Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #1
Trebro
All Star Reserve

All Star/HOF Voting--Any Chance on Elaboration?

Is there any chance someone could talk a bit more about how the voting is going to work?

I know most folks want the roster stuff--which is outstanding, by the way--but it's the extra record-keeping that interests me most, in terms of looking at budgeting for an upgrade.

Thanks!
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:53 AM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Things are still liable to change, but as of now, it's done by the AI. Each year, I use a combination of metrics (Jaws, black ink, gray ink, hof monitor, hof standards), as well as previous vote history, to simulate the Hall of Fame voting. I release the whole ballot, so you'll be able to see vote totals for everyone. I don't think I want to release my full methods, but I've done some testing and so far it looks fairly solid. I can't adjust for voters leaving off guys like Bonds and Clemens, so I will say that if you start a new game, they will make the Hall within a couple seasons. You should also be able to manually induct or not players after the fact in the editor if you don't agree with me.

Right now, there's no human/manual voting. There's a chance we can add in manual balloting, like the All-Star changes, where your vote will either count for a portion of the vote (and for online leagues, have the Hall be entirely voted by the human managers), but we'll have to see what the overall desire for that is. The various thresholds (years to wait, years on ballot, acceptance threshold) are all configurable. We also import the historical vote totals from the past years, so if you're starting a new quickstart, you'll have the whole voting history.

We've also changed the screen to view Hall of Famers, so that it's not so... boring. You can search and sort similar to the current Hall of Fame site (The Hall of Fame members).

It still needs testing, and may change slightly going forward. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I have a feeling this is one email in January that I'm going to look forward to greatly in my games (although having written the feature, I'm going to forever be tweaking it to make sure the right players get elected).
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Will popularity play a part? So a "disliked" player (eg Bonds) is less likely to get votes than a very popular one?

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Will popularity play a part? So a "disliked" player (eg Bonds) is less likely to get votes than a very popular one?
Yes, popularity is factored in. Currently, I don't have a "disliked" player lose nearly as many votes as Bonds and Clemens have in real life, but certainly a guy who is extremely popular will get a few more votes than someone who is only "popular" or less.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
Recte44
Global Moderator

Definitely want the option for human managers to do the voting. It's a must for online leagues.

Can it be turned off alternatively?
Old 01-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #6
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recte44 View Post
Definitely want the option for human managers to do the voting. It's a must for online leagues.

Can it be turned off alternatively?
As a commish you can always go in and edit who is in the HoF and who not. That's what online leagues have been doing anyway, I suppose.

The criteria for the election is editable, by the way (i.e. % of votes needed etc).
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
native son
Minors (Double A)

I've been hoping for this addition through many versions, so thanks for this! I LOVE the inclusion of metrics vs. the milestones. I hope we'll be able to customize the weights of each metric (Jaws, black ink, gray ink, hof monitor, hof standards), similar to the way that we're able to customize AI evaluation. Will this be the case?
Old 01-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #8
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by native son View Post
I've been hoping for this addition through many versions, so thanks for this! I LOVE the inclusion of metrics vs. the milestones. I hope we'll be able to customize the weights of each metric (Jaws, black ink, gray ink, hof monitor, hof standards), similar to the way that we're able to customize AI evaluation. Will this be the case?
Currently no, although we'll think about it.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #9
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yes, popularity is factored in. Currently, I don't have a "disliked" player lose nearly as many votes as Bonds and Clemens have in real life, but certainly a guy who is extremely popular will get a few more votes than someone who is only "popular" or less.
Markus, you could just have the HoF balloting use PED suspensions as a very major negative factor. Reduce it severely for one, make it impossible if they get two.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Markus, you could just have the HoF balloting use PED suspensions as a very major negative factor. Reduce it severely for one, make it impossible if they get two.
Except neither had PED suspensions, and drug suspensions will be off with the MLB going forward.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #11
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Are PED suspensions even in 16 or did they have to get taken out due to the MLB license?

Edit: NYY beat me to it
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan26 View Post
Are PED suspensions even in 16 or did they have to get taken out due to the MLB license?

Edit: NYY beat me to it
They are still in OOTP, just not for MLB. You can have them in fictional leagues.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #13
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

A Hall of Fame voting sounds fantastic. What an innovative addition. Let me ask you this - for leagues that are already running on Ootp15, how will the game treat existing players who already retired. my league is 12 years old and no one has been inducted to the hall. When i import my game into 16, will the game treat all retired players as though they were in year one of eligibility and then do the vote accordingly. Or will the Hall of Fame voting only work prospectively with those players who began playing in the OOTP 16?
aslanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #14
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY #23 View Post
Except neither had PED suspensions, and drug suspensions will be off with the MLB going forward.
They still exist in fictional leagues though (and indeed I think are the only way a player can be "disliked"). I wouldn't say it should be impossible, just quite a bit less likely.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #15
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve

Wait so obviously the system sounds great and integrating the new data for HOF consideration sounds fantastic, but what I'm concerned about is manual entry based off the HOF considerations/statistics.

What I mean by that is, I always turn of automatic induct into HOF especially for my fictional leagues. What I want is to determine who makes it and when, however in doing so I want to do so using the JAWS and other metrics to compare the players.

So my question is basically can we still do that? Can we still manually add to the HOF and turn off the voting system automatically inducting.

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #16
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
They are still in OOTP, just not for MLB. You can have them in fictional leagues.
Oh nice I only play fictional leagues anyway so I'm quite happy to hear that. Thanks for the clarification
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #17
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinthePOWERHOUSE View Post
Wait so obviously the system sounds great and integrating the new data for HOF consideration sounds fantastic, but what I'm concerned about is manual entry based off the HOF considerations/statistics.

What I mean by that is, I always turn of automatic induct into HOF especially for my fictional leagues. What I want is to determine who makes it and when, however in doing so I want to do so using the JAWS and other metrics to compare the players.

So my question is basically can we still do that? Can we still manually add to the HOF and turn off the voting system automatically inducting.
Yes, you can. And to help you out, I even display a players' JAWS score on his player profile, so that should save you some calculating work as well
Old 01-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #18
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Absolutely loving the fresh meat.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #19
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslanking View Post
A Hall of Fame voting sounds fantastic. What an innovative addition. Let me ask you this - for leagues that are already running on Ootp15, how will the game treat existing players who already retired. my league is 12 years old and no one has been inducted to the hall. When i import my game into 16, will the game treat all retired players as though they were in year one of eligibility and then do the vote accordingly. Or will the Hall of Fame voting only work prospectively with those players who began playing in the OOTP 16?
Every year, it looks for players which (by default) have retired between 5 and 15 years ago. So if a guy just retired in 15 and then you import to 16, he'll show up on the ballot in 5 years. If he retired over 5 years ago, then he'll show up year one on the ballot.

Now, I will warn people, if your league is like 50-60 years in the future, I don't back-fill votes or anything, so you might see some guys only show up on my ballot once, and then never get consideration again. But hopefully it should catch a few people who should make it. And again, if you want anyone else, you can always induct them manually.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #20
Trebro
All Star Reserve

Thanks for the info, Matt:

So the short version is that for the HoF, the game is going to think in more than just terms of hitting the "counting stats" and take into account a series of metrics, including the counting stats, and generate a simulated vote accordingly?

And as I understand it, the All Star voting will be similar, but with some player popularity thrown in, so it's not as closely tied to the WAR score as it is now?
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote