Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #401
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Astros players (and owner) should just shut their ****ing mouths. The more they pop off the more shady and moronic they sound. POS like Reddick, McCullers and Correa can suck one and choke on it.

I hate the part of the game of beaning people on purpose. I don't want to watch WWE. But these guys really don't deserve any type of sympathy if that happens to them.

Last edited by Rizon; 02-19-2020 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Had to add one more POS
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:01 PM   #402
neugey
All Star Reserve

Wonder if Manfred should say he's given it some thought and put it to a vote to vacate the 2017 and 2018 titles (presuming the Red Sox info is pretty substantial). 2/3 of the MLB owners and/or 2/3 of MLBPA members agree to vacate, then vacate those titles.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #403
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Had Manfred had the foresight and stones, he would've taken the attitude of giving the middle finger to both the MLBPA and the owners, and taken whatever measures - such as suspension - "for the integrity of the game," and he instantly would've had both the public and the media on his side.

That said, barring something unusual or something new coming out, the ship for punishing players has sailed. Same for vacating the 2017 title. But I just wonder where Manfred goes from here. I also wonder if Manfred and MLBPA might be sorta on the same side right now from the perspective of "how do we deal with this sh*tshow?" And I'd think the MLBPA would be strongly advocating that the Astros' players either change their tune and appear contrite, or at least just shut up. But so far it seems that nobody is serious about damage control.

At any rate, if you were Manfred right now and couldn't go back in time - meaning, primarily, you can't nullify immunity agreements - what steps would you take?
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:24 PM   #404
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Had Manfred had the foresight and stones, he would've taken the attitude of giving the middle finger to both the MLBPA and the owners, and taken whatever measures - such as suspension - "for the integrity of the game," and he instantly would've had both the public and the media on his side.

That said, barring something unusual or something new coming out, the ship for punishing players has sailed. Same for vacating the 2017 title. But I just wonder where Manfred goes from here. I also wonder if Manfred and MLBPA might be sorta on the same side right now from the perspective of "how do we deal with this sh*tshow?" And I'd think the MLBPA would be strongly advocating that the Astros' players either change their tune and appear contrite, or at least just shut up. But so far it seems that nobody is serious about damage control.

At any rate, if you were Manfred right now and couldn't go back in time - meaning, primarily, you can't nullify immunity agreements - what steps would you take?

I'd resign.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #405
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
I'd resign.
Haha

I'll rephrase:

At any rate, if you were Manfred right now and couldn't go back in time - meaning, primarily, you can't nullify immunity agreements - what realistic steps would you take?
Old 02-19-2020, 04:39 PM   #406
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

So, if the Astros legitimately win the WS in 2020, what's the reaction going to be like?

Will accusations of cheating come flooding out again?

Will fans still believe it's tainted, even with no proof of cheating?

This is still a good team, and certainly capable of winning again. Be interesting to see the reaction.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:46 PM   #407
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
So, if the Astros legitimately win the WS in 2020, what's the reaction going to be like?

Undeniably some would claim more cheating
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #408
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Haha

I'll rephrase:

At any rate, if you were Manfred right now and couldn't go back in time - meaning, primarily, you can't nullify immunity agreements - what realistic steps would you take?
Admit I blew it.

I'd say something along the lines of "We wanted to know exactly what happened so that we could prevent it in the future. We prioritized information. But in retrospect, we should have put more emphasis on maintaining the integrity of the season, the league and the game. To make sure we maintain the perception of a level playing field to all onlookers and those employed in our league. And foremost, that anyone who would damage that perception would face discipline that would prevent anyone from ever considering taking similar liberties."

"We failed. And I will take full blame for my part in not making sure that was the utmost consideration in our investigation. No matter how sound we thought our reasoning was, it has become obviously clear by reactions from our fans, players & others around the league that we dropped the ball on this one. "

"I know the MLBPA maintains this is a violation that can't be penalized. But I urge them to listen to their own members, their fans, our paying customers and their own conscience. Then work with us so together we can take cheating out of our game. To hold ourselves to a higher standard of fair play. And show that all parties in our game, whether on the field, in the dugout, in our front offices, the league offices or the owner's box, will no longer further tolerate anyone compromising fair competition and integrity in America's pastime."
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016

Last edited by Cobra Mgr; 02-19-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #409
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Admit I blew it.

I'd say something along the lines of "We wanted to know exactly what happened so that we could prevent it in the future. We prioritized information. But in retrospect, we should have put more emphasis on maintaining the integrity of the season, the league and the game. To make sure we maintain the perception of a level playing field to all onlookers and those employed in our league. And foremost, that anyone who would damage that perception would face discipline that would prevent anyone from ever considering taking similar liberties."

"We failed. And I will take full blame for my part in not making sure that was the utmost consideration in our investigation. No matter how sound we thought our reasoning was, it has become obviously clear by reactions from our fans, players & others around the league that we dropped the ball on this one. "

"I know the MLBPA maintains this is a violation that can't be penalized. But I urge them to listen to their own members, their fans, our paying customers and their own conscience. Then work with us so together we can take cheating out of our game. To hold ourselves to a higher standard of fair play. And show that all parties in our game, whether on the field, in the dugout, in our front offices, the league offices or the owner's box, will no longer further tolerate anyone compromising fair competition and integrity in America's pastime."
You should send that to Manfred
Old 02-19-2020, 06:15 PM   #410
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

You should really all get it out of your heads that any titles will be vacated. That would leave a permanent scar on the game that is in nobody's interest, just like that dismal '94 season, and who won that World Seri- oh, right.

Much like half the crowd will vote at least some steroid sluggers into the Hall of Fame now, this will have grass grown over it in ten, five, or even three years.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:38 PM   #411
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Manfred is losing bad in the court of public opinion.

Had he pushed against the union for punishment, wouldn't the union have lost big time in the court of public opinion? And maybe decided its greater duty was to the innocent.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #412
CBeisbol
Banned

Manfred works for the owners
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:16 PM   #413
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Positive public opinion is what makes the owners money.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #414
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
You should really all get it out of your heads that any titles will be vacated. That would leave a permanent scar on the game that is in nobody's interest, just like that dismal '94 season, and who won that World Seri- oh, right.
I don't know that anybody here is seriously thinking that vacating a title is still an option. Some think it should have been an option... And some, including me, think that an asterisk should still be considered...

Regardless, this is going horribly for Manfred. He may never admit it, but I'm sure he's having second thoughts about some elements of both the punishments given, and the PR aspect since that point in time...
Old 02-19-2020, 08:47 PM   #415
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
Positive public opinion is what makes the owners money.
I suspect the owners think that all this talk about the BlackStros' cheating is still talk about baseball, and thus ultimately good for the financial aspect of the game, which now has a new villain team, and new villain players. And villains sell. Time will tell...
Old 02-19-2020, 09:54 PM   #416
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post

This is still a good team, and certainly capable of winning again. Be interesting to see the reaction.
I would probably think it's legit as I think there will be too many eyes on what they do this season. But that's also why I think they will fail.
How do we know how good the Astros really are?
I find it hard to believe the Astros cheated in 17, won the world series and just stopped. I find it more likely they tried other ways of cheating.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:07 PM   #417
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post

Much like half the crowd will vote at least some steroid sluggers into the Hall of Fame now, this will have grass grown over it in ten, five, or even three years.
If the players had offered honest apologies or even offered to return the championship, they may have saved some respect. But now as long as they live even their peers are gonna consider them to be phony champions. The game will move on and so will they but I think they will be silent outcasts. Not as much for the cheating but more so because they basically got away with it. Most everyone outside of Houston fans will consider the championship tainted.
That will be an endless struggle for them to prove wrong. I'm not sure if they can and maybe that is their punishment.
On the other hand it may get more people watching baseball this year. Or at least the Astros.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:08 PM   #418
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I suspect the owners think that all this talk about the BlackStros' cheating is still talk about baseball, and thus ultimately good for the financial aspect of the game, which now has a new villain team, and new villain players. And villains sell. Time will tell...
I have multiple friends that said why would they bother watching baseball anymore. Granted, they rarely watched outside of the postseason, so take it for what it's worth. Remains to be seen if they remember to be mad come October also
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:00 AM   #419
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sure that for a while the Astros will sell extra tickets on the road.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:09 AM   #420
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Admit I blew it.
LOL. Easy for you to give that advice.