Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #381
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Man, what's going on with my Boggs?? His first 1,000 PA have been an absolute trainwreck:

Prior to picking him up, I had scouted that card extensively. One of the benefits of having three teams in different perfect leagues, is a large sample of data to draw from. I checked probably a dozen 89 Boggs cards, and over large samples, they always hit .270-.290 depending on park factors, with OBP from .340-.360. And yet here mine sits at .240/.320 with the ideal park factors. That's pathetic! He really needs to get his act together.

Last edited by chazzycat; 10-01-2019 at 12:29 PM.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #382
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Feeling pretty stupid right about now. I generally avoid packs, but on a whim I tried to "take advantage" of the diamond pack sale...and boy did that not work out. Of 11 packs I got 10 live diamonds, a few worth 7-8k tops, and the only historical was 91 Morgan Ensberg worth 6k. One historical gold (worth 3k) and nothing else. Just a total bloodbath. Ugh.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #383
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Got a little frustrated with myself and took a mini-break after that diamond pack debacle.

But after the dust settled and I sold off everything, I ended up with enough PP to make some impact moves. I finally got that 95 Charlie Gehringer I had my eyes on for so long, for about 25k. Also, last night I managed to snag a really nice bargain (I think) and picked up 96 Ty Cob for only 52k to replace Gwynn at DH. It was one of those auctions that ended in the middle of the night so I was a bit fortunate to get that deal.

So now for the first time ever I have an actual premium base-stealer on the SmallBallers. He's got the on-base skills vs RHP to maximize that speed. It's nice to know I won't have to worry about my leadoff spot ever again.

All three teams have a chance to make the playoffs this week, as of now. The SmallBallers are a lock, with a 12 game division lead. The SaberCats have a decent wild card lead, with 82% playoff odds at the moment, and just 1.5 back in the division. Last week they missed the playoffs by just 1 game. The Balancers are still nowhere near a GOOD team, but they were placed in a horrible division and so they actually have a shot. Currently 75% playoff odds...but I wouldn't be surprised if they falter. Their run differential is -14 on the season.

Last edited by chazzycat; 10-13-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #384
chazzycat
All Star Starter

All three teams are in the perfect playoffs! That's a first. The Balancers were pretty lucky to get there with just 88 wins, but they finished the season strong 9-1 to win the division.

The SmallBallers ended up with 99 games and another perfect division title. Gehringer chipped in 4 WAR so that seems to be working out. In game one of the DS, I was up against perfect Walsh, but my Santana outdueled him 1-0. The one run came from a triple by Lenny, who was knocked in by a Ty Cobb single.

The SaberCats had to settle for the wild card, but they survived the 1 game madness and are still alive. They had another fairly steady but unspectacular season, in line with the previous few with a run differential of about +70. Maddux & Glavine at the top of the rotation have been dominant. The offense had a typical season...some guys up and some down (these fairly dramatic swings seem common when relying on HR) but overall I led my league in HR by 30, which was enough for my offense overall to rank middle of the pack despite being dead last in AVG. My run prevention was 5th best overall, so that is still the strength, as it has been for a long time.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #385
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Both the SaberCats and Balancers lost in the division round, to much better teams.

But the SmallBallers put together another deep playoff run. About as deep as possible...game 7 of the WS...but they fell just short. Hank Aaron hit a grand slam against Johan Santana to seal my fate. That's ten straight playoff appearances since I made the upgrades a while back, and zero titles. Not that I'm counting or anything...

This season I've got the Washington Senators in my division so it looks like a wild card year. I'm excited to see what Ty Cobb can do in a full season, though.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:57 PM   #386
chazzycat
All Star Starter

For the past week and a half I've been somewhat consumed by my fourth team, over in the BFF league. In doing so, I think I stumbled across the secret to OOTP...stop checking your team! The SmallBallers and SaberCats are both having their best seasons EVER right now since I've been ignoring them.

The SmallBallers last season did win the wild card, as predicted. And it was another strong +200 year. But they got swept by the Senators in the playoffs.

This year, they look like the best team in their league, and that includes a megawhale. They've literally lost 1 game in June, including a 20-game winning streak, my best ever. Their division lead stands at 23 games. Ty Cobb has been a revelation, tearing up the league with an OBP over 400, and 110 steals since I acquired him.

Now, to be honest, a huge part of this is just luck from having only 1 true whale in the league. Furthermore, that whale has more of a power-build, with Ruth & Bonds types hitters. I've come to understand through these teams, that the makeup of the leagues each week plays a huge role in my chance of success.

The SaberCats, while not quite as dominant, are having a truly excellent season as well. Their run differential of +150 already is an all-time high, and it's just June. Pythag has been a bit unfortunate, at -8, but I'm hoping it won't matter, with a six game lead in the division. I'm guessing this pace is not completely sustainable, but they could fall off plenty in the second half and still make the playoffs.

Again with the SaberCats, I believe the makeup of the league is playing an important factor. There are a few whales in their league...very good teams - but they are contact-oriented. This seems to have the effect of leaving more homers for me, and my team is taking full advantage. I have noticed this before too. Like in the seasons I don't make the playoffs, usually I see 2-3 power based megawhales in the league that year. My theory is that there's got to be some number of homers allotted to the league or something...it seems like a zero-sum game. If someone else hits more homers, you get less.

This all brings me to the BFF league. This is a league organized over on Discord. It's FTP and with a rule that you can't sell historical gold+ cards you pull from packs. So it's not possible to pull a top card and finance your whole team.

I decided for this league, I would go with a SaberCats type build. Why, you might ask? There were a few reasons:

1) On Discord, there is a channel called roster advice, which I peruse sometimes. The advice there is pretty consistent, advocating for contact & defense. Which makes sense...I mean this thread is proof it works best. But the point is - I went into the league knowing that the community of players would most likely be going that direction.

2) Using the logic I mentioned above, I thought it might be possible to gain an advantage over the other teams by zigging while everyone else zagged. They could all fight over the singles & doubles allotted to the league, with diminishing returns, while I gobbled up the homers.

3) I could also save some PP by going for a different type of player, while the other 29 are bidding each other up.

4) My starter pack gold card was 81 Ian Kinsler. A second baseman with mediocre defense, but a little pop, seemed like a much better fit for Sabercat-style team. The homer factors would help him, and the lowered AVG factors would lessen the impact of his bad D.

So far, it seems to be working. I'm going for POW and EYE just like the SaberCats. I'm leading the league in homers by over 60 already around mid-season. My offense is ranked 7th overall. My team is in the middle of the division hunt in what seems like probably the toughest division in the league. And my roster, in terms of PP value, probably ranks close to last.

Several of the teams have either pulled really good cards from packs, or got some gold achievements to finance their teams. And a lot of the managers are really good at generating PP in the AH as well. So there's a pretty noticeable disparity across the league in roster values. I haven't been lucky on pulls or achievements, and my PP-generation skills are definitely lacking compared to the other players. It feels good though, to be in contention purely from my strategic choices (I think).

Unfortunately for me, some of the cards pulled so far include Trout, Judge & perfect Yaz. Additionally, 3 non-planned teams snuck into the league by mistake and they have more power than the BFF teams. So I didn't get quite the monopoly on power that I had hoped for. But still, it's been a blast watching all the dingers!

Last edited by chazzycat; 10-24-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #387
chazzycat
All Star Starter

For the Balancers, I've been employing the quasi-opener strategy now for 4.5 seasons, and my team record overall has been almost exactly .500.

The strangest thing is how awfully my "quasi openers" themselves are performing. It seems to me like there is a built in penalty for putting relievers as starters. Here's my stats for my 4 quasi-openers careers:

Three of the four cards are totally clean, i.e. 100% of their perfect-level stats are from the quasi-opener role. One of them pitched 1 season in perfect as a regular reliever.

Now, I'm not expecting a lot of strikeouts here. I'm definitely aware that stuff drops when you change an RP to SP. But look at those HR/9 numbers! These four pitchers have MOVEMENT ratings in the high 70s/low 80s. Those numbers are off the charts. And yes, the lowest (1.0) is from the guy whose stats include a season as a regular reliever. That year, his HR/9 was .3.

So, it kinda seems like either there is some kind of HR penalty for relievers posing as starters, or all four of these guys have been extremely unlucky for 300 innings.