Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #1
Rumplebeanskin
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Just installed FHM5, can't start new game?

I just took the plunge on FHM 5 with the Stanley Cup sale. Downloaded through Steam, and loaded up. When I go to start a new standard game, I type my file name, and get the following:

"ERROR! Could not open game folder"

If I try and create a new historical game, I can access the initial set up menu to pick a year etc. once I try to advance the game crashes. Presumably because the game can't see the files it needs to load.

After a brief search, the issue sounds somewhat similar to the one documented in this thread: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=296912

I think the problem is the same. For other games I have installed in steam, my documents folder has a folder for the games in question. There's nothing in there for FHM.

I've been into steam and made sure Beta involvement is off, and I've also verified the integrity of the game files. I'm also running steam as the admin.

I've tried following the steps to create the folders manually in the Documents folder, but despite everything I try, they remain as Read Only files. This may be the issue? However, it hasn't been an issue with other steam games that I've installed. They're still marked as Read Only and working fine.

I'm on a Dell Laptop, with Windows 7 installed.

I'm a little bit stuck on this one though, and really would rather enjoy the game than try and get a refund. Any help appreciated!

Thanks!
Rumplebeanskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
Rumplebeanskin
Minors (Rookie Ball)

As an update, and sorry for the double post....

I've booted up the game, gone to the options menu, then trouble shooting.

If I press "Open Trace File", nothing happens.

If I press "Open Customisable Data Folder", nothing happens.

If I press "Open Settings Folder", a folder does open! It's the config folder, with a settings.dat file and a workshop_items_447589205.dat file in there.

If I go back to see where the folder is located, all the folders I think the game needs, config, database, facegen, logo, logo_templates etc, are all there. The path is a bit strange though, C:\Users\Ian Cawthorne\AppData\Roaming\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 5

Maybe that helps? Hopefully?! Haha
Old 06-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

It's almost certainly Windows User Account control preventing the game from writing to the save folder, that's why you're getting the error when it tries to create the game. Try exiting the Steam client, then running it again by right-clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator" and then launch FHM5. If that doesn't work, try going directly to the FHM5.exe (likely in C:\Program Files (x86)\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 5 unless you changed the installation location) and doing the right-click, run-as-admin from there.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
Rumplebeanskin
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
It's almost certainly Windows User Account control preventing the game from writing to the save folder, that's why you're getting the error when it tries to create the game. Try exiting the Steam client, then running it again by right-clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator" and then launch FHM5. If that doesn't work, try going directly to the FHM5.exe (likely in C:\Program Files (x86)\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 5 unless you changed the installation location) and doing the right-click, run-as-admin from there.
No luck on either front I'm afraid, but I was hopeful. It's like the game has been installed in one place, but is then looking somewhere else when I come to try and start a game.

I've been into Windows User Account settings and the slider is set as low as possible, which is pretty much off I believe.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
Rumplebeanskin
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Double post again.......

I went into the Windows User Account settings and turned them up to full so I'd be notified when any programme was wanting to make a change.

I then ran Steam as admin. I got a pop-up from WUA asking if that was ok as Steam was trying to edit files on my computer, I said yes. I ran FHM5 through Steam, but no success.

I then ran FHM5 separately as admin through an explorer window, and received the popup from WUA asking if that was ok. I said yes, but no luck.

The only thing I did notice, when the pop up appeared for FHM directly, the directory it said it was looking to edit was where FHM is installed (the folder inside the general Steam install, steamapps/common/Franchise Hockey Manager 5) , not the Documents folder. No idea if that is relevant, but thought I'd report it!
Old 06-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #6
Rumplebeanskin
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I went to the FHM website and got the downloader for the game to install it that way, to see if the installer might put some files onto my PC that Steam wasn't.

It installed fine, but I don't have a serial number to play the game that way as I purchased a steam key. Also, it didn't help in any way as the issue still persists.

I'm now out of ideas. It's been pretty much a day and a half of trying stuff and I'm no further.

Last edited by Rumplebeanskin; 06-07-2019 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
JeffR
FHM Producer

If you don't mind using that standalone version, I can get you a key for it. But there's one other possible cause I can think of for the Steam issue: does your Windows username have any non-English characters in it? Steam can behave oddly when it runs into that while trying to write to that specific location, our tech support gets a lot of Korean and Taiwanese people playing OOTP that have that issue, and the usual solution is to install it to a custom location that avoids that name in the file path.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #8
Rumplebeanskin
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm afraid not, I'm as bog standard, northern England white British as they come.

I'll happily try the standalone version to see if the issues are still there or not. One thing I did notice when I did install the standalone was that in the game's folders were some things I'd not seen in the steam version, such as a Debug folder. That might be useful if issues do persist!
Old 06-09-2019, 05:13 AM   #9
Rumplebeanskin
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
If you don't mind using that standalone version, I can get you a key for it. But there's one other possible cause I can think of for the Steam issue: does your Windows username have any non-English characters in it? Steam can behave oddly when it runs into that while trying to write to that specific location, our tech support gets a lot of Korean and Taiwanese people playing OOTP that have that issue, and the usual solution is to install it to a custom location that avoids that name in the file path.
Do you need anything further from me to progress this? Should be back at my computer tomorrow some time so eager to keep trying to find a solution, if there is one!
Old 06-10-2019, 03:25 AM   #10
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplebeanskin View Post
Do you need anything further from me to progress this? Should be back at my computer tomorrow some time so eager to keep trying to find a solution, if there is one!
Check your PM's, I've sent you one with instructions on getting the standalone one working.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:52 AM   #11
Rumplebeanskin
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Nope, no luck. Man, that's frustrating. I was really hoping that would do the trick as well.

I still have nothing in my Document folder. That is probably the issue, but I've also no idea how to correct it. Running the standalone programme in Admin mode doesn't sort it, and I've no idea where I'd even start with this one now or what is blocking it. Windows User Accounts Control settings are at their lowest setting, so in theory that should be off and not causing an issue?

I could manually create the folders in my Documents, but if the game itself can't write to the folder to create the stuff needed, I'd imagine it'll have no luck reading/writing the stuff even if it's already there.

When I'm in the stand alone programme, putting Debug Mode on and trying to open the Trace File still does nothing. Pressing the Customizable Data folder button still does nothing, and the Settings folder button still works, and still takes me to the following: C:\Users\Ian Cawthorne\AppData\Roaming\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 5\config

The new game I tried to make before getting the "ERROR! Could not open game folder" prompt has been created as a folder in the Program Files (x86)/Out of the Park Developments/Franchise Hockey Manager 5 folder, but the folder is empty.

Appreciate the continued support with this one, it isn't proving easy!
Old 06-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #12
Rumplebeanskin
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Fixed!

Well, it appears to be working anyway. Using the standalone installer, when specifying the installation path, there are a few lines I'd not seen previously:

"Default folders are the system folders recommended by Microsoft. The programme files will be saved in /program files, the data files will be saved in /users/.../documents and so on. If you choose to install FHM to another folder all program files, data files and saved games will be installed to that folder and its subfolders."

As I was having serious issues with the rights to the documents and user folders, I figured I'd specify a new install path (which I hadn't done previously, I had just left it default as so not to complicate any troubleshooting).

When I went to load the game up, I got a "Copying Files" screen that I hadn't had previously, and now we appear to be in working order.

Most excellent. Only took me 3 days haha!
Old 06-12-2019, 04:30 AM   #13
JeffR
FHM Producer

Yeah, must have been something unusual in one of the default filepaths that was doing it, and that fixed it. Good to hear you got it working.