Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
thehef
Hall Of Famer

historical - disable development & recalc

Trying to get a handle on something…

In the Historical League Creation Wizard - Step 4 out of 6, under Player Development, the following options are in the drop-down:

- Recalc player ratings before each season using real stats
- Use talent ratings and OOTP development engine
- Disable player development (recommended for replay leagues)

My understanding is that Recalc and Disable are not mutually exclusive, in that – regardless of initial settings in the Wizard - you can later, for example, enable Player Development via the checkbox on the Player & Picture Options screen, and enable Recalc player ratings based on real stats after each year via the checkbox on the League Setup/Historical screen, and that by doing so you would be allowing players some development (the amount of which based upon the randomness and other settings) during the year, but they would be Recalc’d before the next season. Right?

Any insight anyone could provide on this would be appreciated… And, a related question: Beyond perhaps the initial year, does it matter what the Wizard setting for this was if you change Disable & Recalc later? In other words, assuming the above paragraph is true, if I start a league in 1901, would it matter in 1950 what my intitial/Wizard devel/recalc settings were if I have changed these settings sometime after 1901?

Thanks in advance.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
jtravers88
Bat Boy

I would also like to know what is the point of putting money in Player Development if you have Recalc checked?

I'm playing an historical game with no fictional players. I have recalc checked. So wouldn't all player ratings be 'redone' every year which nullifies player development?
jtravers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
captaincarl
Hall Of Famer

I am using the recalc before each season based on real stats with player development off in my Red Sox 1969+ journal here at the site (shameless plug here). The Red Sox player's stats have been close to actual RL stats, which is showing me that either a) I am the worst manager of all-time or b) Dick Williams & Eddie Kasko did a great job in keeping the team above .500. I recalc for 1 year which is great for historical play/replay.

The year-to-year ratings would be based on your CURRENT settings at the time the game switches to the next season.

In answer to jtravers' questions, if you are playing a historical game with no fictional players, then player development should, IMO, be turned off if you want it to be close to RL. The only time that I feel that you should have player development on is when you are using the most recent year rosters and going from there into the future. Also, the answer is yes, the players will be 'redone' every year if you have recalc checked.

I am also using the RL starting lineups and transactions.

Last edited by captaincarl; 02-03-2012 at 04:58 AM.
captaincarl is offline   Reply With Quote