Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #21
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Reading through the last few posts, it's important to keep in mind we're sometimes talking about two different things. I alluded to them both in my post: news stories and storylines. The latter can certainly be coded to do almost anything with relative parameters and set to occur with restrictions AND the option has to be turned on. The former, which is what BigCity is really talking about it, allows for a natural occurrence of reporting important incidents- via Markus' coding -when and if they occur, and by default, the option cannot be negotiated, only filtered through your message rules.

FWIW
Old 02-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #22
pjh5165
Major Leagues

I think news stories for performances that top a game score threshold is a great way to deal with it. I love the idea.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #23
Ktulu
Hall Of Famer

I don't know, I feel the news engine needs to go in the exact opposite direction. There are already too many "news" stories that don't offer up anything interesting other than what's in the title. Most top performances can be summarized with a title and link to the box score (As a side note, the worst thing about the top performances stories is that there is no link to the boxscore). The current news engine already suffers from too many 200 word stories for things that happen all the time. The unique ones certainly deserve more depth, but 2 paragraphs every time there's a shutout just waters things down.

There are a lot of ways the news can be improved, but simply getting more of the same isn't the way to go. The news needs to focus on what's important and provide context for it. For instance, a player being out 3 weeks with a knee injury can be summed up in one sentence, but something interesting like a former star making his big league return after Tommy John is worthy of 200 words. That's something you would likely miss if it was never brought to your attention. That's what the news engine should do.

The news engine needs more variety and context, not simply more news. Tell me why this particular game performance is important. By reading the title I already know it happened.

Added: There's thread in the 14 forum right now that is an example of something newsworthy that you could very easily miss.

Last edited by Ktulu; 02-11-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Ktulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #24
BigCity
All Star Starter

Just to be sure I'm representing myself accurately - I'm not asking for more stories either. The problem is that the BEST performances (those defined in the "Top Game Performances Report") usually don't get a story... while the more common "shutout" and 5 hit games get stories all the time.

A shutout or 5 hit games doesn't necessarily equate to an earned spot on the "Top Game Performances Report".

I would be all FOR initiating performance stories based on the formula used for the report as a replacement to the "shutout" and "5 hit game" threshold.
BigCity is offline   Reply With Quote