Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 01-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
HoustonGalaxy
Bat Boy

Questions about Player Development and playing through games

Should I expect a prospect's potential to eventually fall? It seems like my best prospects always start out with say 4 stars potential but they will inevitably plateau at 3 stars or less. I play minor leaguers in spring training and if they do well I call them up from time to time to perform in the majors. My current CF prospect Mike Turner is a 2 star player but has always been predicted to be a 4 star player. Over the course of this season he hit well in the minors and played in 47 major league games where he hit .240 and slugged .407 with 5 home runs. Not too bad, but then I notice at the end of the season his potential has dropped all the way to three stars. I have noticed this pattern on a majority of my good prospects. Granted, I've never had a top 10 prospect in my system, so am I just seeing the norm as far as prospects go? Will a player rarely meet their predicted potential? With Mike Turner, I had planned to bring him into my starting lineup this year (he's 24, played for 3 years in the minors). Did bringing him to the majors for 47 games impact his development? Should I have left him in the minors, and should I send him back to the minors this year? I have a starting pitcher in a similar situation. I had to reach into my minor leagues for my 5 starter last season, he is a 1.5 star player projected to be 3.5. He had an okay season with a 4.92 ERA and a 9-8 record, but now I'm scared if I leave him in as a starter this year he will lose potential and he will flat-line at 2 stars since he's stayed one whole year at 1.5. I guess my ultimate question here is: will a player reach his max potential in the minors, and should I call them up before they reach that max potential?

My other question pertains "auto-resolve" and play by play games. I love to play through the actual games. Usually I will just click "at-bat" but I've been getting better at doing pitch-by-pitch as well. Occasionally I'll just sim through a few games if I feel I am out of rhythm and am losing games that I over-manage. Often I find the most winning strategy is to simulate a half-inning when I am up at bat and then do at-bat or pitch-by-pitch for when I am pitching so that I can manage the bullpen myself. I always just seem to have more luck when I do half-inning for offense. Is there a real difference between going at-bat by at-bat when you are hitting vs. simulating the inning? I guess I want to know more about what the computer is deciding to do when I click "at-bat," since it's actually a button I rely on a lot. And like I said, I love playing the games through, so it isn't as fun when I have to go back and read what my team accomplished on offense. That being said, I have plenty of games where I just destroy the other team and I play through every at-bat, so maybe it's all perceptual and it's just that baseball makes no sense sometimes and you never know what's going to happen

Those are my main questions. I accidentally went into too much detail earlier and wrote about my experience with the game thus far if anyone is interested:

My first team was the Eugene Redwoods, and I played in a fictional league with the same structure as the MLB but with team names and places that I picked. I loved my players and loved playing through each game and trying to apply my own strategy to what is otherwise a simulated game. My rivalries with the Milstead Soyfields and the Carlsbad Crawfish were epic and I had a future hall of famer Sergio Perez lead me to some great seasons. However, I fell into some bad habits as the Commisioner and I began to drastically overspend on free agents every year as well as force trades that were heavily in my favor. I let Perez go after his nine year contract was over and he was 37. He wanted 40 million a year for five more years and I said no. Little did I know he would go to my rivals the Crawfish and absolutely rake until he retired at age 42, including multiple victories over me in the postseason. I played for a while after that trying to learn the farm system better, but I felt pretty lost, and the decisions I had made to trade away prospects for stars had left my minor league teams with a handful of 1 star players. I knew then that my cheating had ultimately failed. I decided to abandon that league and start another fictional league. Now I play as the Houston Galaxy and I've played through 5 seasons and done well. I do raise my budget to be equal to a big market but I don't fix injuries (although I turned them down a notch), and I definitely don't overspend on free agents and stay under whatever budget I set. In my previous fictional league I learned the hard way that overspending to field a super-team sapped a lot of the strategy out of the game as well as leaving me hamstrung, and I think I'm learning a lot about how to play through the games. However, the reason I am making this post is because I do still have questions about the difference between playing through games versus simulating them, and the best way to develop minor league players. Thanks for your time!
HoustonGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

potential should remain the same without any TCR effecets -- talent change randomness setting. does what it sounds like and has a "dial," if interested.

even so, it can change over time, too. aging/tcr etc...wahtever other effect that might be in existence but not mentione din manual etc etc...

if you see it very often and typically when they reach majors, more likely scouting inaccuracy being corrected. younger they are and the less time in your system or even just time in someone else's MiL system, affects accuracy of what you see.

AI Eval will influence what you see too. if they do better than normally rated, their ratings will look better than they once did and vice versa. settings, also with some dials. when you see someone that's 80overall and 60potential, this is AI-Evaluation caused. (a setting can hide differences in ovr/pot, maybe? so again, check settings, refer to manual if different than what i say - i'm assuming default mostly)

things definitely become more clear in the majors, so a little shift can definitely occur due to scouting inaccuracy in a persistent and frequent way.

while overall is correlated to success, it is not 100% indicative of it. stop using overall to make a decision on any player personnell. either thay have the stuff/move/cont to be successful or they don't. whatever you do, don't base it on overall. batting is easier than pitching to predict. fewer variables to deal with -- pitch selection, stuff per pitch, gb% etc etc...

a pitcher can look similar to another via Ovr, but be drastically different on the field. it can be learned.

calling up too early might be a bad thing? from the manual, MLB has the best development rate, whatever that means... I look at it this way, which may or may not be correct: each level has a "soft cap" as far as how well and far the guy develops. it does not 100% prevent them from developing over that cap -- otherwise the AI would be wrecking careers left and right. plenty of guys can develop even in Rookie, if buried, from experience. it's just a reduced and less efficient path.

can bringing them up early stunt development? maybe... i wouldn't bring up a guy with sub-50/100 contact very often. i will often promote someone before their Power develops, of course. the player they are replacing can delay things beyond what i typically prefer too -- so i have rules i follow but they bend in this context. if they are ~80% devleoped and HoF quality, i am VERY hesitant to send them back for "1" more year. i prefer they develop 7-8-9 in lineup or back of pen for releivers, 5th starter for SP -- but some SP go to pen if 3rd pitch isn't devloped... etc etc it gets complicated but all dictated by basic logic and need at the time.

as far as simulating or playing a game -- the same odds are played out as long as you make the same decisions etc... obviously you'll deviate from what the AI chooses to do, but had the AI did you you would have, the same odds would have been applied. (new rng, so no idea if same result, but same odds of each possible result is best we can say for this context)

you can "cheat" by taking a pitch over and over and swinging on the X-2 count, lol.. sorry if i opened pandora's box... it has to do with the dynamics of how they determine outcome. basically the count is meaningless, because they only generate a random seed 1 time per AB in regards to hit/nohit and what results -- errors are seperate %/seed or something.

but, as long as you don't abuse the system of code behind the game, it will be the same result as clicking AB or allowing AI to play out game -- each decisions made will have the same %'s of various outcomes, regardless of you clicking or the AI.

you may want to play a season with 100% accuracy, just to get a baseline on ratings without any of the complicated stuff affecting it. you'll see how aging and TCR take place and a general idea on frequency. then, when you see it amplified as you turn scouting back on, it will be clear just how much of what you see is wrong due to scout, and when it is active, it can easily confuse you as to what the real cause was in the game for any change in ratings you see over time.

turning off TCR ("0") and AI -Evaluation set to 100% ratings might be a good idea for this little experiement, if you choose to try it. either turn them back on one at a time to learn them, or just 'get' the concept and start playing, doesn't matter.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-23-2019 at 11:08 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
HoustonGalaxy
Bat Boy

Thank you so much for your response! I had no idea that scouting had such a huge impact. I really value your insight into my questions, I think I will give that 100% accuracy a try in a different league just to see what you mean. Thanks!
HoustonGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:40 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

yeah, just to see how it works without inaccuracy can help a lot.

any changes you see over time are definitely aging and TCR. may want to turn TCR to "0" too.

i wouldn't recommend playing that way normally, of course. wouldn't be much fun.

while you have the blinders off, sort by "overall" or "potential" for entire league, draft classes etc... get an idea for proportion and how often the really good talent comes along. there may only be 1-2 transcendent players at any 1 position... more 1B redundancies than SS or C, of course.

get a good baseline to work with. the most drastic difference will be what you see in draft pools. you'll see just how many are overrated, initially. just like RL, scouts are horrendous at guessing on young prospects.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote