Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
tigey75
Major Leagues

Changing positions

How do you go about teaching a player a new position? When is the best time to have them learn it? And, can any player learn any position?

Thanks for the info.
tigey75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Sparrow
All Star Reserve

I believe Spring Training and the minors are the best times to teach players new positions.

Look at the fielding ratings and you should get a decent idea at which positions a player would be able to learn.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
tigey75
Major Leagues

Thanks, when you want to have him learn the position do you just "set position" to the new one or is there another tab?
Old 03-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigey75 View Post
Thanks, when you want to have him learn the position do you just "set position" to the new one or is there another tab?
You will have to "force start" in most cases. The AI will not care where you want to play any player. It will definitely ignore any player with no or very low ratings at any position until it runs out of other subs. Note how often it flips 2B/SS/3B in illogical ways in any game. When you change the position look at what happens to the players overall rating. If it falls badly you are unlikely to see the player at that position unless you force start.

Don't count on any player, unless he is outstanding defensively, to learn a new position in ST. Even if you were to start them in every game the substitution pattern will have them playing 4-6 innings max. Depending on how the game turns out, that could mean 2-3 GB per game. Not enough chances to improve.

I change positions in the minors and force start. You have to live with the errors.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
tigey75
Major Leagues

Thanks for the info, I used the force start button. Is the "set position to" tab pretty much useless, or does it cause the computer to play a guy there if he's able to?
Old 03-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I used the force start button. Is the "set position to" tab pretty much useless, or does it cause the computer to play a guy there if he's able to?
My impression is that "set position" is for the human mostly. When you manually build lineups and you want player X to play LF and you drag and drop him to the lineup the AI will not assign him there unless his primary position is LF. So if you have a lot of guys with RF set as primary you may want to change some to LF or CF.

As far as game management (substitution or lineup changes) goes, I don't think it matters. The AI will play any player who meets whatever internal criteria (usually offense) it has, at any position. Even if the player has no or very low ratings.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 03-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
tigey75
Major Leagues

Ahh so that's why sometimes when I put a guy in the lineup it automatically puts a position next to his name and sometimes not. Very helpful, thanks again.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ahh so that's why sometimes when I put a guy in the lineup it automatically puts a position next to his name and sometimes not. Very helpful, thanks again.
Exactly.

RichW

Last edited by RchW; 03-28-2010 at 09:40 AM.