Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:26 AM   #1001
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

It's good to see the Patriots out, but, I think we all knew they weren't going anywhere in the playoffs with that offense. The surprise was when they lost to the Broncos in '15.

They'll retool and be back next year.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #1002
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

The Patriots were the worst 12-4 team in the playoffs. They were going to lose at some point. Losing last night was not all that surprising.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:29 AM   #1003
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
It's good to see the Patriots out, but, I think we all knew they weren't going anywhere in the playoffs with that offense. The surprise was when they lost to the Broncos in '15.

They'll retool and be back next year.
Retool? Of course. But what happens at QB? Does Brady stay? And would that be a good thing? He finished 27th in comp%. Lower than 2 of his former backups (Garappolo & Brissett). Lower than 2 rookies (Murray & Jones). Lower than 2 backups (Kyle Allen & Mason Rudolph). Lower than often criticized Trubisky & Goff. If NE pays Brady Brady $, it will be a sentimental choice, not an intelligent choice. And that is not a Belichek move. That will be a Kraft move. If you make the Kraft move, then how much is left over to "retool"?

If you make the Belichek move, what is your answer at QB? Stidham & Kessler? The good news is the draft is loaded, LOADED, at WR. But what good will an upgrade be if you don't have someone to get them the ball? And if McDaniels leaves (please don't go to Carolina. PLEASE!!!) who grooms the new guy?

Patriots are at a real crossroads here. And I don't see easy answers anywhere. We give Belichek a lot of credit and he deserves it a good heap of it. But he can't fix everything with his intellect.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #1004
low
Hall Of Famer

Watching them lose is certainly satisfying.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:21 AM   #1005
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Retool? Of course. But what happens at QB? Does Brady stay? And would that be a good thing? He finished 27th in comp%. Lower than 2 of his former backups (Garappolo & Brissett). Lower than 2 rookies (Murray & Jones). Lower than 2 backups (Kyle Allen & Mason Rudolph). Lower than often criticized Trubisky & Goff. If NE pays Brady Brady $, it will be a sentimental choice, not an intelligent choice. And that is not a Belichek move. That will be a Kraft move. If you make the Kraft move, then how much is left over to "retool"?

If you make the Belichek move, what is your answer at QB? Stidham & Kessler? The good news is the draft is loaded, LOADED, at WR. But what good will an upgrade be if you don't have someone to get them the ball? And if McDaniels leaves (please don't go to Carolina. PLEASE!!!) who grooms the new guy?

Patriots are at a real crossroads here. And I don't see easy answers anywhere. We give Belichek a lot of credit and he deserves it a good heap of it. But he can't fix everything with his intellect.
If they all played with the exact same team, I'd agree. The Patriots existed on WRs like Cole Beasley types and serviceable RBs. This year they went a bit too far into the dumpster. On offense in many games if his first read wasn't there he just threw it away. He either didn't trust his WRs or didn't have the time.

My guess is that he'll play one more year with the Patriots. Fix the WR position and shore up the offensive line. Then we'll see if he's 27th. It won't be hard to do. They don't need super stars at WR or RB to win. But they need something out there besides Edelman.

Keep in mind. Even with the team he had this year the Patriots went 12-4.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #1006
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If they all played with the exact same team, I'd agree. The Patriots existed on WRs like Cole Beasley types and serviceable RBs. This year they went a bit too far into the dumpster. On offense in many games if his first read wasn't there he just threw it away. He either didn't trust his WRs or didn't have the time.

My guess is that he'll play one more year with the Patriots. Fix the WR position and shore up the offensive line. Then we'll see if he's 27th. It won't be hard to do. They don't need super stars at WR or RB to win. But they need something out there besides Edelman.

12-4 because of the D. In the last 9, 4-5 because of the O. First 8 games 65% comp %. Last 9 under 57%. When the D stopped coming up w/TO's and scores themselves, the offense got exposed. He will be 43 when the preseason starts next August. The only reason why it is hard for people to believe Brady is finally regressing is because it is Brady. The man has rarely ever had great wideouts before. Why are they now to blame? Father Time is undefeated.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #1007
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Patriots reminds me of a team you take over in an OOTP online league, best players either retired (Gronk), nearing retirement (Brady) or about worn out (Edelman 33) or at an age closer to the end than the start most of the D will be in their 30s next season. Also I know you can say it about other teams and yes they finished 12-4 but they did have an easy schedule Dolphins, Jets both twice, Bengals, Redskins, Giants and Browns even losing to Miami.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #1008
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Now that Brady is out of the playoffs, I can get 100% behind the Saints. My other hope for the playoffs is for the Chiefs to lose next week in embarrassing fashion. I have nothing against KC and I like Mahomes, but Nick Wright is a hairboy worm and hearing him eat crow on air will rock.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #1009
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The question is though, will they be able to retool enough for Brady to be successful next year? There's a lot of retooling necessary. Would Brady want to go through a year just a little bit better than this year?
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
Old 01-05-2020, 01:53 PM   #1010
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Now that Brady is out of the playoffs, I can get 100% behind the Saints. My other hope for the playoffs is for the Chiefs to lose next week in embarrassing fashion. I have nothing against KC and I like Mahomes, but Nick Wright is a hairboy worm and hearing him eat crow on air will rock.
With Brady gone, I'm rooting for Baltimore. I'm digging Lamar Jackson.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #1011
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
With Brady gone, I'm rooting for Baltimore. I'm digging Lamar Jackson.
Jackson is a blast to watch, but I live in Louisiana. Can't and won't root for LSU, though.,
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #1012
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

As a Panther fan, I enjoy watching the Saints lose. But I'll repeat myself: Both teams not getting the ball in OT is not fair. I loathe the NFL's OT rules. I despise them. Especially for the playoffs. You work all year, fight tooth and nail for 60 minutes, and it almost comes down to a 50-50 call at the end of regulation. And if you are the home team, you don't even have a say in that. You have to hope the opponent calls heads & it lands tails. I hate it.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #1013
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Both teams should be given a shot, no skill in winning a toss of a coin.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:37 PM   #1014
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

It's officially official - He's gone - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-cowboys-coach

Last edited by Bluenoser; 01-05-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #1015
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Both teams should be given a shot, no skill in winning a toss of a coin.
But there is skill in a defense stopping the other team from scoring.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #1016
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm going to wait and believe it when I see it. When he is finally removed, preferably by defenestration, I'm going to have the biggest night of debauchery in my lifetime. But it's all rumors until then.

The next step would be dealing with the situation of our quarterback. He's supposedly asking for top dollar, and even though I like the dude, he's not worth it. Transition tag him and draft another QB.
Someone get ragnar a designated driver.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-05-2020, 07:49 PM   #1017
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Not beautiful football. But each WC game went down to the wire. If Dallas had one iota of heart the Eagles have, they would have won 13. I don't think NBC said enough about Clowney's illegal hit on Wentz. That play, probably more than any, won the game for Seattle.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 01-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #1018
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Not beautiful football. But each WC game went down to the wire. If Dallas had one iota of heart the Eagles have, they would have won 13. I don't think NBC said enough about Clowney's illegal hit on Wentz. That play, probably more than any, won the game for Seattle.

I'm hoping he has to sit next weekend, at the very least.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:46 PM   #1019
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Can’t believe the Pats and Saints are gone already. I think the Ravens have an easy path if they don’t screw it up.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:52 PM   #1020
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
I'm hoping he has to sit next weekend, at the very least.
Let's not focus on just Clowney. Let us also put the refs in the scope. We have seen way too often benign hits and simple tackles on the QB called as personal fouls. When I saw the hit Wentz took live, I immediately thought it was excessive. Then when NBC finally got around to focusing on it, I could see on the replay that it was clearly a textbook flag. But the zebras, who are supposed to be focusing on player safety, who are supposed to be protecting the QB from excessive rough play, completely missed it.

It is highly frustrating to see refs change results, momentum, and the flow of the game throughout the season due to over-cautiousness, then when the games matter most, miss the obvious.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance