft. The user can select how many rounds/players OOTP imports.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #6
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Ah, but the players aren't actually missing. Choosing random debut 1978-1982 will not result in a draft consisting of every player from the years chosen. The draft will provide a random selection of players from the chosen years to the tune of enough to fill a 44 round inaugural draft. After the season is played out, the game will once again pull random players from the chosen years for the amateur draft. The user can select how many rounds/players OOTP imports.
David,

Thank you for the information; it makes sense. I just wish OOTP would implement a method for bringing in all of the players for specified in the same way that PureSim does it. It's one of the few areas that PureSim really does better and I say that even though OOTP is my all time favorite sim with Action PC and Diamond second and third respectively.

Oh well, I suppose it's not a feature the community wants or Markus and company would have implemented it. It's just frustrating because otherwise, there really is insane freedom in OOTP to create what we want.

C'est la vie

Thanks again!

Beatles
Old 01-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #7
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
with a little effort, you could do this with a text file, by going into the .csv files, and sorting by the years desired - you would need the player id and year into a text file. ( not exactly easy, but not impossible. Below is a very small sample of what you need and what the text file would look like. )

allowa001art, 1895
ames--001edw, 1895
ames--001jim, 1895
anders001pet, 1895
andrew001jay, 1895
armstr001tac, 1895
armstr001wil, 1895
arthur002sta, 1895

then you would need to import historical players wit the in game import - using the text file.

one issue is if you use both the Milb and MLB databases, you might (probably will) get duplicates - as many of those minor leaguers eventually make it to the bigs.
Hi mitchkenn,

Tried this and it didn't bring in the players. Perhaps my friend and I missed a step.

Thanks for hopping in though and trying to help!

Best,
Beatles
Old 01-08-2019, 06:15 AM   #8
majesty95
All Star Starter

My guess is that you're trying to import five years of players to fill one year of a league. I dont think OOTP will allow it because you would have 4 years worth of players without a team. I'm guessing puresim doesnt have the full minors in their player DB?

I would start in one year and then do the random debut for the subsequent drafts.
I know that's not what you want, but its probably as close as you can get. One of the few downsides to full minors.
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #9
Beatles Eternally
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95 View Post
My guess is that you're trying to import five years of players to fill one year of a league. I dont think OOTP will allow it because you would have 4 years worth of players without a team. I'm guessing puresim doesnt have the full minors in their player DB?

I would start in one year and then do the random debut for the subsequent drafts.
I know that's not what you want, but its probably as close as you can get. One of the few downsides to full minors.
Hey there majesty95,

Thank you for the suggestion; it's probably as close as I can get unless I can suss out the text file thing. As for PureSim, all I need to do is make sure I uncheck Allow Duplicate Players and then just choose each season and it brings in even guys that just came up for a cup of coffee.

Thanks again!!

Beatles
Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #10
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Eternally View Post
Hi mitchkenn,

Tried this and it didn't bring in the players. Perhaps my friend and I missed a step.

Thanks for hopping in though and trying to help!

Best,
Beatles

you need to be certain you are pointed to the correct database. the system does work, because i use it very often in my fictional league. i've been importing historical players from the game's database - each season of my games 55 year existence. you just need to tell the game the player ID (then a coma) a space and the year of the players stats you want the game to start with - which will determine his age, etc.

you will need to have a text file for each year you want to import players, so 1895 is for the players of that debuted that year for my game.

hope you get it sorted out. i've got a more detailed description of how to create a text file somewhere on the computer that i could send you if you think it would be helpful or worth the time. PM me if you'd want it. And no problems if you don't. i just don't check all the forums so i might miss it if you requested here.

good luck.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen

Last edited by mitchkenn; 01-08-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #11
Kong Kingman
Bat Boy

Hi Mitch....I'm the person Beatles is trying to help. What I am trying to accomplish is setting up a historical league starting in 1977 as the base. I want to populate the organization with players I want to choose from 1977-82. Here is a sample of the TXT file I created.

fiskca01, 1977, BOS
yastrca01, 1977, BOS
riceji01, 1978, BOS
hobsobu01, 1977, BOS
carbobe01, 1977, BOS
lynnfr01, 1979, BOS

I followed instructions from other threads I had seen. First time I tried this without the team ID's and it didn't work. Second time I tried it WITH the team ID's from the game...still no luck. Both times it populated the teams with original rosters from 1977. I took the players ID from Baseball Reference using the format I had seen others use. Once I created this txt file, I put it in the OOTP19 folder under stats. Then under advanced options I choose the path to this database like it said. I read where you could add the team ID to this so the player would be on the right team.

Couple of questions then.....

Is my format wrong?

Should I use the Lahman Database for the Player ID's instead of Baseball
Reference?

Should I start my league in 1983 instead of 1977 because I am importing players from PAST 1977?

Should my database be in another format like .csv files?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure this out. Plus a shout out to Beatles Eternally for trying to help a confuzzled friend. If anybody else would like to chime in it would be appreciated.
Kong Kingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #12
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

sent a pm with note ... but i just saw this post -- maybe you don't need that space after the year:
lynnfr01, 1979, BOS
try
lynnfr01, 1979,BOS

use the .csv files for the player ID. it is exactly what the game uses. (bbref most of time match)
(those files are MOST LIKELY in C:\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 19\stats\stats - unless you customized where your go, as i did mine so you may not need the 2nd stats in that line. that location is also where you will find the databases you need to point to when importing players.)
your data base isn't the text file - it's the one that comes in the game - historical_database.odb , historical_minor_database.odb. you need to point to that before you actually try the import. that's the only way the game knows where to look for the palyers in your text file.

don't know if that maters. maybe it's bos and not BOS??? i've not done this to team import except in a single test. the BOS vs bos all depends on how your game is reading - my PM says where to find it.

no problems asking questions.

hope this (and the PM) helps. what you're trying to do is doable. just a matter of getting it right i suspect.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 01-11-2019 at 02:10 PM.