Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #81
thepete
Minors (Double A)

I see RFA/offer sheets still aren't implemented? Terrible.

Seems like the fact that you don't sign staff to time-limited contracts means that there's not enough staff to go around. There's like 25 coaches/scouts/assistant coaches to hire after 1 season, because everyone else IN THE WORLD is under contract.

And the handling of signing your draftees is still terrible. I qualify them, they're immensely insulted, they refuse to negotiate ever again and go sign somewhere else.
thepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #82
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Please do not liken fhm's UI to OOTPs there are very few similarities. Put up a poll see what people think. I'm sure overwhelmingly you will find its not an issue of "taste" it's been flawed and ignored from day one with an assumed excuse that "someone likes it" the UI is vital because it dictates how you interact with the game! Not only is it ugly but player pages lack tooltips for stats (problem for many novice and some advanced players) and expanded categories for goalies are blank.

One of the best things about OOTPB is its UI which is nothing like FHM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post

On a general note: GUI is always a lot of personal taste, some like FHM/OOTP, some don't, same with EHM (which I never liked the GUI, despite the game being great) or FM (I have big troubles to navigate the newest version). We know that FHM has a few bottlenecks in navigation, we know what people (e.g. archibalduk) would like to change to improve it and we will address it at some point.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #83
dmytron

Please try OOTP 2 (or OOTP 5). And tell us all about its UI.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #84
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
Please do not liken fhm's UI to OOTPs there are very few similarities. Put up a poll see what people think. I'm sure overwhelmingly you will find its not an issue of "taste" it's been flawed and ignored from day one with an assumed excuse that "someone likes it" the UI is vital because it dictates how you interact with the game! Not only is it ugly but player pages lack tooltips for stats (problem for many novice and some advanced players) and expanded categories for goalies are blank.

One of the best things about OOTPB is its UI which is nothing like FHM.
I respect your opinion and we should just agree that we have different opinions. People who don't like something tend to be much louder then people who just enjoy (the game).

To take a constructive route I ask you to list the 10 biggest differences to the OOTP GUI, that make FHM for you hard to play. I will take that list and talk it through on Monday in the office.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #85
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Seems my ears are burning in this thread!

Just for the record, I have no issue with how FHM looks. I really don't care about the GUI/eye-candy - it can look like OOTPB or EHM or something new for all I care. It is a text sim after all.

I do however feel there are many ease of use issues and data/stats layout issues. There is far too much clicking and too many menus within menus, etc (I think the OOTPB-style shortcut bar would help to quite an extent and I think more buttons could be added to the Roster Views, etc). I don't think this is really a question of taste per se; something either involves lots of clicking/navigating or it doesn't.

The categorisation of stats could also be improved (e.g. Player Stats 1, Player Stats 2, etc make no sense and this isn't the way any mainstream hockey website organises things). I've posted detailed feedback and suggestions on this in the Research Forum and other researchers/testers have chipped in too. In fact I was thinking earlier last week I should go back over my feedback and add to it.

Anyhow, clearly things like the match engine, AI, etc need to take priority over the UI - especially as the dev team is so small. The devs have acknowledged things can be improved and they said they'd look into the feedback of the testers (and the users in the public forums). We can't really ask for more than that IMO.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #86
batdad
Minors (Single A)

Thank you Jeff and Sebastien. THis is what I was hoping to hear, going back to months ago when Archi/Colin made his long post about the UI.

1. No I never expect it to look like EHM; like archi above here it is the way things link and work together. It is clunky and feels like a clickfest, which to me takes away from the enjoyment. Sure there are things that irk me about EHM UI...as it too can at times seem click fest. But where you click and what it does makes sense, and works.

2. You prioritized what needs to be fixed properly for the most part. I would have worked on UI first, as it is first impression but.... that is fine and your choice to make. YOu went scouting, AI, training, and now match engine. All things that I was hoping would get a ton of work, and you have. I thank you for that.

3. Just wanted to make sure that the UI did not get lost in the shuffle, and I am glad it has not. And no...I am not looking for EHM UI in FHM UI. Just what Colin has said above.

4. Good, glad you are listening to the most experienced hockey management game players out there. That will make the game great. (BTW-I never said archi felt unlistened to Jeff...I just said I wondered if they were being listened to. I am glad they are. They are invaluable to the process of making your game great.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #87
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

So far I really like the patch.

I won't lie, I wouldn't mind some cosmetic changes myself, but it's not making the game unplayable. I'd rather thave it look like this and function perfectly than look reallu nice but be filled with bugs.

I like how now, teams contact you for jobs. At least when you start the game.

Just want to point out something though, I've noticed there are no available jobs in my first season. I'm starting unemployed and greenhorn but usually there was teams from British leagues available. I'm in the AHL right now in my first year. Is that a bug maybe, or because I'm greenhorn?
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #88
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjo View Post
So far I really like the patch.

I won't lie, I wouldn't mind some cosmetic changes myself, but it's not making the game unplayable. I'd rather thave it look like this and function perfectly than look reallu nice but be filled with bugs.

I like how now, teams contact you for jobs. At least when you start the game.

Just want to point out something though, I've noticed there are no available jobs in my first season. I'm starting unemployed and greenhorn but usually there was teams from British leagues available. I'm in the AHL right now in my first year. Is that a bug maybe, or because I'm greenhorn?
Do you have all the leagues active or did you uncheck some of the during the startup?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #89
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckon View Post
Do you have all the leagues active or did you uncheck some of the during the startup?
All of them are active.
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #90
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjo View Post
All of them are active.
And there was no single job available when you started the game?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #91
thepete
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepete View Post

And the handling of signing your draftees is still terrible. I qualify them, they're immensely insulted, they refuse to negotiate ever again and go sign somewhere else.
After playing some more, it's tough to categorize this as anything but a gamebreaker. Quickfix sorely needed.
thepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #92
asilvermtzion
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
After playing some more, it's tough to categorize this as anything but a gamebreaker. Quickfix sorely needed.
i think the way that contracts are handled in general needs to be worked on. there is no negotiation, its give me what i want or im not signing. second contracts are far too high. in my game after the second season, every player who is signing his second contract is getting between 4.5million and 6.5million.
asilvermtzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #93
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Worst most tired argument EVER. It is like saying, "Well, that's the first FPS they released, so its okay it looks like the original DOOM."

And furthermore, the OOTP5 UI is better than this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytron View Post
Please try OOTP 2 (or OOTP 5). And tell us all about its UI.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 03-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #94
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Currently looking at the TEAM DEFENDING LEADERS section of the league report.. here is how it reads... Mind you wer are about 16 games into the season..

"Goals Against"

Tampa Bay Lightning 0
Philadelphia Flyers 093
St. Louis Blues 203

Goals Against PP
Pittsburgh Penguins 074
Vancouver Canucks 0
Dallas Stars 985

Goals Against SH
Vancouver Canucks 0
Columbus Blue Jackets 844
Anaheim Ducks 0

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 03-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #95
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
I just tried signing all of my 2014 draftees. Six of seven signed, plus five more taken in previous drafts. The only one who turned me down was a guy in Sweden with a year on his contract there who opted to stay there. I got them all to sign two-way deals for various amounts, only one of which (the first-rounder) got the full entry-level maximum.

What exactly is happening when you try to sign your picks? Are you offering them something close to their demands? They'll come down a little, more if you wait instead of pressing to sign them right away, but they won't all accept the minimum amount - that's for the late-rounders.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #96
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ggestions.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
I respect your opinion and we should just agree that we have different opinions. People who don't like something tend to be much louder then people who just enjoy (the game).

To take a constructive route I ask you to list the 10 biggest differences to the OOTP GUI, that make FHM for you hard to play. I will take that list and talk it through on Monday in the office.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

The Sports Medic
Old 03-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #97
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
I just tried signing all of my 2014 draftees. Six of seven signed, plus five more taken in previous drafts. The only one who turned me down was a guy in Sweden with a year on his contract there who opted to stay there. I got them all to sign two-way deals for various amounts, only one of which (the first-rounder) got the full entry-level maximum.

What exactly is happening when you try to sign your picks? Are you offering them something close to their demands? They'll come down a little, more if you wait instead of pressing to sign them right away, but they won't all accept the minimum amount - that's for the late-rounders.
I guess he's talking about the RFAs who negotiate their second contracts, but I may be wrong.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #98
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckon View Post
I guess he's talking about the RFAs who negotiate their second contracts, but I may be wrong.
If that's the case, they're not going to sign for the qualifying amount unless they're not very good.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #99
dmytron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
Worst most tired argument EVER. It is like saying, "Well, that's the first FPS they released, so its okay it looks like the original DOOM."

And furthermore, the OOTP5 UI is better than this game.
As for me, I don't like OOTP 5 UI. I think it's edgy, too many white color, buttons are not easy to push (in OOTP 8 better) and so on. Should I speak about OOTP 2?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #100
david.eriksson89
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
If that's the case, they're not going to sign for the qualifying amount unless they're not very good.
But the RFA are demanding completely unreasonable amounts of money. Ondrej Palat has had a good first season, 48 points in 82 games. He is demanding $6.3 million for three years in order to resign. That is completely unreasonable after playing only one season. Callahan, on the other hand, resigned for $5 so it doesn't look like experience is factored into the demands at all?
david.eriksson89 is offline   Reply With Quote