Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Two Questions for a Historical League Setup

So, before the questions, it's time for some context.

I'm starting in 1901, planning to work through the entire history of an American League club. I plan to only use real, historical major league players, with no minor leagues or ghost players. Reserve roster will be used. Recalc on, 3-year window with double weighting of the current year. Player development will be on just so players can be adjusted to new positions over the course of a season (nothing radical, just moving a CF to RF, or RF to LF when necessary)

My major deviation will be to turn off "miss seasons according to history." I'd like to see what kind of totals somebody like Ted Williams can put up without the career interruptions.

My questions are:

1) With OOTP14, out of the box, will Negro League players appear in the reserve rosters only when they made their MLB debuts? For example, Jackie Robinson appears in 1947, not prior to that date? I'm hoping that this is the case.

2) How are players who jumped from league to league handled, where the leagues they jumped into/out of are neither the NL nor the AL? With "miss seasons according to history" turned off, what happens with these players? How are their ratings calculated?

Appreciate any responses. I'm very early in the planning process for this league (making a spreadsheet to track the team's history of starting position players/pitchers right now - which will take me quite some time before I'm ready to execute the league), so I have some time to make sure I ask all the right questions in order to do this correctly.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

1. Jackie Robinson

I have had players perform, some better, some worst on the missing time off RL. Example Warren Spahn struggled when he was with my team during 1942 to 1944.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDurron View Post
1) With OOTP14, out of the box, will Negro League players appear in the reserve rosters only when they made their MLB debuts? For example, Jackie Robinson appears in 1947, not prior to that date? I'm hoping that this is the case.

2) How are players who jumped from league to league handled, where the leagues they jumped into/out of are neither the NL nor the AL? With "miss seasons according to history" turned off, what happens with these players? How are their ratings calculated?

Appreciate any responses. I'm very early in the planning process for this league (making a spreadsheet to track the team's history of starting position players/pitchers right now - which will take me quite some time before I'm ready to execute the league), so I have some time to make sure I ask all the right questions in order to do this correctly.
1. Yes, the only way they would appear earlier is if you use a Gambo or Spritz DB.
2. not entirely sure. Spritz or Gambo would know.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
1. Yes, the only way they would appear earlier is if you use a Gambo or Spritz DB.
2. not entirely sure. Spritz or Gambo would know.
To follow-up on #1, is it true that the Neutralized DB is the Gambo/Spritz DB, or am I misremembering something?

I'm not passionate about whether to use historical stats or neutralized stats, but I am very keen on an entire subset of players not becoming available prior to when they did historically.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #5
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To follow-up on #1, is it true that the Neutralized DB is the Gambo/Spritz DB, or am I misremembering something?

I'm not passionate about whether to use historical stats or neutralized stats, but I am very keen on an entire subset of players not becoming available prior to when they did historically.
You would have to manually download and load their DB's they are not part of the default. For real leagues I use real stats. For clones or players appearing at a time when the did not originally play I use neutralized,
Old 05-05-2013, 03:06 AM   #6
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gambo/Spritze helped prepare the neutralized stats settings for OOTP, but their database is entirely separate.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Thank you both.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
Gambo/Spritze helped prepare the neutralized stats settings for OOTP, but their database is entirely separate.
It actually was Garlon/Spritze who did the neutered stats several years ago and Spritze/Spritze who keeps them up to date.

Gambo uses the Spritze High School Neutered DB as the basis to create the Gambo/Spritze database.

Gotta make sure Garlon gets his peeps and props.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #9
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
It actually was Garlon/Spritze who did the neutered stats several years ago and Spritze/Spritze who keeps them up to date.

Gambo uses the Spritze High School Neutered DB as the basis to create the Gambo/Spritze database.

Gotta make sure Garlon gets his peeps and props.
Any chance you could help with my second question from the opening post?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #10
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Any chance you could help with my second question from the opening post?
There are no missed seasons in the neutralized stats. OOTP is supposed to pull those from there.

OOTP just pretends non-AL and NL leagues and players never existed. Sorta like it pretends no players played prior to or after their major league career.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
There are no missed seasons in the neutralized stats. OOTP is supposed to pull those from there.

OOTP just pretends non-AL and NL leagues and players never existed. Sorta like it pretends no players played prior to or after their major league career.
See, this is where I am getting confused. Players like Gavvy Cravath and Lefty O'Doul made their MLB debuts, played on neither AL nor NL teams for a few seasons, then returned to another MLB team. If there are no seasons missed in their neutralized stats, but the leagues they played in (and therefore, they) do not exist in OOTP for those seasons, what happens to them during those years when they were historically out of the AL/NL universe?

Do they stay on their original team, with stats projected based on what they did in the leagues that don't exist? Do they vanish until they are supposed to re-appear on their next MLB team? Do they remain, but with stats projected (3-year recalc here) based on their next 3 seasons that were on a MLB team? Do the answers for the neutralized stats apply to their historical stats?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
See, this is where I am getting confused. Players like Gavvy Cravath and Lefty O'Doul made their MLB debuts, played on neither AL nor NL teams for a few seasons, then returned to another MLB team. If there are no seasons missed in their neutralized stats, but the leagues they played in (and therefore, they) do not exist in OOTP for those seasons, what happens to them during those years when they were historically out of the AL/NL universe?

Do they stay on their original team, with stats projected based on what they did in the leagues that don't exist? Do they vanish until they are supposed to re-appear on their next MLB team? Do they remain, but with stats projected (3-year recalc here) based on their next 3 seasons that were on a MLB team? Do the answers for the neutralized stats apply to their historical stats?
When the player plays for a non MLB league the game just considers them a Free Agent. They're neutralized stats are based on the surrounding years. (In Spritze based databases often they stats in the other league are used as equivalencies).

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Gambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambo View Post
When the player plays for a non MLB league the game just considers them a Free Agent. They're neutralized stats are based on the surrounding years. (In Spritze based databases often they stats in the other league are used as equivalencies).
I think that's only the case for import purposes. If the player was already on a roster and you're not using real transactions, then I think the player will stay on the roster and his ratings will be based on whatever years fall within the recalc window. If there aren't any stats within that window, then his ratings should remain unchanged.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Thank you both, so my takeaway is that the players will remain for the years where they had originally "jumped" leagues, or had been demoted. This is a major input to my roster management strategies for my planned historical league, so I greatly appreciate the feedback.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
Gambo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
I think that's only the case for import purposes. If the player was already on a roster and you're not using real transactions, then I think the player will stay on the roster and his ratings will be based on whatever years fall within the recalc window. If there aren't any stats within that window, then his ratings should remain unchanged.
Yes. True.

On a side note originally when the player missed seasons (dont know if it still does) the player would be retired by the game and then reimported when they returned. Of course this was when retire according to history is enabled. When we did the transaction database we set it up so that you did not need to use retire according to history but the players would leave their team and become a free agent when he ceased playing for them.

OOTP MODS:
Historical Face Gen Project, Spritze/Gambo Database, OOTP Stadium Chart and Ballpark Images, MLB Compiled Uniform & Logo Pack
available at...
http://www.ootpmods.com
Gambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambo View Post
Yes. True.

On a side note originally when the player missed seasons (dont know if it still does) the player would be retired by the game and then reimported when they returned. Of course this was when retire according to history is enabled. When we did the transaction database we set it up so that you did not need to use retire according to history but the players would leave their team and become a free agent when he ceased playing for them.
Nuts, now I'm confused again.

I am planning to play with "Miss Seasons According to History" DISABLED, but with "Retire According to History" ENABLED. Will the players be retired, then re-imported for missed seasons due to league jumping, or will they remain on the original team's roster unless an independent transaction is executed to change their state (i.e., trading or releasing them)?
Old 05-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Gambo & Spritze still have stats for players that played in other leagues. Both Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige have both been successful in my ABF league. I imported them from their 1st season in the Negro Leagues. Not totally sure if that helps or not. Gibson struggled his 1st 6 seasons and Paige won 18 regularly for 3 yrs before leading the league in wins at 23, also Paige played on 4 WS teams.