Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 06-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
CM_Balkoth
Minors (Triple A)

Realistic Settings

Wasn't sure exactly what area to post this in, so hopefully I picked correctly. I've been out on workers comp with a back injury for a few weeks and I've been attempting to teach myself the different sabermetric formulas etc. and I've been looking to get a better understanding of the advanced stats. Anyways, I'm looking to do a play through that's as realistic as I can possibly get it, settings wise. Basically relying as much on stats and scouting as possible and attempting to make the AI as true to life as I can. Problem is, I really don't know where to start.

Hopefully I'm explaining this well enough. Thanks in advance.
CM_Balkoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

I think many people want to know this as well. I put up a guide on the game's OOTP19 Steam community page. Go to "Guides" and you will see one named Setting Up A Historical Game. I was thinking about taking this down and updating it, but it will provide some reference for you hopefully.
Garlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
CM_Balkoth
Minors (Triple A)

Definitely going to look at that guide, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CM_Balkoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
battists
Hall Of Famer

Hey there!

Well, I think with OOTP, as always, a lot depends on what kind of game you are trying to play. If you're looking to do a modern MLB league, the general idea is that the default game has the most realistic settings, although I'm sure some people tweak those settings quite a bit.

One thing that I do is play "mostly stats." What I mean is, out of the box you get all kinds of ratings for each player. And to be honest, it's SUPER easy to fall in the trap of completely relying on those numbers, especially the overall/overall potential numbers, when you look at the game, instead of actually looking at the stats to understand how a player is performing.

So in my league, I have turned off the following ratings:
  • Current Ratings Scale
  • Potential Ratings Scale
  • Current Ratings

This means I can see player overall potential ratings. I can also see their ancillary ratings like speed, baserunning, etc. I can read their scouting reports. And I can see the pitches in a pitcher's arsenal.

But I CAN'T see their individual ratings like contact, power, or particular pitch ratings. Personally, I feel this is more realistic. Some may argue that in real life, there actually ARE player ratings. But my understanding is that those ratings are primarily used during the amateur scouting process, not during day to day baseball during the season.

That said, it's . . . definitely more difficult to play this way. You really have to look closely at statistics to understand how a player is performing.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
endgame
Hall Of Famer

btasty, I’ve toyed with this idea for decades and still haven’t pulled the trigger. Closest I got I think was hiding the overalls. Would you mind posting a screenshot of a player profile in your league? It’d help to get an impression, please. Thank you.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
btasty, I’ve toyed with this idea for decades and still haven’t pulled the trigger. Closest I got I think was hiding the overalls. Would you mind posting a screenshot of a player profile in your league? It’d help to get an impression, please. Thank you.
Here's a pitcher:

Here's a batter:
Old 07-20-2019, 11:03 PM   #7
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Oh my goodness. That’s daunting.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #8
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Oh my goodness. That’s daunting.

Eh, it can be. But it also makes you realize how much of a crutch the ratings are.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
adamj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Eh, it can be. But it also makes you realize how much of a crutch the ratings are.

When you play this way, what do you use for AI evaluation settings? Do you stick with the defaults? For a fictional league, I believe the defaults are 30/50/15/5.
adamj is offline   Reply With Quote