Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #161
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Woo! Already have 13/16 Milwaukee Braves.

Not So Woo! The prices of what I need will probably take me 6 months of PP now
Old 07-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #162
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Collections is one of those things that should be more fun than it is.

If you have a bunch of cards towards a mission and are trying to complete it then buying your missing cards can be a good deal. But I find for my historical teams - the ones that don't open a lot of packs - if I see a collection reward I like, I'm starting from scratch. And when you do that, buying the cards seems almost always more expensive than just buying the reward outright. As much fun as the collecting might be, I can't justify paying 2...5...10k PP more than I have to just to get one card.

It makes me a little sad, but I'm not sure anything can be done about it (other than being incredibly patient and trying to work the AH).
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #163
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Ultimate Team solved this a long time ago even if the gameplay itself is lousy and EA screws other things up. The SBCs are probably the most fun part of the game.

1) Reward packs instead of points. One of the biggest problems is that there is simply no incentive to buy packs in this game which keeps supply of cards very low. Aside from the two free packs per week and some people trying to do pack only teams, new cards are not getting into the economy.

2) Allow more options instead of a set list of requirements to avoid price-fixed bottlenecks. A FIFA squad building challenge might require 11 players with an overall rating of 86 and at least three have to be a certain nationality, or something like that. For a few high end collections that reward real perfect level players this is fine, but the vast majority of collections cost way more than the reward is worth since you need to get everything.

I've done maybe 5 total missions that reward a pack and only required a small number of the eligible cards. Those were fun. Everything else I'm mildly interested in I check out then see you need some bronze historical that has one copy on the market for 3K. yuck.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #164
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post

If you have a bunch of cards towards a mission and are trying to complete it then buying your missing cards can be a good deal. But I find for my historical teams - the ones that don't open a lot of packs - if I see a collection reward I like, I'm starting from scratch. And when you do that, buying the cards seems almost always more expensive than just buying the reward outright. As much fun as the collecting might be, I can't justify paying 2...5...10k PP more than I have to just to get one card.

It makes me a little sad, but I'm not sure anything can be done about it (other than being incredibly patient and trying to work the AH).
yeah, not a lot of reward cards that fit my theme, so only way I'd complete those is if I randomly obtained all the cards through free packs.... on the missions where the reward does fit the theme, I completed a few of them where I could obtain the necessary cards for less than the price of the reward in the AH... couple of 'em were super affordable that way versus the AH reward card price...
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #165
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

If a collection takes me 2 or 3 weeks, I don’t mind having spent more PP (to a point) than buying the SE, because slowly completing it is a fun & ongoing experience.

I’ve only completed.... 5 major missions though (ie. card reward+)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #166
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You do know that the individual cards for a mission must always come at higher cost than the mission reward, right?

Maybe for a tiny moment at the point a new mission goes live (which apparently was on display today) the component cards will be cheaper than the estimated value of the reward. But as more people get into buying cards to get the reward, the price goes up due to demand. And there's 10k+ accounts in PT 20, so that is a lot of demand for, say, 1986 Bob Ojedas.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #167
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Furthermore, the business opportunists will take advantage(trust me, these mofos work as hard on the market as MLB pitchers work on their pitching mechanics) of the short time frame to jack up the price of the components until it is at least +-0 of the mission reward.

Edit: Did not think it thoroughly, the move for first few days is always overpricing the cards, so +-0 is definitely not the minimum.

Last edited by Goliathus; 07-22-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #168
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
You do know that the individual cards for a mission must always come at higher cost than the mission reward, right?

Maybe for a tiny moment at the point a new mission goes live (which apparently was on display today) the component cards will be cheaper than the estimated value of the reward. But as more people get into buying cards to get the reward, the price goes up due to demand. And there's 10k+ accounts in PT 20, so that is a lot of demand for, say, 1986 Bob Ojedas.
The more I think about it the more I think the cost of the collection cards might not even relate to the price of the reward. Because the reward isn't always commensurate (in card value) to the ingredients. Like when you are required to pay 10k PP for the cards to get a 69 OVR Greg Gagne (or whatever he is).

So that's the situation where the reward is worth less (or even a lot less) than the component cards. Is there ever a situation where the reward would be worth more (a lot more?) than the component cards?

I'm not sure that situation could exist - the component cards would just get driven up in price.

Also: is there really a demand for Bob Ojeda? I have one I will sell in a heartbeat if so!
Old 07-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #169
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

several of the ones rewarding packs are "worth" more than the component cards
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #170
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

I hope that the end game for collections is to have every single card in game be a part of at least one mission.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #171
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
Finished out the LIVE A's collection to get the 94 Eddie Plank... I'm not sure whether Plank will go into the rotation or the bullpen, but he'll get some use for sure.
I'm sure that this 94 Eddie Plank card is performing well for some, but it has been an unmitigated disaster so far for me. The card performance and card ratings seem to come from two totally unrelated universes.

I tried Plank in the rotation last week and he got 10 starts to the tune of a 5.77 ERA. Put him in the bullpen for the playoffs and he pitched 1 inning and gave up 4 runs.

Decided to put him in long relief this season and not give up on him too quickly, but he's made 4 relief appearances and has a 24.00 ERA and 4.34 WHIP. He has yet to make a relief appearance without giving up at least 3 runs. His ratings are 91/82/70 as a relief pitcher so it's disappointing and unexpected. Very disappointing. Especially considering that Matt Chapman has gone perfect again, but he's locked to my team...that opportunity cost tho.

Plank is suffering from a .576 BABIP right now, but I'm starting to get a little antsy nonetheless.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #172
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post

This assumes that the PT economy responds quickly enough to make all the collection card reward prices equal their component price. But this is not the case in general. On Friday I found a LIVE series collection that had a reward I wanted. I overpaid compared to the 7 day averages for basically every card in that set, some by as much as 1kPP, and I still ended up getting that card collection reward at a discount of like 7-10k. The real issue is that collections cards are not very competitive in most cases, which makes the collections not worth it. But the economy here is not responsive enough to account for those few exceptions, especially with LIVE card values and prices fluctuating from week to week and the reward prices staying fixed for the most part. Plus there is the time cost of completing the collection, which has real value.

EDIT: To clarify, the only head start I got on this collection was about 10 low-OVR bronze and iron LIVE series cards which are not in other pack collections. So maybe a 500 PP head start if you're generous. The arbitrage opportunities can be there if you look for them in the right place.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks

Last edited by QuantaCondor; 07-22-2019 at 07:39 PM.
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:09 PM   #173
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Quote:
So that's the situation where the reward is worth less (or even a lot less) than the component cards. Is there ever a situation where the reward would be worth more (a lot more?) than the component cards?

I'm not sure that situation could exist - the component cards would just get driven up in price.

Also: is there really a demand for Bob Ojeda? I have one I will sell in a heartbeat if so!

Business opportunists driven those card prices up is pretty much the reason why we don't get a lot of +EV situations. The reward worth more than the component cards situation is really there only if you had some key cards for cheap before the missions are available, like me having Wang for a long time makes Kuo very affordable. I am sure the hardcore fans of a team who are already working on a team-based theme team are also rewarded this way.

Aside from those situations, not really. The closest is probably the pack missions for being easy to do.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #174
Charlatan
All Star Starter

With the promotion of Kris Bryant to perfect, it has officially become un-economic to do the live Cubs mission. I had all but 2 of the live Cubs (was missing Contreras and Kimbrel). With Bryant going to Perfect and Rizzo going to Diamond, and the reward card (Hippo Vaughn) selling for around 20k, I insta-sold the two of them (don't hate me!) and got the reward.

There's two more missions I'm working on, and I've already decided I'm purchasing the reward for one of them outright. With the last one, it's unclear whether it'll be cheaper to get the component cards or whether buying the reward is better - with this last collection there is one card I would probably use on my team, so it seems that might swing the pendulum towards buying the individual cards for the mission.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:39 PM   #175
STLRS95
All Star Reserve

Just completed this one. Getting close to being able to field an all SE team.
Attached Images
Old 07-26-2019, 08:16 AM   #176
Marleigh
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Ultimate Team solved this a long time ago even if the gameplay itself is lousy and EA screws other things up. The SBCs are probably the most fun part of the game.

1) Reward packs instead of points. One of the biggest problems is that there is simply no incentive to buy packs in this game which keeps supply of cards very low. Aside from the two free packs per week and some people trying to do pack only teams, new cards are not getting into the economy.

2) Allow more options instead of a set list of requirements to avoid price-fixed bottlenecks. A FIFA squad building challenge might require 11 players with an overall rating of 86 and at least three have to be a certain nationality, or something like that. For a few high end collections that reward real perfect level players this is fine, but the vast majority of collections cost way more than the reward is worth since you need to get everything.

I've done maybe 5 total missions that reward a pack and only required a small number of the eligible cards. Those were fun. Everything else I'm mildly interested in I check out then see you need some bronze historical that has one copy on the market for 3K. yuck.
This is spot on, i also played a lot of UT and there was far more incentive to open packs. Can clearly see which way this market is going because far more points than cards are being introduced daily the market will always be inflated. getting gold packs for gold achievements and normal packs for silver achievements would be a good start i think.

Marleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:25 PM   #177
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Anyone know about how much it would cost to buy the Yankees LIVE Collection for the Special Rickey versus buying him outright?
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:05 PM   #178
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
Anyone know about how much it would cost to buy the Yankees LIVE Collection for the Special Rickey versus buying him outright?
This answer will change between now and 1 August

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #179
Charlatan
All Star Starter

I don't understand Dogberry's answer (unless he's hinting that Judge will hit 100) but assuming you started with no Yankees, my back-of-the-envelope calculation is that you'd spend around 89k.

If you are considering it, I'd look to get Judge since it does appear he could hit 100. Unless you overpay like crazy there's very little downside to getting the card now while you think about it.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:23 PM   #180
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I don't understand Dogberry's answer (unless he's hinting that Judge will hit 100)
The Yankees would be likely to trade for players leading up to the July 31 trade deadline. This would add to the cost of completing the Yankees Live collection.