Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 04-21-2015, 07:02 AM   #1
Xogo
Minors (Triple A)

Need help with Stamina ratings as pitches thrown

Hello

Anyone have a way to use the stamina ratings in terms how many pitches that player is good for. I looked at the manual and its no help. In fact, the manual says stamina ratings are 1-100 and the game uses 1-20.

With stamina ratings 1-20, how do you know the average amount of pitches a pitcher is good for? And does is differ from Starter versus Reliever?

Thanks
Xogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

If we assume that SteveP is correct in this recent post of his:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
A pitchers stamina rating translates directly to a set number of pitches that mark the point when a pitcher is "Tiring". Two SPs with the same stamina rating (what you see in the editor, which is not necessarily what your scout is telling you) will have the exact same number of pitches to reach "Tiring".

When an SP reaches 90% of that number of pitches (to "Tiring"), he starts to weaken in a way that batters can take advantage of. There is nothing that shows up as a warning to you that this is happening. However, I try to set pitch count limits at that 90% point to that extent that I can, given my bullpen, etc.

IMO there is no point on worrying about any of this with your RPs because they generally throw many fewer pitches.
Then we can best estimate when your SPs would begin tiring by multiplying their stamina rating (on the 1-20 scale) by 4.5 (you'd want to multiply by 5 to get their stamina rating on the 1-100 scale and then multiply by 0.9 to find their "tiring number", so 5*0.9=4.5)

So, if your SP has a stamina of 16, then 16*4.5=72, so he'd begin to tire after about 72 pitches
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Scale is a user choice, so I'm not sure why the arithmetic is necessary. I also think the number of pitches each player is capable of is more than your calculation suggests and it is variable based on pitcher usage. I use a 1-5 scale, and a 4 stamina SP is good for 110-120 pitches again dependent on previous rest and whether he is <4 or >4 internally.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #4
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I use a 1-10 scale and 4 is at best a 5 inning guy, 5 is a solid 5 inning guy, 6 will get to about 85 pitches before being tired but can go 100 pitches a few times a year. I have 3 7 STA guys in my rotation right now and when they hit 100 it's about time to pull them, the other 2 guys are 10's and regularly go 125 pitches highest they have gone is 160 pitches.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
etothep
Minors (Double A)

I dunno

90% of fatigue seems pretty low
etothep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by etothep View Post
I dunno

90% of fatigue seems pretty low
I don't know what you mean. The calculation above and the 90% figure given from another post are not something I've ever understood to be in the game.

AFAIK there is no specific number of pitches one can calculate from a given stamina rating. That would be a simplistic and exploitable piece of knowledge IMO.

Check out this screen shot. I see a pattern related to pitcher usage not to a specific pitch count.
Attached Images

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 04-21-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I don't know what you mean. The calculation above and the 90% figure given from another post are not something I've ever understood to be in the game.

AFAIK there is no specific number of pitches one can calculate from a given stamina rating. That would be a simplistic and exploitable piece of knowledge IMO.

Check out this screen shot. I see a pattern related to pitcher usage not to a specific pitch count.
If you take two SPs who have the exact same stamina rating as shown in the editor, they will hit "Tiring" on exactly the same pitch. I have never tried to calculate a formula for this, because it is easy to see by watching your pitchers.

To clarify another point. If an SP reaches "Tiring" on pitch #100, his performance will start dropping on pitch #90. The only way you will know this is by watching what happens to his pitch speeds. The speeds drop about 2mph on average during those last pitches before he hits "Tiring".

There is probably a similar fixed pattern to when an SP hits "Tired" but I have never tried to figure that out.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you take two SPs who have the exact same stamina rating as shown in the editor, they will hit "Tiring" on exactly the same pitch. I have never tried to calculate a formula for this, because it is easy to see by watching your pitchers.
I guess I'll take your word on it. Still seriously confused. Are you saying that pitcher A at 141 stamina would tire on a different pitch than pitcher B at 140 or pitcher C at 142? I'm hard pressed not to think there is a wider range in effect on the 200/250 scale. What about a 141 vs 159? What would the difference in pitches be?

It never occurred to me to play the game via the editor. I use a 1-5 scale purposely so I don't know this info.

Quote:
I have never tried to calculate a formula for this, because it is easy to see by watching your pitchers.
I agree that you can tell by watching, but I've played enough to know that some pitchers maintain success when tired better than others (quality of pitches?). Again I'm perplexed why I'd want to know the exact point for any reason. It seems like dealing cards from the bottom of the deck.

RichW

Old 04-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Are you saying that pitcher A at 141 stamina would tire on a different pitch than pitcher B at 140 or pitcher C at 142?
Probably not, just because of rounding. However, if the stamina rating differences are a little greater, than they will get to Tiring on different pitch counts in exact proportion to those differences

Quote:
It never occurred to me to play the game via the editor. I use a 1-5 scale purposely so I don't know this info.
This wasn't about how to play the game. Just an explanation for what you see when you are playing. Looking at the editor is the only way for someone to confirm this for themselves, if they wish. There are certain things in the game that work in a very rigid, predictable way. This is one of them.

Quote:
I agree that you can tell by watching, but I've played enough to know that some pitchers maintain success when tired better than others (quality of pitches?). Again I'm perplexed why I'd want to know the exact point for any reason. It seems like dealing cards from the bottom of the deck.
In real life, the manager and pitching coaches can tell when an SP is losing effectiveness/starting to tire/is strung out by watching body language, pitch movement, arm slot, along with the radar gun, etc. We do not have that ability. What we have instead is predictability related to number of pitches which we can calibrate by watching our SPs carefully over a few games. What you do with that info is up to you. Because I have an excellent bullpen, it is easy for me to set pitch count limits below where each of my SPs would start to lose effectiveness. Someone else might choose to keep their RPs sitting longer.

Note: if an SP starts a game at less than 100%, he will get to "Tiring" earlier. You can still tell how close he is by watching to see when his pitch speeds drop.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote