Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #61
Smetana
All Star Starter

I don't figure that will happen. They've advertised these features. Removing them now would look terrible from a PR standpoint.

Of course, the game in general isn't scoring too many points with the game buying public.

And now this talk about concentrating on features like online and customization for the next patch, and the news that Sebastian is switching his efforts to iOOTP (is this news or just an unsubstantiated rumor?). I'm still confident that the game will get where it needs to be. But how long will it take? FHM 2015?

It's frustrating, even for the more patient observers among us.
Smetana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #62
batdad
Minors (Single A)

So...started an NHL Season in Commish mode...I am unemployed, with most leagues (KHL, Canada, Finland, Sweden, USA, Russia, Germany) activated to be playable. Left out a couple of lower quality ones...

England (sorry Archi), France, Norway...etc

1. NHL teams are signing borderline Free Agents--Kris Barch, some sieve named Charpentier. And then...they trade them away within weeks. Barch traded 3 times during the season....Really? This is not going to happen. Not even close.

This to me alone means Trade AI is still a bit of a mess...Especially when Barch gets you NHL players.

2. At the end of the season, when contracts are expiring....and guys are set to become UFA...they are traded again.

Not once, and sometimes not twice...Charpentier was traded 3 times in 3 days. He HAS NO CONTRACT, and it is not exactly a situation where he is So good....that his rights are worth anything. And he is not dealt for low picks, dealt for prospects and players.

NHL teams do not trade upcoming UFAs willy nilly. They do move guys rights occasionally. But these are only top notch players.

Really--things have to be done about this kind of garbage. I am a patient guy, but starting to lose my patience...especially with the news that there is going to be more focus put on putting teams on the damn moon than working on the basics.

These are basics.

3. NHL teams are not qualifying very many upcoming RFAs. New York Rangers for example did not qualify Kreider. really? Come on. Vancouver did not qualify Tanev and Lack. It goes on and on and on.

Then the NHL teams in FA are going to scramble to sign bums to fill rosters and will not sign the RFAs.

4. The no two way contract thing is garbage.

WHL junior teams still have very sparse rosters--Is this going to get updated any time soon? Most draftpicks from the 2013 draft are NOT EVEN IN THE GAME. This game has been worked on for a year.

5. The goalie injury situation is NUTS. I have played with injury levels..moving up and down and all around...and still just about every team has had to use 4-5 goalies. Vancouver used 6, and had to sign Charpentier as there was noone else available.

God in the leaders for stats for goalies---Joe CAnnata...best save percentage and GAA. At least he did not play enough games to qualify for the awards....but wow. He has no hope of playing.

6. I have not even looked yet at the players teams let go UFA on JUly 1.

7. MOntreal beat St Louis to win the Stanley Cup. Right....

8. Teams seem to trade and change goalies left and right. In Junior Patrik Bartosak 2013 goalie of the year....has played on 3 teams in the WHL. Right. Sure.

9. In the NHL, Kari Ramo, Tim Thomas, Jonathon Quick, Nabokov, Backstrom, Harding (yeah Minny apparently hates goalies), Biron....have all been traded.

10. Hiller and Fasth in Anaheim both get injured at same time. Anaheim signs Bryzgalov...and Hiller and FAsth hardly play when come back from being hurt.

11. Edmonton's Devyn Dubnyk finished 2nd in the league in wins and save percentage. LOL.

12. Ben Scrivens plays more than Reimer and Bernier.

13. Phil Kessel wins the scoring championship with 62 goals. He added 24 assists...LOL to finish 2nd in points.

At least Crosby won the points total with 90. 22-68.

Jordan Eberle, 6th in goals, 4th in assists 3rd in points. Wow.

Long crazy post.....but when you have all this happening you can move on to online, fictional, custom leagues? Really?
Old 10-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #63
batdad
Minors (Single A)

Double postL

Guys whose rights were let go by NHL teams and are UFA

Ryan Johanssen
Brayden Schenn
Nino Niedereiter (hilarious considering i have heard from a few guys and seen a couple posts that he leads the NHL in scoring in year 2 sometimes)
Andrew Shaw--who was traded to Pittsburgh, for pretty much nothing.
and then let go by Pens
Dalton Thrower
SImon Despres
Devante Smith-Pelly

List goes on and on...

But here is the one that really chapped my hide.

Jordan Schroeder...apparently NOT QUALIFIED by Vancouver, even though I took them over and offered him a 3 million dollar contract for 4 years. He did not accept it because I put the 2 way clause on the offer. But he would be qualified off that offer alone.

These are just SOME of the guys with potential 8.0 and higher in my game. There are A TON of guys 6.5-7 that are age 21 and younger whose rights have been released.

In fact there are 400 guys who are age 19-25 who have potential of 7.0 and higher who are RFA or UFA. These are all guys who have NHL careers in some capacity ahead of them....and yet...they were released.

The basic AI of this game does not work properly. It just does not.

So...lets make sure we can put a team on the moon and have it compete. But no worries, they will have to bring in import players from Jupiter in order to fill roster and they will lose because of that.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #64
Northernsky
Major Leagues

Welcome to the peanut gallery. I think most people are in line somewhere with your post... I turned off injuries. I've tried the two way trade with everyone I've extended or signed and I am told to go to hell. In game mode last night I was scored on twice within 4 seconds by the same player in the conf semi finals (Edmonton playing Vancouver) - that does not happen in RL. But ya... I am still playing and I'll keep on playing despite the issues at hand.

Does anyone know how to work around the fact I lost my goalie in the middle of the year? He just vanished from the face of the earth. Aliens must have taken Dubnyk from me.

Scott
Northernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #65
batdad
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gustafson View Post
Welcome to the peanut gallery. I think most people are in line somewhere with your post...

Does anyone know how to work around the fact I lost my goalie in the middle of the year? He just vanished from the face of the earth. Aliens must have taken Dubnyk from me.

Scott
Nah been here basically since day 1. Needed to vent a bit....heh.

Still going to keep going, but...wow...needs serious work.

And too bad you lost Dubnyk ... in my game he is looking like a superstar. Cough.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #66
yzerwing
All Star Starter

Don't know if anyone has this issue, but I have had this in every patch for a long time. No matter what team I control, and in particular with goalies (also happens with players, but less), they disappear even though they show up under contract with me.

For example, playing as Buffalo (no ECHL affiliation), start the season with Miller/Enroth in Buffalo, with Matt Hackett, Nathan Leiuwen, and Connor Knapp in Rochester. At some point in the season, all three goalies are under contract, yet they don't show up on either Buffalo or Rochester, and Rochester has signed free agents to replace them.

Had the same happen under different seasons controlling Calgary, Florida, Washington, and Winnipeg, and am assuming it would be the same with every team. Not sure if this has to do with using commissioners mode or not, but I always use it, due to the many issues with contracts and ratings in this game.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #67
yzerwing
All Star Starter

In regards to nut and bolts of the game, also having a major issue after a few seasons of many players dropping drastically in speed, acceleration and other skills in that area. Players don't drop off so quickly as this.

Also, most good players after just one season are dropping in ability and potential after just one or two seasons. Something needs to be done to stop this. Usually 8-9 rated drop down to sevens, and 6-7 seem to drop to 6 and lower, while 5 rated drop to 4 and lower. Pretty soon they are useless.

I have been patient and defended this game, and will continue to do so, but the main game needs to be addressed in so many areas. I love the idea of custom mode and historic mode, but if they are costing the currently operating leagues from working properly, then will there be anyone purchasing the next game?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #68
Northernsky
Major Leagues

Sorry if I should have posted this in a better place. I've signed 4 out of the 6 guys who are up for an extension and i was wondering if it would be possible to have sort of label by there name so I remembered who's extended. It would save time so I would have to click more... so much clicking to get anywhere.

Edit: So two of the guys I resigned for multiple years are now out of my active roster and sitting on my waiver wire. I'm confused... why are they there? I have them set as normal players and I never moved them to the wire. Sooo... confused.

Also, when do my draftees turn up so I can sign them? My draftees from last year I send back to their teams and I am not able to sign them either.

thanks,

Scott

Last edited by Northernsky; 10-17-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Northernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #69
thepete
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzerwing View Post
Don't know if anyone has this issue, but I have had this in every patch for a long time. No matter what team I control, and in particular with goalies (also happens with players, but less), they disappear even though they show up under contract with me.

For example, playing as Buffalo (no ECHL affiliation), start the season with Miller/Enroth in Buffalo, with Matt Hackett, Nathan Leiuwen, and Connor Knapp in Rochester. At some point in the season, all three goalies are under contract, yet they don't show up on either Buffalo or Rochester, and Rochester has signed free agents to replace them.

Had the same happen under different seasons controlling Calgary, Florida, Washington, and Winnipeg, and am assuming it would be the same with every team. Not sure if this has to do with using commissioners mode or not, but I always use it, due to the many issues with contracts and ratings in this game.
Also had problems with this. I've got 4 goalies signed, 2 in NHL and 2 in the AHL. At some point I have to call up one and they're gone...only way to get them 'back' is to ask AI to set up organisation, which it does a ****ty job of, since it inevitably waives a useful player or two.
thepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #70
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

It's nice to see Jeff posting on the FHM forum again.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:04 AM   #71
Big T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by batdad View Post
7. MOntreal beat St Louis to win the Stanley Cup. Right....
This seems to be right on the mark...
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:27 AM   #72
nelsoncat
Minors (Single A)

suggestions

i don't know if everyone's game has these problems..but mine include:

adjusting contracts never actually reflects what the overall salary on my team is..for example, if i'm over by a million and adjust a players salary...i'm still over. the number doesn't change.

if I sim to the end of one period I am rarely able to get the clock back to normal speed for the next.

no rating for a players performance in a game is kind of ridiculous

why does a player peak at 25 years of age?

the salary cap thing makes the game kind of unplayable, I just sent phaneuf down and it decreased my team salary by 925000 ...his contract is 6 million. what the heck?!??

shots are way to high

trades are not realistic at all

my tactics never save

injuries are way too frequent

we need to be able to apply tactics to each single player

waiver wire might as well be non existent

being on the trade list doesn't make it easy to get a player away from his team

being able to hire a coach would be nice

some sort of media response or fan response to deals would be cool

no exhibition games?

blue jacket and yellow tie? really?

player ratings are way off

whenever a player is sent down the cap list is reduced by 925000 regardless of his contract. then nothing happens with the salary at all.

I do like the game so far and find myself playing it until something like the salary cap thing happens. keep working on it please...we need a great hockey sim that is as good as ehm was.

Last edited by nelsoncat; 10-18-2013 at 02:48 AM. Reason: addition
nelsoncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #73
Skadhauge
Minors (Rookie Ball)

23. Nicknames and preferred number now cleared properly when fictionalizing players for custom games.

Bit of a strange one, and I don't want to put it in the bug reports as I might be imagining things. But first custom game I made with fictional players after the patch, the players seemed to be randomly generated - the best netminder was a 25 yo American. But after starting new custom games I'm back to a #87 Nicknamed Sid the Kid on top of the pile.
Skadhauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #74
skrollins
Bat Boy

My game just literally became unplayable - as in, it actually refuses to load at all anymore, for incomprehensible reasons. I submitted a ticket as well as a post in Tech Support but given that nobody else seems to have this issue it might be my declining computer.

I feel like this patch makes some crucial improvements but the game still has many, many holes. Trading isn't nearly as unbalanced as it used to be, though you can still pull off many ridiculous deals (the trick is to put in multiple draft picks, but at least throwing in a 7th doesn't automatically make the trade accepted like it did before.)

The biggest shortcoming to me remains the draft. Far too few good North American players to be realistic and it also seems too shallow past the first rounds. I mean, if you're going to make draft picks magic beans to be used to finalize any trade, you should at least make the draft reflect that.

I agree that players peak way too early. I think Patrick Kane dropped to like 7.5 overall before he even hit 30.

I'm fairly satisfied with how they fixed the road game imbalance, even if it's not great either.

Seconding the problems with AHL management and too many players refusing two way deals. with the cap now, many legitimately good, established NHL players have had to resort to PTOs and bargain-basement 1 year deals in October. It's flatly stupid that you can't sign a lot of young players to 2 way deals (besides, I'm not a CBA expert but don't you have to play a certain amount of games to even qualify for a one way?)

Also, can someone explain why simulating a day of the season requires four (by my count) loading bars? This seems to be the result of the new patch.

Lastly, while this is easy to fix by changing the settings, the default injury rate is still ridiculous.

Last edited by skrollins; 10-18-2013 at 05:29 AM.
skrollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #75
jonash
Bat Boy

Hi!

I uninstalled the previous program and installed this new version. Then I started a new game, and eventually after playing a while saved it. Now, trying to continue my game I get the message "invalid database". Any ideas?
jonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #76
Ciccarelli
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonash View Post
Hi!

I uninstalled the previous program and installed this new version. Then I started a new game, and eventually after playing a while saved it. Now, trying to continue my game I get the message "invalid database". Any ideas?
The game might be trying to automatically upload another game you had played (I believe the save files are separate from the actual game files). Try loading the game instead of "continue game".
Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #77
jonash
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccarelli View Post
The game might be trying to automatically upload another game you had played (I believe the save files are separate from the actual game files). Try loading the game instead of "continue game".
Thanks!

However, trying to load a game I have no files to chose from.

I tried reinstalling the game. Then I found my game in "load game", and were able to "continue game". After playing a while, I cancelled the game, started it again - and the same issue - "invalid database".

Last edited by jonash; 10-18-2013 at 05:02 PM.
jonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #78
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsoncat View Post
the salary cap thing makes the game kind of unplayable, I just sent phaneuf down and it decreased my team salary by 925000 ...his contract is 6 million. what the heck?!??
That is the real rule. In the new CBA they want to see even more communism in hockey so in order to do that they took away the only advantage a big market team had over a small...to bury a guy in the minors.

Now in the NHL when you send someone on a one way ticket to the American League, his contract still goes against the cap with the exception of up to 925,000. The Leafs sent Liles down to the Marlies this year, and his cap hit is still against the big clubs numbers with the exception of the 925,000. So that is actually part of the new CBA.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #79
nelsoncat
Minors (Single A)

whoopsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
That is the real rule. In the new CBA they want to see even more communism in hockey so in order to do that they took away the only advantage a big market team had over a small...to bury a guy in the minors.

Now in the NHL when you send someone on a one way ticket to the American League, his contract still goes against the cap with the exception of up to 925,000. The Leafs sent Liles down to the Marlies this year, and his cap hit is still against the big clubs numbers with the exception of the 925,000. So that is actually part of the new CBA.

Touche. Thanks for the lesson.
nelsoncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #80
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

uh, why is Sean Blanchard rated so high