Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
le receveur
All Star Starter

Need help with player Morale understanding

My no.1 catcher is Very Unhappy about his role on the team.

Name:  notal.PNG
Views: 647
Size:  301.3 KB

So he has played in 44 of our 51 games. Started the last 5 days. Gets all the catching duty, as per his request, even though no.2 has better D number. I have check, he does not get replaced late in game (backup only has 8 games)....
he is listed as 100% so it's not being tired. i actually forced a day off, he still he very unhappy. what else should i look at. we will have to start negotiating soon since we would like him long term....
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Is he in the starting slot both vs RHP and vs LHP in all your depth charts? Has he been the whole year? If he's being platooned, that can make him unhappy. And if you're giving him playing time by inserting him into games manually, but he isn't at the top of your depth charts, he'll think he's not in the starting lineup even if he actually is starting most days.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

I wouldn't worry about it

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #4
nebradska
Minors (Triple A)

Love the nickname.

Also, what spot is he in your lineup?
nebradska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebradska View Post
Love the nickname.

He may be unhappy about his batting slot. It usually shows though. Is he being replaced defensively?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebradska View Post
Love the nickname.

he is batting 3rd or 4th depending on L/R matchup (AI managed)
he has not been replaced in games once.

im not really worried, i'm just trying to understand, and mainly convince myself i am ok with the AI managing DTD.... when i saw the rating i went to check all these... so it really left me puzzled..

at least the nickname works for a change. :-)
Old 12-16-2013, 02:26 AM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Being unhappy is not necessarily a bad thing. I've had great players unhappy for seasons.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 12-16-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand why you are worried about it

Last edited by jazzrack; 12-16-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #9
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Being unhappy is not necessarily a bad thing. I've had great players unhappy for seasons.

thanks... just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something....
Old 12-16-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrack View Post
I don't understand why you are worried about it, when he is , I dunno, normal.. then worry about it

ok. i just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something the AI was doing to my roster, working to a medium between what i want to do (macro level) and making sure my AGM (AI) doesn't ruin everything ,,, and yes i did think it was weird the sum of all was Great.. :-)
Old 12-16-2013, 02:59 AM   #11
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
ok. i just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something the AI was doing to my roster, working to a medium between what i want to do (macro level) and making sure my AGM (AI) doesn't ruin everything ,,, and yes i did think it was weird the sum of all was Great.. :-)
sorry you got to it before I edited it, I did not mean to come off so ... snarky. it was funny in my head. not so much on the screen

Last edited by jazzrack; 12-16-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Unhappy means he may not sign an extension, not that he will play badly.

RichW

Old 12-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
JPL86
Minors (Double A)

Could it be that his expectation is "Starting Lineup", and you are batting him 3rd/4th (middle of the Lineup)?

Maybe at a young age he is not happy with the pressure of hitting in the 3/4 hole.

Just a thought?
JPL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't understand why you are worried about it

Because something within the game may not be functioning as it should...that is one reason to be concerned.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
sorry you got to it before I edited it, I did not mean to come off so ... snarky. it was funny in my head. not so much on the screen
no problem. actually didn't think you were snarky... i'm just trying to see the interrelation between all the entries....i was really worried that he was being overused by the manager (and again a problem with letting AI manage), but giving him days off has not changed his mood.. so i will let him go, and see how the negotiation go in the off-season....
Old 12-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Looking at the player profile it states that he is signed through 2039 at minimum salary. Why would you have to negotiate a new extension when he is already signed? I never sign a player to extensions until they are necessary.

Just curious.....

Last edited by SandMan; 12-16-2013 at 02:17 PM.
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMan View Post
Looking at the player profile it states that he is signed through 2039 at minimum salary. Why would you have to negotiate a new extension when he is already signed? I never sign a player to extensions until they are necessary.

Just curious.....

small budget team, so we try to lock in early arbitration years early, ends up costing a bit more in early year, but it levels our exposure, it also makes budget easier since we don't get the big projected bump from Arbitration next year in the Finance. Note this is more than minimum salary which is $525,000. and next year he goes up to $1.5M even though it looks like he won't be arb eligible

last year is option, so you are right i don't have to negotiate this off season with
Old 12-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #18
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
i was really worried that he was being overused by the manager (and again a problem with letting AI manage), but giving him days off has not changed his mood..
The Morale system just isn't that sophisticated, which is fine because Morale doesn't matter very much. Players don't know how often they're being rested, whether they're being removed early from games, nothing like that. They just know if they're in your depth chart or not. You can play a guy every day by managing your games and putting him in the lineup, and if he's not in a starting slot in your depth chart, he'll think he's on the bench. If you manage your games you can have a pitcher finish every game you win, and if he's not in the Closer slot in your staff page, he won't think he's the closer, no matter how many Saves he has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL86 View Post
Could it be that his expectation is "Starting Lineup", and you are batting him 3rd/4th (middle of the Lineup)?

Maybe at a young age he is not happy with the pressure of hitting in the 3/4 hole.
When a guy has a certain expectation, that's his minimum expectation. If a guy expects to be used in the "bullpen", then if you use him in your rotation, he'll be delighted, or if you use him as your closer, he'll be thrilled. As long as you use a guy in his expected role, or something better than his expected role, he'll be happy. It's only when a guy wants to be in the middle of the lineup and he's batting eighth, or when a guy wants to be a closer but is instead a setup guy that he'll get annoyed with you.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #19
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
The Morale system just isn't that sophisticated, which is fine because Morale doesn't matter very much. Players don't know how often they're being rested, whether they're being removed early from games, nothing like that. They just know if they're in your depth chart or not. You can play a guy every day by managing your games and putting him in the lineup, and if he's not in a starting slot in your depth chart, he'll think he's on the bench. If you manage your games you can have a pitcher finish every game you win, and if he's not in the Closer slot in your staff page, he won't think he's the closer, no matter how many Saves he has.

When a guy has a certain expectation, that's his minimum expectation. If a guy expects to be used in the "bullpen", then if you use him in your rotation, he'll be delighted, or if you use him as your closer, he'll be thrilled. As long as you use a guy in his expected role, or something better than his expected role, he'll be happy. It's only when a guy wants to be in the middle of the lineup and he's batting eighth, or when a guy wants to be a closer but is instead a setup guy that he'll get annoyed with you.

thanks, this is really helpful.. probably means using override strategy a bit more to make sure the Coach does not undo what i want. (and me rolling my eyes when my best reliever complains he is not used as "proven closer" which still seems to be the philosophy in 2036... sabermetric died by 2016 :-) )

Last edited by le receveur; 12-16-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #20
JPL86
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
Thanks. Very helpful. I never was sure about this. I thought maybe that the pressure of hitting cleanup for a young player who expected to only be a starter might cause a morale issue. Thanks for clearing that up.
JPL86 is offline   Reply With Quote