Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

To make MLB Playoffs better

16 teams in each 2 teams from each Division in it.
East Mets and Red Sox
Altantic Phils and Pirates
Southeast Rays and Marlins
Midwest what ever 2 teams have a better record Cardinals or Astros or Rangers
Northcentral Cubs and who ever wins Al Central if they have a better record then the Brewers
Central Tigers and Indians
California Both LA teams
West the only to teams in the Division Seattle and Arizona

Last edited by mgom27; 09-28-2008 at 10:43 PM.
mgom27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
rangers85
All Star Reserve

Location: Fort Worth, TX...home of the mighty TCU Horned Frogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgom27 View Post
This is odd. Does this mean 16 in both leagues, if so where's the new 2 expansion teams? Plus seems to mean we're creating a couple more divisions, or do we have 2 wild card teams from each league? mgom's plans are missing more than the usual amount of info this time.
rangers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
yankeesrule
All Star Starter

Are you just randomly making up the divisions? And how is this making playoffs better by including the worst(seattle) and 3rd worst(pittsburgh) teams?
yankeesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:07 AM   #4
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

16 playoff teams in baseball would be the worst idea of all time. Baseball's postseason is already stretched to a month now. That would more than double that time. I am against the postseason of a sport lasting 25% as long as the regular season.

Baseball, currently: Generally 1 month (16.7% as long as regular season)
Football: 5 weeks with the pre-SB bye week (29.4%)
Basketball: 2 months (36.4%)

Baseball would suffer from the long drawn out problem that basketball has. The playoffs just take too damn long with every series being a best of 7. It's too saturated with 82 games and between 16 and 28 more games in the playoffs. In a 16 team baseball playoff, if you had a best of 5 before the LCS, that's 14 to 24 more games after a 162 game schedule.

Football is the only sport that isn't hurt by 4 rounds of playoffs, since there are only 16 regular season games. There is talk of cutting the preseason in half and adding 2 more regular season games. That would eventually add a little bit of an oversaturation problem, but still not as bad as basketball or baseball with a longer playoff situation.

Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4; I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!
Bobbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
Raderick
Hall Of Famer

ok
Old 09-29-2008, 12:55 AM   #6
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers85 View Post
This is odd. Does this mean 16 in both leagues, if so where's the new 2 expansion teams? Plus seems to mean we're creating a couple more divisions, or do we have 2 wild card teams from each league? mgom's plans are missing more than the usual amount of info this time.
I think he is proposing two 16-team leagues, each with four 4-team divisions.

4-team divisions are teh suk. Too small, not enough competitive variety. Divisions should, at a minimum, contain five teams, and preferrably six (which I rate as the perfect division size). Seven teams is okay, but is getting on the large size. Eight is a bit too large I'd say.

As for expanded playoffs in MLB, it's not going to happen with trimming back the regular season. There's no room to squeeze in another round, unless it was best-of-three series (and even then it'd be a tight fit).
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:14 AM   #7
phillosopherp
All Star Reserve

I believe that baseball's playoffs are currently perfect. Any change would ruin it IMHO.
phillosopherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:24 AM   #8
ctorg
Global Moderator

Quote:
East Mets and Red Sox
Northcentral Cubs and who ever wins Al Central if they have a better record then the Brewers
California Both LA teams
West the only to teams in the Division Seattle and Arizona
This is genius. You need to draft a letter and send it to your congressman. Or send it to Andres Galarraga. He'd know what to do with it. He was a good hitter, after all.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:42 AM   #9
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

the mlb & nba simply need less off days. play everyday except for 1 day for travel.

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #10
phillosopherp
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrack View Post
the mlb & nba simply need less off days. play everyday except for 1 day for travel.

Dude do you know how banged up baseball players end up at the end of a season. Less off day s would kill them. I think that baseball would be server better by increasing the season. I love baseball, my saddest day of the year is the end of the season. It is the greatest game ever invented. I would have butt sex with baseball if I could. I wished that they actually televised winter league in the states, that way I could get my fix in the off season.
phillosopherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:29 AM   #11
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers85 View Post
if so where's the new 2 expansion teams?
Orlando and P. Rico are the baseball equivalents of McManus, Keaton, Fenster, Hockney and Kint...
Old 09-29-2008, 06:33 AM   #12
Tony M
Global Moderator

I think a 4-3-2-1 approach is needed to the [A|N]LDS...

Three division winners seeded 1-3 and Wildcard seeded 4th.

The 1st seed has 4 home games out of 5
The 2nd seed has 3 home games out of 5
The 3rd seed has 2 home games out of 5
The 4th seed has 1 home game out of 5
Old 09-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #13
English_Ray
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
Are you just randomly making up the divisions? And how is this making playoffs better by including the worst(seattle) and 3rd worst(pittsburgh) teams?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
I think he is proposing two 16-team leagues, each with four 4-team divisions.
You seem to be missing something:

Quote:
East Mets and Red Sox
California Both LA teams
West the only t[w]o teams in the Division Seattle and Arizona
I think its still 30 teams, but the West Division is a two-team division. Which presumably means Arizona and Seattle qualify every year. Which seems fair, no?! I think the Yankees will soon be petitioning for this system, with a minor alteration to ensure they are the ones who get automatic playoff qualification...
Old 09-29-2008, 07:56 AM   #14
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Go back to 2 divisions and do away with the wildcard. Shorten the playoffs. Who cares about the playoffs a month from now, or the series for that matter, in the middle of football.
StyxNCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #15
kq76
Global Moderator

2 leagues, 2 divisions per league, the 4 division winners make the playoffs... plus the 4 best more from each league regardless of division, the WCs play each other in the 1st rd, then the winners of the 1st rd meet the division winners in rd 2 and from there you have the lg championships and then the WS.

Pretty simple really and how is it better than what we have currently? Well, you dramaticly decrease the chances of having a division winner that doesn't deserve it and you add more teams to the playoffs which allows for a lot more fans to be interested down the stretch. Only question is do you make the 1st rd a full 7 games or shorten it which helps weaken those WCs for when they make it to the 2nd rd. I don't like the shortened series as we have it now because the best teams are too easily knocked out, but if it was just WCs playing I wouldn't have a problem with shortened serieses. It would take no longer than what we have currently, only adds 2 more teams to increase interest, and gives the division winners safe passage through the 1st rd. (I can't take credit for it, though, heard it from the Bobcat.)

Will this be possible in OOTPX? I hope so.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #16
CommishJoe
Global Moderator

I actually wouldn't mind 2 leagues with no divisions. Have the first 4 teams from each league make the playoffs with home field going to the top 2 teams.

Success isn’t owned. It’s leased. And rent is due every day.
CommishJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #17
ctorg
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyxNCa View Post
Go back to 2 divisions and do away with the wildcard. Shorten the playoffs. Who cares about the playoffs a month from now, or the series for that matter, in the middle of football.
<- Raises hand.

I'm one of those people who care for no sport except baseball. If it were year round, I would keep watching. In fact, it kind of is year round, since I check the hot stove stuff every day in the offseason.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
Old 09-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #18
ctorg
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
2 leagues, 2 divisions per league, the 4 division winners make the playoffs... plus the 4 best more from each league regardless of division, the WCs play each other in the 1st rd, then the winners of the 1st rd meet the division winners in rd 2 and from there you have the lg championships and then the WS.

Pretty simple really and how is it better than what we have currently? Well, you dramaticly decrease the chances of having a division winner that doesn't deserve it and you add more teams to the playoffs which allows for a lot more fans to be interested down the stretch. Only question is do you make the 1st rd a full 7 games or shorten it which helps weaken those WCs for when they make it to the 2nd rd. I don't like the shortened series as we have it now because the best teams are too easily knocked out, but if it was just WCs playing I wouldn't have a problem with shortened serieses. It would take no longer than what we have currently, only adds 2 more teams to increase interest, and gives the division winners safe passage through the 1st rd. (I can't take credit for it, though, heard it from the Bobcat.)

Will this be possible in OOTPX? I hope so.
That's a pretty good system. I'd use that in my leagues.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #19
Tony M
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommishJoe View Post
I actually wouldn't mind 2 leagues with no divisions. Have the first 4 teams from each league make the playoffs with home field going to the top 2 teams.
Won't somebody think of the ESPNs of the world though? That would cut down the only baseball series they show to 12 games a year...

It's not a very easy situation scheduling wise because no divisions in a league calls out for a balanced schedule and having differing numbers of teams would make it hard to have a same number of games scenario.

The AL could have 12 games against each opponent making 156, but the NL would need to have 10 to make their total 150, but there's no way to factor a fairish interleague into that to even the game totals. 13 and 15 don't have a lowest common multiple until you reach 195.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #20
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

If you want to fix it, do away with the wildcard and go back to two divisions in each league with the winners advancing the LCS.

The playoffs have suffered ever since the wildcard was instituted with the express intent of making the playoff races more interesting.

The races are now more interesting than the playoffs.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote