Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #41
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I ran OOTP 13 on an SSD and it wore it out.

Should I be concerned enough not to do this? I'm backing up to the main HDD.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #42
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
1) Yes. Version 12
2) I checked another league I created in the last version (14.5.23) and it is not showing the same error. So I guess it has something to do with imported leagues.
OK well that might explain why I haven't seen it. I have a league I was playing in OOTP13 that I want to import into 14, but from your issue and someone else's issue with splits not adding up to the total stats, I'm a little nervous. Bugs like that are tricky, because a lot of people could be experiencing it, but if they're not digging into the stats, they might not even notice it.
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #43
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Should I be concerned enough not to do this? I'm backing up to the main HDD.
Up to you. As long as you keep regular backups you should be okay.

I do recommend reading this, though

How to Maximize the Life of Your SSD

because I didn't and paid the price.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #44
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefalumps View Post
OK well that might explain why I haven't seen it. I have a league I was playing in OOTP13 that I want to import into 14, but from your issue and someone else's issue with splits not adding up to the total stats, I'm a little nervous. Bugs like that are tricky, because a lot of people could be experiencing it, but if they're not digging into the stats, they might not even notice it.
I guess I've been pretty fortunate. I had no problems with this league in either version 12 or 13 and none of the patches in 14 up until 14.5.23.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #45
wualumni
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I just installed the patch on Linux and now OOTP is not working. I get the following error when starting OOTP from the command line:

jason@jason-linux-desktop ~/OOTP/ootp14 $ ./ootp14.sh
X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 154 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
Serial number of failed request: 1987
Current serial number in output stream: 1988

Any insight?
wualumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #46
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
No problems with Win 8 and NVIDIA on the the Ideapad.

I installed OOTP on the SSD. Wow this thing just flat out rocks now!
Quote:
I ran OOTP 13 on an SSD and it wore it out.
Wow, OOTP ruins SSDs? Of course not. Every app which writes data frequently, will finally "wear out" your SSD. That's like, every truck which is driving on a road will wear out that road. The road will last much longer if you don't let the cars drive there. But the road is just build for that (and the SSDs are built for saving files).
OOTP is writing data frequently, but there are other apps which do the same. And just because OOTP does a lot with files, it runs so well on SSDs. I had two identical SSDs in my computer. Purchased and built-in on the same days. One for my Windows system and the programs, the other one for the project files and OOTP data files when testing. The SSD with the Windows system on it broke first, the other one containing the OOTP stuff is still running.
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #47
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Thanks for the patch bro
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:22 AM   #48
Garrett67
Minors (Triple A)

Can anybody watch replays? I applied the update today, so I'm at the current version on PC

I tried and I get a minimalistic screen and when things keep repeating when I hit 'continue' .

The intro will play twice, each at bat plays twice. It does the same with older replays too.

I don't watch replays often so I'm not sure if this is a new problem or if it has been an issue for awhile.
Attached Images
Garrett67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:45 AM   #49
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefalumps View Post
I can also confirm that the Facegen issue I'm experiencing on Windows 7 64-bit Dell Inspiron laptop is still present - everytime I minimize the OOTP window and maximize it again, the first face that Facegen tries to generate on its own comes back as invisible. Every subsequent face is fine, and if I click on the "Same Picture" button, even if it's after a minimize/maximize, it's fine.

I've tried it with multiple leagues and I've also tried it with fictional faces in addition to fg/PhotoFit files. Same thing.

Andreas is there any kind of testing I can do on my end to help you track this thing down? I'm pretty sure it wasn't in 14.3 and was introduced in 14.4. None of the drivers on my system have changed since then.

My display adapter is listed as "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family" for what it's worth.

Note: I just checked and I do not have the "black screen" problem on full screen mode that others are reporting, but I still have the invisible faces happen if I Alt-Tab out of OOTP's full screen mode to another application. Note that when I'm in windowed mode, if I Alt-Tab between applications, I don't have the invisible face issue - in windowed mode, it's only if I *minimize* the OOTP window that I see the problem. In full screen mode, it happens any time I Alt-Tab out of OOTP.
Thank you for the detailled information, hefalumps. I can reproduce the problem with minimized windows on my test computer and we're trying to find and fix the bug.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #50
kehowey
Major Leagues

I have an Apple iMac that I bought last winter. It runs OS X 10.8.4. I just downloaded OOTP version 14.5.28. Like version 14.4.23, I have no Facegen. So I went back to 14.3.12 and have Facegen again.
kehowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #51
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
Thank you for the detailled information, hefalumps. I can reproduce the problem with minimized windows on my test computer and we're trying to find and fix the bug.
Awesome I am glad to hear you can reproduce it on your end - since I'd only heard of a handful of others experiencing it, I was worried you'd have a lot of trouble replicating it.

Feel free to PM me if you need any additional info about my setup. Good luck!
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #52
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow, OOTP ruins SSDs? Of course not. Every app which writes data frequently, will finally "wear out" your SSD. That's like, every truck which is driving on a road will wear out that road. The road will last much longer if you don't let the cars drive there. But the road is just build for that (and the SSDs are built for saving files).
OOTP is writing data frequently, but there are other apps which do the same. And just because OOTP does a lot with files, it runs so well on SSDs. I had two identical SSDs in my computer. Purchased and built-in on the same days. One for my Windows system and the programs, the other one for the project files and OOTP data files when testing. The SSD with the Windows system on it broke first, the other one containing the OOTP stuff is still running.
It was all I had on the SSD. I obviously know about how SSDs wear out now, per the link I posted.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #53
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Interesting discussion, particularly since I had no idea what you guys were talking about!

Now I do, having done some research. This quote from that article is interesting:
Quote:
While mechanically SSD drives are better, they do have a limited life span. This comes from a fixed number of write cycles that can be done on a drive before the cells become unusable. For most consumers however, the write cycle limits tend to still allow the drives to last roughly five years or more which is longer than the average computer system.
I can see how a program like OOTPB, with its manipulation of thousands of files, may help to wear out a SSD if this is true. Still, the same could be said of many other programs (like your Internet browser) and of traditional hard drives with their moving heads, drive motors, and disk surfaces.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #54
RchW
Hall Of Famer

My SSD has a 3yr warranty so we'll have to see.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #55
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts-Rock View Post
I used to have that issue but w/last two patches it went away for me
Interesting. I definitely still have it.

Details:

I am running three disparate games on my computer:

A modern quickstart (started in 2013 now in 2014)
An historical replay (started in 1977, now in 1980)
An historical replay (1901, in frist year)

When I go into each team, in whichever league, I am able to set the logo and uniforms to the correct files.

Whenever I play by MODERN league and then go back to the historical ones, any teams that were loaded when I played the modern game have switched to the modern logo and uniforms.

So, in the '77 start, I have corrent unis for the California Angels, because they don't appear in the modern game, but teams like the Blue Jays revert to the modern unis.

This happens in the '01 start, but there are more teams that don't match. The Brooklyn Superbas have the period unis but the Milwaukee Brewers do not.

While this is clearly not a deal-breaker for me, I woudl love it if it were fixed.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #56
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
Interesting. I definitely still have it.

Details:

I am running three disparate games on my computer:

A modern quickstart (started in 2013 now in 2014)
An historical replay (started in 1977, now in 1980)
An historical replay (1901, in frist year)

When I go into each team, in whichever league, I am able to set the logo and uniforms to the correct files.

Whenever I play by MODERN league and then go back to the historical ones, any teams that were loaded when I played the modern game have switched to the modern logo and uniforms.

So, in the '77 start, I have corrent unis for the California Angels, because they don't appear in the modern game, but teams like the Blue Jays revert to the modern unis.

This happens in the '01 start, but there are more teams that don't match. The Brooklyn Superbas have the period unis but the Milwaukee Brewers do not.

While this is clearly not a deal-breaker for me, I woudl love it if it were fixed.
Do you have all of these historical unis saved in the saved game folders, and the modern unis (from the all-in-one?) saved in the "main" (for lack of a better word) jersey/caps folder, where the AOI installs them? In the bug thread after the original release of OOTP 14, I noted that in my fictional league, OOTP was not automatically loading the jersey and cap files from their respective folders in the saved game file, as OOTP13 had done. I had to manually load them from within the game. The only ones that automatically loaded for me were from the MLB quickstart. This sounds like it might be the same issue, where the game is drawing from the main folder instead of your saved game-specific folders. The only difference being that in my case, the fictional names are obviously different from the MLB names, so my manually-loaded jerseys and caps have stuck.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason

Last edited by Cinnamon J. Scudworth; 09-13-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #57
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Interesting discussion, particularly since I had no idea what you guys were talking about!

Now I do, having done some research. This quote from that article is interesting:

I can see how a program like OOTPB, with its manipulation of thousands of files, may help to wear out a SSD if this is true. Still, the same could be said of many other programs (like your Internet browser) and of traditional hard drives with their moving heads, drive motors, and disk surfaces.
Yeah, a program like OOTP will wear the SSD a bit faster than normal but with a new-ish SSD (a year old or less) it shouldn't be a big issue - the number of writes they can handle has increased significantly and they're actually going to last longer in general as capacity increases. Technology in SSDs is still improving rapidly.

There's a couple of things you can do if it's a real concern though:
- Most drive software will have a setting for max reliability (I know the Samsung ones do). Set that to keep your league as safe as possible.
- Overprovision the drive to keep unused space reserved for when the drive starts to wear out. This will decrease your drive's max capacity by about 10% though but it's well worth it. SSDs already reserve some that you don't even see but more is better. It will also be faster in general.
- If you're really concerned, use an SSD as a boot drive and keep your OOTP leagues on a 2nd mechanical drive. That's what I do and I still get a huge speed increase over running it on a mechanical boot drive.

You still want to backup your leagues to another external drive of course very often!

I have a Samsung drive and they include software that monitors the life of the SSD so you have a pretty good idea of when the drive is starting to wear down. That's something that mechanical drives don't really have.
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #58
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Guys, many good points about SSDs. I got an early model and wore it out, but by following all the suggestions and having backups and a warranty you should be fine using one.

I was a pioneer, and got what pioneers usually get: an arrow to the knee.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #59
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
It was all I had on the SSD. I obviously know about how SSDs wear out now, per the link I posted.
So you say OOTP was all you had on that SSD, and since the SSD is now broken, OOTP must have caused it?
Old 09-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #60
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was a pioneer, and got what pioneers usually get: an arrow to the knee.
Skyrim reference?
Hockey13Playa is offline   Reply With Quote