Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-16-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Lightbulb The legacy issue thread!

Hey folks,

I would like you to post issues here which you think are bugs or bad design decisions and have been in the game for several versions, basically the so-called "legacy issues".

The more detailed feedback you give, the more likely it is that I can reproduce the problem or that you convince me to change the behaviour of the game in OOTP 15.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Cheers,
Markus
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
Pronkytonk
Minors (Double A)

The inability of the AI to handle waivers properly - still way too many prospects being waived AND AI teams also have trouble claiming guys off waivers so a human player can sneak almost everyone through waivers without any trouble. This has been a problem since I started with OOTP 8.

Last edited by Pronkytonk; 01-16-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Pronkytonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
jazzrack
Hall Of Famer

only thing I have is a new, user friendly score & schedule screen please, please, for the love of whatever, please. this has been driving me nuts for years

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...le-screen.html

Was once Head Cheese of Corporate League Baseball
jazzrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Batting Stats/Ratings occasionally showing up on the Pitching Staff screen when you switch to it and Pitching Stats/Ratings occasionally showing up on the Lineup screen when you switch to it. Most of the time it's fine but both when managing your team and while playing out a game it still sometimes happens - like it's saving an erroneous state from a previous view. It would be great if the Lineup and Pitching Staff screens could each have their own individual "memory" of the last view you used there, whether it be ratings or stats. Right now it just appears to be random to me.

Thanks!
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
dodger300
Minors (Triple A)

Catchers batting lead off.
dodger300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger300 View Post

And when the leadoff hitter is unavailable, the AI often selects the player from the seven-spot to substitute in the leadoff spot, even if that player is a catcher or unsuitable leadoff hitter.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

The inability to take a long running 1 subleague league and expand it to a league with 2 subleagues. Doing so now will mess up the list of past league champions.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefalumps View Post
Batting Stats/Ratings occasionally showing up on the Pitching Staff screen when you switch to it and Pitching Stats/Ratings occasionally showing up on the Lineup screen when you switch to it. Most of the time it's fine but both when managing your team and while playing out a game it still sometimes happens - like it's saving an erroneous state from a previous view. It would be great if the Lineup and Pitching Staff screens could each have their own individual "memory" of the last view you used there, whether it be ratings or stats. Right now it just appears to be random to me.

Thanks!
Agreed. The pitching staff screen should always default to "All Pitchers" and "Pitching stats 1", and the lineups should always default to "All Batters" and "Batting stats 1"

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Substitution logic, especially for middle infielders. Even in 14 I still get left-handed 3B, SS, 2B, and C. The situation also still remains where the best SS on the bench will be subbed as the 2B because he is also the best 2B on the bench, leaving a C or back-up OF to play SS. All substitution logic should follow the defensive spectrum. This problem affects single and multiple substitutions, so it seems like it will require a fundamental re-working.

I would also like to see substitution according to actual use in historical replay. Many players who have good defensive ratings are used as defensive subs and in some cases they were not used in that manner in RL, despite being good defenders.

Last edited by JohnHoward; 01-16-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Agreed. The pitching staff screen should always default to "All Pitchers" and "Pitching stats 1", and the lineups should always default to "All Batters" and "Batting stats 1"
I agree on the All Pitchers and All Batters part and would be OK if it defaulted to Stats 1, but if possible, I'd like the ability to customize it to show the stats view I created or at least have it remember the last view I used. Now that I have my own views created, I almost never look at Stats 1 for pitchers or hitters.

Last edited by BIG17EASY; 01-16-2014 at 10:19 AM.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
Potemkin
Bat Boy

Milestones that can be customized for a league, so that a fictional league playing an 84 game season can set lower milestones than a 162 game MLB season. Me league never sees a 20 game winning pitcher.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #12
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger300 View Post
Agreed in general, but still needs to be preserved for historical play for Jason Kendall, Rollie Hemsley, Butch Wynegar, etc. It is unusual, but it does happen (Russell Martin and John Jaso in recent years).
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
I agree on the All Pitchers and All Batters part and would be OK if it defaulted to Stats 1, but if possible, I'd like the ability to customize it to show the stats view I created or at least have it remember the last view I used. Now that I have my own views created, I almost never look at Stats 1 for pitchers or hitters.
Indeed. It would be quite cool to be able to customize the default view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potemkin View Post
Milestones that can be customized for a league, so that a fictional league playing an 84 game season can set lower milestones than a 162 game MLB season. Me league never sees a 20 game winning pitcher.
Agreed 100% on this. I've been asking for it for years. I'd be okay with it simply pro-rating the milestones based on season length. So in an 84 game season the milestones would be 26 HRs, 78 RBIs and 10 or 11 wins.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #14
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Has the bug that causes the game to crash when you try to put a DH into the field and force the pitcher to bat bug ever been addressed?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Has the bug that causes the game to crash when you try to put a DH into the field and force the pitcher to bat bug ever been addressed?
IIRC that was fixed sometime in OOTP13.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #16
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
Substitution logic, especially for middle infielders. Even in 14 I still get left-handed 3B, SS, 2B, and C. The situation also still remains where the best SS on the bench will be subbed as the 2B because he is also the best 2B on the bench, leaving a C or back-up OF to play SS. All substitution logic should follow the defensive spectrum. This problem affects single and multiple substitutions, so it seems like it will require a fundamental re-working.

I would also like to see substitution according to actual use in historical replay. Many players who have good defensive ratings are used as defensive subs and in some cases they were not used in that manner in RL, despite being good defenders.
Yeah, this still makes me face palm....
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
The newspaper. It ignores the playoffs. Teams clinching a spot should be a news item. Also each playoff game and each playoff advancement. Winning a league title or WS should be a news item.

Terrible substitution logic. The AI inserts players with horrible defensive ratings in the lineup at key positions (SS, 2B, CF) when in reality this would only be done as a desperation move if no fully qualified position player was available. When a shortstop has to be replaced, they don't replace him with a backup first baseman with a one rating at shortstop in real life. They replace the SS with the backup SS.

Bad depth chart logic: related to the above, too many marginal defenders are being assigned as backups to key defensive positions. Prioritize defense higher for SS, 2B, CF and C backups. No one with a very low position rating should ever be assigned as a backup if there is any kind of qualified backup available.

Catchers batting 1st or 2nd or 3rd in the order. This happens very rarely in real life, but commonly in OOTP.

Inability to properly edit front office personnel. For setup purposes you should be able to edit contracts (lengths and amounts).

We should be able to assign a free agent when we sign them form the free agent screen to whatever team we want them to in our organization when we sign them.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
markprior22
All Star Starter

This problem seems to come and go but the catching situation at the minor league level needs to be addressed. Even if a team has 2 catchers, they often play one at another position and won't use him at catcher no matter how tired the normal starting catcher becomes. I have to go through all my minor league teams every couple of game days and force any tired starting catchers to sit for X number of days. That is the only way I can get anyone else to start at catcher.

Thanks for specifically looking at all these issues Markus...I know many people appreciate it greatly.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #19
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Once the regular season is underway, fringe type free agents should sign contracts without long periods of "thinking about it" Example, I'm using reserve rosters and all 3 of my catchers end up hurt. It's July. If there's a catcher sitting on the list of league free agents(unemployed) and I offer him a contract, I shouldn't have to sit around for 2 weeks while he makes up his mind whether or not he wants to receive a paycheck.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #20
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Once the regular season is underway, fringe type free agents should sign contracts without long periods of "thinking about it" Example, I'm using reserve rosters and all 3 of my catchers end up hurt. It's July. If there's a catcher sitting on the list of league free agents(unemployed) and I offer him a contract, I shouldn't have to sit around for 2 weeks while he makes up his mind whether or not he wants to receive a paycheck.
And not just fringe players. How many free agents of any caliber have ever sat out a season? If it's Spring Training and a three star SS hasn't signed with a team yet, he'll be getting desperate. BUT make sure that all desperation contracts are one year only to prevent abuse; even that desperate SS wouldn't sign a crappy multi-year deal.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote