Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 12-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Cricket

I remember a thread called "Talk Sports" but I couldn't find it so I am posting it here for now.

I learned a few days ago that a cricket game often lasts for 5 days.

I know it is a game similar to baseball, my first thought was that it was kind of like series during the season of 3 games, 4 games & of course in the playoffs of 5 games / 7 games. But the outcome apparently just counts for a single win or loss. Maybe? All I heard was that bit.

My ? is sort of should it be that way...necessarily more than a 9 inning affair in a tournament setting. Probably because I recently went 6-0 in the round robin portion of a tournament, then won the next one in bracket mode, and was eliminated for a single loss in my 8th game of the tournament.

Excluding maybe a one-game finals, should we keep most tournies in PT to best of 3 series or more?

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Talk Sports - https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...splay.php?f=49
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
If you're really interested in understanding cricket watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaU2KpZ8hOs

I am lucky enough to have become friends with a London couple and Jules is a member of Lord's, the oldest cricket ground in the UK opening it's current ground in 1814.

I visited this year and we attended a late season match at Lord's and watched from the members only pavilion. It was quite an experience as we discussed baseball and cricket all day. I didn't know much about cricket before going but watched the video I linked so I would at least have a clue. I was able to keep up with what was going on and Jules was filling me in too on some of the finer points of the game. Very interesting game.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
If you're really interested in understanding cricket watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaU2KpZ8hOs

I am lucky enough to have become friends with a London couple and Jules is a member of Lord's, the oldest cricket ground in the UK opening it's current ground in 1814.

I visited this year and we attended a late season match at Lord's and watched from the members only pavilion. It was quite an experience as we discussed baseball and cricket all day. I didn't know much about cricket before going but watched the video I linked so I would at least have a clue. I was able to keep up with what was going on and Jules was filling me in too on some of the finer points of the game. Very interesting game.
I remember the first ever live baseball game on British TV, Montreal Expos @ Chicago Cubs. The American commentary team knew it was being broadcast in Britain so there were a few comments about Britain, kind of fun when they looked at the cricket scores that day and teams had scored like 300 runs in one inning. I can't see test cricket/first class cricket taking off stateside, I could see a market for T20 though which is pretty much an home run Derby.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Funny. I watched two highlights videos of 20-over games on Youtube yesterday while bored.

I bought a cricket game some years back but really couldn't get into it, much like I couldn't get into baseball without watching live games first. I better start taking weeks off for cricket then.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:36 PM   #6
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
In one of my previous jobs I worked with many who were of south Asian ethnicity and we did not have a lot to bond over when we did not discuss work. I did notice that they talked cricket non stop. So I forced myself to learn the game and then talked about it with them and then ended up buying a few cricket PC/PS4 games.

Now I can talk about and discuss the sport and enjoy it even if I don't follow it closely and day by day.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:20 PM   #7
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Rumor is it's a wildly popular game

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote