Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #41
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
Are you guys all playing for money or something? I've never understood why someone would cheat in an online league.
you don't have to understand the reason. But it happens.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:57 AM   #42
canadian content
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Well, if you don't trust your commissioner not to cheat, then I would suggest finding a new online league. I mean, there's nothing stopping them from simming games and killing the process until their team wins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
that's not a fair opinion to have. It's like saying if I don't feel safe enough to leave my house unlocked, i should move to another house. No matter where I live, if someone really wants in my house, they can get in.
This is why this game will always be a solo game to me.

I remember playing in an online Stratomatic league where you played your games and then sent the file in. I remember feeling really uneasy about the entire process when I started winning a lot of games and at that point I knew that type of online game system wasn't going to be a game for me. I play Scoresheet Baseball for my online fix and OOTP occasionally for solo play.

OOTP is an amazing program. It would be great if there was a server that ran the sims and league members could then go to that site to pick up the league files. There will always be trust issues with the online version of the game unless the developers do something that will address this concern.

Of course, there are those that feel the system in place is fine as it is.
canadian content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #43
ThePretender
All Star Starter

See, I'm the opposite. I get bored to death playing the AI because it's just so, so bad. At least people give legitimate competition, but I've never found the AI a challenge to play against.

I trust the commish in the online leagues that I'm in, so for me it's not an issue.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #44
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

I want both.
I want to trust the commish AND have checks that provide some accountability.
I have been in leagues with shenanigans and it was not fun.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:54 AM   #45
Hooray Saturday
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
Are you guys all playing for money or something? I've never understood why someone would cheat in an online league.

ooooooh! are there any money OOTP leagues??? I want in!
Hooray Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #46
injury log
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooray Saturday View Post
Ha, I'd probably want in too if I knew it was all above board, but I've been around a while and have never once heard of a league like that.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #47
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Someone ran one, I cannot remember the details.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #48
ThePretender
All Star Starter

A $$ league is awesome but I'd feel bad about taking all of your money :P.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:37 PM   #49
Huckleberry
All Star Reserve

I agree in a perfect world the commissioner should not be able to see true ratings, but even if OOTP doesn't allow them to see those in-game there's still an issue. OOTPOU and Statslab both require that information in order to generate their pages. So the only way an online league can ensure that nobody can see true ratings is for OOTP to be updated not to allow the commissioner to edit players and also for that league not to use OOTPOU or Statslab.

And by the way, a solution to this issue is instead of tracking manual edits to any player the game could instead track the "Play in commissioner mode" toggle (or create a new similar toggle for online leagues that is tracked). Make it an option for the commissioner not to be able to edit players. Then report the status of that toggle on a page both in the game and on the HTML reports file somewhere, as well as if that toggle has been changed at any point.

But even then the commissioner could copy the online league directory, give it a new name on his PC, load the new game, change the toggle, then look at everything. Seems absurd but if someone REALLY wants to cheat there's nothing the developers can do to stop every idea. That's why it's important to be in a league with a good trustworthy commissioner.

Speaking of which, feel free to join the World Baseball Association's waiting list. We have completed 5 seasons and there have been 5 different winners of my 10 team subleague. I'm not one of them.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:50 PM   #50
BeanballComin
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
I if someone REALLY wants to cheat there's nothing the developers can do to stop every idea.
Amen !
BeanballComin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #51
ShaneCarson
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooray Saturday View Post
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ay-league.html

This was one of the earlier attempts for a money league that I remember.
ShaneCarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #52
canadian content
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
Seems absurd but if someone REALLY wants to cheat there's nothing the developers can do to stop every idea. That's why it's important to be in a league with a good trustworthy commissioner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanballComin View Post
Amen !
Interesting.

I can't remember anyone cheating in my Stratomatic online leagues (Stratomatic's server based game) or when I played Dynasty League Baseball online or etc. etc. .........
canadian content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:28 PM   #53
Hooray Saturday
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneCarson View Post
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ay-league.html

This was one of the earlier attempts for a money league that I remember.

dang, i totally would've joined that league, i guess i wasn't paying much attention in 2010!
Hooray Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:50 AM   #54
jDaveMc1984
Minors (Single A)

So... I just apparently got "busted" doing this, although not for the reason the OP has stated. I was simming ahead for what-if scenarios on my upcoming season. I didn't even think it was that big of a deal until I posted about it on my league's Slack. My co-commish notified me of how it could be taken, so naturally I took the post down.

Welp... this caused an unprecedented ****storm resulting in my ousting. I'm not complaining about the ousting because I honestly see how it could be seen as cheating. Although I disagree that simming ahead once is a while is cheating, considering the sim is never the same twice, and then only way you could gain an edge on other GM's is if you simmed ahead a decade a few hundred times. I don't nearly have that much time.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:33 AM   #55
USF
All Star Starter

I played in a league which I am not a member of anymore- where one of the top GMs in the league that won many titles told me he would cheat when offering contracts to his players in order to get the best deal. He would just reload the league file and keep going until he fined the lowest offer the player would accept. This really bothered me and I know I have shared some comments privately to Markus in the past including another bug I found to display real player ratings that does not involve the system described here in this thread. I agree with his comments that if people are going to cheat they are going to cheat. Very hard to stop them. I feel the commissioners' log would be a simple yet effective way to handle this situation but not solve it. Regarding this behavior with contract offers not sure what could be done other than leave the league when you learn about this crap.

BTW - Strat is easy to cheat in - I have caught many replaying games until they won before they submitted their results. Whenever they net played their games their record was .300 lower ie., .800 ball club turned to a .500 club.

Last edited by USF; 01-03-2017 at 01:35 AM.
USF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #56
jDaveMc1984
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF View Post
I played in a league which I am not a member of anymore- where one of the top GMs in the league that won many titles told me he would cheat when offering contracts to his players in order to get the best deal. He would just reload the league file and keep going until he fined the lowest offer the player would accept. This really bothered me and I know I have shared some comments privately to Markus in the past including another bug I found to display real player ratings that does not involve the system described here in this thread. I agree with his comments that if people are going to cheat they are going to cheat. Very hard to stop them. I feel the commissioners' log would be a simple yet effective way to handle this situation but not solve it. Regarding this behavior with contract offers not sure what could be done other than leave the league when you learn about this crap.

BTW - Strat is easy to cheat in - I have caught many replaying games until they won before they submitted their results. Whenever they net played their games their record was .300 lower ie., .800 ball club turned to a .500 club.

I would leave a league if the commissioner were doing that. However I don't really see a problem with people simming ahead to see how their team does for a season. I, obviously see a problem with simming a few hundred times to get true player ratings.

So I think there is a grey area to simming ahead. You could use it for pure analytical purposes or to truly gain an unfair advantage
Old 01-04-2017, 10:10 PM   #57
nebradska
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jDaveMc1984 View Post
I would leave a league if the commissioner were doing that. However I don't really see a problem with people simming ahead to see how their team does for a season. I, obviously see a problem with simming a few hundred times to get true player ratings.

So I think there is a grey area to simming ahead. You could use it for pure analytical purposes or to truly gain an unfair advantage
There's absolutely no gray area to simming ahead. That's gaining unfair insight into development and aging probabilities, among other things.
nebradska is offline   Reply With Quote