Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

How to set up financials for a parallel Major League

I'm into my 16 team fictional league and I have decided that I want a second ML to rise from the west. Eventually over time they may join, but for now I want them to compete for free agents. I want the new league to start off far below the level of income of the old league.

What I have done so far is limited the stadium capacity, baseline attendance, and ticket price baseline for the new league. I made the media contract baseline's the same as the old league. But, I have set all the market sizes to 0. I want this league to gradually evolve into a money making league.

What I am having trouble figuring out is should I set the player demands the same as the old league? I know the minimum should be lower because I don't want the teams spending all their money on just minimum contracts. I am wondering about the good players and up. I don't want a good player to take less money in the new league because he's getting "superstar" money, where in the old league average players are making that much.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:08 AM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
I'm into my 16 team fictional league and I have decided that I want a second ML to rise from the west. Eventually over time they may join, but for now I want them to compete for free agents. I want the new league to start off far below the level of income of the old league.

What I have done so far is limited the stadium capacity, baseline attendance, and ticket price baseline for the new league. I made the media contract baseline's the same as the old league. But, I have set all the market sizes to 0. I want this league to gradually evolve into a money making league.

What I am having trouble figuring out is should I set the player demands the same as the old league? I know the minimum should be lower because I don't want the teams spending all their money on just minimum contracts. I am wondering about the good players and up. I don't want a good player to take less money in the new league because he's getting "superstar" money, where in the old league average players are making that much.
When i started the EBL I set everything to 1973. I am know at 1992 settings and the EBL loses out on major FA's because of the $$ that they can get in modern MLB or CBF which is set to 2002, so I dont think setting the player demands lower will get any good FA's to go to the 2nd league.
In some ways it's cool that the best players will not sign with the EBL in other ways it makes it a challenge not to have a AAA league.
How is the market size of 0 working out? I have plans for a 2nd league like the PCL challenging my ABF league starting in 1920 and merging in 1960. Also have plans for an American League starting in 2010 and seeing what happens.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
When i started the EBL I set everything to 1973. I am know at 1992 settings and the EBL loses out on major FA's because of the $$ that they can get in modern MLB or CBF which is set to 2002, so I dont think setting the player demands lower will get any good FA's to go to the 2nd league.
In some ways it's cool that the best players will not sign with the EBL in other ways it makes it a challenge not to have a AAA league.
How is the market size of 0 working out? I have plans for a 2nd league like the PCL challenging my ABF league starting in 1920 and merging in 1960. Also have plans for an American League starting in 2010 and seeing what happens.
The 0 market size works perfect. Those teams get around 4-5 mil in media and the older league teams get from 50 to 100 mil. It really works to set the media contract baseline's the same.

One issue I am having is players demanding and signing for crazy contracts in either league when their ratings and performance doesn't match up. Could it be an issue with the ratings relative to the league selected? I wonder if they think that they are great in the newer league so they should get paid as great in the old league.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Trebro
All Star Reserve

In my experiencevtesting multi leagues with different budgets and pay structure, the lower leagues always had a Ralph Kiner type they were paying way more than rest of team. Never figured out how to mitigate that in a free agent environment.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Part of this is going to depend on what the aspirations of your west league are. Are they trying to become the equal of your east league, or eventually want a merger? Or are they going to be OK carving out their niche in the west?

If it's the former, you might want to set them lower but still close in financials to the east league, with the top teams in the second league being the equal of the top league's midpoint, and the west's superstars' salaries being the equal (or darn close) of the east's superstars' salaries, but the salaries for all the other levels lagging behind. That way you will have fewer guys on top salaries in your west league than your east league. For more realism, you might consider having league jumpers in which guys in the 11-25 range of top players in the east jump to the west league for a top 10 level salary.

If the west is happy carving out their own niche, then you will want to put some more distance between the two, and one way to do that is by making the west league an independent minor league at the AAA level. In this scenario, you might have lower level league jumpers in which bench players in the east jump to the west for starting jobs and better paychecks.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote