Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #21
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
A team of perfect cards:

Good God, what a crashing bore. There is nowhere to go, no improvement to be made, and little struggle. Would I like to do it? No…just no. Where’s the challenge?
Have you tried it? No? Then I guess you are only speculating. I don't have all perfect cards but my 25-man roster has an overall rating of 2,471 so it's close. I will give you my perspective on your speculative opinion.

The challenge is moving up the "ladder" in terms of # of wins and winning pct. There are a lot of great teams out there, so it is not easy to make the top 100 in those categories. Perfect cards are not the only thing it takes. In fact, there are many diamond cards that are more useful than a lot of the perfects. There are many ways to continually improve a team of great cards, and you lack imagination and experience it you think otherwise.

The challenge is beating the best. Every week I run into teams that have cards equal to mine and I need strategy and luck to win. If there were no "struggle", I would have 20+ championships. The challenge with a loaded team is the same as the challenge with a f2p team... win. You say it is easier with a loaded team? Yes, it is easier to make the playoffs, but it is not easier to win a championship because the playoffs are primarily decided by strategies, hot streaks and luck.

Would the game be better for me if there were fewer perfect leagues? Yes, I wish that the average wins to take a division were 100 instead of 130. But I don't control that, so I play the game they give me. And I play it to win. I want the best cards that I can get. I am sorry if you and others resent that, but it is not illegal or immoral to spend money on the game.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #22
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

He's not "throwing" anything, he got 130-some wins this year.

But I betcha he won't allow his team be promoted up.

The whole point of mining PPs, sit in one league and print money.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #23
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Have you tried it? No? Then I guess you are only speculating. I don't have all perfect cards but my 25-man roster has an overall rating of 2,471 so it's close. I will give you my perspective on your speculative opinion.

The challenge is moving up the "ladder" in terms of # of wins and winning pct. There are a lot of great teams out there, so it is not easy to make the top 100 in those categories. Perfect cards are not the only thing it takes. In fact, there are many diamond cards that are more useful than a lot of the perfects. There are many ways to continually improve a team of great cards, and you lack imagination and experience it you think otherwise.

The challenge is beating the best. Every week I run into teams that have cards equal to mine and I need strategy and luck to win. If there were no "struggle", I would have 20+ championships. The challenge with a loaded team is the same as the challenge with a f2p team... win. You say it is easier with a loaded team? Yes, it is easier to make the playoffs, but it is not easier to win a championship because the playoffs are primarily decided by strategies, hot streaks and luck.

Would the game be better for me if there were fewer perfect leagues? Yes, I wish that the average wins to take a division were 100 instead of 130. But I don't control that, so I play the game they give me. And I play it to win. I want the best cards that I can get. I am sorry if you and others resent that, but it is not illegal or immoral to spend money on the game.
Your basic premise is correct - you shouldn't be criticized for the fact you are willing to go to any "legal/moral" length to win games and be the best. Whether you do that with money, or intelligence and effort, there's nothing wrong with it if that's the way you capture your enjoyment.

That said, I think the majority of us are saying that the game, as it stands currently, simply cannot fulfill the wishes of people like yourself AS WELL AS folks who want a challenging game but do not have the resources (money or otherwise) to invest at the same level.

We can build a team that finds its way to a point it basically gets murdered - then can't drop back to a lower level without ignoring the ToS, and bringing down rain clouds from above.

The suggestions I posted above attempt to correct that...

1. Distribute teams into a true pyramid and keep it that way throughout the season by moving the same number of teams up and down throughout all levels. With only 5% of the total teams at Perfect Level, competition at that level would be intense. With only 30% of all teams in the top three tiers, the same would be true for Diamond and Gold. F2P teams would likely never get higher than Gold which would insure tight races at the three lower levels as well.

2. Code the roster restrictions into the game so no one has to play "police" to their fellow team owners.

No one (at least most of us) are not labeling Whales as bad people, but we are pleading desperately to adjust the game so it doesn't JUST favor the Whales because they make all the money for the business.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:50 PM   #24
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
No one (at least most of us) are not labeling Whales as bad people
There is clearly envy and resentment, and I see it every day in a lot of threads. Read the last sentence of the OP. Does that sound like a positive statement to you? How about the post that I quoted? Do you see praise for whales in that post?

I agree with your suggestion that the game should have fewer perfect leagues and the pyramid should be tougher to climb. However, you must realize that there will still be someone promoted to perfect that is unable to compete and too good to be relegated. That person will still resent whales and complain about the system. No solution works for everyone, but your solution does make the game more fun for a greater number of people.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:19 PM   #25
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemandria View Post

It isnt a choice to get promoted. Are they relegating or tanking playoffs every year or is it just a new whale? Post a screenshot of the team.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #26
emilempenza
Minors (Double A)

I think the issue this game has, compared to most UT type games, is that it largely a sim game with not that much skill (in comparison to a game where you control your players). Therefore the pay to win aspect is waaaay larger than it is in games where you control your players, where the skill gap is much more important than the ability of your players.

If some guy buys the best FIFA or MLB the Show team possible, but isn't very good at the game, good player will absolutely crush them with even mediocre teams. On this, a team full of high 100's will largely take care of itself. Sure there will be extra percentages to eek out of it to beat the other monster teams, but some incredibly skilled guy with an all silver team isn't going to get the better of you very often.

I think that's where tournaments are going to make a huge impact. There is so much more skill in selecting good bronze/silver players than there is in picking the overall best players.

Also, I don't really understand why 4 teams get promoted, but only 2 get relegated? Surely that just results in a lot of people getting stuck in higher divisions than they really should be in?
emilempenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #27
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

right. fifa your ranking is a combination of your card strength and your game skill. Improve either and you will move up and play better opponents but earn more rewards. A pro with a basic gold team will beat a bad player with icons. But there aint nothing you can do to have a 70 rated pitcher do better than perfect cy young.

Hopefully tournaments can deliver on their upside as a fun way to play.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #28
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

I don't resent whales...neither do I kiss rings.

Also, I think Mr. Baker's option is the best idea on the topic I've seen. I would wholeheartedly support such a system...and work my butt off with my low-budget team to prove it can be done.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #29
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

and there are gold cards that outperform many diamond/perfects... the combination of finding the right mix of players with the right park factors and a large infusion of luck is what makes this game fun.... my F2P bunch has a total point value of 2224, with 13 diamonds (11 pitchers/2 batters), 11 gold (1 pitcher/10 batters) and 1 silver (backup catcher).... they rocked the Diamond tier (almost .600 winning percentage) but had their ups-n-downs at the Perfect tier (1 playoff appearance resulting in a WC loss in 10 seasons while part of the Our League group)...

took the team random to try some new competition and nabbed the top WC spot this season.... just took down the top seed in my conference 3-2 in the LDS, and while not a whale per se, still a solid 100 win team at the top tier.... there's still a 118 win team lurking on the other side of the playoff tree, but I'll worry about that if I manage to get past the LCS... so it is possible to compete without spending $$, even at the top tier.

now it is a bit of a downer if you run into a 25 man-all 100s club at the Iron tier, but I would hope that was just someone who tossed a bunch of $$ to get the best team right away, and thus would be moving up the ladder fast.... in which case, it's just a week of enduring it (assuming they get promoted)... if they intentionally tank the playoffs to avoid promotion, then report them as others have advised.

side note for the suggestions to band with like-minded players (like Our League)... just because a group of players is all F2P or the like doesn't mean you will have any better success... the player selection and game strategy becomes even more important (as the OL group at Perfect tier kicked my butt something fierce and handed me 90+ loss seasons for 3 of the 10 years at the top level)....
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:22 PM   #30
MrBungle
Minors (Rookie Ball)

A few months ago around the All-Star game there was a team in my (then) Silver League that had all 100's or elite upper 90's cards and went 133-29 for the season.

I looked at the teams history and saw they had most of those cards day 1 at the start of Iron league. (The team was only 3 weeks old)

How would you assemble such an amazing team that fast? Do people actually spend that much on this game? I thought they were cheating at the time and took screen shots but never posted them.
MrBungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:43 AM   #31
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Do people actually spend that much on this game?
Yes.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #32
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateaverageguy View Post
their idea of fun has zero to do with yours. They didnt buy the game to please you.

blah, blah, blah, wah, wah, wah
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #33
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabakin View Post
Wait, don't you always say that ratings don't matter? If that's the case, what's the difference between a team of perfects and a team of silvers? Must just be luck that this team is doing well.

No, you misunderstand what I'm saying. What I say is just bc a card is rated for say 1970 to hit .330 35 HR etc etc.....Or Pitchers having a ERA & Whip of a certain statistic meaning. I,ve never had a card to come statistically close to card. Ie. Hack Wilson 1930 card never hit .356 with 56 HR. Or I've never gotten a Pitcher card to pitch more than 300 innings in a game no matter what setting I use. And for somebody to use a CY YOUNG 100 card as a closer has got to have found a glitch in the game to do so. I mean some of the cards I've seen playing shortstop is ridiculous. I just thought this game was hopefully designed to move away from the video game type baseball games where it's a free for all. I musy have been absolutely wrong including the forum people who will cut throat on anybody that has their opinions & are obviously the ones curtailing baseball etiquette. The OOTP forums are the absolute worst forum I've ever participated in....PERIOD. You're either called a FANBOY or a DUMMY for posting. Never a middle ground. Good Riddance
Old 11-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #34
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateAverageGuy View Post
Their idea of fun has zero to do with yours. They didnt buy the game to please you.

No. Their idea of fun is to feel like they achieved something in life by staying in a league year after year winining 140 game and dominating everyone. Quite Childish I'll say...Have a nice day Children
Old 11-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #35
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemandria View Post

No he don't get promoted...I've seen thim around a long time. League is finalized the day I see I'm in same league as them. I guess I'm just in the minority here by hoping some teams would realize no money is won. Playing in competitive leagues is really freaking awesome, but knowing league is already determined is quiet a bummer & no motivation to really try
Old 11-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #36
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Quote:

Wrong..You give me to opportunity to get the best card or near the best card at every position I'll win 99 out of 100 leagues in Perfect leagues. But my point would be ?????
Old 11-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #37
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

I've seen the collect best cards with no money Golden Wonder Saucer Squares...

Is there a fielded Perfect Leagues champion with no perfects and only a few diamonds team?

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #38
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
No. Their idea of fun is to feel like they achieved something in life by staying in a league year after year winining 140 game and dominating everyone. Quite Childish I'll say...Have a nice day Children
I rest my case.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #39
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Wrong..You give me to opportunity to get the best card or near the best card at every position I'll win 99 out of 100 leagues in Perfect leagues. But my point would be ?????
99 out of 100?
There are some unreal teams in Perfect Leagues.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #40
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, you misunderstand what I'm saying. What I say is just bc a card is rated for say 1970 to hit .330 35 HR etc etc.....Or Pitchers having a ERA & Whip of a certain statistic meaning. I,ve never had a card to come statistically close to card. Ie. Hack Wilson 1930 card never hit .356 with 56 HR. Or I've never gotten a Pitcher card to pitch more than 300 innings in a game no matter what setting I use. And for somebody to use a CY YOUNG 100 card as a closer has got to have found a glitch in the game to do so. I mean some of the cards I've seen playing shortstop is ridiculous. I just thought this game was hopefully designed to move away from the video game type baseball games where it's a free for all. I musy have been absolutely wrong including the forum people who will cut throat on anybody that has their opinions & are obviously the ones curtailing baseball etiquette. The OOTP forums are the absolute worst forum I've ever participated in....PERIOD. You're either called a FANBOY or a DUMMY for posting. Never a middle ground. Good Riddance

I agree that it is kinda silly to have a bullpen of all ace starters or guys playing positions perfectly well that they never played in their life. I hope it's something they work to address in future editions.

However you are masking your good points with your ignorance and insufferableness about everything else.