Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #81
Bring Back Brooklyn
Bat Boy

Should I download this update? I didn't download the last one because people seemed to be having issues, should I skip this one too?
Bring Back Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #82
kehowey
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Brooklyn View Post
Should I download this update? I didn't download the last one because people seemed to be having issues, should I skip this one too?
IMO, Yes. If you don't like this version then you can always go back to a previous version
kehowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #83
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Brooklyn View Post
Absolutely no. This patch has been rock solid IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehowey View Post
IMO, Yes. If you don't like this version then you can always go back to a previous version
Do you have a specific reason not to download this patch?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #84
redsman1
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Absolutely no. This patch has been rock solid IMO.

confused rchw? bring back brooklyn asked two questions. should I download and should I skip. you answered the last one and kehowey answered the first

Last edited by redsman1; 09-21-2013 at 04:34 PM.
redsman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #85
JMDurron
All Star Starter

I'm seeing some old bad habits of the AI reappear with this patch. A massive waiving of players from the 40-man after the Amateur Draft, followed by the same teams waiving, trading for, then waiving the same set of players over and over again. With the last 2 patches, this had been limited to no more than 1 team per season that would go for this, with fewer players being waived, but the day I installed the patch (draft day + 1, normally the waiving used to happen on day 0, so the last patch was better), a massive roster culling occurred.

The roster culling by itself is fine, but teams should not be willing to make trades consistently for the very same players that they will then waive, then trade for again, over and over again. This part of the AI logic seems to have gone backwards in this latest patch, I have to think it's related to whatever "roster AI improvements" were made for this build.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #86
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDurron View Post
I'm seeing some old bad habits of the AI reappear with this patch. A massive waiving of players from the 40-man after the Amateur Draft, followed by the same teams waiving, trading for, then waiving the same set of players over and over again. With the last 2 patches, this had been limited to no more than 1 team per season that would go for this, with fewer players being waived, but the day I installed the patch (draft day + 1, normally the waiving used to happen on day 0, so the last patch was better), a massive roster culling occurred.

The roster culling by itself is fine, but teams should not be willing to make trades consistently for the very same players that they will then waive, then trade for again, over and over again. This part of the AI logic seems to have gone backwards in this latest patch, I have to think it's related to whatever "roster AI improvements" were made for this build.

This is not good news, as there will not likely be anymore adjustments until version 15
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #87
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
This is not good news, as there will not likely be anymore adjustments until version 15
Way to jump on one anecdote. I don't see it at all. That's anecdotal too but supported by the fact that we haven't seen multiple posts on waiving and trading issues after the draft. We also know that there are some specific in-game roster conditions that may lead to the problem.

Just to be sure I checked my transaction logs for the month after the draft and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Is that evidence to be dismissed?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #88
clamel
All Star Starter

Confusing indeed.
The last 2-3 patches have had sooo many strange issue posted on different issues. What´s up ?? Have smartness from Markus outdone itself ? Too many changes and ficing bringing up several new problems. I can´t see any drift like this in any of the previous versions over the last years. All those have eventually solved 90 % of the known issues, and what has been left was something that most could live with.
IMHO each of the last patches seams to have serious problem of different kinds.
I am concern.
I mean, beside face-problem or whatever, the admitted HBP in AAA and now some massive waiving of players. Truly disturbing.

Or am I overreacting ??
Or will OOTP14 left as is, and the long winter wait for OOTP15. But then what problems carries over ??
The fact remains that the more complicating a game gets the more smaller changes can bring out new unknown issue.
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #89
Star Gazer
Bat Boy

Quote:

Yes, the screen goes black in full window mode using window 8.

I had to go back to 14.3
Star Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #90
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Way to jump on one anecdote. I don't see it at all. That's anecdotal too but supported by the fact that we haven't seen multiple posts on waiving and trading issues after the draft. We also know that there are some specific in-game roster conditions that may lead to the problem.

Just to be sure I checked my transaction logs for the month after the draft and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

I am just saying if this is indeed the case, it is not good news. I myself have not seen it as of yet myself either. If there is an issue, however, it is not good news, as I believe development has likely turned exclusively to version 15.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #91
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

FWIW I'm not seeing it in my league either.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #92
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamel View Post
Confusing indeed.
The last 2-3 patches have had sooo many strange issue posted on different issues. What´s up ?? Have smartness from Markus outdone itself ? Too many changes and ficing bringing up several new problems. I can´t see any drift like this in any of the previous versions over the last years. All those have eventually solved 90 % of the known issues, and what has been left was something that most could live with.
IMHO each of the last patches seams to have serious problem of different kinds.
I am concern.
I mean, beside face-problem or whatever, the admitted HBP in AAA and now some massive waiving of players. Truly disturbing.

Or am I overreacting ??
Or will OOTP14 left as is, and the long winter wait for OOTP15. But then what problems carries over ??
The fact remains that the more complicating a game gets the more smaller changes can bring out new unknown issue.
Yeah, in the big picture I think you are overreacting.

Not saying those that have some of these issues shouldn't complain or ask for a fix but.. If it were a huge problem the boards would be full of posts. From what I can tell these are somewhat isolated incidents that occur on a small number of systems.

I haven't followed the "new" issues closely as I don't appear to have any of them with the 60 day DL issue being fixed in the last patch. Correct me if I'm wrong but the big issues now are the "face gen" issue and the "full screen" issue?

The 60 day DL issue was a legitimate reason to suspend playing OOTP as it affected every injured players future service time clock as well as shelfing them for 60 days when they should be playing.

I believe the face gen issue is cosmetic and limited to certain systems and while irritating does not stop one from playing the game and getting acceptable results. I love my facegen and wouldn't be happy if it didn't work. With that said I could at least still play knowing Andreas was busting his butt trying to find and fix the cause. Not sure what else one could ask of the dev. team.

The full screen issue is from what I have read a win8 issue that can be worked around by going into window mode. Again not ideal but not game-breaking either. If I had any of the issues mentioned and have to wait for OOTP15 to get fixed this is the one I would want to have.

The roster issue just reported has been reported by a grand total of one user. It seems to be an issue with EVERY version for someone but has not been a widespread issue in a long time. As RchW said "We also know that there are some specific in-game roster conditions that may lead to the problem." Now it is possible that the tweaks Markus made in the last patch has made this pop up again in a "wider window" of roster settings or perhaps it is something that is just isolated to JMDurron's league\setup. Time will tell. He certainly did the right thing reporting it here as it gives others a heads up to look for it and also report it if they find it in their league.

I certainly don't see anything here to suggest the OOTP team is slipping in their coding of the game or their sincere efforts to track down and fix any issues we report that they can reproduce.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #93
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

I'm just waiting to upgrade until it's all sorted out.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #94
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:

It's good news if I'm the only one seeing this, as I have a number of settings/history that MIGHT make my league an outlier.

1) I allow draft pick trading
2) My league was started in OOTP13, when the roster/trading AI was poor and the AI basically gave every draft pick a 40-man roster spot, creating a waiver wire feast every draft day. I'm in 2019 now, so it's not hard to see guys who have had options used since they were given 40-man spots in previous years (or OOTP13), might be running out of options now, but....
3) I play with Very Low scouting accuracy and 25/25/25/25 AI evaluation factors
4) This is the MLB Quickstart
5) I have disabled advanced draft pick signings, so no MLB deals *SHOULD* be offered to these guys after they are drafted.
6) I play with the default trading settings

Reasons I think this is unique to the patch

1) I drafted on the previous patch version, as I didn't want to change roster/trading AI during my trading spree (picks for picks) the day before the draft, and then the draft itself. After I finished the draft, there were a total of...zero players waived who were 25 years old or younger (I ignore older players for claim-trade purposes). I installed this build 1-2 days after the draft, at which point, BOOM, 50+ players showed up on the waiver wire.
2) Even back when OOTP13/earlier OOTP14 builds would give me the occasional team who would let me trade them a package of players for a draft pick, waive EVERY ONE OF THEM ON THE SAME DAY, and then accept a trade package for that same set of players again, it was a rare circumstance. As in, 1-2 teams might let me do it until the next scouting period at the end of July. Post-patch, currently 9 of the 29 other teams in MLB have waived the exact package of players that I have traded them for draft picks, letting me keep the cycle going at least through July.
3) The players being waived have options remaining, or at least a significant subset of them do. There is no obvious reason for these players to be waived, particularly since there is no reason for teams to be adding draftees to the 40-man roster without advanced draft pick signing.

I have done this exact same process whenever it has been open to me in OOTP (I'm not burdened with an overabundance of morality when it comes to playing the AI), and from OOTP12-OOTP14, even allowing for some improved skill on my part, the Draft-Sign-Waive-Trade-Waive-Trade Again logic of the AI has never, ever been this easily exploited.

I suspect that the mixture of the AI trading/roster management logic has changed in this latest build in such a manner that it has manifested itself in this particular way in my league. I mentioned it in the event that it has happened to others, because it's a problem in my league along, and a potentially serious one if it is widespread. If it isn't, that's great. If it's something that might pop up in other leagues for other players that might not notice because they have morals or principles or some stuff like that, then it's still on me to at least let the devs see that it happened to be in this case.

At the end of this June-July period (I'm in late June), I will post the player histories of several of the repeatedly-traded players in a separate thread to highlight the ridiculousness of this particular issue as it manifests in my league. I just can't believe that it is a coincidence that the mass waiving of young, tradeable players happened on the game day when I installed this patch.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #95
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

I'm still seeing some of the slowdowns on my Mac (MacBook Pro i7, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8) that I mentioned in the last patch, though now it's most noticeable while playing out games. Menus get sluggish and the ball graphic will literally seem to skip every other animation. It doesn't seem to start this way, but seems to get worse over time while the game is open after real time simming or playing out a game.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #96
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon J. Scudworth View Post
I'm still seeing some of the slowdowns on my Mac (MacBook Pro i7, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8) that I mentioned in the last patch, though now it's most noticeable while playing out games. Menus get sluggish and the ball graphic will literally seem to skip every other animation. It doesn't seem to start this way, but seems to get worse over time while the game is open after real time simming or playing out a game.
I am also noticing significant slowdowns on my WinXP desktop, particularly when moving to/from the waiver wire or other screens with several player entries. I have to close the game and re-open it after each round of trading with the AI. My desktop is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I was chalking this up to an aging HDD until I noticed this post. I can post other computer stats when I get home tonight.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #97
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
I am also noticing significant slowdowns on my WinXP desktop, particularly when moving to/from the waiver wire or other screens with several player entries. I have to close the game and re-open it after each round of trading with the AI. My desktop is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I was chalking this up to an aging HDD until I noticed this post. I can post other computer stats when I get home tonight.
I have Windows XP and am not noticing any slow down at all. This patch seems to work fine for me. Thanks for the update!
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #98
clamel
All Star Starter

Quote:
It's good news if I'm the only one seeing this, as I have a number of settings/history that MIGHT make my league an outlier.

2) My league was started in OOTP13, when the roster/trading AI was poor and the AI basically gave every draft pick a 40-man roster spot, creating a waiver wire feast every draft day. I'm in 2019 now, so it's not hard to see guys who have had options used since they were given 40-man spots in previous years (or OOTP13), might be running out of options now, but....
This looks like the "last" remaining BIG problem. I agree that (for me) Face-gens and graphic stuff can be overcome, BUT issue like the 60-day DL, No HBP in triple-A, and perhaps this Waiver madness is bigger concern.

So the waiver problem. How many have seen this in your quest forward in time starting in 2013 with your games ??
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #99
helen
Banned

I am downloading the update now so will be good to see it, it has been running slow on my computer.
helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #100
LeeDorm8185
Minors (Double A)

I'm on the latest patch. I've used the Shop Player feature several times to initiate trades, but I've yet to see one that showed offers back from more than one team. It's as though the AI is filtering through potential offers and only showing me the one from the team it deems best. Could just be SSS, but my first half dozen trades under this patch have all been this way.
LeeDorm8185 is offline   Reply With Quote