Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #21
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

The worst 50 home run season is Brady Anderson in 1996. Was it just a fluke season? Did the CIA give him a sample of superjuice they were developing to create the uber soldiers of the 21st century only to snatch it away once they realized it's true power? Was Jupiter lined up with Venus while Brady sacrificed goats to some obscure bronze age Scandinavian God? We'll never know... but dammit if it's not the worst 50 HR season ever... or maybe all the outlier qualities makes it the best 50 HR season ever?

I dunno... guess I just didn't want to chime in with another post about how awful the OP's player was in patrolling centerfield...
Nunyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyer View Post
The worst 50 home run season is Brady Anderson in 1996. Was it just a fluke season? Did the CIA give him a sample of superjuice they were developing to create the uber soldiers of the 21st century only to snatch it away once they realized it's true power? Was Jupiter lined up with Venus while Brady sacrificed goats to some obscure bronze age Scandinavian God? We'll never know... but dammit if it's not the worst 50 HR season ever... or maybe all the outlier qualities makes it the best 50 HR season ever?

I dunno... guess I just didn't want to chime in with another post about how awful the OP's player was in patrolling centerfield...
brady opsed 1.034 with 7 war so im fairly certain its not the worst. most unlikely, probably.

negative war for the player in OP makes sense given the overall hitting ability of the league and atrocious defense. way too many people only look at offensive numbers since they are easy to compare between player to player, while the extent of their defensive evaluation is just "good" or "bad" and is handwaved aside with no attempt to quantify.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #23
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
brady opsed 1.034 with 7 war so im fairly certain its not the worst. most unlikely, probably.

negative war for the player in OP makes sense given the overall hitting ability of the league and atrocious defense. way too many people only look at offensive numbers since they are easy to compare between player to player, while the extent of their defensive evaluation is just "good" or "bad" and is handwaved aside with no attempt to quantify.
Yes I agree with that, usally I look at a players hitting to compare and look at ratings for fielding, this guy for would do great in LF he is a way better feilder there then in center but he is getting screwed because nobody can play CF that is good enough to start on this team, if i needed a LF I would trade for him instantly.

Bradys season wasnt the worst but its very suspect in terms of how did it happen at all.

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #24
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

ooooooh...

Maybe I should have kept my mouth quiet earlier. Those are some horrible looing defensive numbers. Ouch.

Time to make him the DH.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #25
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
ooooooh...

Maybe I should have kept my mouth quiet earlier. Those are some horrible looing defensive numbers. Ouch.

Time to make him the DH.
Non DH league and can play a ok LF field just other fielders don't know how to play CF, and it isn't my team lol

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:33 AM   #26
Ts-Rock
Major Leagues

24, If he can play above avg LF I would def trade for him if price is right. heck bat him 7th or 8th.

2010 114-48, World Series Champions
2011 109-53, 1st Rd Loss to N.F.
2012. 96-66, 1st Rd Loss to L.A.
2013 112-50, World Series Champions
2014 119-43, World Series Champions
2015 124-38, World Series Champions
2016 111-51, LCS Loss to L.A.
2017 110-52, World Series Champions
2018 101-61, 1st Rd Loss to Baffin Island
2019. 98-64, LCS Loss to Baffin Island
2020 103-59,
Ts-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #27
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

no-obp high-slg is perfect 3 hole hitter
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #28
Mancandy
Minors (Double A)

Infractions: 0/1 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Baseball View Post
The entire award voting process in Major League Baseball is a joke. Just look at Justin Verlander winning the MVP Award. I don't care if a pitcher goes 20-5 with a 1.50 ERA...the MVP should be reserved for batters in the same way that the Cy Young Award is exclusive to pitchers. Then you had Bryce Harper winning the Rookie Of The Year last year based on the name alone when it was obvious Wade Miley deserved it. Finally, Ryan Braun winning the 2011 MVP only because the Brewers made the NLCS and the Dodgers didn't.
1.Until they change the name of the award to MVH, pitchers are and should be just as eligible as hitters. And save me the nonsense about hitters playing every day, because hitters don't have nearly the impact on games that starting pitchers do. In 2011, Verlander faced 969 batters. Jacoby Ellbury, the MVP runner-up, had 732 plate appearances. Jose Bautista, 3rd place finisher, had 655.

2.In what universe was it obvious that Wade Miley deserved it? What numbers are you using to make such an idiotic statement? Harper won the award because he had the better season. Sure, his name didn't hurt, but to say that's the only reason he won is asinine and not based in reality in any way.

3.And as moronic as that is, it's even more ludicrous to say Braun "only" won the MVP because his team made the playoffs and the Dodgers didn't. Braun and Kemp had very similar numbers across the board and to suggest either was the obvious choice is laughable and, again, not based in reality.
Mancandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #29
Xpert7777
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
no-obp high-slg is perfect 3 hole hitter
I would say it depends on your lineup. I would much rather have a no-obp, high-slg guy hitting 5th or 6th than 3rd.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #30
ThePretender
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancandy View Post
1.Until they change the name of the award to MVH, pitchers are and should be just as eligible as hitters. And save me the nonsense about hitters playing every day, because hitters don't have nearly the impact on games that starting pitchers do. In 2011, Verlander faced 969 batters. Jacoby Ellbury, the MVP runner-up, had 732 plate appearances. Jose Bautista, 3rd place finisher, had 655.
First of all, that's pretty poor logic. Ellsbury was involved in 297 plays on defence, which you're ignoring. Do those not count as impacting the game? Can't just ignore it like you're doing now. And Verlander impacts the game in other ways as well.

Even beyond that, Verlander wasn't even the best player on his team that year. Cabrera was a better hitter in 2011 than he was in the Triple Crown season, and he, not Verlander deserved the MVP if it HAD to go to someone on the Tigers. Hell Verlander wasn't even that much better than Sabathia that year. And it's not like there weren't quality position players, in the previously mentioned Ellsbury, Bautista and Miguel Cabrera.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #31
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancandy View Post

2.In what universe was it obvious that Wade Miley deserved it? What numbers are you using to make such an idiotic statement? Harper won the award because he had the better season. Sure, his name didn't hurt, but to say that's the only reason he won is asinine and not based in reality in any way.

3.And as moronic as that is, it's even more ludicrous to say Braun "only" won the MVP because his team made the playoffs and the Dodgers didn't. Braun and Kemp had very similar numbers across the board and to suggest either was the obvious choice is laughable and, again, not based in reality.
It's difficult to compare pitchers and hitters, so I'll just say this: According to OPS plus, Harper was 18 above league average. Miley was 22 above league average with ERA+.

And to say Braun and Kemphad "very similar numbers" is also laughable.

(Led the league in bold)

Braun: .332/.397/.597, .994 OPS, 33 HR, 111 RBI, 58 BB, 93 K, 33 SB, .426 wOBA, 172 wRC+, 166 OPS+, 7.4 oWAR, -3.9 UZR, -0.3 dWAR
Kemp: .324/.399/.586, .986 OPS, 39 HR, 126 RBI, 74 BB, 159 K, 40 SB, .413 wOBA, 168 wRC+, 172 OPS+, 8.6 oWAR, -4.8 UZR, -0.2 dWAR

Kemp was easily better than Braun offensively and was nearly as good defensively playing at a tougher defensive position.

FWIW, bbref has Braun #990 on batters all time, with Kemp #257 ... and Kemp has less at-bats.

No need to be rude towards Mr. Baseball's opinions (or to necrobump this topic).
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote